Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So I was re-reading through the LP and made this family tree/summary of Azeri rulers, their wars, reigns and deaths, etc:

http://i.imgur.com/ScAa4.gif

:nws: NWS is because it's pretty huge in size.:nws:

Probably riddled with spelling errors but...

21 rulers, of which one in three died of natural causes...pretty good for Paradox games, I think.

EDIT: Fixed some of the most blatant errors I picked up...

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

DarkCrawler posted:

So I was re-reading through the LP and made this family tree/summary of Azeri rulers, their wars, reigns and deaths, etc:

http://i.imgur.com/Da3GQ.gif

This is pretty objectively awesome. Great work!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Thanks, I was thinking of updating it as the thread goes on. :)

Also objectively awesome: Anyone named Ertan.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Holy crap that is awesome. Definitely update it as the thread goes on.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
That's amazing; how'd you manage to do that?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Adobe Photoshop, spare time and the awesome detail Wiz goes into in his narrative. :eng101:

Degskallen
Aug 23, 2011

I assumed it had got into your wardrobe by mistake, sir, or else that it has been placed there by your enemies.
Haha, that Swedish colony is so utterly useless. I hope it remains in Swedish hands though, it'll make for an even stranger colonial revolution wave and perhaps an interesting war or two between Sweden and Netherlands/Norway.

Oh, and this:

DarkCrawler posted:

is awesome.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Sockerbagarn posted:

You're overestimating the value of Norways territories, they're all too far north both in Europe and America and won't produce any good trade goods, unless you really like fish. Espanya, Italy, Burgundy and Great Britain will still be dominating.

Some of the Canadian colonies are fur and the Netherlands should be pretty goddamn rich with their CoT and all those juicy cloth/iron provinces in their homeland. With the Norse provinces they should get a nice manpower and force limit boost.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Kavak posted:

Definitely update it as the thread goes on.
I really hope you can do this because it's really terrifically awesome and a great summary of what happened so far.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

DarkCrawler posted:

This is amazing sir, great stuff. Might i just suggest a black border on the red font? It gets hard to read when you get to Aram I and Rafiq I.

Also, seconding the wish for it to be updated.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

DarkCrawler posted:

21 rulers, of which one in three died of natural causes...pretty good for Paradox games, I think.

This is sweet as hell. Adding to OP.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

Are the Kurds Sunni or Shiite?

Shiite.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DarkCrawler posted:

This is awesome. You're awesome.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oh what the hell did Norway go and lose their royal independence again

I swear, my country never does anything interesting, even in these LPs. Always getting conquered or becoming vassals or something. Frustrating, is what it is!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

V. Illych L. posted:

I swear, my country never does anything interesting, even in these LPs. Always getting conquered or becoming vassals or something. Frustrating, is what it is!

Colonizing Canada is pretty interesting :shobon:

edit: even if the perfidious Swedes went and :synpa:d the last portion of it.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 11, 2011

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

I'm just sad they didn't get into a PU under Samiland.

Imagine, a Sami colonial empire with the Arctic Sea as its pond.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wiz posted:

This is sweet as hell. Adding to OP.

Woot! :holy:

And yeah, I might have to make bigger changes to the fonts and so on later because I do notice that stuff is hard to read where the "scroll" turns darker.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

...I kind of hope we get into a war with Russia. We can lose those Crimean provinces.

Kurdistan also causes slightly sloppy borders but less so.

Who's that light green nation at the bottom of India? Seems to be doing well.

Ethiopia seems to be driving back Egypt.

Zhen and Nan Han are the clear two rising stars of China.

Also on that map of the religions on India, that's really weird. Sikhism seems to have spread like wild fire especially in comparison to our time line. I suppose Mysore will get a Sikh majority and some fairly heavy but still not in the majority Sikh minorities in some of the rest of the subcontinent?

The family tree is also great. May Sultan Muhammad the Incompetent be the worst of our rulers.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Edit: Just being incompetent, nothing to see here.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rejected Fate posted:

Who's that light green nation at the bottom of India? Seems to be doing well.

Also on that map of the religions on India, that's really weird. Sikhism seems to have spread like wild fire especially in comparison to our time line. I suppose Mysore will get a Sikh majority and some fairly heavy but still not in the majority Sikh minorities in some of the rest of the subcontinent?

That's Madurai.

Yeah I made Sikh spread too fast. Already tweaked it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

DarkCrawler posted:

Woot! :holy:

And yeah, I might have to make bigger changes to the fonts and so on later because I do notice that stuff is hard to read where the "scroll" turns darker.

By the way, Muhammad died in 1567.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wiz posted:

By the way, Muhammad died in 1567.

Yeah, noting some discrepancies in years too...and the latest Nasir is obviously Nasir II.

Latest fixed version:
http://i.imgur.com/aQjxR.gif

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

is that the norwegians in munster? poor ireland, ruled by two different colonial masters

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Huh, just notice Syria's further expanded into Arabia, taking provinces off Medina. Do they get any drawbacks for taking holy cities by force, or any benefits?

