Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That video is insanely loud and annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Children will take any excuse to scream their asses off.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Not sure how many of you have messed around with the portable edition yet, but does the lighting seem way off? Currently dicking around boring a 5x4 tunnel through a cliff, and I seem to be having to put down an inordinate amount of torches just to be able to see what I'm doing...

Is it literally based off the old creative alpha, or just some weird approximation of it? I only started playing just before 1.2, so I'm not even sure if the lighting used to be this dim back in the day...

Bag of Carpets
Dec 20, 2010

Mofeta posted:

Thanks, whoever pointed out that you can move mushroom bits with pistons. I have now wasted my life making this smurf house:

Holy crap! I want to start playing again just so I can make something similar. It's crazy how you can look at hundreds of Minecraft creations and then still come across something new and exciting. :)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tirius posted:

Honestly, I'd hold off for another month or two. There have been a number of updates lately that radically change the game. Notch's current plan is to put out another major update in a week or so, then spend one month bug fixing, and polishing things up before releasing the "finished" product sometime in late November.

Honestly, I just wish they'd release a patch with the Endermen nerf. I'm just watching the landscape around my base slowly dissolve into random blocks. I spend half my time on tree repair duty.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have four pistons set up in exactly the same way, to create a 2x2 sliding door. The two pistons on the right work. The two pistons on the left, the top one works, but the bottom one doesn't. :byodood: I'm close to giving up on exactly why the hell this is happening. Is there a known bug in Minecraft regarding redstone and 2x2 doors?

edit: I've figured something out. Apparently that one piston will only fire when it's interacted with, e.g. you put some redstone next to it, mine a block under it, remove it and put it back, etc. What's going on?

edit never mind. it just decided to fix itself.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 11, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh hey, can those lily pads be moved around or will they get destroyed like desert shrubs?

Lovin' that mushroom house by the way

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Macaluso posted:

Oh hey, can those lily pads be moved around or will they get destroyed like desert shrubs?

Lovin' that mushroom house by the way

You can pick them up, I don't know if they can be put back down.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pollyanna posted:

I have four pistons set up in exactly the same way, to create a 2x2 sliding door. The two pistons on the right work. The two pistons on the left, the top one works, but the bottom one doesn't. :byodood: I'm close to giving up on exactly why the hell this is happening. Is there a known bug in Minecraft regarding redstone and 2x2 doors?

edit: I've figured something out. Apparently that one piston will only fire when it's interacted with, e.g. you put some redstone next to it, mine a block under it, remove it and put it back, etc. What's going on?

Oh, well, before the fix I could have solved this, having built a double door myself yesterday. Probably not in the most efficient way, but it made sense at the time.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Anyone else getting a lot more diamonds in 1.9pre3? I say this because I found about 20 diamonds in a 10x20 area.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Jeb just tweeted this for enchanting , I haven't played the prerelease so I don't know if this is old hat or not.
Might be cool
Edit: okay so I think I hosed something up

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 11, 2011

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
For some reason I'm really hoping "Smite" means it summons lightning but it probably doesn't.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

For some reason I'm really hoping "Smite" means it summons lightning but it probably doesn't.

It's damage vs. Undead.
He was tweeting about trying to come up with name earlier.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

wyoming posted:

It's damage vs. Undead.
He was tweeting about trying to come up with name earlier.

I wonder if Ghasts are considered undead.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Well for enemy mobs you've got Zombies, Skeletons, Ghasts, Pigmen, Zombie pigmen, Blaze's, Creepers, Spiders, mini-spiders, silverfish, Endermen and soon Ender Dragons. Did I miss any out there?

Having little D&D experience beyond Baldur's Gate and Planescape I'd classify them as below.

