Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

RentCavalier posted:

Ahaha...oh god...

Sen's Fortress.

gently caress. What. What the gently caress. Alright, uh, let's take it from the top:

Giant snake-men? That's scary, but I can deal with that. They just take some heavy hits and are weak to fire. Thanks for that, whoever suggested I go get some fire weapons. So I got that squared away--still takes some hits to fell 'em and taking two at once is drat near suicide but I can deal. Electricity-shooting snake bitches? Alright on their own, like your typical mage. Swinging blades? Well that is scary but I got light armor and I can dash pretty well. NO problem. Combine all of those together? God. drat. And that's not all. I desperately fight my way to the roof, charging through traps and bad guys and all that--this is the first place that has really drained my Estus dry really quick--and then...I get loving CARPET-BOMBED!? THE FUUUUUUUUUUCK!? And it's a whole gauntlet! I was hoping--praying, really--that the bonfire was up on the roof. The little hints said "Imminent Bonfire"...I didn't think they meant BOMBFIRE! Uuuugh...

So that sucked. A lot. It was good though, that I died and failed so heavily, because I needed to go to bed anyway, and if left to my own devices I'll play this game all night. But alright, I need your help. Where's the bonfire at? What's the quickest route to get there? Do those projectile-shooting assholes respawn? Why is this place such a loving goddamn death trap!?

Go up to the roof. Once you get outside (where the dude starts throwing firebombs at you), run up two staircases. There'll be a break in the railing you can walk off to fall on a balcony with the bonfire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Jump into the pit the pendulums throw you into for sweet prizes!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gazmachine posted:

No, no I did not. Where the blue bollocks is that?! I spent 45 minutes looking aruond and found all manner of secrets and hidden NPCs, but no bonfire. What the shiz?
The message on the floor telling you where it is is still there, right? Without that message I might have missed it to.

You ARE reading messages, right?

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

RentCavalier posted:

words
You were really close. You run up a set of stairs onto a landing where you can get firebombed; if you run up the next set of stairs onto a second landing, turn right immediately and drop off the exposed edge to land directly on the bonfire. Just make sure you have enough health to survive the fall. It's a short fall but I have died that way so fair warning :)

krystal.lynn fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 11, 2011

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

RentCavalier posted:

Ahaha...oh god...

Sen's Fortress.

gently caress. What. What the gently caress. Alright, uh, let's take it from the top:

The projecticle assholes do indeed respawn. Here's a little advice from someone who's attempted this stage roughly 30 times:

The mages have more poo poo up their sleeve than that. I recommend a magic defence shield to switch to just for them. If you get too close, they do a four sword swing with a long windup. If that catches you, they grab you with the swords (damage) then stuff you into their mouths (lots of damage) as a lighter class, this one shots me. In addition, they occasionally spit poison from their gobs.

You can kill the exploding boulder golem before you start the boss fight. Stay inside the stairwell and bats attcks (shield up. Wait until he spazzes out and falls over, then go in and wail on him. Repeat.

And I have no idea where the loving bonfire is. :negative:

EDIT: No message for the bonfire. But now I know where it is, cheers! This does still mean I need to get up there one more time. Just one more time.

Sen's Fortress is my Blighttown. If / when I find this "Sen", I'm going to rip his loving cock off and hide it behind a series of lethal traps.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 11, 2011

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
:suicide:

I finally caved and looked up the wiki to learn that Anor Londo is NOT found by going through the New Londo Ruins. Well, at least I met the curse guy and bought his magic with my couple hours worth of dying out there, right? >_>

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

RentCavalier posted:

Ahaha...oh god...

Sen's Fortress.

You're actually almost there, this is the easiest part just DONT STOP MOVING. Once you get to the split in the path go left and follow the bridge around. You can jump over the gap in the bridge and that will lead you to a vendor and the key to the shortcut. Once you get to the top go kill the mad bomber who bombs at daylight and he won't respawn. Go kill boss and collect his soul

Edit vvvvv

The shortcut comes after the tauros demon, climb up the tower and use the falling attack on him to make the fight significantly easier. Critical hits (ripostes/backstabs) are all about timing, and its different for every enemy. Play with it some and you'll get the feel for it.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 11, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This game. This loving game :suicide:

I'm playing a Warrior, still using the starting equipment plus the master key, which I definitely don't regret taking, considering I've already opened a couple of doors hiding loot and tough-rear end enemies in the Undead Burg with it. I've leveled up endurance, strength and dexterity a couple of points each.

