Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Iacen posted:

Apparently Notch stole everything from this mod: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/391995-166-potioncraft-v02-updated-jun-21-witches/

Which judging from the screenshots have even worse graphics sprites than what Notch has created.
But then again, the effect of the Enchanting table is so pretty, I've almost forgiven Notch of the horrible, eye cancer inducing cobblestone.

Looks like it'll be a four-way deathmatch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010
new seed 'FudgeMcCudge'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gCYXNc3OPE

it has sexy results

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
What's a good seed for toying around with the Technic pack? I don't want something perfectly flat like Mcedit, but some semi-open plains would do just fine (keep in mind it has to be for 1.7.3, not sure if plain biomoes were in then, I haven't played in a while).

And, uh, does anyone else get motion sick when playing Minecraft sometimes? I used to get it all the time with sprite-based FPS like Doom/Quake, but I've managed Minecraft pretty good so far, until I tried the multitude of options in Technicpack. I think it's something with the smooth movements in such a blocky/low-res world. Oh welp.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

A Sassy Dog posted:

Holy poo poo check out this email from a sperglord that Notch just tweeted:

Apparently you can't implement a feature that a modder put in or else it's creative theft. I mean, this isn't new poo poo from modders, but it's hilarious too that they're shipping it off to Notch.

Also, "Snow breaks torches? gently caress!"

That is loving amazing. This should be the response post anytime someone asks about Technic and mod permissions.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

crossektion posted:

That sperglord is ridiculous, but honestly notch has sort of been borrowing some ideas from modders for a while now.

That's certainly one way to say it, and another would be that notch possibly had a pile of features planned out that he never implemented yet, or that many of these features are nothing new to games, and this kid isn't the first person to mix things together and make potions in a video game.

YOU ADDED BUTTER. WHAT. THE. gently caress. AND YOU STOLE *MY* CHURN. I INVENTED THE loving CHURN AND GUESS WHAT, MY BUTTER USES MILK FROM COWS TOO WTF WTF SUE.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

glug posted:

That is loving amazing. This should be the response post anytime someone asks about Technic and mod permissions.

I made 4 games :smug:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

mcsnitches posted:

new seed 'FudgeMcCudge'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gCYXNc3OPE

it has sexy results

Aside from the fact that this video doesn't use that seed, what's so special about it?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

That email. Wow.

On a different note, I heard that we might get repairing soon. Is this true?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
We already do! Get two same tools together in the crafting tool (same material and all) and they'll sum their durability.

On a different note, yesterday night I spent a good half hour trying to solve a redstone problem, and went to sleep out of frustration. After giving it a good night's rest, I open minecraft, and upon my first attempt, I solve this:

Basically, I was trying to have two levers, and like a hallway's light switches, whenever you pressed EITHER one of the switches, the end product would change (In here the piston).
I made this so I could lower or raise a piston bridge from both sides, but by god did it take time.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

ArfJason posted:

We already do! Get two same tools together in the crafting tool (same material and all) and they'll sum their durability.

On a different note, yesterday night I spent a good half hour trying to solve a redstone problem, and went to sleep out of frustration. After giving it a good night's rest, I open minecraft, and upon my first attempt, I solve this:

Basically, I was trying to have two levers, and like a hallway's light switches, whenever you pressed EITHER one of the switches, the end product would change (In here the piston).
I made this so I could lower or raise a piston bridge from both sides, but by god did it take time.