Undead
  • Zombies
  • Zombie pigmen
  • skeletons
  • Ghasts

Planar demonic/elemental/other
  • Blaze
  • Endermen
  • Ender Dragons
  • Snow golems

Natural beasts/critters/humanoid.
  • Creeper
  • Pigmen -MAKE green ones for orcs and goblins dammit!
  • Spiders
  • Silverfish

Now what's really needed are prefixed/suffixed randomly generated enemies. the older the biome they spawn in is give enemies weapons and armour with a chance of elemental enchants. I want my week-old town to be raided by a pack of pigmen in leather armour armed with stone axes/wooden swords. Along with a leader pigman riding a spider, wearing an enchanted golden crown and hurling weakish lightning bolts.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
Holy poo poo check out this email from a sperglord that Notch just tweeted:

Apparently you can't implement a feature that a modder put in or else it's creative theft. I mean, this isn't new poo poo from modders, but it's hilarious too that they're shipping it off to Notch.

Also, "Snow breaks torches? gently caress!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh god, the last line of that is the best. "I know how hard it is to make games, I made 4 all by my self"

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Just imagine the email that guy is going to send after Notch tweeted it to the whole world to laugh at.

White Legs
Apr 24, 2006

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price." :911:

MikeJF posted:

Oh god, the last line of that is the best. "I know how hard it is to make games, I made 4 all by my self"

I wanna see those 4 games

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

A Sassy Dog posted:

Apparently you can't implement a feature that a modder put in or else it's creative theft. I mean, this isn't new poo poo from modders, but it's hilarious too that they're shipping it off to Notch.

Oh minecraft community. One minute you're calling notch a oval office because he won't implement mods, then he goes and implements ideas from mods and that makes him a oval office.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Bicehunter posted:

Just imagine the email that guy is going to send after Notch tweeted it to the whole world to laugh at.

Dude will unironically think that Notch put it up to show everyone how smart and clever this guykid is.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/11309884313/pre-releases-and-adventure-updates

No more stable releases until the official release. Sounds like it's a bummer for multiplayer, but at least singleplayers can now enjoy new features more often.

Notch posted:

And we’re going to release that version of the game live on stage in Vegas at MineCon! Woooo!

Up until then, instead of trying to squeeze in another real release, we’re going to do weekly (or so) pre releases, aimed at advanced players."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

A Sassy Dog posted:

The worst part is that now that Notch has put them in the game himself, I no longer have a reason to keep working on my Caveman Squidwards mod.
All that work has gone to waste.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

If you have redstone on a block, pistons (and maybe other devices) 2 blocks below will be activated when it's on. You just have to change the state of a block beside the lower piston by, say, moving, placing or destroying a block beside it, even if that shouldn't power it. I'm not sure how it works in your door, but if you've got one that retracts into a wall then the second set of pistons (that pushes and pulls the first and the door blocks) count as changing the state when they push the first pistons into the doorway, where the first ones are powered.

I've also found that piston doors are slightly unreliable. Sometimes one that works perfectly will go crazy for no reason, then work fine when I open and close it again.

crossektion
Jun 8, 2011

by T. Fine
That sperglord is ridiculous, but honestly notch has sort of been borrowing some ideas from modders for a while now.

RedXII
Dec 4, 2006

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

A Sassy Dog posted:

I want a special edition of the yogscast with Simon and Lewis reading this letter in the voices they do. Like they used to with the minecraft forums posts.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

A Sassy Dog posted:

I looked the mod up:

:allears:

I really don't get the hate for wolves and snowmen.
If dags and suicidal golems are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Verizian posted:

Having little D&D experience beyond Baldur's Gate and Planescape I'd classify them as below.

You forgot the slimes! Though they're so rare they might as well not exist.
Since we have mushroom climates that could potentially be toxic, I wonder if we'll ever get slime pools he talked about way back. Though, I'm pretty sure slimes came out nothing how he originally intended.

Also, it seems more likely that ghasts would be demons, not undead.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'd be hilarious if Notch could find the account associated with the email address and refund the money they paid for the game and ban the account. Since you've got so much experience making games (4!) you can just make your own minecraft. With hookers, and blackjack!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Now that they've announced that there will be no more stable releases until the final version of the game (is that right?) I might finally stop stalling and start playing the game again. Are the pre-releases available for download from the Minecraft website or will I need to search the thread for the links?

