Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Upmarket Mango posted:

I want the next Fallout to return to isometric, or something similar.

This'd be nice, and just exploring a different location that's actually somewhat different would be interesting. FO2 and NV both made a lot of success in trying something a little different in places even though everything still centered around basically the same Southwestern desert, and the DLC does a good job of bringing in entirely new ideas that still work under the fallout umbrella, and I feel like honestly New Vegas took that little chunk of the world about as far as it's going to go. If the next game doesn't mention radscorpions or the Brotherhood of Steel whatsoever, I won't miss 'em.

Do like a bayou Fallout where it's all mutated kudzu that eats you if you stop moving and raiders with fanboat-mounted gatling lasers, dial the date back to around when the vaults are just opening and the very concept of civilization isn't quite so secure yet, keep most of the basic conceits of the franchise but give it some different flavor. Something like that. So long as it's not all 'the hot desert sands blew through the shells of giant radscorpions, as loinclothed tribals prepared to assault the dusty hell of Fairbanks Alaska' or whatever the gently caress.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I want the next Fallout to return to isometric, or something similar.

I was going to disagree with this because I actually think that the jump to first person helped immersion and atmosphere immensely, but then I realized they could just do it DA:O style where you can freely switch between isometric and first person exploration, with the combat switching between turn-based or realtime appropriately. That would be pretty cool. Hell, give me first person exploration and whenever combat starts zoom me out to an isometric view and give me classic turn-based Fallout battles.

Edit: All I really want out of the next fallout is more of the same in a better engine. New Vegas is to me what Deus Ex is to a lot of goons, I think it's literally my favorite videogame of all time.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 12, 2011

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Put it in the RAGE engine, once that gets fixed up. All I could think about playing RAGE was "Oh my god, what if New Vegas was like this"

Can you imagine the file size of such a game? I mean, RAGE was fairly small, world size-wise, all things considered. Making a megatexture the size of a bethesda game would probably require most people to go and buy a new hard drive just for it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Elendil004 posted:

In the next fallout, I want more green, more people. I know this is fallout, but a nice lush area would be awesome. More people would be awesome. I also want some sort of town/base building sim built in.
I'd kill for either the deep South, Canada, or helping the Great Kahns lay stake in Wyoming.

Rope Kid, you listening?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Father Wendigo posted:

I'd kill for either the deep South, Canada, or helping the Great Kahns lay stake in Wyoming.

Rope Kid, you listening?

Canada would kinda own too. Radmoose, desert mounties, toxic flesh-melting blizzards, and all the roaming cannibal gangs are really polite

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Canada would kinda own too. Radmoose, desert mounties, toxic flesh-melting blizzards, and all the roaming cannibal gangs are really polite

One thing I've always liked about the idea of exploring Canada in Fallout was to have some Canadian factions still pissed off about when the US Annexed them. Creates some easy factions to pit each other against like NCR and the Legion.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
I'd be interested in seeing what's up with the Legion in Arizona. It'd be a pretty good setting that would provide some varied locales while still keeping with the OG Fallout Southwestern US vibe. If they threw in some areas like the Mogollon Rim you could have your lush green forest (it would look a lot like the northwest part of New Vegas where the super mutants have taken over that lodge, I forget the name of it, but larger) and you could also have plenty of open desert wasteland, plus there would be some drop-dead gorgeous scenic vistas. There are also a lot of small communities around Arizona with only a few dozen residents at most that would make the transition well to small survivor-towns in the postapocalyptic wasteland.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rose-tinted malt-shop raygun-gothic jingoistic 1950's America nostalgia seems pretty integral to the Fallout series' setting. Making a game anywhere else seems kind of like it would screw the whole setting up.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I'd be interested in seeing what's up with the Legion in Arizona. It'd be a pretty good setting that would provide some varied locales while still keeping with the OG Fallout Southwestern US vibe. If they threw in some areas like the Mogollon Rim you could have your lush green forest (it would look a lot like the northwest part of New Vegas where the super mutants have taken over that lodge, I forget the name of it, but larger) and you could also have plenty of open desert wasteland, plus there would be some drop-dead gorgeous scenic vistas.

