Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

I know the CRTC also handles CanCon and the like, but surely that's a pretty small fraction of their activity when compared to internet and mobile regulation?

According to Wikipedia, the Minister of Heritage oversees the CRTC:

"The CRTC reports to the Parliament of Canada through the Minister of Canadian Heritage, which is responsible for the Broadcasting Act, and has an informal relationship with Industry Canada, which is responsible for the Telecommunications Act."

And the Department of Heritage is apparently responsible for "policies and programs regarding the arts, culture, media, communications networks", etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Canada, you are awfully strange.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
There is a post on the TSI facebook page about internet speeds being increased for certin areas? Is this for cable/dsl and from what to what?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rawrbomb posted:

There is a post on the TSI facebook page about internet speeds being increased for certin areas? Is this for cable/dsl and from what to what?

It's for High Speed DSL 12, 16 and 25.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Lone Rogue posted:

It's for High Speed DSL 12, 16 and 25.

Sadness :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rawrbomb posted:

Also cable speeds are getting bumped. Not sure on the exact specifics but my 15/1 went to 24/1 a few weeks ago.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

8ender posted:

Also cable speeds are getting bumped. Not sure on the exact specifics but my 15/1 went to 24/1 a few weeks ago.

Is a DOCSIS 3 modem required to benefit from the speed upgrade?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Septimus posted:

Is a DOCSIS 3 modem required to benefit from the speed upgrade?

Yes, with a DOCSIS 2 modem I think you're limited to 10mbps by Rogers.

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

Rawrbomb posted:

A bit pricey too, IMO.
The 25M package has a 300gb cap, and is $68/month (plus a $99 start-up fee).

I'll stick to unlimited 5M for now.

Scylla fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 1, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

EngineerJoe posted:

Our (Teksavvy) DOCSIS 2 modems can handle 30mbps but nothing more. If Rogers is selling modems that can't handle that, yikes.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Lone Rogue posted:

Our (Teksavvy) DOCSIS 2 modems can handle 30mbps but nothing more. If Rogers is selling modems that can't handle that, yikes.

I was under the impression that the modems can handle it but Rogers doesn't allow it (For TPIA customers as well as Rogers customers) because it's a greater load on the network due to a lack of channel bonding.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

EngineerJoe posted:

Any modem that tops out at 10mbps likely has a 10base-t ethernet port on it.

The SB5100 on my network (purchased from rogers) doesn't have any problem reaching 15mbps. Once in a blue moon speeds will jump to 19mbps. Maybe my area has been upgraded but speeds might be limited due to the number of subscribers.

edit: speeling

Septimus fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 2, 2011

SolidElectronics
Jul 9, 2005

zergstain posted:

drat you bastards going to non-lovely schools.

It has been really bad lately, but it's fantastic in the summer. We added another 200 Mbit on Friday, so that should help a bit.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
DNS servers in the Greater Toronto Area are having some issues.

OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220
The Goog: 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

what are the biggest problems with TekSavvy cable right now? I contacted them about a new account and they mentioned it's faster speed for cheaper... at $11/month less for comparable speeds I'm inclined to agree - what's the risk? Has there been a lot of downtime lately?

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Well, right now I can't access 50% of the world's domain names (like the subdomain for somethingawful that hosts all the buttons, for instance), and putting my own DNS on the router doesn't seem to help that...but I think this is as much an issue with my router as with teksavvy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Vergeh posted:

Well, right now I can't access 50% of the world's domain names (like the subdomain for somethingawful that hosts all the buttons, for instance), and putting my own DNS on the router doesn't seem to help that...but I think this is as much an issue with my router as with teksavvy.

Yeah, I'm not having this problem, though I'm not using TS's DNS servers, either.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Guitarchitect posted:

what are the biggest problems with TekSavvy cable right now? I contacted them about a new account and they mentioned it's faster speed for cheaper... at $11/month less for comparable speeds I'm inclined to agree - what's the risk? Has there been a lot of downtime lately?

There has been downtime for potential subscribers due to updating the lines. This is because more people purchased TekSavvy accounts than Rogers accounts in the GTA area. It sent Rogers into a panic and the lines needed major updating.

