Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003

evilalien posted:

Press right until you get to the boss soul ascensions. You don't need an ember to use boss souls to make unique weapons.

I tried this and it's not giving me anything. I have the boss soul and a +10 curved sword, am I at the right blacksmith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Metrohunter posted:

take your armor off

No, don't!

Keep your armor up and equip and shield in your left hand and magic in your right, kill the dogs and block Capra's attacks, then kite him infinitely.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

SolidHavoc posted:

I tried this and it's not giving me anything. I have the boss soul and a +10 curved sword, am I at the right blacksmith?
If he is a loving giant, then yes, you are at the right smith. You are looking at "modify weapon" right?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SolidHavoc posted:

No you're not, you have to be at the amor londo blacksmith which if you're trying to make the sword right after killing that particular boss you won't see for a bit.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
Is there anything that pyromancy scales up from? Also is there any reason to upgrade the pyromancer's flame? Going by the wiki it looks like the answer to both is no, but doesn't that make pyromancy kind of terrible later?

Perfectnumpty
Jul 3, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

You hosed boy, unless you've found the lordvessel. It happened to somebody earlier in the thread too. I am guessing you dropped down without flipping the bridge?

It is actually pretty bad that you can permanently strand yourself there.

Welp guess I'm boned. it's weird I did flip the switch because I walked down, but the bald guy must have flipped it back or something.
oh well I was only level 40 :smith:

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

No you're not, you have to be at the amor londo blacksmith which if you're trying to make the sword right after killing that particular boss you won't see for a bit.

Yeah, I'm at the anor londo golem blacksmith and I am trying 'modify weapon' as it's giving me the option to modify it into a lightning scimitar or something like that. I'm at work so I'll try it when I get home, maybe it's a glitch or something.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

habanero walrus posted:

Is there anything that pyromancy scales up from? Also is there any reason to upgrade the pyromancer's flame? Going by the wiki it looks like the answer to both is no, but doesn't that make pyromancy kind of terrible later?

Pyromancy scales with the level of your pyromancy catalyst, but not with any stats.

Xvimic
Sep 22, 2007

Meow...

Houdini posted:

Is there a way to beat the Carpa Demon with magic/heavy armour? I've got pyromancy on my left hand and soul arrow/hand axe on my right. The heavy armour slowdown means I can't even avoid his first hit when he runs from his spot. :argh:

I'd stick a shield on left too, why not? Also, there is no reason to be married to heavy armor, keep a set of stuff that keeps you below %50 and %25, no reason not to. This is dark souls, sometimes you have to be adaptive.

Shields are absolutely lifesavers, get some endurance, strap one on and never take it off in my opinion.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Ok two questions because Im going through the game hella slow (still in the undead chapel); when will I be able to upgrade a weapon? And when can I join the witch covenant? The one w/ the pyro spells (I started with the witch ring thing).

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Path of the Dragon pretty much owns. Anyone know where I could grind for dragon scales?

The Moon Monster posted:

Pyromancy scales with the level of your pyromancy catalyst, but not with any stats.

However, the higher rank your Flame Hand is, the higher scaling it receives from Int.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SolidHavoc posted:

Yeah, I'm at the anor londo golem blacksmith and I am trying 'modify weapon' as it's giving me the option to modify it into a lightning scimitar or something like that. I'm at work so I'll try it when I get home, maybe it's a glitch or something.

Hit right on the d pad

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Xvimic posted:

I'd stick a shield on left too, why not? Also, there is no reason to be married to heavy armor, keep a set of stuff that keeps you below %50 and %25, no reason not to. This is dark souls, sometimes you have to be adaptive.

Shields are absolutely lifesavers, get some endurance, strap one on and never take it off in my opinion.

I forgot to mention, the knight's shield is my alt left hand equip.

I got the impression you just need to go toe-to-toe with him because wearing light armour doesn't really improve my mobility.

E: I should say mobility isn't really the issue against him. Just that he wrecks me the second I get into the arena.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The.GreyWolf posted:

However, the higher rank your Flame Hand is, the higher scaling it receives from Int.

The scaling your flame hand receives from int only effects the fire damage you do when punching someone with it.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

The.GreyWolf posted:

Path of the Dragon pretty much owns. Anyone know where I could grind for dragon scales?

