Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

skywalker6705 posted:

I ask all this because I started as a Knight with normal knight armor and did okay, then picked up the Elite Knight armor in Darkwood when I found it, and have been rocking that ever since. I still get two shotted sometimes, but generally I hold up okay.

This is written for me. You can update armor?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just did some forest hunter invading and drat, were most people:
-with a friend
-super ultra powerful.

The last group, that made me give up, were just waiting for people. I invaded them about three times and they were just waiting in the same spot. Oh well, at least I got all the rewards.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

What's the early game shield of choice? I've been using the Hollowed Soldier Shield, but surely there must be something better. Any equivalent to the purple flame shield?

The Eagle Shield you can find in the upper part of Blight Town is I think the lightest Greatshield in the game, and gets pretty high stability as well as good defense against lightning.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
It's funny how Blighttown feels so ridiculous the first few times you try to go through it, and then eventually you realize it's such a tiny level. Once you know where you're going, it's probably the quickest route to a boss in the game besides the Hydra. One thousand questions incoming after beating Queelag!:

-I still have 0 green titanite shards, and I'd like to make an enchanted weapon. Anyone have anything enchanted +5, and if so is it worth it?

-What's the deal with Demon Ruins, should I come back here later?

-Can I still be a Darkwraith at this point? I know it's some obscure path to be one, but if someone maybe give me a hint without outright spoilers...

-Is the pyromancer that was at the bottom of Blighttown gone for good? She had some awesome looking stuff, oh well I guess that's incentive to make a cool Pyromancer for the next playthrough.

Sorry for the question bombardment, but I get pretty spergy when there are multiple directions to take in a game.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

EvilCornbread posted:

Just got there with the default Knight armor, also just got Havel's ring so I'm sub-50% which is nice. So it's worth spending the shards/souls to upgrade the default armor? I don't want to burn the mats I've got if I'm going to find an upgrade soon.

The Elite Knight Armor is within your reach. run down into the Darkroot Garden and find it guarded by some stone soldiers in the forest.

Since the blacksmith sells titanite shards for 800 souls, I just visited him after beating a boss and upgraded the hell out of my weapon and my elite set. Suddenly life was good.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Damnit. I was fighting the Hydra and had atleast one head chopped off, and a couple of heals left. Things seemed to go okay; but all of the sudden I just glitch through the floor and fall to my death. That doesn't happen too often; though, but god drat it.

(I just got the Capra Demon, and the butterfly. How far into the game am I? Am I like, halfway? I've rung 1 of the bells)

Taxxorrak fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 11, 2011

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

Damnit. I was fighting the Hydra and had atleast one head chopped off, and a couple of heals left. Things seemed to go okay; but all of the sudden I just glitch through the floor and fall to my death. That doesn't happen too often; though, but god drat it.

There is a very shear drop off in the lake as you approach the hydra. Watch the ground closely and make sure you don't run off the cliff.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Is Blighttown full of those poison ninjas and dogs?

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Sacrificial Toast posted:

There is a very shear drop off in the lake as you approach the hydra. Watch the ground closely and make sure you don't run off the cliff.
Oh. It was my bad then. Atleast the game didn't glitch out. If it's my fault, then the game is working as intended!

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

invalid posted:

You will miss those poison ninjas and dogs when you get there.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

How do I get to quelaag from the "back way" into blighttown via valley of the drakes? I've never even been in the proper way.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

invalid posted:

Advice:Bring Bloomed purple moss

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

(I just got the Capra Demon, and the butterfly. How far into the game am I? Am I like, halfway? I've rung 1 of the bells)

No where near.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

im a girl btw posted:

How do I get to quelaag from the "back way" into blighttown via valley of the drakes? I've never even been in the proper way.

Take the elevator down and cross the swamp to the white mound right in front of you. It takes like 5 minutes from firelink shrine to the boss.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Leyburn posted:

No where near.
Less than 10% I'd say. Dark Souls is a huge loving game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 11, 2011

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What ARE the stat requirements for Dragon Slaying Spear anyhow? Viable for a normal build? It sounds loving awesome and I want it, even thought I've been going pretty much pure dexterity.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Less than 10% I'd say. Dark Souls is a huge loving game.
Christ. I think that's a good thing, though. Even though it takes along time when you get stuck, the game is always fair, in it's own twisted loving way.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

It seems like there is a lot going on in this game that I am missing by playing it blind. I like to think that my guy is this Conan-type character that's just stumbling through the world on some crazy odyssey.

I "accidentally" joined a covenant. What happens now?