If you live in a highly congested area or in a major apartment building, I wouldn't get cable. Your speeds would fluctuate too much. I tend to tell people who love in downtown Toronto to get DSL instead. Otherwise? Go with cable. Cable Extreme is now an excellent deal with the 24mbps.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

There has been downtime for potential subscribers due to updating the lines. This is because more people purchased TekSavvy accounts than Rogers accounts in the GTA area. It sent Rogers into a panic and the lines needed major updating.

If you live in a highly congested area or in a major apartment building, I wouldn't get cable. Your speeds would fluctuate too much. I tend to tell people who love in downtown Toronto to get DSL instead. Otherwise? Go with cable. Cable Extreme is now an excellent deal with the 24mbps.

hm, what about pape and mortimer? It's a little bit east, but I can't imagine it's all that congested... i'll be moving into a house where there is already cable TV set up, will this be a problem for TS?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
For me, living at Eglinton & Bayview, I have had MUCH faster speeds with TS cable than the TS DSL. I love it. But I'm not downtown, maybe it's a different story once you get south of Bloor

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Guitarchitect posted:

hm, what about pape and mortimer? It's a little bit east, but I can't imagine it's all that congested... i'll be moving into a house where there is already cable TV set up, will this be a problem for TS?

You just request a splitter in your application and the technician will remember to put one on the line.

Basically, if you live in an area with houses in Toronto you'll likely be good. If you live like half a block away from a huge apartment tower with likely 100 cable users living there, you're rolling the dice.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

triplexpac posted:

For me, living at Eglinton & Bayview, I have had MUCH faster speeds with TS cable than the TS DSL. I love it. But I'm not downtown, maybe it's a different story once you get south of Bloor

My parents live at Queens Quay and Spadina, the TS cable there is great. At my brother's house in the Doon area of Kitchener, the TS cable is pretty awful; it's usually better at certain times of day but lately it's been so bad that the 2.5mbit point to point at my farm near Owen Sound seems superior. I've noticed that the pings in Kitchener are also always over 100ms. My point to point connection does have two great benefits though, it's capless and 2.5mbit upload as well.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 6, 2011

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
It is all about node congestion, and its going to happen to both bell/rogers/tsi people in their area. If DSL with bell is congested, then dont switch to TSI dsl, you're likely going to hit the same loving problem.

I used to ave issues at my old house, between 4pm to 8pm, i would barely get 1/1, after 8 my speeds went up, around midnight i was geting my normal 20-25/1. Moved out to my parrents for a bit, never had an issue. If your node is congested there aint poo poo that can be done unless the ISP wants to get off its rear end and fix it :/

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

So what happened today with satellites? Xplornet went down from something like 7 am and didn't come back up till 1 am, and strangely Shaw tv also went down and came up at around the same time.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Daynab posted:

So what happened today with satellites? Xplornet went down from something like 7 am and didn't come back up till 1 am, and strangely Shaw tv also went down and came up at around the same time.
Read an article about some satellite losing altitude control and going in to safety mode (pointing at sun).

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
That's pretty much exactly what happened, but it started on the 6th. Should be fixed some time today I guess... Telesat!! :argh:

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, I'm not having this problem, though I'm not using TS's DNS servers, either.

Horror of horrors, I talked to a tech support guy and got a real, technical answer! Unfortunately, I couldn't post it because I couldn't access the forums at the time.

They were updating their routing systems, and there was a loop error introduced. We were contacting these websites just fine, but when they tried to route traffic back to us, it got stuck in a loop. He even ran a tracert on me, and read out the IPs as it circled the drain.

Seems to be in working order now, but the connection speed and reliability is definitely still hinky. If it means 500% the download limit at 75% of the price, I'll still take the downtime. Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
What's the general consensus as to the best Niagara(specifically Pelham) ISP. My cable hookup is Cogeco, and TekSavvy can only get me on the 5mbps plan. Currently on Vaxxine's 5mbps Unlimited Plan, but the speed is getting to me. Neither Bell nor Cogeco offer enough bandwidth for me (I use ~100-150GB a month)

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Cogeco's Ultimate 30 should do you fine, or you can go MLPPP.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I was reading into ikTel. The guys over at DSL reports seems to like them. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25932911-ikTel-Networks-Niagara-ISP

Anyone here tried them yet?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I've switched to Teksavvy Cable for few weeks now , and here is my experience so far:

- Switchover went smoothly
- Works like a charm so far, albeit is a little slower
- I have a very old Motorola modem (bought 7 years ago from Rogers), Dociscs 2, and I should get max 15Mbps. However, I did get 2.4 MB/s every now and then.
- It can happen that sometimes it can get congested (such as last Friday night, was barely able to get over 1MB/s.