Also how many more provinces do they need to form Arabia?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

oystertoadfish posted:

is that the norwegians in munster? poor ireland, ruled by two different colonial masters

I'm pretty sure that's Munster in Munster.

Rejected Fate posted:

Huh, just notice Syria's further expanded into Arabia, taking provinces off Medina. Do they get any drawbacks for taking holy cities by force, or any benefits?

Also how many more provinces do they need to form Arabia?

If you hold both Medina and Mecca you get a bonus and can also declare yourself Caliph if you're a major or great power.

Only bedouin arabic countries can form Arabia as it stands right now. Not sure if Syria forming Arabia really makes sense.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Wiz posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Munster in Munster.

If you hold both Medina and Mecca you get a bonus and can also declare yourself Caliph if you're a major or great power.

Only bedouin arabic countries can form Arabia as it stands right now. Not sure if Syria forming Arabia really makes sense.

My understanding of Shia Islam isn't that great, but wouldn't a Shiite claiming the title of Caliph be heretical?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

My understanding of Shia Islam isn't that great, but wouldn't a Shiite claiming the title of Caliph be heretical?

My understand of Shia Islam is not good enough to answer this either.

Anyone who knows their stuff, would it make sense for a Shiite to claim to be Caliph? If not I can limit it to Sunnis.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 11, 2011

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

Pakled posted:

Probably, but with the 12th Imam in occulation, all the Syrian caliph has to do is take a page from the Safavid dynasty and just claim that the 12th Imam is guiding him and his dynasty.

I'd say keep the Caliph modifier if it is being used to represent a Muslim power having the religious authority and power; let the religious scholars do the rationalization of why this Twelever is Caliph now.

Servant fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 11, 2011

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006
Being Shia didn't stop the Fatimids.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

I thought Syria identified itself as an Arab state? That might just be a modern day thing but that's the impression I've always got. I'm guessing they have a different cultural group to the rest of Arabia, though.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
I thought it'd be nice if the Dutch Empire got a fancy new flag, so I made this:

The lion now has an axe and a crown to reflect the PU with Norway. If you don't want to use it Wiz, that's okay with me.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rejected Fate posted:

I thought Syria identified itself as an Arab state? That might just be a modern day thing but that's the impression I've always got. I'm guessing they have a different cultural group to the rest of Arabia, though.

Oh they're definitely an Arab state, I just don't know whether being Shah of Arabia (the peninsula) would actually be more prestigious than being the Shah of Syria though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

MadPierrot posted:

I thought it'd be nice if the Dutch Empire got a fancy new flag, so I made this:

The lion now has an axe and a crown to reflect the PU with Norway. If you don't want to use it Wiz, that's okay with me.

I'm not gonna change flags in EU3 based on stuff that only happens in this playthrough, but if say the dutch-norwegian empire exists in Vicky, I'll put it to use.

Saving it for now.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Wiz posted:

Oh they're definitely an Arab state, I just don't know whether being Shah of Arabia (the peninsula) would actually be more prestigious than being the Shah of Syria though.
Shah of Seleucia :helladid:

Anyway, chances are that the Norway/Netherlands personal union will be dissolved in a century or so anyway. But the advent of nationalism in the 1800's (or whenever it'll happen in the LP) will have an interesting effect on it if it does last that long.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

I figured that it wouldn't last so I didn't expect the flag to get used, but I thought I'd at least give it a try. We actually might need to get the iconography for the Dutch straight, because the red lion we're using now is the symbol for Holland, and IIRC Flanders was the nation to form the Netherlands. No House of Orange so far means no Lion of Nassau though, so at least there's that point of divergence!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Is that the Royal Lion Rampant dual-wielding an axe and a sword?

Because that is some serious business. Might want to make it yellow, though. Norway's lion is definitely yellow, and I *think* that the Dutch counterpart is, as well.

e. Flanders has a sable lion, according to wikipedia.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

The House of Orange-Nassau's lion (usage as a Dutch emblem dates to William of Orange, who has yet to appear) is gold; Holland's is scarlet, and the lion of Flanders is black.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

I would have thought it would be, although I'm not versed in such matters. Being the land of the two holiest cities of the land and a term already brought to land Syria is part of, I don't think any distinction between the northern part of the peninsula and the southern part being Arabia or not had occurred yet, I think that happened at a later date.

Syria is connotative of only Jerusalem, after all. While a holy city of Islam, it's not the same stature of Medina and Mecca, which Arabia has the connotations of. It also signifies a unification of the Arab people.

Then again Caliph might be enough of a title to represent their stature in the Islamic world than having their land title change as well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MadPierrot posted:

I figured that it wouldn't last so I didn't expect the flag to get used, but I thought I'd at least give it a try. We actually might need to get the iconography for the Dutch straight, because the red lion we're using now is the symbol for Holland, and IIRC Flanders was the nation to form the Netherlands. No House of Orange so far means no Lion of Nassau though, so at least there's that point of divergence!

Agreed. Also glad I'm not the only one who would actually sperge about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

MadPierrot posted:

Holland can form Netherlands just as well as Flanders though, as can Brabant or Frisia, so I don't think it's time to talk about a flag change until Victoria 2.

• Locked thread