Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Coach Sport posted:

other player's buildings automatically dropping into single player worlds,

How would something like this work, though? I mean. How do you ensure that someone's Crazy loving Monster Farm doesn't get dropped into another person's world and not get hosed up somehow that ruins their poo poo?

I understand what you were getting at with the idea, but I don't know how this could feasibly work without a team of people handling content control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How dare you add something to your game that I came up with first (as a mod for your game)?

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008
I get a great deal of joy out of someone trying to be taken seriously with quotes like:

YOU STOLE THE CAULDRONS FROM BETTER THAN WOLVES? WHY?
NEGATIVE POTIONS? WTF?
you stole my enchantment table

I like to picture this all happening in a court of law, and imagine the faces of the judge and jury.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Mulefisk posted:

I get the feeling that notch is in a way trying to 'outdo' the modders, while what would obviously be the best thing for minecraft as a game is if all the best and amazing mods were just bought up and added to the game.

What would he be buying, though?

The code? He'd have to re-write most if not all of it -- a lot of modders are terrible coders (no Notch jokes, now; you're missing the point). It might even be faster to start from scratch.

The idea? We'll pretend for a moment that this idea holds any water, even though most mod ideas are already highly derivative of other existing works that Notch is obviously also inspired by. Okay, so who does he pay? There are like five potion mods, does he have to "buy" all of them? What makes one more valid than the other? The Aether came after the original skylands dimension that Notch announced, messed with, and then removed, so who owns the idea for that one?

I don't think "buying" existing mods would obviously be the best thing for Minecraft at all. I think it would only reinforce the sense of self-import that some of these jokers seem to have.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

From Jeb's twitter:

quote:

I don't think there's enough time to work on the NPCs before the feature freeze :/

And there went most of my interest in the prereleases. That's the one feature I was really excited about and it looks like it's going to be months before it's further developed.

He also mentioned that repairing an enchanted weapon removed the enchantments... which did just about as much to kill my interest in that feature.

I mean, these guys are working on Minecraft, where the whole appeal is building things. Why do they have such an attachment to ephemeral random items? I think it'd be fun to actually build up my character...

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Eiba posted:

He also mentioned that repairing an enchanted weapon removed the enchantments... which did just about as much to kill my interest in that feature.

This is true; I found that out the hard way. Kind of a pain in the rear end.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

King Hotpants posted:

This is true; I found that out the hard way. Kind of a pain in the rear end.

Do you repair the weapon so that it can do more base damage, or do you let it decay so that the enchantment still takes effect? Seems like a good way to have some strategy in the game.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?

Legs Benedict posted:

How would something like this work, though? I mean. How do you ensure that someone's Crazy loving Monster Farm doesn't get dropped into another person's world and not get hosed up somehow that ruins their poo poo?

I understand what you were getting at with the idea, but I don't know how this could feasibly work without a team of people handling content control.

It could work like how Spore handled it. A building gets dropped in to your world, you rate it. Only buildings above a certain (player-specified) rating get in. Buildings can be tagged too, so you can specifically subscribe to or remove "Monster farms" from your random buildings list. You could set up a different list for each world you generate, so you could have a world full of only crumbling castle ruins, or a post-apocalyptic modern world, or a sci-fi themed world.

You could even have a feature where players can tag buildings in-game, so if the creator forgets to tag it as a "Monster farm", if enough players tag it as one it'll be added to the "Monster farm" list. Players can pick out buildings and add them to custom lists too, so you could have a "Goon buildings" list that others subscribe to, and that sort of thing.

If you end up with some hideous building in your world (or a building that is literally a dick), its just a matter of going into the menu and clicking "remove", which would remove the building and restore the area to the default generated world. You could also give the building a bad rating so its less likely to show up in other peoples' worlds.

This might take more coding chops than Mojang has, though. Not to mention it'd be completely irrelevant for multiplayer.

Random buildings aren't really necessary except for people who only play singleplayer, and gently caress those people. What'd really improve minecraft is better modding support and an in-game mod browser.

Take the technic pack for example: Imagine if it was compatible with multiplayer without having to dick around and make an entirely separate version. Now imagine you could join a server running technic (among other mods) without futzing around downloading mods from some external site. Then you could leave that server, join a hardmode server with dozens of different mobs you've never seen before from dozens of different mod authors and not have to worry about compatibility or reinstalling minecraft. All you'd have to do is check the list of mods a server has installed when you join and confirm that you want to download them.

