Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Blighttown.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
So I may have accidently led some bandits in a forest on a gleeful chase thru the woods culminating in an impressive lemming impersonation a few times. Am I going to have to absolve myself of sin before I can get the fog ring?

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Getting cursed really put a stop to me being able to tank enemies. :argh:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ixjuvin posted:

Start peppering him with arrows from the staircase, he'll dive bomb you a few times but eventually he'll land on the bridge to come after you, at that point just hug the right side and run past him. Might take a couple tries because he can still firebreath you but that's how I did it.
It worked! I was scared but I went for it and got through. Now that I can access the group, does joining Warrior of Sunlight mean I can group with people a larger level distance from me? I want to use this claymore, but I need 2 more Str, and SL 30 seems too high for Gaping Dragon.

Pallet Pusher
Nov 9, 2004
I just took down Quelaag, I have almost 30k souls right now and I really want to go buy the key for the door in the forest, is there any short cut back to Firelink or anywhere out of Blighttown? I loving hate this place, I really don't want to trek through Blighttown anymore.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hy_C posted:

Wow these loving clams before Seathe the Scaleless are destroying me.

gently caress 'em! Just run past them. This pretty much works for any boss you are having to run back to.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Pallet Pusher posted:

I just took down Quelaag, I have almost 30k souls right now and I really want to go buy the key for the door in the forest, is there any short cut back to Firelink or anywhere out of Blighttown? I loving hate this place, I really don't want to trek through Blighttown anymore.

Actually if you head out of that area, hug the left wall and climb the first ladder you come across, there's a shortcut to the area under firelink. You just have to climb up 10 or so stairs and ride a waterwheel.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

D is That Guy posted:

So I may have accidently led some bandits in a forest on a gleeful chase thru the woods culminating in an impressive lemming impersonation a few times. Am I going to have to absolve myself of sin before I can get the fog ring?

I farmed the forest bandits a few times before joining the covenant, you should be okay.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How do I pray to the broken altar past the Hellkite Dragon? I assume it means the broken statue thing with the giant broken sword. If there's no 'pray' prompt, do I need more stuff? Maybe I need to assist a few more times.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Emron posted:

I farmed the forest bandits a few times before joining the covenant, you should be okay.

Awesome. I wasn't looking forward to paying 60k souls.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I really thought I was going to struggle badly to get to the Tomb of the Giants boss. But after farming enough souls to upgrade a shield to + 10 and then turn it into the Greatshield of Artorias and trying it again, I'm pretty confident I could feasibly get to the boss without taking any damage, or at least only using 1 or 2 flasks. Who knew stability made such a difference? No physical attacks can break my guard now.

A question regarding the boss... I don't have any divine weapons, is it going to be possible to take down Nito, or am I going to get gangbanged by skeletons if I try it? I really don't want to have to go out and get a new weapon. Especially since I have 30k souls and some humanity on my bloodstain just at the start of the boss area where you drop down.

Pallet Pusher
Nov 9, 2004

D is That Guy posted:

Actually if you head out of that area, hug the left wall and climb the first ladder you come across, there's a shortcut to the area under firelink. You just have to climb up 10 or so stairs and ride a waterwheel.

I must be blind or something. I've rode the water wheel up, never saw anything. How close is the shortcut to the water wheel?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
^^^ look for ladders

Elysiume posted:

How do I pray to the broken altar past the Hellkite Dragon? I assume it means the broken statue thing with the giant broken sword. If there's no 'pray' prompt, do I need more stuff? Maybe I need to assist a few more times.