Valley of the Drakes. It takes forever just to get 1 though.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

The.GreyWolf posted:

I've been dropping the Dragon Eye Stone in Sen's and have been getting a few hits with it. I'm SL66

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm having a much tougher time finding the right weapon and doing damage in this game than in Demon Souls. Right now I'm in Lost Izolith getting my rear end handed to me. Can anyone recommend a good weapon to be looking for with these stats on my character:

27 vitality
27 endurance
29 strength
18 dexterity

Currently I am using lightning spear +3 and eagle shield +3.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Not that I'm anywhere close to getting to +5 because I haven't grinded but do I need a special ember to upgrade from +5 to +10, like the divine ember?

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
I honestly feel like Im never gonn be able to beat this game and I cant remember if I felt that way playing demons souls.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Not that I'm anywhere close to getting to +5 because I haven't grinded but do I need a special ember to upgrade from +5 to +10, like the divine ember?

Yeah, you do. It can be found at the start of the Depths in a chest near the first butcher I believe.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

evilalien posted:

Yeah, you do. It can be found at the start of the Depths in a chest near the first butcher I believe.

Oh, that's what that's for! Okay, thanks. I can give it to the smith in the Undead Burg/Parish right? I need to head back anyway, I want to explore the valley of drakes before blighttown (plus I hear there's a shortcut through blighttown in there).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Moon Monster posted:

The scaling your flame hand receives from int only effects the fire damage you do when punching someone with it.

So intelligence doesn't affect the power of the basic fire spell at all? drat.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

mikeraskol posted:

I'm having a much tougher time finding the right weapon and doing damage in this game than in Demon Souls. Right now I'm in Lost Izolith getting my rear end handed to me. Can anyone recommend a good weapon to be looking for with these stats on my character:

27 vitality
27 endurance
29 strength
18 dexterity

Currently I am using lightning spear +3 and eagle shield +3.

Your stats are fairly similar to what I had when I was in Lost Izalith.

That said, I've been using a Lightning Longsword +5 and it's been working fairly well, it would kill the headless dragon things in about 6 hits

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, that's what that's for! Okay, thanks. I can give it to the smith in the Undead Burg/Parish right?

Yeah, that's the correct blacksmith to give it to.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

reallyprettymad posted:

Ok two questions because Im going through the game hella slow (still in the undead chapel); when will I be able to upgrade a weapon? And when can I join the witch covenant? The one w/ the pyro spells (I started with the witch ring thing).

There's a blacksmith near the Undead Chapel. Go straight out of the chapel from the elevator that takes you back to Firelink Shrine and you'll find him. There's also one at the start of New Londo Ruins, which is directly below Firelink. He's at the bottom of some stone steps, but be careful not to fall in the water.

That covenant doesn't come until a little later. It's after you ring the second bell that you can reach her.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

HalfHazard posted:

There's a blacksmith near the Undead Chapel. Go straight out of the chapel from the elevator that takes you back to Firelink Shrine and you'll find him. There's also one at the start of New Londo Ruins, which is directly below Firelink. He's at the bottom of some stone steps, but be careful not to fall in the water.

That covenant doesn't come until a little later. It's after you ring the second bell that you can reach her.

There's no Blacksmith in the ruins :confused:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Smelly posted:

Ed: I'm dumb

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

The Moon Monster posted:

Oh, that's kind of disheartening. Where'd you find this out?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Smelly posted:

There is. You can access him right at the beginning. Go down the elevator near firelink. Don't go over the bridge on the left, which leads to ghosts. Hug the right side, until you come to a staircase down. He is behind some bars near where the staircase ends.

Edit: Fixed directions.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 11, 2011

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Filthy Monkey posted:

There is. You can access him right at the beginning. Go down the elevator near firelink. Don't go over the bridge on the right, which leads to ghosts. Hug the left side, until you come to a staircase down. He is behind some bars near where the staircase ends.

Are you serious!?

Christ this game..

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I am just too bad at this game to progress anywhere in Anor Londo. The snipers and bat demons just gently caress me up and I don't really know what to do. I beat all of demon's souls without using a shield, heavy armour or miracles but here I am in my pimped out baldar armour with a big shield and selection of awesome weapons and I am just getting ruined. I can run and dodge fine too thanks to havel's ring but I can't dodge the attacks of two bat demons at once.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I am just too bad at this game to progress anywhere in Anor Londo. The snipers and bat demons just gently caress me up and I don't really know what to do. I beat all of demon's souls without using a shield, heavy armour or miracles but here I am in my pimped out baldar armour with a big shield and selection of awesome weapons and I am just getting ruined. I can run and dodge fine too thanks to havel's ring but I can't dodge the attacks of two bat demons at once.

