Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

Bad Bromance posted:

Patches the Hyena help! I told him I was a cleric thinking that's what I needed to do and now he's hostile to me, am I hosed for getting him as a vendor?

Unfortunately, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

dexplosivo posted:

Seriously. I've yet to even see the point of using something that isn't Lightning or Fire Weapon. I was all keen to do another Faith build, but it doesn't seem like stat scaling will ever catch up to the elemental weapons.
Try using the True Sword of Artorias perhaps.

Also Greater Magic Weapon and the different types of resins are a good place to start when using a +15 weapon.

Honestly I much prefer this system over the "damage stat dump" build. It makes hybrid characters better to play which lets you mess around with other things as you want. The unfortunate downside is that sorcery still seems like poo poo without a sky high int or at least wearing the supporting rings, while pyromancy is practically a gimme in the raw damage department just at the cost of souls.

[e]Hm I wonder if you can use GMW/Resin on Raw weapons ...

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Anyone know where I can get the key for the gate in new londo to drain the water?

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Bad Bromance posted:

Patches the Hyena help! I told him I was a cleric thinking that's what I needed to do and now he's hostile to me, am I hosed for getting him as a vendor?

You could try absolving yourself of sin if you really need Patches. I'm not sure if him going hostile for that reason is counted as "sin", but it de-aggroes many other NPCs...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Emron posted:

Behind the butcher in the depths, there's a chest. It's the first room of the depths, can't miss it.

Ha, no idea how I missed that. Thanks.

Lukeycoon
Nov 16, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

You can farm demon titanite from a respawning titanite demon in Lost Izalith.

Speaking of lost Izalith and Solaire, how worth saving is he? I don't really want to join the spider chick covenant and farm up 30 humanity. I am in his covenant though, and would really like his sword and shield. If I let him go hollow, do I get his poo poo? Do I have to go in the back way and not kill the bugs to get his poo poo? Is there any benefit from saving him, apart from having him with you on the final boss?

I went in the normal way and killed him. He dropped his armor, sword, shield, and talisman. None of them were anything special except for cosmetic value and flavor text. I felt bad about having to kill him though.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
Nevermind, he fell to his death trying to kill me :v:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Capsaicin posted:

Is there any reason to use Humanity any time you're before a bonfire? Like, does having a higher humanity total in the top left make you stronger in the actual game at that time?

And sometimes that just goes up. I don't know why. Any ideas?
I was standing at a bonfire earlier today immediately after dying, hadn't moved a muscle and was making some food. Came back and I had 1 humanity. No idea.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Perfectnumpty posted:

Welp guess I'm boned. it's weird I did flip the switch because I walked down, but the bald guy must have flipped it back or something.
oh well I was only level 40 :smith:

It happened to someone earlier in the thread, who managed to find a way out somehow by rolling or jumping to another ledge or something.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I am worried I completely screwed over my build after making a few false assumptions.

I started Cleric and planned to make a Faith build using Divine Weapons, cause hey I liked doing Blessed in Demon's. I got my Endurance to 40 and Faith to just under 30 (I stopped putting points into it when I got the Lightning Spear and it ridiculously outclassed my Divine Halberd/Claymore weapons). With the other random points I've thrown into Vit/Str/Att I'm at level 71 and stuck at Ornstein & Smough, and judging from posts in this thread that's somehow too high level, yet they're still giving me trouble. I can shield tank like a boss with my Endurance and a Baldur Shield/Eagle Shield, but I can't put out anywhere near the damage other players seem to do. I made Quelaag's Furysword for Fire Damage, but since my Dex is just high enough to use it I'm not getting any real scaling bonus from it.

What can I do to turn this around? I don't think I have access to Fire weapons yet. I could two-hand a Zweihander if I upgraded it to Divine/Lightning, and while I'd prefer Divine to make use of all the Faith I've pumped into, it seems Lightning is better? What other weapon options would make sense for a character with low Dex and middling (20) Strength?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

BP posted:

You could try absolving yourself of sin if you really need Patches. I'm not sure if him going hostile for that reason is counted as "sin", but it de-aggroes many other NPCs...

I said I was a cleric and didn't really like his tone when he said there was treasure in the pitch black pit ahead, so I struck first and killed him. :v:

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I keep reading that in order to join the Blade of the Darkmoon Covenant that I have to go to the second bonfire and find a statue near there. The Second bonfire wouldn't happen to be the one with Solaire would it? It might also help to know that I've beaten O&S and have gotten the Lord Vessel from that one chick.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Stiggs posted:

All I have at the moment is some crappy leather armour and the stuff you start with as a Wanderer. Whereabouts do you get that Elite Knight Armor?

Darkroot Basin, in the first area with the big stone golems that have a slow spell.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

YorexTheMad posted:

I am worried I completely screwed over my build after making a few false assumptions.