You need 50 Faith or some faith plus helping dudes in an equation that I can't remember

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just heavy attacked some guy in Blighttown only for the framerate to drop to the single digits and I went flying off the level. I think I took a wrong turn in the valley of drakes anyway. Good thing I had nothing important anymore!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

For people who want to summon help for O'n'S, try the bonfire just past the Silver Knight sniper hell sequence. I've been summoned there a few times, and that's where I summoned some gold phantoms when I beat it. If you want to summon Soltaire, his sign is on the stairway below the archer in the room before the fight.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I think you need 5 less faith per helped dude, but I don't know if there's a limit. I have 14 faith, so I'd need to help 8 dudes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ixjuvin posted:

You need 50 Faith or some faith plus helping dudes in an equation that I can't remember

You need 50 - (5 * the number of bosses you've killed as a white phantom).

defult
Oct 19, 2007
After a morning of forest covenant & getting creamed by japs who are way better than me, decided to try Darkwraiths... (spoliering as im in a area that shouldn't be spoiled till experienced once :))

After an hour or so trying out the red orb in Anor Londo and a few other early/mid areas with no luck. It struck me. Im lvl 84, where was i going through last properly and having trouble...

Tomb of the Giants.

Pitch black, Ive got fog ring and light armor on (no lock-on and they cant hear me coming), I cant see poo poo, my target dont give off a light like my character dose (guess they cant see my light either), very little room to move.

Perfect.

Each invasion is teanse as gently caress, the only indication that im near them is the dead they leave on their path or there life geting smacked out of them in the distance. When I finaly see them its a real 'Oh gently caress!' moment. Having to figure out where I am, how much room have i got, what could i see them wearing and armed with. I either die right then from the wrong move, or stalk them slowly leading them to the other giants, striking when they lest want me to.

Its great just watching them die to the skeletons there. Knowing how much it sucked when I was going through there, now know it wernt just me who struggled :D.

PvP definatly works :D just gota be in the right place and the right level.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Bad Bromance posted:

If an enemy with items falls off a cliff, you can exit the game then jump right back in and the item will be on the ground before the edge

:negative:

Little late for it now unfortunately, and the drat wiki said that if she fell that would be it and you'd be screwed. I'll keep it in mind if it ever comes up again.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I just realized that I've been using the lovely inferior wiki to find out how covenants work.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Arrgh, farming eyes from the curse frogs sucks. I just want my miracles. Is there any other feasible way to get these eyes? Five runs through the curse frog area now, and just some humanity from the rats. No eyes.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Phoix posted:

I wouldn't advise doing this because it's borderline cheating in how good it is, but if you still have the Moonlight Butterfly soul you can upgrade a shield to +10 and then turn it into a shield that shoot lasers at the Anor Londo blacksmith. It does damage based on your right hand weapon, which at that point in the game will probably be around ~300-400 damage. By the end I was doing ~1300 with it and it just broke the game.

...Shoot lasers? And my weapon right now is a +3 quelaag's fury sword and a +2 lightning spear. I don't know what you mean with this laser business.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Am I going to be gimping myself at all by not having a primary offensive stat and making my character build extra tanky with the other stats instead? I have heard good things about the fire and lightning weapons, and assume that eventually scaling weapons will surpass it, but is it by a large enough margin that I would feel gimped at endgame using a fully upgraded elemental weapon?. On that note how early can I get a fire or Lightning weapon made? I am finishing up the undead parish now, using the sword gotten from the same area as the dragon crest shield.
Also is it worth upgrading the hollow Soldiers shield as my general use shield? It has pretty solid stability unupgraded (60 I think) and 100% phys def, as well as not being very heavy, I was thinking I would pump up a physical defense shield for general use(since I assume it is upgradeable using standard titanite) and then just having resist shields to swap in as needed, but if there is a significantly better one that is easily upgradeable I will save the titanite.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Emron posted:

I just realized that I've been using the lovely inferior wiki to find out how covenants work.

Which one is the "good" one? They are both loving awful. AJAX realtime chat with spammy noises? loving really?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
What is the purpose of the darksign? Is there really places you can get stuck at and not kill yourself?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is it worth upgrading my +5 winged spear to a lightning winged spear or should I just stick with the basic lightning spear and upgrade that? I think the winged spear has better base stats than the basic spear so it should make a better lightning weapon right? Or should I just take it along one of the other elemental paths or just keep it normal. My dude doesn't really have any faith or int.