The first solution here is that you should not be fighting two winged demons at once--but instead luring them into a fight one at a time. When you are 'forced' to fight two right before the snipers, you can either run past them and make your way up to the next section or you can lure them back to the archway up--during which time it's pretty easy to get one of the two of them to just fall off the roof while they try to maneuver after you. If you've got the lightning spear (you should have the lightning spear) it's pretty easy to stagger-cheese most enemies to death.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This game won't get its claws out of me. Why do I have to work? There are things still to kill me!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Also, see this fine post from Gyrou
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439963&pagenumber=159&perpage=40#post396336413

Xvimic
Sep 22, 2007

Meow...

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Just so you know, that part is a bitch for just about any character.

The way I got through it was I just laid into the sprint button past the armored giants, past the winged demons and right up the ramp into the sniper. Killed him quick as I could and turned the bend up there. Don't worry there is a bon-fire right afterwards once you enter the building make sure you enter the first door on your left, there is a tough knight in the right door.

If you try that, you will die a lot, but because you aren't taking the time to fight, you will eventually make it through and it shouldn't take that long. By there way there are short-cuts further in so you never have to do that part again once you get through.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
drat, I need to get this soon. If I can find a copy here locally then my weekend will be shot before it even begins. I've been hearing a few complaints about the lag though and that concerns me a bit. I'm sure it will get better but my issue is my lovely lovely internet that is fine most of the day except during prime hours where it slows down to a crawl and randomly just DROPS for a couple of seconds, long enough to lose connection to a server. It was enough to make me stop playing Demon's Souls because it's boring as hell playing by yourself and I couldn't stay connected more than ten minutes without having to completely exit out of the game and re-enter.
If I lose connection in Dark can I just attempt to reconnect or will I have to restart the whole game again?

Also, I'm in Japan right now but I probably won't be in the near future. The North American version of Demon's I was playing just connected to what I assume is the American server without prompting me to choose a different one, which I'm sure didn't help my connection issues. Is each version of Dark Souls(American, European, Japanese) hard-coded to a certain regional server?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

There is. You can access him right at the beginning. Go down the elevator near firelink. Don't go over the bridge on the right, which leads to ghosts. Hug the left side, until you come to a staircase down. He is behind some bars near where the staircase ends.

Are you loving kidding me!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

CaptainStag posted:

drat, I need to get this soon. If I can find a copy here locally then my weekend will be shot before it even begins. I've been hearing a few complaints about the lag though and that concerns me a bit. I'm sure it will get better but my issue is my lovely lovely internet that is fine most of the day except during prime hours where it slows down to a crawl and randomly just DROPS for a couple of seconds, long enough to lose connection to a server. It was enough to make me stop playing Demon's Souls because it's boring as hell playing by yourself and I couldn't stay connected more than ten minutes without having to completely exit out of the game and re-enter.
If I lose connection in Dark can I just attempt to reconnect or will I have to restart the whole game again?

Also, I'm in Japan right now but I probably won't be in the near future. The North American version of Demon's I was playing just connected to what I assume is the American server without prompting me to choose a different one, which I'm sure didn't help my connection issues. Is each version of Dark Souls(American, European, Japanese) hard-coded to a certain regional server?

It still drops you if you lose connection, so yeah, that's the annoying part.

As far as region locked, no, everyone plays with everyone now!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Are you loving kidding me!
I actually hosed up my directions there. Hug the right side. I meant right. Left has the ghost bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I don't understand how people can use heavy armor in this. How the hell do you manage to kill a boss when your roll carries you about 2 feet and you move slower than molasses? I've been using that double equipment burden ring from Havel for the entire game and I religiously keep my burden under 25% for max speed.

I tried wearing the heaviest set of armor I had (Havel's, no less) and I took just as much damage as I did with my gold-hemmed robes with the added bonus of not being able to dodge for poo poo, so I took even more hits on top of that. Is it just that the gold-hemmed robes are stupidly overpowered for their weight, or am I missing something here?

:psyduck:

• Locked thread