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Ok pvp is officially loving broken. Some guy just invaded my game, not only was he untargetable, (stupid ring) but he rapid fired me with posion throwing knives, leaving me not able to move until i was dead. Is this some kind of exploit? What the gently caress.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

invalid posted:

This is written for me. You can update armor?!

Yea. The Elite set is a different set from normal Knight armor, but all armor sets in this game can be reinforced with shards at a Blacksmith. I carry around 3-4 different sets at the moment, one for each status resist (poison, curse, fire, lightning) and then tank out in Elite Knight armor the rest of the time. Always invest in the chest piece first, as that one piece gets 3-4 points per shard. I have a +7 chest piece and I can wear just THAT with anything else and be alright most of the time.

I'm totally going all over the place in this game though, I love it. I just randomly decided now was the time for the Catacombs, grabbed a divine sword and headed down. :downs: It feels awesome to go where ever I like and steamroll through it via sheer effort. Darkroot Basin at SL 18ish was rough. But I left it at like SL 26ish. So, it worked out. This kind of random accomplishment isn't something you could get in Demons Souls.

Also I finally reached Blighttown after entering it from the Valley of the Drakes.

People really need to check out and help edit the wiki though, alot of the questions about Quelaag and stuff were things I just edited in earlier today to try and help. In alot of these boss fights, sometimes it's best to man up and run in naked once or twice to try and find their blind spots. Quelaags is 45 degrees to her left or right, and you can stay there for almost the whole fight if you look out for her AoE attack.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Whoever designed the Crystal Caves needs to die in a loving fire.

Long trek to get to them? Fine. Onslaught of crystal golems? Fine. Invisible paths? Fine. But Super Crystal Golems who will send you flying off the small-rear end pathways into a bottomless pit with any hit, and take an asston of hits with probably the most disgustingly powerful weapon in the game is just too much. Come on, at least give me a bonfire when I get here, something.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011
About how many poison knives did it take to do this?

Yes Man Kablam
Mar 18, 2010
Got to the big bridge with the Red Dragon, not far from that Knight with the sun on his chest. Do I have to run AT the dragon and get burned to get past, is that it? Because I've tried all other options, and I'm either getting beaten to death by skeletons in the graveyard, hacked apart by those white ghost things underground, or smashed by either the huge loving dark knight or the large, club wielding silver knight.

Or am I missing something altogether? On a related note, this game is way harder than demon's souls.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bastard Priest posted:

Ok pvp is officially loving broken. Some guy just invaded my game, not only was he untargetable, (stupid ring) but he rapid fired me with posion throwing knives, leaving me not able to move until i was dead. Is this some kind of exploit? What the gently caress.
Were you wearing light armor with a low poise rating?

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl

ericthebear posted:

About how many poison knives did it take to do this?

Hundereds, it took about a minute to kill me doing that. Seriously has to be some exploit. Couldnt move at all.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Were you wearing light armor with a low poise rating?

This, heavy(ier) armor with poise (Elite Knight comes to mind) or the Wolf Ring...or a shield, I guess.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

S-Alpha posted:

Whoever designed the Crystal Caves needs to die in a loving fire.

Long trek to get to them? Fine. Onslaught of crystal golems? Fine. Invisible paths? Fine. But Super Crystal Golems who will send you flying off the small-rear end pathways into a bottomless pit with any hit, and take an asston of hits with probably the most disgustingly powerful weapon in the game is just too much. Come on, at least give me a bonfire when I get here, something.

If it's any consolation, once you have it figured out you can run from the bonfire to the boss in about 2 minutes without having to fight anything in the crystal caves.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bastard Priest posted:

Hundereds, it took about a minute to kill me doing that. Seriously has to be some exploit. Couldnt move at all.
Being stunlocked is just one of the risks you take when you wear light armor. I wouldn't call it an exploit.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Yes Man Kablam posted:

Got to the big bridge with the Red Dragon, not far from that Knight with the sun on his chest. Do I have to run AT the dragon and get burned to get past, is that it? Because I've tried all other options, and I'm either getting beaten to death by skeletons in the graveyard, hacked apart by those white ghost things underground, or smashed by either the huge loving dark knight or the large, club wielding silver knight.

Or am I missing something altogether? On a related note, this game is way harder than demon's souls.

Sprint towards the dragon, you'll find an alcove to the right with a stairwell which leads you below the bridge.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Being stunlocked is just one of the risks you take when you wear light armor. I wouldn't call it an exploit.