I would love to see the Legion territory. I was super bummed when I realized that section of the map east of the river isn't explorable.

And for the people wanting another Fallout in [place that wasn't the United States], I wouldn't hold your breath. Fallout is all about American culture and what the 50's thought The Future would look like. If it is set in China, it's a different game. It'd be neat to visit China in a special side quest or something I suppose. Maybe you can hitch a ride there on the Boomer's plane.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Given how the quests with the Institute in FO3 worked, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the New England area for the next Fallout. Especially since civilization apparently has re-developed a ton in that area (somehow?)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zorak posted:

Given how the quests with the Institute in FO3 worked, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the New England area for the next Fallout. Especially since civilization apparently has re-developed a ton in that area (somehow?)

That would be definitely be interesting, to see how civilization is reestablishing itself after the tribal phase is over. Still, my Fallout micropenis gets hard at the thought of exploring more nuclear wasteland, Vaults, and ruined cities.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Node posted:

And for the people wanting another Fallout in [place that wasn't the United States], I wouldn't hold your breath. Fallout is all about American culture and what the 50's thought The Future would look like. If it is set in China, it's a different game. It'd be neat to visit China in a special side quest or something I suppose. Maybe you can hitch a ride there on the Boomer's plane.

What he said.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cowcaster posted:

That's what I figured. Which just begs the question why no one bothers to do this while he's hanging out in the middle of the strip while you spend months digging up wonderglue in abandoned shacks.

I think as far as anyone knows, Mr. House is still alive and well and ruling New Vegas. You hear people very slowly spreading the word that he might be dead, but nobody knows for sure. Even if they thought he was dead, I don't think most people would jump to the conclusion that control of his empire was handed over to an artificial intelligence that would do everything they command.

edit: VV Oh yeah, I forgot about that part. Even if someone just said "Oh hey, you look different than other Securitrons, what's your story?" he probably would've explained everything. Luckily, the plot dictated that nobody did, and so he didn't :)

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 12, 2011

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tewratomeh posted:

I think as far as anyone knows, Mr. House is still alive and well and ruling New Vegas. You hear people very slowly spreading the word that he might be dead, but nobody knows for sure. Even if they thought he was dead, I don't think most people would jump to the conclusion that control of his empire was handed over to an artificial intelligence that would do everything they command.

I meant more specifically, once you Break into Benny's room and talk to Yes-Man, where he completely spills the beans on just about everything whether or not you've done anything to House, Benny, or even anyone else, and he moves out into the middle of the strip. Anyone walking by could talk to him.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Tewratomeh posted:

Also it's not like the Securitrons stop keeping order once House is dead. Presumably they keep on keeping on with their orders to keep everyone but you and your homies out of the Lucky 38 where Yes Man now lives. Nobody else would have the opportunity to even talk to him.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 12, 2011

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fallout: Maine. You spend 50+ hours shooting, and eating, lobsters. They may or may not be radiated giant lobsters.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pharmaskittle posted:

Also it's not like the Securitrons stop keeping order once House is dead. Presumably they keep on keeping on with their orders to keep everyone but you and your homies out of the Lucky 38 where Yes Man now lives. Nobody else would have the opportunity to even talk to him.

Wait, is he supposed to be in the Lucky 38? He just moved outside The Tops in my game.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 12, 2011

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Wait, is he supposed to be in the Lucky 38? He just moved outside The Tops in my game.

That happens? I always had to go back to Benny's room to talk to him until I blew House away and he teleported to the jumbotron in the penthouse.