I can't tell what you did there because I'm tired but if you didn't, try checking out a XOR gate. Either lever you toggle with toggle the output always.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

A Sassy Dog posted:

That ridiculous email

For the record, Jeb had mentioned the Baby Animals mod a couple of times and so I happily gave it to him to do whatever Mojang wanted with it (including change it or not use it at all if that's how it turned out). Besides that, it's not exactly original to add animal breeding to a fantasy game that has farming in it, or potions or any other RPG element for that matter.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Ugh come on. I pretty much only play multiplayer at this point so this is a real kick in the balls :(

Yeah, I'm with you on this. The desire to work on megaconstructions and giant projects on my server is dwindling to zero as everyone knows the map is going to be archived once the next release is out & we've got people wanting/needing snow biomes for certain things. SSP is a little too self gratifying for me & not being able to help/see my friends figure out awesome stuff isn't worth it. And after getting a server running with Bukkit and a couple dozen plugins, running vanilla would present a whole other host of lost functionality in order to get Squidwards, potions and fancy Nether.

It'd be nice if they just skipped ONE weekly update to cap off the game systems that aren't 100% like they did in 1.8 & release 1.9 just so the Community can try and reach parity sometime before December.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

A Sassy Dog posted:

God do I love the minecraft modding community. I can't help but laugh at how crazy they are. They have that whole adfly thing going on wasting tens of thousands of people's time for a measly $4-5 to fulfill some odd sense of entitlement they have. It makes me wonder if this is the sentiment of the younger modding generation.

:corsair:

Get off my lawn.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Younger generations are just horrifically self-entitled in general.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
On the topic of breeding and animal farming, I've been paranoically breeding animals since hearing they are finite, and I've been wondering, are these enough to be sustainable?

Since cows more often than not give me no meat, I'm afraid all my farming will end up being useless. I've also chowed up like 30 foodstuffs while taking the original 5 or so cows up to those numbers, and if I start killing them, I'll end up with little food and less animals.
Long story short, good god, farming.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The amount of animals you need for farming to be "sustainable" is two.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

crossektion posted:

That sperglord is ridiculous, but honestly notch has sort of been borrowing some ideas from modders for a while now.

At this point, or even at the point of 6 months ago let's say, what features were there that he could put in that a modder hadn't already done at least once?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

SIr_Lienad posted:

Looks like Notch is planning on multiple hit boxes for mobs.

https://twitter.com/!/notch/statuses/123724207661137920

This can only go well.

That should be interesting considering just one hitbox barely works as it is now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Schweinhund posted:

That should be interesting considering just one hitbox barely works as it is now.

I doubt it's of much use for something like a zombie, but with an entity as big and weird shaped as a dragon, it probably becomes a necessity.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Nenonen posted:

I doubt it's of much use for something like a zombie, but with an entity as big and weird shaped as a dragon, it probably becomes a necessity.

So long as I can still murderficate skeletons and creepers with only a teeny tiny bit visible behind a cube, I will be OK. I do laugh in my head at the dragon having a big cubic hitbox though, that's so Notch.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Nenonen posted:

Dragons are invulnerable right now, so I wonder if they will be killable at all or in what way would you be able to slay them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

Dragons are invulnerable right now, so I wonder if they will be killable at all or in what way would you be able to slay them.

Arrow put through one pixel size weak spot in its underbelly.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Schweinhund posted:

As long as he implements it correctly (lol) it should make things a lot better. Like chickens won't be impossible to click on so I can mate them. :argh:

...How the gently caress do chickens mate without eggs anyway?

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

PalmTreeFun posted:

As long as he implements it correctly (lol) it should make things a lot better. Like chickens won't be impossible to click on so I can mate them. :argh:

...How the gently caress do chickens mate without eggs anyway?

He's gonna have to fix the horrible laggy fighting of smp then.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^
I keep hearing people say this, but I've yet to experience this at all, are you sure it is just not the server's hardware or something client side like lack of memory?

lordfrikk posted:

I'm hoping that was either a joke or is part of his testing method for the dragon's other abilities (negating blocks it runs into as it is flying). Would be neat if the Ender contained one last tier of weaponry that was needed to kill the dragon, or perhaps another stronghold structure that holds a special enchanting table at the end of it. Lots if interesting things he can go with this and since he is so drat excited about the dragon I am sure Notch will come up with something nonstandard.