But I must be doing something wrong. First off, do I really have to run the entire firebombing skeleton run every time the Taurus Demon crushes me into a pulp, isn't there a bonfire closer to it?

Secondly, I can't seem to score critical hits, is there a trick to it?

Thirdly, those two tough-rear end enemies in the Burg, is it realistic to try and take them on now or are they for later? I'm talking about the knight down the stairs and the dude at the bottom of the tower behind the locked door?

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm playing a Warrior, still using the starting equipment plus the master key, which I definitely don't regret taking, considering I've already opened a couple of doors hiding loot and tough-rear end enemies in the Undead Burg with it. I've leveled up endurance, strength and dexterity a couple of points each.

But I must be doing something wrong. First off, do I really have to run the entire firebombing skeleton run every time the Taurus Demon crushes me into a pulp, isn't there a bonfire closer to it?

No bonfire unfortunately. Buy a short bow from the nearby merchant and snipe the firebombers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So I just beat the Bell Gargoyles and am about to go into the forest and get the Elite Knight armor.

But I'm still using the Drake Sword, and it kind of seems too powerful. Nothing else I've found is even comparable, even stuff like the gargoyle axe. But I also haven't upgraded anything yet - will other weapons end up being more powerful than the Drake Sword if I upgrade them?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ughh, the drake sword seems to do almost no damage to the gaping dragon. Is this a good time to upgrade? I've got a +5 longsword that I can probably bring up to +10.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Made some boss weapons.

Lifehunt Scythe - Performs a Bleed that lasts 50% of the target's HP for PVP. Kinda lovely but great for a first strike weapon. The negative is that you get the bleed effect too, but that's why you have the Bloodshield right?

Quelaag's Furysword - Looks awesome as gently caress sets poo poo on fire along with hitting things hard with a B dex modifier. Probably going to use this along with a spear full time now.

Dragonslayer Spear - Looks awesome as hell but I don't have that stats to wield it correctly. Shoots lighting from what I hear.

So my rear end in a top hat PVP build is now Chameleon, Poison Mist, Acid Surge, Lifehunt Scythe. I may not win often, but I'm going to have fun.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Fonzarelli posted:

Ughh, the drake sword seems to do almost no damage to the gaping dragon. Is this a good time to upgrade? I've got a +5 longsword that I can probably bring up to +10.

Naw, it just has a shitton of health. The Drake Sword won't outlive it's usefulness until you find the Lightning Spear at Sen's Fortress. Just keep at it.

Spike McMayhem
Jun 3, 2005

Mind if I rape ye, then?
Argh I know it's thematically correct but what retard decided the female burg merchant should look exactly like the same mooks who I've been threshing like wheat for hours. :mad: Now she is sitting out of reach shouting at me like Grandpa Simpson. :smith:

This is my tradeoff for taking out Dildo Knight and that 'hope you like looking at pixelated leaf patterns when you're trying to fight' Capra gently caress with no big problems. :unsmith:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ghostinmyshell posted:

Made some boss weapons.

Lifehunt Scythe - Performs a Bleed that lasts 50% of the target's HP for PVP. Kinda lovely but great for a first strike weapon. The negative is that you get the bleed effect too, but that's why you have the Bloodshield right?

Is this made from Priscilla's soul? I wanted to make it because I thought it looked quite awesome, but misinterpreted the bleed effect from the Japanese wiki -- I didn't realize it made you bleed as well. Welp,

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

LukeyBoy posted:

Holy poo poo, just helped someone defeat the Belfry Gargoyles. My character was using the Drake Sword and the fight lasted less than a goddamned minute!

I almost felt bad for making it so easy.

When I won against them, I went in and IMMEDIATELY pressed R2 just after R3, and killed one. I melee'd the second one but it wasn't too hard. This was my third try, I was astounded and wondered if the damage I'd done in my previous attempt was still in effect, it felt like I cheated.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

enojy posted:

Is this made from Priscilla's soul? I wanted to make it because I thought it looked quite awesome, but misinterpreted the bleed effect from the Japanese wiki -- I didn't realize it made you bleed as well. Welp,

Yes, but the Bloodshield you pick up before the bridge boss in the painting negates it completely.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
So, the Absolution merchant guy stuck in the "hug me" pose inside that one bell-tower? He sells a miracle called Karmic Retribution for 40k soulbucks. As far as I can tell, it does not actually Do anything. I'm not sure what "automatically counters strong attacks" is supposed to mean, but I got myself hit by some strong attacks while it was up, and nothing happened other than the pain you'd expect.