I never saw him outside on the Strip, but maybe that happens if you don't murder Benny before finding him (I've never not killed Benny)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Tewratomeh posted:

Umm no they don't, everyone the Strip knows he's dead because the Securtrons start handing out his Obituary. That he himself wrote.

edit:VVVV With that I just assumed because Yes Man is an AI that can jump from Securtron to Securtron, he just jumps to the one guarding the Tops when you walk into that away and goes away after you leave.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 12, 2011

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Just to prove I'm not taking crazy pills

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596951145264683636/5945FEF12AFFFA51DCC8A320048A6866A0E402A0/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596951145264683177/53C6018AD47E3AC555DA6E63BE4A1CD744EA9808/

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I would be (pleasantly) surprised by any new Fallout game in the near future. With two releases for the current console generation, I have to think that they'll sit on the franchise for a while to avoid overexposure. Surely they'd use the engine from Skyrim if they did launch another Fallout.

A new game timeframe somewhere closer to the war of 2077 would be right up my alley.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Play as Harold.

Fallout Chronicles: The Adventures of Harold

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Orange Crush Rush posted:

edit:VVVV With that I just assumed because Yes Man is an AI that can jump from Securtron to Securtron, he just jumps to the one guarding the Tops when you walk into that away and goes away after you leave.
Why would he do that? The courier isn't anyone special to Yes Man. He just obeys him/her because he obeys everyone.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

I would be (pleasantly) surprised by any new Fallout game in the near future. With two releases for the current console generation, I have to think that they'll sit on the franchise for a while to avoid overexposure. Surely they'd use the engine from Skyrim if they did launch another Fallout.

A new game timeframe somewhere closer to the war of 2077 would be right up my alley.

Fallout Chronicles: The Adventures of Harold

Fallout Chronicles: The Adventures of Rex

It's an entire game where you play as the robot dog. Or maybe a game where you play as Fisto.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If it's old-school with a big ol' world map, I'd like to see either the Four States area or Texas, see what Obsidian could do with some of the unused ideas from cancelled projects and the new ideas they've had in the interim.

And if it's the newer "only one city" style games, well son, they've got plenty of options. The lore suggests Anchorage & Chicago or even a return to LA, although Bethesda might want to stay on the East Coast with Philly or NYC. All strong picks with an easily recognizable personality.

But where would I set a game if I had the choice? Portland. It's right by the Core Region but still unmapped. There's no glaring reasons it wouldn't fit a post-apocalyptic setting. It has interesting quirks to draw on, like supposedly having the most breweries and strip clubs per capita of any city in the United States. And yes, it's crawling with hipsters. But think about it; Fallout's version of America never moved beyond the culture of the Fifties. Those aren't just any hipsters, they're BEATNIKS.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

HitTheTargets posted:

And yes, it's crawling with hipsters. But think about it; Fallout's version of America never moved beyond the culture of the Fifties. Those aren't just any hipsters, they're BEATNIKS.

If a single beatnik survived in Portland then the earth wasn't nuked hard enough.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

HitTheTargets posted:

But where would I set a game if I had the choice? Portland. It's right by the Core Region but still unmapped. There's no glaring reasons it wouldn't fit a post-apocalyptic setting. It has interesting quirks to draw on, like supposedly having the most breweries and strip clubs per capita of any city in the United States. And yes, it's crawling with hipsters. But think about it; Fallout's version of America never moved beyond the culture of the Fifties. Those aren't just any hipsters, they're BEATNIKS.

I'm not sure that he could be classified as a beatnik, but how about a Fallout-style takeoff on Hunter S. Thompson?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Yeah, I've seen him out there on one of my playthroughs. I think maybe he only does it if you start doing the Wild Card quest before dealing with House. Otherwise, if it looks like you're taking a different ending route he just stays in the Tops. I guess it's to save you the trip if the game is fairly certain you're doing the independent ending.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm not sure that he could be classified as a beatnik, but how about a Fallout-style takeoff on Hunter S. Thompson?

If you're doing things right, that's the Player Character.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The next Fallout should be a JRPG.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Chinaman7000 posted:

The next Fallout should be a JRPG.