Unfortunately I think he may have stumbled on one of the true legitimate glitches that've been found. Could be he just got ganked normally, but this has been making the rounds.

Bastard Priest posted:

Somebody made a video of this online with the Dragon Head Stone, but there's apparently and item usage glitch which can allow you to use something infinite or nearly. I haven't looked into it yet myself (don't want temptation if I hit a impossible boss), but I'm almost certain this is something From will patch when they find a way, as it's completely broken. Not in a "oh you didn't work for it" (duping) or a "oh it's not hard enough" (boss ai) type of way. This glitch flat out breaks all combat if you learn to pull it off.

God I am so sick of hearing bitching about duping. It didn't ruin Demons Souls, and if/when it happens here it won't ruin this. What will ruin it however is the fragmentation in the servers. I almost NEVER get summoned, but I drop summon signs all the drat time.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Sanzuo posted:

You will miss those poison ninjas and dogs when you get there.

I don't know what that means. I've done ok until the boss

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

oneliquidninja posted:

You have to parry or backstab to get the extra crit damage on a weapon (unless something's changed from Demon's Souls but it seems the same so far to me).

The black knights aren't to terrible if you have a half decent shield, lure them into an area where you have room to fight them (the bonfire works well so if you die it's a short walk to your souls), and are under 25% of your max load. Just stay close to him and circle his shield arm to give yourself some space from his weapon hand. When he swings let go of block once you know it didn't connect and circle around to his back. Try to get a backstab if you can otherwise just take your hits as they come. If he does manage to hit you wait until he's recovering from a backstab to use your flask.

The guy at the bottom of the stairs I haven't killed yet so can't offer any advice on.

It's the backstabbing that I can't get a proper grip on. I assume the best way is to circle around their non-weapon side and use the light attack?

I'll have a go at the black knight, I found a shield that was slightly better than the heater shield my warrior started out with. The other dude one shots me every time no matter what I do, so I'll save him for later.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's the backstabbing that I can't get a proper grip on. I assume the best way is to circle around their non-weapon side and use the light attack?

Circle around behind them, step slightly to the right of their spine and hit light attack with your shield down.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

So my LE finally arrived, I am currently making preparations to die.

I love that they put the Wiki link on the back of the box :3:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

^^^^ I particularly liked the soundtrack CD and Behind-The-Scenes DVD. And the artbook is awesome, too.

Dan Didio posted:

Circle around behind them, step slightly to the right of their spine and hit light attack with your shield down.

Thanks, I'll give it a stab :v:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Elite Knight(+3'd the whole set EXCEPT gloves, because hard leather gloves are freaking amazing, for some reason.) lasted me all the way till 50ish.

But I just picked up the Ornstein set after beating a boss, it's golden lion armor and it is amazing. Except the gloves, which are beaten handily by Hard Leather +6 (heh.)

The best part about this is I joined the Sun covenant and now when I get summoned to help people I am a giant golden glowing lion woman.

I'm farming shards in the depths so I threw down my soapstone and helped some guy kill the boss. It's really fun to be the cool powerful dude helping out the new guy when I was one of the ones who needed help two days ago.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Anywhere in Anor Lando I can get some humanity? Preferably 2 bits of it? I'd like to kindle and also need to summon someone to help me with the boss :(

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Just ended up joining the dragon covenant and ultimately while INCREDIBLY cool, I don't think it's a good covenant for my massive 2-handed wielding character who always wears plate. Too bad too, because it's freaking awesome to use the dragon stone, and I'm really curious about that level 2 reward. Anyone had much luck with this covenant later? Or should I consider swapping while the swapping is cheap?

For my last run tonight I ended up ringing the second bell and, for poo poo's and giggles, decided to check out the zone attached to it. I cleared the ceaseless purge without too much trouble, but once I saw a field of Taurus Demons and thin walkways guarded by Capra Demons I couldn't stop laughing. Eventually made it to the end of the level, but the final fog door is blocked by a strong force. No skipping plot points for me. :toot:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Is there a secret to breaking grapples? Those albino things in blight town, the assassins in lower burg, loving bushes in the garden. They're easy to avoid when you know the tell, but that first death is always frustrating in a way that most deaths aren't.

Still loving the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Bummey posted:

Is there a secret to breaking grapples? Those albino things in blight town, the assassins in lower burg, loving bushes in the garden. They're easy to avoid when you know the tell, but that first death is always frustrating in a way that most deaths aren't.

Still loving the thread title.

The assassins in the burg are actually them parrying you or backstabbing. Don't put your back to them or attack them with their dagger up and at the ready.

• Locked thread