I am also looking to use my queelag soul but I'm not sure if I want the fury sword or the chaos blade. I'm not sure if you have to have a katana and upgrade that to get the chaos blade though?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

darkhand posted:

Which one is the "good" one? They are both loving awful. AJAX realtime chat with spammy noises? loving really?

They're both going to suck this early in the game's release, but the wikidot one is already more fleshed out, and was really good in Demons Souls, so I'm calling it the "good" one.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Nigulus Rex posted:

...Shoot lasers? And my weapon right now is a +3 quelaag's fury sword and a +2 lightning spear. I don't know what you mean with this laser business.

If you have the shield equipped in your left hand and hit the parry button it will charge up and fire a laser disc that scales based on how powerful your right hand weapon is. It will always do more damage then the weapon you have out

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

^^^ also that

Nigulus Rex posted:

I guess I worded that weirdly. If you upgrade a shield to +10 and bring it to the Anor Londo blacksmith while you have the Moonlight Butterfly soul, you can make a shield that shoots laser beams. The damage of the laser the shield shoots is based on the strength of the weapon you have equipped with it.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Tried to show off all my spiffy new pyro spells by helping some dude kill Capra Demon. For some reason I was completely unable to target him :negative: Also, if you're summoning help please know that your friends can't heal themselves and using your flask heals them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

defult posted:

PvP definatly works :D just gota be in the right place and the right level.

And by "Player vs Player" you mean, "Put on a cheesy ring and then ambush some poor gently caress."

Then whine about how everyone is playing Hollowed all the time.

Edit: I'm seriously kind of flabbergasted by how many bad multiplayer systems From Software put in this game. I mean, Demon's Souls was fun and tense, and this is just alternatively a loving ghost town or a mess (on Xbox360)

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I am also looking to use my queelag soul but I'm not sure if I want the fury sword or the chaos blade. I'm not sure if you have to have a katana and upgrade that to get the chaos blade though?

Unless it had some sort of amazing hidden feature I was missing in the several hours i was using it don't bother using the chaos blade, it is seriously worse then just upgrading the katana with any of the generic enchantments. Both because it does less damage then most of them, the strong attacks of it are much slower but don't seem to do more damage, and every time you hit an enemy it takes off a bit of your health.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
Helping people kill the two gargoyles on the roof of the church, then hearing the bell ring a few minutes later is awesome. :3:

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
Every time someone complains about the fog ring it makes me love it even more

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Can anybody with the guide tell (or anybody who knows, really) what the dragonslayer spear stats are at +5? I am considering upping my strength and dex to wield it, even though I know it is probably not a smart move.

Mostly, I just like the idea of having a giant fuckoff faith scaling spear, even though it will probably disappoint.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

And right before I kill the undead dragon, I clip through the floor and die. Great. Tell me he doesn't regenerate health. I wasted all my arrows on him.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Clever Spambot posted:

Unless it had some sort of amazing hidden feature I was missing in the several hours i was using it don't bother using the chaos blade, it is seriously worse then just upgrading the katana with any of the generic enchantments. Both because it does less damage then most of them, the strong attacks of it are much slower but don't seem to do more damage, and every time you hit an enemy it takes off a bit of your health.

Oh jeez that's awful, thanks for the heads up. Fury sword it is.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Emron posted:

They're both going to suck this early in the game's release, but the wikidot one is already more fleshed out, and was really good in Demons Souls, so I'm calling it the "good" one.

Really? The wikidot one had misinformation like the DEX myth and personal opinions written in it like "I don't believe Patches exists" or something.

The wikispaces was a little more complete in my opinion?

But whatever, my physical guide came in today so woo.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

enojy posted:

gently caress 'em! Just run past them. This pretty much works for any boss you are having to run back to.

There's no fog door for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

They both have some stuff that the other doesn't, I think. The wikispaces one at least has the upgrade path flowchart, which is very useful.

• Locked thread