I think minecraft would make a great "base game" for a modding community, sort of like Garry's mod. All this adventure update work seems silly to me, since Mojang fundamentally can't compete with hundreds of modders. Everything new they're adding has already been done better by a mod, anyways. The modding community also gets shot in the foot pretty hard by having to update their mods every time Notch releases a new version. There aren't very many people who download mods either, since installing them is difficult and they're all hidden away on the awful minecraft forums. Good modding support would really give Minecraft more legs.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
The problem with that whole wacky scenario is that you assume people give a poo poo about mods. I don't think the majority of the people playing the game even use mods, or if they do they use little ones like the minimap one or whatever.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003

YOURFRIEND posted:

The problem with that whole wacky scenario is that you assume people give a poo poo about mods. I don't think the majority of the people playing the game even use mods, or if they do they use little ones like the minimap one or whatever.

That's the problem, though. Mods are hard to install and hidden away on the minecraft forums. There's tons of cool mods out there, why not make them more accessible? It'd go a long way towards keeping minecraft fresh (there's only so many times you can build a huge spergfort before it gets old).

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Coach Sport posted:

That's the problem, though. Mods are hard to install and hidden away on the minecraft forums. There's tons of cool mods out there, why not make them more accessible? It'd go a long way towards keeping minecraft fresh (there's only so many times you can build a huge spergfort before it gets old).

I don't use mods because mods are generally made with the mindset of "I want x therefore I will mod it in," as opposed to "What will work well with this game, is balanced and reasonable".

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Coach Sport posted:

I think Notch is going in the wrong direction with minecraft, and missing a lot of its potential. I'd really like more of a spore-style community-driven content approach. You'd have an in-game mod browser, other player's buildings automatically dropping into single player worlds, that sort of thing. I'm imagining something like the toybox in garry's mod, where you can just open up a browser and drop new mobs or new blocks straight into your game. The modding community for Minecraft could really take off if Notch could make it more accessible to players and stop breaking every mod every version.

The "modding community" is still full of prima-donnas and self-entitled cunts and not a single gently caress would be given if it all went up in flames. And as for Notch "breaking every mod every version", that's the obfuscation, he's not doing it on purpose, but since mods, as they stand now, are developed from deobfuscated code that needs to be reobfuscated to match the current version's random pattern. When they get around to finishing the "modding api", this issue will disappear.

Coach Sport posted:

When the modding api is introduced, mods will be easier to install, theoretically, not break every patch and perhaps might increase in popularity, who knows!

As for keeping minecraft fresh? Did you miss all the new updates and additions that are going on at the moment?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Eiba posted:

Well is that repairing an enchanted weapon with a regular weapon, or repairing an enchanted weapon with another enchanted weapon? It definitely makes sense that repairing with a non-enchant weapon means you lose or degrade the enchantment.

Coach Sport posted:

They're only hard to install if you're too lazy to download mcpatcher, which installs mods easy as heck.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RedXII posted:

I want a special edition of the yogscast with Simon and Lewis reading this letter in the voices they do. Like they used to with the minecraft forums posts.

That sounds brilliant. Can you link the yogscast guys reading forum posts?

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
I'm pretty sure Notch abandoned the modding API idea. I think his plan was to sell modding licenses to modders (which he later changed to be available for free) that give access to a repository of the latest de-obfuscated source-code. I think he's given up on the whole idea due to the negative reaction everyone had to charging for a modding license. This also doesn't help mod compatibility between SP and MP (or even compatibility between different mods) very much.

And yeah, the modding community sucks right now. Thats because its based on the minecraft forums and nobody uses mods right now anyways because they break with every update and switching between different mods is hard or requires external utilities. If you want the modding community to stop being poo poo, you've got to change a few things, make it easier for people to mod and easier for people to download mods.

edit: I suppose there's no point speculating though, since Mojang doesn't currently have the technical skills or inclination to make awesome mod support happen. I just thought it was a neat idea.

Coach Sport fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 11, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

trandorian posted:

They're only hard to install if you're too lazy to download mcpatcher, which installs mods easy as heck.

The vast majority of the Minecraft audience are people who know very little about computing and file systems and such. Even asking to use MC Patcher is a huge deal and way more work than they're willing to put up with. Having an in-game mod browser and installer would be the way to get everyone into modding.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
So I read a thing:

I hope you enjoy. Or something.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

IUG posted:

Do you repair the weapon so that it can do more base damage, or do you let it decay so that the enchantment still takes effect? Seems like a good way to have some strategy in the game.
Damaged weapons do just as much damage as new weapons.