Also, I killed (late boss spoiler)Gravelord Nito and now I can't find (late bonus NPC merchant spoiler)Patches the Jerk anywhere. I encountered him before that boss, then he presumably wandered off somewhere. I have heard he's supposed to sell me some nice, rare things if he's still alive?

ghostinmyshell posted:

Dragonslayer Spear - Looks awesome as hell but I don't have that stats to wield it correctly. Shoots lighting from what I hear.

I do have the stats to wield it correctly! It's pretty sweet. Ridiculously long reach, pretty decent lightning/physical damage that scale up with stats, unlike every other lightning thing in the game. While 1-handing it, R2 does a stab that fires a lightning bolt, at the cost of like 20 (out of 300) durability. While 2-handing it, R2 has a two-stab combo, the first one is just a heavy thrust, the second one is a poke-then-lift thing that throws lighter enemies around, but it's slow as hell to use. To make it, you need a +10 spear; I just down-graded the piece of poo poo lightning spear that I found in sen's fortress.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

KozmoNaut posted:

Thirdly, those two tough-rear end enemies in the Burg, is it realistic to try and take them on now or are they for later? I'm talking about the knight down the stairs and the dude at the bottom of the tower behind the locked door?

You have to parry or backstab to get the extra crit damage on a weapon (unless something's changed from Demon's Souls but it seems the same so far to me).

The black knights aren't to terrible if you have a half decent shield, lure them into an area where you have room to fight them (the bonfire works well so if you die it's a short walk to your souls), and are under 25% of your max load. Just stay close to him and circle his shield arm to give yourself some space from his weapon hand. When he swings let go of block once you know it didn't connect and circle around to his back. Try to get a backstab if you can otherwise just take your hits as they come. If he does manage to hit you wait until he's recovering from a backstab to use your flask.

The guy at the bottom of the stairs I haven't killed yet so can't offer any advice on.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ghostinmyshell posted:

Yes, but the Bloodshield you pick up before the bridge boss in the painting negates it completely.

Nice, I might as well still go for it, since I've got a Halberd +4 just sitting around. My Endurance is at 40 right now also, giving me pretty good bleed resistance. I already feel like I've outleveled the rest of the game at this point, so I could keep going with Endurance if need be.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So when you leave a covenant, do you keep all the rewards you got for joining/advancing the covenant? I like doing as much as I can in one playthrough and i'd really like to get all those sweet prizes if its possible.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

StringOfLetters posted:

I do have the stats to wield it correctly! It's pretty sweet. Ridiculously long reach, pretty decent lightning/physical damage that scale up with stats, unlike every other lightning thing in the game. While 1-handing it, R2 does a stab that fires a lightning bolt, at the cost of like 20 (out of 300) durability. While 2-handing it, R2 has a two-stab combo, the first one is just a heavy thrust, the second one is a poke-then-lift thing that throws lighter enemies around, but it's slow as hell to use. To make it, you need a +10 spear; I just down-graded the piece of poo poo lightning spear that I found in sen's fortress.

I regret so much getting the wrong soul now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

StringOfLetters posted:

Also, I killed (late boss spoiler)Gravelord Nito and now I can't find (late bonus NPC merchant spoiler)Patches the Jerk anywhere. I encountered him before that boss, then he presumably wandered off somewhere. I have heard he's supposed to sell me some nice, rare things if he's still alive?

edit: whoops, I got my area progression out of order. I too only ran into him where you mentioned, and haven't seen him since. Maybe he's at Firelink Shrine now?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Blargh.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Blargh.
The mimics in this game are actually pretty impressively scary, from a design standpoint. Those and the catbears are probably my favorite monsters. The catbears are just fantastic.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, Iron Golem. what do I do against this thing? I'm using an Iaido+5 with 33 Dexterity and I'm only doing 25 per swing :negative:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So where its the earliest place I can find a whip, and can I make it Divine? This is important.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jetpack Postman posted:

Naw, it just has a shitton of health. The Drake Sword won't outlive it's usefulness until you find the Lightning Spear at Sen's Fortress. Just keep at it.

Ughhh but he hits so hard and the tail whip just completely wrecks me everytime :(

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Fuzz posted:

So where its the earliest place I can find a whip, and can I make it Divine? This is important.

The only whip I know of is in Blight Town right before the first fog door. You have to drop down to get it. There should be no problem making it a holy whip, but I haven't run into any vampires yet.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Blargh.