I started Cleric and planned to make a Faith build using Divine Weapons, cause hey I liked doing Blessed in Demon's. I got my Endurance to 40 and Faith to just under 30 (I stopped putting points into it when I got the Lightning Spear and it ridiculously outclassed my Divine Halberd/Claymore weapons). With the other random points I've thrown into Vit/Str/Att I'm at level 71 and stuck at Ornstein & Smough, and judging from posts in this thread that's somehow too high level, yet they're still giving me trouble. I can shield tank like a boss with my Endurance and a Baldur Shield/Eagle Shield, but I can't put out anywhere near the damage other players seem to do. I made Quelaag's Furysword for Fire Damage, but since my Dex is just high enough to use it I'm not getting any real scaling bonus from it.

What can I do to turn this around? I don't think I have access to Fire weapons yet. I could two-hand a Zweihander if I upgraded it to Divine/Lightning, and while I'd prefer Divine to make use of all the Faith I've pumped into, it seems Lightning is better? What other weapon options would make sense for a character with low Dex and middling (20) Strength?

Go human and summon help, S&O are a total bitch to fight solo. Smough is weak to lightning, but the fight is a hell of a lot easier if you kill Ornstein first.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Darkroot Basin, in the first area with the big stone golems that have a slow spell.
It absolutely isn't a given that you would want to trade out your wanderer equipment for elite knight equipment, they both have different roles.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Filthy Monkey posted:

Speaking of lost Izalith and Solaire, how worth saving is he? I don't really want to join the spider chick covenant and farm up 30 humanity. I am in his covenant though, and would really like his sword and shield. If I let him go hollow, do I get his poo poo? Do I have to go in the back way and not kill the bugs to get his poo poo? Is there any benefit from saving him, apart from having him with you on the final boss?

Just my opinion, not mechanical, but Solaire is a nice guy and a golden bro, you should totally help him out because he and Siegmeyer are both cool dudes who just want to adventure and pal around. Not very many nice dudes in Dark Souls, help the ones who are IMO.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Samurai Sanders posted:

It absolutely isn't a given that you would want to trade out your wander equipment for elite knight equipment, they both have different roles.

Absolutely this.

My character is deprived, but when I found a set of wanderer clothes I've kept it in my inventory at all times, sometimes it's useful to throw on some protective light clothes to get to my bloodstain quicker. :v:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

Summon a couple of helpers. You are kind of high to be finding other people there, but I bet you'll still come across somebody. Turning a one vs two fight into a three vs two fight helps immensely. I've white phantomed for it a bunch of times, and it usually only goes bad if fatty goes down first and the host (or myself) gets hit with the spear impale. If you are quick though, you can save an impaled friend by hitting your flask while they are up in the air. Otherwise it is pretty much an instant kill.

Killing spear-fucker first is definitely the easier approach. The only dangerous move supercharged-fatty has his is electric butt-stomp. Even if you get hit by it in the full, without blocking, it shouldn't be an instant kill.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 11, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can conceivably wear the elite commander armor for the entire game, since it's a nice balance between weight, defense and poise. It's also upgradable with generic titanite stuff so without enough souls and access to Sen's, you can jack it to +10 easy peasy. Whereas a lot of other armors require the harder to get twinking titanite.

It's kind of annoying, cause I don't like the look of elite commander armor.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Vatek posted:

Yes, you have to get all the way to the top and beat the Iron Golem.

I wish I had the strategy guide because I honestly have no idea what Chaos or Occult weapons even do.

Chaos scale off humanity. If you look in the book of the guilty you'll see the Most Wanted almost always have them. (They also have over 20 humanity) Though I don't think it scales after 10 humanity.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
OK SIF WHAT THE gently caress DO I DO TO KILL YOU

I've tried staying at his feet and picking away at him, which helps except I can't predict his spinning attack which I can avoid if I roll at the exact right time but it rips through my guard on the first swing and takes 2/3rds of my health on the second swing.

Any ideas? I hate this fight now.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

darkhand posted:

They scale off humanity. If you look in the book of the guilty you'll see the Most Wanted almost always have them. (They also have over 20 humanity) Though I don't think it scales after 10 humanity.

Oh. gently caress that then, there's no way I'm ever gonna be carrying that much active humanity around.

Gazmachine posted:

I've tried staying at his feet and picking away at him, which helps except I can't predict his spinning attack which I can avoid if I roll at the exact right time but it rips through my guard on the first swing and takes 2/3rds of my health on the second swing.

Come back when you can completely block the spinning swing, the fight is easymode at that point. :v:

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Vatek posted:

Go human and summon help, S&O are a total bitch to fight solo. Smough is weak to lightning, but the fight is a hell of a lot easier if you kill Ornstein first.

Phantoms seem to invariably go for killing Smough first, then I get speared by Ornstein's OHKO because I'm bad at video games. My Lightning Spear is at +4 but it doesn't seem terribly effective against the duo.