Considering you need two damaged weapons to repair either... the whole system essentially just gives you a small durability bonus for making multiple weapons.

The bonus it could have provided was a way to keep your favorite enchantments around longer, but it looks like that's not the case. Enchantments will last as long as the weapon's durability lasts and no longer.

There's really no point at all to the repair system as it looks like it's going to be implemented.

trandorian posted:

Well is that repairing an enchanted weapon with a regular weapon, or repairing an enchanted weapon with another enchanted weapon? It definitely makes sense that repairing with a non-enchant weapon means you lose or degrade the enchantment.
"Repairing will remove the enchantment" is the exact quote from Jeb, but it is in response to, "What about repairing enchanted tools? Will a normal tool be enough to repair an enchanted one?" so I guess there's some hope that two enchanted items together will keep some sort of enchantment.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

bango skank posted:

It'd be nice if notch took this as a cue to finally step in and say, "listen up assholes, all youre doing is modding MY game. You can't loving copyright this poo poo and if youre making money off of it, we're going to go bethesda on your rear end."

From the Minecraft terms of use:

"Any tools you write for the game from scratch belongs to you. You're free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the game, but don't just rip art resources and pass them around, that's no fun. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, including selling them for money. We reserve the final say regarding what constitutes a tool/plugin and what doesn't."

emphasis mine

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schwarzwald posted:

"Any tools you write for the game from scratch belongs to you. You're free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the game, but don't just rip art resources and pass them around, that's no fun. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, including selling them for money. We reserve the final say regarding what constitutes a tool/plugin and what doesn't."

emphasis mine

My point was letting these children believe their copy/pasted code is legitimate intellectual property worthy of copyright leads to these entitled attitudes that would drive someone to email the creator of the game berating them for adding things. That alone would make me update the terms of use pretty drat quick.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

-SNIP-

emphasis mine

Missed this part though:

quote:

Do not distribute anything we've made. This includes, but not limited to, the client or the server software for the game. This also includes modified versions of anything we've made.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
I've been craving some really awesome adventure maps as a break from building on my SMP world. Can any of you guys recommend good adventure maps you've played/made? I found one through the official forums that was really neat, but like everything else on the Minecraft forums, the poo poo's neck-high and pretty hard to wade through.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Eiba posted:

From Jeb's twitter:

I don't think there's enough time to work on the NPCs before the feature freeze :/

Anyone who is remotely surprised by this has definitely not been following Minecraft's development for very long.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The vast majority of the Minecraft audience are people who know very little about computing and file systems and such. Even asking to use MC Patcher is a huge deal and way more work than they're willing to put up with. Having an in-game mod browser and installer would be the way to get everyone into modding.

I honestly don't know why they don't put in an option to enable HD texture support natively instead of having to use a mod to allow it. Probably something to do with java memory allocation.

Dr. Octopus
Dec 11, 2006

I am inventing a ray, that turns birthday presents into HOMEWORK!
Haven't played in quite sometime. Hopped on the old multiplayer server that a buddy of mine owns and messed around for a while. Realized how important farming was since there were literally no animals at all. Started clearing out some space, creeper found me, boom. But that was only the beginning.

Then, The Swarm decended.

A zombie attempted to attack me during this time.

But was quickly devoured by The Swarm.

I tried to run but I-ARGRGGHHPPGBBLTTTTT

The server hasn't been updated in quite some time, if anyone dies the XP from their body nearly crashes the server the lag is so bad. This grim series of photo's of a real The Swarm was taking over the course of 10 minutes of real time. Any idea how to fix this? Besides not die.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dr. Octopus posted:

Haven't played in quite sometime. Hopped on the old multiplayer server that a buddy of mine owns and messed around for a while. Realized how important farming was since there were literally no animals at all. Started clearing out some space, creeper found me, boom. But that was only the beginning.

Then, The Swarm decended.

A zombie attempted to attack me during this time.

But was quickly devoured by The Swarm.

I tried to run but I-ARGRGGHHPPGBBLTTTTT

The server hasn't been updated in quite some time, if anyone dies the XP from their body nearly crashes the server the lag is so bad. This grim series of photo's of a real The Swarm was taking over the course of 10 minutes of real time. Any idea how to fix this? Besides not die.