There was that ad campaign for New Vegas where everything was 8-bit Dragon Quest style. I thought it was cute how all those years of winning Western audiences over with Final Fantasy back in the SNES days came back to bite Japan in the rear end now that FF is so terrible and anime not even anime lovers like it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We made Yes Man do this until you "do something" about Mr. House because it was a pain in the rear end to continually go up to Benny's suite to talk to him.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Why not Fallout: Detroit? You have a huge city and area to explore, you could cross into a part of formerly annexed canada like windsor and all that. I mean it sounds like it'd be a good spot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

rope kid posted:

We made Yes Man do this until you "do something" about Mr. House because it was a pain in the rear end to continually go up to Benny's suite to talk to him.

Looks like Tewratomeh called it then. Makes sense to me! You'll just have to assume I understand the existence of a balance between gameplay and storytelling and whatnot.

I actually didn't realize he only shows up there when you take the independent option, since I've only played through the game once.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 12, 2011

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

brennon posted:

Why not Fallout: Detroit? You have a huge city and area to explore, you could cross into a part of formerly annexed canada like windsor and all that. I mean it sounds like it'd be a good spot.

As people who won that silly Deus Ex contest can probably attest, Detroit is already a wasteland.

*disclaimer: poster has never actually been to Michigan and is talking out his rear end in an attempt at humor*

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
So I finished Dead Money, and I actually really enjoyed it, despite the fact that I had literally no points in combat skills or sneaking. I was able to finish it with probably 100k+ worth of caps in pre-war currency, and that doesn't include the gold bars locked in the vault. Sadly, only got away with one bar because my character is a pansy. By the way, was anyone able to escape with all of the loot?

Overall, was pretty fun. Probably going to try out honest hearts next.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Rayjenkins posted:

So I finished Dead Money, and I actually really enjoyed it, despite the fact that I had literally no points in combat skills or sneaking. I was able to finish it with probably 100k+ worth of caps in pre-war currency, and that doesn't include the gold bars locked in the vault. Sadly, only got away with one bar because my character is a pansy. By the way, was anyone able to escape with all of the loot?

Speaking of money, where are more good places to sell poo poo (preferably other than the commissary in Lonesome Road)? Gun Runners is usually good enough for me and I really love the convenience of fast-traveling to within 10 feet of it, but sometimes their money supply doesn't hold up. Also, am I correct in my assumption that pretty much all of the gun upgrades in the game eventually cycle through the GR kiosk?

ed:\/\/\/as a dude who lives very close to NO and frequently spends time there, this is the idea I keep coming back to

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 12, 2011

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
New Orleans. You have a city with a ton of character, a bayou wilderness all around it, and you could even throw in another hurricane or two to kick up the destruction.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

New Orleans. You have a city with a ton of character, a bayou wilderness all around it, and you could even throw in another hurricane or two to kick up the destruction.

Not much character will be left unless they try to pull another Mister House Saves Vegas, which I doubt

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

As people who won that silly Deus Ex contest can probably attest, Detroit is already a wasteland.

*disclaimer: poster has never actually been to Michigan and is talking out his rear end in an attempt at humor*

Actually, Detroit might be cool. Imagine if the automobile industry didn't crash in the alternate timeline of Fallout? It could be an industrial goldmine of untapped potential, with various factions seeking to regain control of the region for that purpose. It might be considered a sorta retread of New Vegas though, with the battle for control over Hoover Dam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rayjenkins posted:

I didn't do it myself (I managed about 5 bars), but somebody mentioned that you can kill Elijah, gib his body, put ALL of the gold bars into his body, use Z to pick up some small piece of his body and then run to the elevator. Once you've escaped, you can then open the "container" and voila, you have more money than you'll ever need.

rope kid posted:

That's odd, because I actually DID have to keep hoofing it up to Benny's suite, and I had both the House Always Wins AND Wild Card questlines started up. He didn't move until after I had killed House, gone back to Benny's suite, told him it was done and that it was time to meet me at the Lucky 38.