Mimics don't respawn in this game do they? :(

I just found the serpent ring but I already cleared the mimics from Sen's Fortress and Anor Lando

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Filthy Monkey posted:

The mimics in this game are actually pretty impressively scary, from a design standpoint. Those and the catbears are probably my favorite monsters. The catbears are just fantastic.

I just about poo poo myself the first time the mimic got me.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

CodfishCartographer posted:

Holy poo poo, Iron Golem. what do I do against this thing? I'm using an Iaido+5 with 33 Dexterity and I'm only doing 25 per swing :negative:

If you can go Human, I found an NPC summon I think, his summon sign is in the empty tower to the right of the room with the fog gate to initiate battle.

He tanked like a motherfucker (took like maybe 35% after getting grabbed and smacked) and did insane damage. I just sat back and plunked arrows at the Golem.

I'm 90% sure that it was an NPC based on the way it acted and moved, but hot drat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fonzarelli posted:

Ughhh but he hits so hard and the tail whip just completely wrecks me everytime :(
It still really bugs me that one non-stat-scaling weapon just gets replaced with another, which will carry you for almost the entire rest of the game.

I don't suppose From is planning to adjust that with a patch? Over on the Japanese side of things people are wondering the same thing.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It still really bugs me that one non-stat-scaling weapon just gets replaced with another, which will carry you for almost the entire rest of the game.

I don't suppose From is planning to adjust that with a patch? Over on the Japanese side of things people are wondering the same thing.

You think they'll try to lower the soul count on the forest buddies too? Because that would suck. A lot.

Also, wanted to ask, what exactly are the stats to the Moonlight Butterfly weapons? Because i'm thinking of making a +10 spear to make the soul weapon. My INT is low though, so I'm not too sure.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

U-DO Burger posted:

Finally beat the boss fight at the end of Anor Londo going solo, but gently caress that was a trying experience. I thought that it would be smartest to kill the lancer first, because he was faster. Then fatso got a shocking transformation and murdered me. So that didn't work well. Then I decided to kill the fatso instead, only to have the lancer grow up and wreck my poo poo. At this point I'm pretty upset that I'm doing so badly. Then I have this brilliant idea: whittle them both down to nothing so that after I kill one, the other one won't take more than a hit to kill. So I take like 10+ minutes doing just that. I kill fatso and the lancer transforms, healing himself to full.

:negative:

I took S+O a step further...and decided to whittle them down to the point where if I cornered them right I could kill them at the same time... I did it! And then one respawned with full health anyways.

Was some bullshit.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If your int is low don't bother with the moonlight spear. make the shield instead. it's blocking stats are bad except for magic but it's useful as it's special attack is multiplied by the power of your weapon, making it viable for any build.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

You don't want to deal with either of those guys yet. Crits I think are only from behind, and the targeting is really finicky.

And yeah, you have to do that route every time, but a) it's a good way to grind some souls, about 700 per attempt, and b) it's a good place to practice fighting and single-pulling guys. If you step onto the bridge you can pull one guy individually, then deal with two on the far side, then deal with one or two flame bomb throwers just outside that room. Deal with the three guys upstairs (practice focusing down one guy with a couple other guys also in the fight), deal with the archer in the tower, then practice pulling the spear guy solo. At first it was a huge ordeal to clear through it, but after a while the whole thing was like clockwork.

Once you get a little tougher, the guy at the bottom of the tower drops a ring that really helps with encumbrance as a warrior/knight, so he's worth going back for. Even in full armor a bunch of his attacks are backsteppable. I just made sure I had a full green bar of blocking so I could survive it if he did happen to tag me, and kept poking him in the face (another lesson here -- be patient and don't get greedy!) until he died. But until you do the first real boss, and probably get the drake sword, I'd definitely skip him.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

If your int is low don't bother with the moonlight spear. make the shield instead. it's blocking stats are bad except for magic but it's useful as it's special attack is multiplied by the power of your weapon, making it viable for any build.

If i get good at parrying, I'll give it a try. Right now for me it's either 95 physical- 100 or nothing at all.

Moonlight soul is not sounding too valuable right now

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
well you're in luck because the moonlight shield can't parry! It trades that for the special projectile I mentioned. It's honestly a pretty good shield because it, essentially giving you a high damage spell that costs the shield's durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What's the early game shield of choice? I've been using the Hollowed Soldier Shield, but surely there must be something better. Any equivalent to the purple flame shield?

• Locked thread