I have the following setup at home:

- Cable modem -> Open BSD PC (gateway, firewall, mail, httpd, etc.) -> switch ->rest of the house.
On the gateway I run an MRTG that monitors various things (traffic, ping, mem, cpu, disk usage on the NAS). Here are some graphs of the ping (I ping google.com every 5 minutes and average the time. I'm using the 74.125.45.100 IP).
Here's is the daily graph: http://snag.gy/NdAMd.jpg . I have no idea what happened yesterday, but it's still good.
Monthly graph: http://snag.gy/j5vfA.jpg . As it can be seen, not much of a difference between TekSavvy and Rogers.

And finally, here's the yearly graph: http://snag.gy/dDoMF.jpg

This one is even nicer, since it's displaying a period when i was on DSL, more specifically Yak DSL, via Bell lines.
In Oct last year was fed up, and went back to rogers. The difference is huge between DSL and Cable. Should Rogers not be such assholes, they have a pretty sweet net connection (not as good as Shaw, but good enough).

Anyway, in conclusion, i'm happy with TekSavvy, I just hope I'll never have to call their technical support ever.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 11, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
There were a bunch of field techs from Bell over 2-3 days last week opening up the switchboxes and other small boxes that some houses have on the lawn. Are they doing upgrades or just some kind of routine work? I didn't ask them, but I'm on Acanac DSL and it's through Bell's lines.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
gently caress dealing with Shaw.

My family's had them ever since they were out here (1994) and the delivered product is good, as long as you never have to talk to them.

Telus has really caught up now though in product and price and we can get the same thing there for $20 cheaper. (Plus the neat things such as PVR anywhere and call display on TV.)

I call Shaw to see if they can make a comparable package (their website plan personaliser says this should be the case) or else would leave.

Estimated wait time: Over 2 hours. :suicide:

Now I'm leaning towards just switching even if they'll match the offer because it's always atrocious trying to get in contact with Shaw over the phone.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

less than three posted:

Estimated wait time: Over 2 hours. :suicide:

Well at least you have an ETA. I don't remember ever getting an ETA from Rogers when I called them. I'll be pleasantly surprised if TekSavvy has one.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

rhag posted:

Anyway, in conclusion, i'm happy with TekSavvy, I just hope I'll never have to call their technical support ever.

Our tech support is slowly going to get better. We've been doing massive hirings and setting up CSR/TSR hybrids who can eventually become full-time TSR's if they do the job well. Slowly but surely it'll be easier to get through. Right now there's only a 28 minute wait for tech support when a month ago that wait would have been two hours.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Really? I've called Teksavvy three times this week and didn't have to wait more than a minute. It was great.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

rhag posted:

Well at least you have an ETA. I don't remember ever getting an ETA from Rogers when I called them. I'll be pleasantly surprised if TekSavvy has one.

TekSavvy not only has one, it has a "enter your phone number and hang up and we'll call you back when you reach the head of the queue" feature, which should be loving standard for any sort of corporate phone contact at this point.

And yet TS is the only place I've called that has it.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Been having some dns issues for the last 48 or so hours. Any issues in Mississauga for TSI/Rogers cable?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

Our tech support is slowly going to get better. We've been doing massive hirings and setting up CSR/TSR hybrids who can eventually become full-time TSR's if they do the job well. Slowly but surely it'll be easier to get through. Right now there's only a 28 minute wait for tech support when a month ago that wait would have been two hours.

That's fantastic news. I still hope that I'll never have to deal with them since that usually is sign of trouble (just like the doctor, you need them to be there, you appreciate them, you just hope you'll never actually need them to save your rear end.)

It's good that the service is getting better for those rainy days when i'll need it.

Thank you.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Having congestion on TSI DSL it seems, anyone else showing symptoms? I'm on the 5/800 unlimited and I'm getting about .5/200 at the moment. I have a Static IP, so it shouldn't be throttled.