Edit - I also have no clue how I got to a "high" level when the only time I've grinded souls was to get shard-buying money. I did get like 10-15 levels from multiplayer play in Painted World, maybe that tipped me over.

YorexTheMad fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 11, 2011

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

Hy_C posted:

I keep reading that in order to join the Blade of the Darkmoon Covenant that I have to go to the second bonfire and find a statue near there. The Second bonfire wouldn't happen to be the one with Solaire would it? It might also help to know that I've beaten O&S and have gotten the Lord Vessel from that one chick.

The bonfire you have to go to is the one on the lowest level in andor londo. Set the rotating stair thing in the middle to its lowest level, walk down the stairs, and there should be a bonfire across the bridge. There is also a statue in the room, and you can move past it if you have the darkmoon seance ring equipped. The darkmoon convenant is on the other side.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I just beat the Iron Golem and without thinking clicked on the ring he left behind.

I never had Symphony of the Night for the PSX so I never experienced the feeling other people say they had when they discovered there was a whole second castle. I felt it just now though.

How loving big is this game?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Gazmachine posted:

Not just at his feet--you want to work your way to be literally under his belly between his fore and hind legs. From there, he flat-out can't hit you if you're in the right position and you'll be free to take shots until he jumps away, at which point you need to work your way under him again.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

Sounds like you need a better shield or more endurance. I would work on those. Upgrade a hollow soldier shield, or an eagle shield, or something like that. You can get it to +10 easily enough with bought chunks.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gazmachine posted:

Any particular reason you're doing the fight now? It sounds like you're doing it a bit earlier than you need to be doing it. If you can't absorb his attacks consider upgrading the stability of your shield, getting a better shield, or just increasing your stamina.

If you want close combat you're doing it the way I pretty much did it. I never rolled those attacks though, the spin is a little too fast for my tastes. Just block preferably.

Alternatively you can try range - my pyro+10 was doing a pretty decent chunk of damage when I was messing with it.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
Anyone have any tips for fighting the two knights shooting arrows in Anor Londo? Even if I do get up next to them I have a very hard time fighting them on such narrow ledges.

Should I just do The Painting first?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

so for a Scimitar, any skeleton will do, yes? Or do I have to get at those huge fuckers who actually give you souls?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Is there a shortcut in sen's fortress to get to the merchant at the top? I've already beaten the boss there if that matters.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
In the painted world I killed the Undead Dragon earlier and just reloaded from the last bonfire and now his dead body is blocking the path forward. Any suggestions?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Is it possible to run past the dragon guarding the bridge early on to get to the bonfire?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you can't block Sif's attacks you just have to learn when it's safe to go in and when you gotta stay away. By default, stay away. His spin attack has him jerk his head to his right (your left) before doing the big swing. It's plenty of time to stay away if you aren't trying to hug his face.

His other attack is a quick swing that you should be able to block and it starts pretty much from his idle animation (sword held to his left). His dash attack might break your guard if you can't handle his first swing though.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

charismaslover posted:

In the painted world I killed the Undead Dragon earlier and just reloaded from the last bonfire and now his dead body is blocking the path forward. Any suggestions?

Do a jump attack and don't freak out.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

charismaslover posted:

That's not the dragon. Anyways, do a flick left stick forward+R2 to do a leaping attack on it and it'll stand up and you can go underneath. Took me 2 hours to figure it out.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Nigulus Rex posted:

Is there a shortcut in sen's fortress to get to the merchant at the top? I've already beaten the boss there if that matters.

Did you get the key from the bottom of the tower the merchant is in? It lets you use the cages right before the boss to transport yourself right near the beginning of the tower.

Macksy posted:

Is it possible to run past the dragon guarding the bridge early on to get to the bonfire?

It is. Try standing near the stairs and waiting until he comes down onto the bridge and then booking it past his legs. Don't try to light the bonfire until he flies away though or you will get roasted. Instead go through the doors on the right to the Sunlight Altar and wait for him to fly away.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 11, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Macksy posted:

Not that I know of. Once you get close enough the dragon will stop just breathing fire and actually go down there and gently caress your poo poo up. Not that you can really tell, there will just be a wave of fire followed by a wave of dragon and you will be dead.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
For S&O:

When you kill one, the other becomes highly resistant to lightning, which is why people with the lightning spear are having trouble, I'd guess. The best way to handle them is probably by running around to get Orenstein away from Smough and killing him. Smough alone is pretty easy since he's so slow.

Scimitar: small skeletons
Falcion: giant skeletons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

OmegaZultan posted:

so for a Scimitar, any skeleton will do, yes? Or do I have to get at those huge fuckers who actually give you souls?

You can just buy one for 600 off the Undead Merchant in the Burg who sells arrows.

• Locked thread