Here's another thought. The dragon's invulnerability is granted by several key blocks locked away in the Ender, you have to fight your way to them, destroy said blocks, and the dragon's defenses drop, allowing you to fight it. Up until this point the dragon is passive unless attacked, but the moment you remove the last key block, it becomes hostile and targets in on your location.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 11, 2011

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

lordfrikk posted:

Maybe this is why he's implementing multiple hitboxes? Like, a dragon is "invulnerable" as in "it can't be killed", but maybe you have to damage it's wings in order to disable it or something.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I don't think the 'invulnerability' is meant to be any kind of feature with the dragon. When you work on a new thing like that you might first be concentrating on certain aspects like AI and animation, and add stuff like hit detection later.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
A short video was posted of Notch working on Minecraft at the Mojang offices; its interesting to see what kind of work goes into one of the best indie games to date:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXsTYhhw9SI

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ah wash mahseylf wif a rag on a steeyick :haw:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Quick question ladies and gentlemen: if you update to a prerelease, like 1.9.3, and then the "official" 1.9 version comes out, will the game automatically update or will it not since I chose to install a non-standard release?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Node posted:

Quick question ladies and gentlemen: if you update to a prerelease, like 1.9.3, and then the "official" 1.9 version comes out, will the game automatically update or will it not since I chose to install a non-standard release?

Should do it's normal auto-update. If not, you just force it, and then all is well.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Narciss posted:

A short video was posted of Notch working on Minecraft at the Mojang offices; its interesting to see what kind of work goes into one of the best indie games to date:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXsTYhhw9SI

This is just about as unfunny as all those jokes about the guy who runs Valve is fat.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

IUG posted:

This is just about as unfunny as all those jokes about the guy who runs Valve is fat.

Gabe Newell eats the likes of notch for a little snack
:rimshot:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Probably just Broseidon's brother.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If notch couldn't implement any ideas that were mods first, he'd pretty much have to cease all Minecraft development at this point.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

A Sassy Dog posted:

Holy poo poo check out this email from a sperglord that Notch just tweeted:

Apparently you can't implement a feature that a modder put in or else it's creative theft. I mean, this isn't new poo poo from modders, but it's hilarious too that they're shipping it off to Notch.

Also, "Snow breaks torches? gently caress!"

With all the different mods out there it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Thats one of the problems with having such a big modding community. I get the feeling that notch is in a way trying to 'outdo' the modders, while what would obviously be the best thing for minecraft as a game is if all the best and amazing mods were just bought up and added to the game.

I don't blame him though. Buying up mods would mean extensive interaction with the minecraft community.

Roy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 11, 2011

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
I think Notch is going in the wrong direction with minecraft, and missing a lot of its potential. I'd really like more of a spore-style community-driven content approach. You'd have an in-game mod browser, other player's buildings automatically dropping into single player worlds, that sort of thing. I'm imagining something like the toybox in garry's mod, where you can just open up a browser and drop new mobs or new blocks straight into your game. The modding community for Minecraft could really take off if Notch could make it more accessible to players and stop breaking every mod every version.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Coach Sport posted:

I think Notch is going in the wrong direction with minecraft, and missing a lot of its potential. I'd really like more of a spore-style community-driven content approach. You'd have an in-game mod browser, other player's buildings automatically dropping into single player worlds, that sort of thing. I'm imagining something like the toybox in garry's mod, where you can just open up a browser and drop new mobs or new blocks straight into your game. The modding community for Minecraft could really take off if Notch could make it more accessible to players and stop breaking every mod every version.

Maybe you should send him an email.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Coach Sport posted:

I admittedly hadn't played much spore, but I swear there was some process where a person was paid money to keep my penis aliens out of other people's worlds, and that might not be the direction they want to take with Minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'd be nice if notch took this as a cue to finally step in and say, "listen up assholes, all youre doing is modding MY game. You can't loving copyright this poo poo and if youre making money off of it, we're going to go bethesda on your rear end."