1. Update the server.

or

2. Mod XP orbs to be some sort of horrible nanite-type enemy that spreads and devours everything in its path so players dying fucks up the world horribly.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Does anyone know a good way to make a good squid farm? I'm having trouble finding any good videos of it on Youtube.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

For some reason I'm really hoping "Smite" means it summons lightning but it probably doesn't.

Lost shard server already does this, golden swords cast a lightning bolt on strike. Theres also a bunch of other spells and skills like teleport, ice ball, repair, and survivalism. Everyone looking forward to the rpg mechanics of future releases should check it out, it's all really well done.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 12, 2011

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr. Octopus posted:

Any idea how to fix this? Besides not die.

Die more often. After you get more than three levels, purposely die in an area where no one will be able to recover your experience, ideally in lava. This will keep it from building up to a server crash magnitude.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
I'm confused; are baby animals actually part of the unmodded 1.9.3? I thought so but I haven't seen any since I installed it.

Is there a trick to getting mobs to procreate or does it just take time or what? I've got three cows in a pin and no babies.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

King Plum the Nth posted:

I'm confused; are baby animals actually part of the unmodded 1.9.3? I thought so but I haven't seen any since I installed it.

Is there a trick to getting mobs to procreate or does it just take time or what? I've got three cows in a pin and no babies.

you have to set up redstone-and-piston machinery to smush two mobs together to get them to reproduce. it's all pretty complicated and spergy but there's a helpful guide in the wiki if you need help getting it set up right

edit: waitaminute- now that I actually read it, the wiki page really DOES talk about compressing herds of animals into some kind of horrible pigblob with pistons. what the hell, I thought I was just loving with you. :pwn:

okay seriously though you click on them with wheat and it gets them in the mood.

Sam Hall fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 12, 2011

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Sam Hall posted:

you have to set up redstone-and-piston machinery to smush two mobs together to get them to reproduce. it's all pretty complicated and spergy but there's a helpful guide in the wiki if you need help getting it set up right

D'oh. I don't know how I failed to locate that. I just assumed it wasn't under the heading "animal husbandry" it would at least link to the relevent page from that search. :downsrim:

Also jesus the Mooshrooms. I thought the page had been vandalized at first. Fuckers are trippy. I guess I haven't found a mushroom biome yet.

Thank you. That answered more than one question actually.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
So upon hearing that there will be no official point release between 1.8-whatever-it-was and the "Full" ("Retail"? What is the right word here for a game that has been sold commercially since Alpha and is planned to be actively developed after it's "official" launch?) version I broke down and got the 1.9.3 build thingy. I have some questions:

-Does everything have more health, or are my weapons weaker? Everything seems much tougher.
-I've got some pigs in a pen I made from fence, and I've figured out how to get them to make more pigs, which is neat, since unlike my last world this one didn't spawn me near to both two dozen cows and a swamp full of mushrooms. What I want to know is this: Will they be safe in a fenced in are outside, or should I give up on any semblance of traditional farms and build a nice concrete box for them to live in? Also, is there any point at all in keeping sheep?
-If I gently caress off to somewhere far away, will my pigs still be there when I come back? Can I make an expedition to find another biome or will all the piggies vanish if I cross the horizon?
-Can I actually make the potions I keep seeing lists of, or the enchanting bench?
-What happened with the Endermen? I found one outside in the daylight, which was disturbing, only to see him actually teleport around quite near to my pigs in fact, and not leave, so, having a full suit of iron armour (which seems to be much better to the weapons becoming much worse) and a diamond sword I decide I ought to take him out so he doesn't free the pigs. I abuse the "deer-in-the-headlights" thing they do when you look at them to line up a nice fully charged arrow, and when I loose it, the fucker teleports away, never to be seen again!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

PalmTreeFun posted:

Does anyone know a good way to make a good squid farm? I'm having trouble finding any good videos of it on Youtube.
Ethoslab has a great tutorial on that.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Red_October_7000 posted:

So upon hearing that there will be no official point release between 1.8-whatever-it-was and the "Full" ("Retail"? What is the right word here for a game that has been sold commercially since Alpha and is planned to be actively developed after it's "official" launch?) version I broke down and got the 1.9.3 build thingy. I have some questions:

-Does everything have more health, or are my weapons weaker? Everything seems much tougher.
-I've got some pigs in a pen I made from fence, and I've figured out how to get them to make more pigs, which is neat, since unlike my last world this one didn't spawn me near to both two dozen cows and a swamp full of mushrooms. What I want to know is this: Will they be safe in a fenced in are outside, or should I give up on any semblance of traditional farms and build a nice concrete box for them to live in? Also, is there any point at all in keeping sheep?
-If I gently caress off to somewhere far away, will my pigs still be there when I come back? Can I make an expedition to find another biome or will all the piggies vanish if I cross the horizon?
-Can I actually make the potions I keep seeing lists of, or the enchanting bench?
-What happened with the Endermen? I found one outside in the daylight, which was disturbing, only to see him actually teleport around quite near to my pigs in fact, and not leave, so, having a full suit of iron armour (which seems to be much better to the weapons becoming much worse) and a diamond sword I decide I ought to take him out so he doesn't free the pigs. I abuse the "deer-in-the-headlights" thing they do when you look at them to line up a nice fully charged arrow, and when I loose it, the fucker teleports away, never to be seen again!

-Everything has a buttload more health.

-Unless you've got a ton of them crammed into a small space singularity-style and it looks like there might be clipping issues then fence should be fine.

-Animals shouldn't despawn now, though I don't know if there's a distance limit to it. It'd be pretty long if there was, though.

-Yup

-Endermen now teleport around if they take damage, be it from sword, water etc. Not sure if they're immune to sunlight now be if they aren't they'd just teleport somewhere safe anyway.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

Red_October_7000 posted:

Wearing a pumpkin on your head will make endermen ignore you, unless you attack. Then, they seem to just charge you head on instead of teleporting. It's made killing the bastards for their pearls a lot easier.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I'm working on a demo for a NOR toggle that I thought would be relatively simple and illustrate things nicely. Except it's not working.

The central bit of it is a RS NOR latch or toggle (or I'm not sure what the difference is), with the two inputs being the levers visible to the left and right, and the outputs are the iron door and the torch near the lever on the right.

What I want to happen is that the door starts out open (I was just messing with the levers and forgot to switch it back for the screenshot) and the visible torch starts off unlit, then if someone pulls the left lever the door shuts and stays toggled shut, and the torch toggles on. Then the lever on the right acts as the reset switch, opening the door again and shutting the alarm light off.

What's actually happening is that if I flick the left lever the warning light comes on and off like I'm just using a plain input switch, and the same thing happens with the right lever, but it controls the door.

This is going to be another really dumb mistake, isn't it?

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

I'm working on a demo for a NOR toggle that I thought would be relatively simple and illustrate things nicely. Except it's not working.

The central bit of it is a RS NOR latch or toggle (or I'm not sure what the difference is), with the two inputs being the levers visible to the left and right, and the outputs are the iron door and the torch near the lever on the right.

What I want to happen is that the door starts out open (I was just messing with the levers and forgot to switch it back for the screenshot) and the visible torch starts off unlit, then if someone pulls the left lever the door shuts and stays toggled shut, and the torch toggles on. Then the lever on the right acts as the reset switch, opening the door again and shutting the alarm light off.

What's actually happening is that if I flick the left lever the warning light comes on and off like I'm just using a plain input switch, and the same thing happens with the right lever, but it controls the door.

This is going to be another really dumb mistake, isn't it?

It isn't really clear what's going on with the left torch and switch... specifically, why is the redstone that is coming out from somewhere behind that stuff powered even though the switch is off and it doesn't connect to the torch?

Even ignoring that, the only power to the door comes from the bottom-left torch, which is directly controlled by the right switch, so that switch will always change the state of the door if the bottom-right torch is off, which is always the case if the left switch is on... or to put that more simply, try replacing the switches with buttons -- so you never have the left switch stuck on -- after you fix whatever is going on with the redstone coming out from behind the left switch.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

The background redstone would be a sample NOR toggle that I made just to test it out, and which I totally forgot was in the shot. Woops. It's not connected to anything.

I'll try the buttons, thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

The background redstone would be a sample NOR toggle that I made just to test it out, and which I totally forgot was in the shot. Woops. It's not connected to anything.

I'll try the buttons, thanks. :)

I could tell that the background circuit wasn't connected, I wasn't talking about that. The redstone going up under/behind the sign is powered but whatever is powering it isn't shown in this shot... that's important, even if it's just a torch inverting the switch's output.