Also, is there any indication of the biome code changing between now and the final version? That's the main thing preventing me from playing the game at the moment; I really don't want to build up a cool area only to have it break when the biome code is updated.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

RedXII posted:

I want a special edition of the yogscast with Simon and Lewis reading this letter in the voices they do. Like they used to with the minecraft forums posts.

Yeah, that would rule. Indeed, what I do miss from the Yogscast in Mod Spotlights on terrible mods, like that Charlotte, coupled with Simon doing his best Internet Retard (DO NOT STEAL!) impersonation.

Edit: And I would imagine it would be easy to see if Notch has stolen anything, but comparing it to whatever the sperg called his mod.

Iacen fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 11, 2011

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Is there a particular reason why boats explode when you crash them and dont turn into their inventory carriable sprite version? Like minecarts do when you hit them.
I want to build a working dock where I dont have to rebuild my boats everytime I use them.

E: If I tweet this note to Notch with a note about how good at making games I am will he impliment it?

Rozzbot fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 11, 2011

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rozzbot posted:

Is there a particular reason why boats explode when you crash them and dont turn into their inventory carriable sprite version? Like minecarts do when you hit them.
I want to build a working dock where I dont have to rebuild my boats everytime I use them.

E: If I tweet this note to Notch with a note about how good at making games I am will he impliment it?

Line your docks with wool or soulsand to keep your boats from breaking.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
So, I just made a map I'm going to have my friends play. It's a short race to the finish map.

I was wondering if any of you would like to see if I missed any obvious chances to cheat.

Here's a link to the map:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/o1a876k7o6008bz/TwoPlayerRace.zip

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe
Looks like Notch is planning on multiple hit boxes for mobs.

https://twitter.com/!/notch/statuses/123724207661137920

This can only go well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neofelis posted:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/11309884313/pre-releases-and-adventure-updates

No more stable releases until the official release. Sounds like it's a bummer for multiplayer, but at least singleplayers can now enjoy new features more often.

Ugh come on. I pretty much only play multiplayer at this point so this is a real kick in the balls :(

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

That video is insanely loud and annoying.

I feel bad for the kid because I guarantee some people are going to find out where he lives and threaten or stalk him or whatever just because he had the audacity to say Notch wasn't a literal angel who descended from heaven to gift us normal people the holy grail of Minecraft.

On another note, it is getting really annoying that more and more people are bitching about Notch adding all this content and saying the game was best at Alpha and we should go back to that (which they probably never played). It is annoying to hear people bitch about the difficulty when it was always completely trivial to survive the first night, since there was never anything stopping you from digging a hole in the ground if you didn't build a hut (because their goal of surviving the first night is building a spergshack with torches and waiting in front of their computer for 10 minutes not doing anything but beds are just so awful because now it is too easy).

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

crossektion posted:

That sperglord is ridiculous, but honestly notch has sort of been borrowing some ideas from modders for a while now.

One person, or even one small team, coming up with ideas vs. the whole of the internet.

You're actually going to suggest that they can't or shouldn't implement anything that anyone else thought up first and/or crudely implemented in a (necessarily) free mod.

Please tell me how that isn't a stupid idea.

This sperg is so mad about Minecraft having potions. HE HAD POTIONS FIRST!

Was it this potion mod? http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/440202-17x-pazazs-mods-potions/

This potion mod? http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/527178-173-boost-potion-mod/

Wait, maybe it was THIS potion mod? http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/239374-166-frizkies-mods-june-7-potions-mod/

Which of these glorious dorks could be the one owed millions and millions for Notch stealing THEIR idea!

They need to decide this among themselves first I think. In a televised fight to the death. :black101:

The Snark fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 11, 2011

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Apparently Notch stole everything from this mod: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/391995-166-potioncraft-v02-updated-jun-21-witches/

Which judging from the screenshots have even worse graphics sprites than what Notch has created.
But then again, the effect of the Enchanting table is so pretty, I've almost forgiven Notch of the horrible, eye cancer inducing cobblestone.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Trivial ideas are worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I was laughing at that kid until I realized if he added "community" after Minecraft I'd be right behind him shouting just as loud.

That email, wow.