Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah what is the AWD setup with the new CVT? I think the one on the upcoming Impreza is basically the same as the one on the current Legacy, right? Is it basically the same as the previous automatic?

On that note, the new Impreza looks better than the old one, but it looks like no turbo version for the time being and the only engine choice looks seriously underpowered - 148 hp and 145 lb/ft, compared to 170 hp rated output for the outgoing 2.5 liter. Combine that with drivetrain loss due to AWD and possible funky feel due to the mandatory CVT, and it seems like the NA Impreza will be slow as hell.

I mean, I know power isn't everything, but considering the price is staying exactly the same as the outgoing model, the new Impreza really sounds like a serious downgrade.

The Impreza is Subaru's closest version of an economy car and it wasn't very economical. The new, underpowered model is expecting 37 highway mpg, which is nearly 50% more than the previous model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm fairly sure the AWD setup with the CVT is the same as the non-VTD automatics. It's fairly similar to haldax in function. When the clutchpack is fully open, it's very FWD biased. However, it's not as simple as only transferring power when slippage occurs, variable lockup happens depending on a whole slew of conditions.

The VTD 5 speed automatics had the STi's AWD system (planetary gearset sets up an open diff torque split that's rear biased and a clutchpack varies lockup.) I do not know if they equip the VTD system on any of the automatics anymore (only the 3.0R comes with the 5 speed auto anymore.) Subaru doesn't call out VTD anymore so it's hard to say.

The STi gets the same system as above, with manual adjustment of the lockup possible though DCCD.

All other manual Subarus get a viscous coupling in the center diff. Default toque split is 50/50 with the viscous coupling providing power transfer based on front/rear driveshaft speed difference.

On current models, all of that is coupled with VDC (vehicle dynamic control) and TCS (traction control system.)

The new, lowered powered, Impreza with CVT is actually quicker to 60 than the outgoing 4 speed auto model. Part of that is due to the different power curve, part is due to the CVT making more efficient use of the power, and part is due to the fact that the 2012 Impreza is lighter than the outgoing model.

What they are banking on is the MPG selling people. 36 mpg highway on a full time AWD vehicle is unheard of.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah what is the AWD setup with the new CVT? I think the one on the upcoming Impreza is basically the same as the one on the current Legacy, right? Is it basically the same as the previous automatic?

On that note, the new Impreza looks better than the old one, but it looks like no turbo version for the time being and the only engine choice looks seriously underpowered - 148 hp and 145 lb/ft, compared to 170 hp rated output for the outgoing 2.5 liter. Combine that with drivetrain loss due to AWD and possible funky feel due to the mandatory CVT, and it seems like the NA Impreza will be slow as hell.

I mean, I know power isn't everything, but considering the price is staying exactly the same as the outgoing model, the new Impreza really sounds like a serious downgrade.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20114533-48/the-2012-subaru-impreza-your-first-real-car-first-drive/

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/03/2012-subaru-impreza-first-drive-review/

They say the CVT is different for the 2.0L, but all that seems to be mentioned is the way it responds, not the AWD system.

Yes the MPG number is important. I bet my dad will be happy with the new numbers, he was hoping for the diesel to come to the U.S. market but these numbers aren't bad at all in my opinion.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

DogDodger posted:

It also helps build up carbon on the back of your intake valves. :(

Which engine is this? I've heard mixed signals regarding DI so far, Ford's Ecoboost seems to have no problem (unless that whole torture test thing was rigged) and the Germans have been using it for almost a whole decade now but pictures like that one keep popping up. I hope Hyundai has it figured out, their new Accent seems like a fairly competent small car (so far).

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Audi's 4.2 L FSI V8. This was at 43K miles, and wasn't among the worst the shop had seen. Unfortunately, the sister shop's dyno was unavailable, so we didn't get any numbers before/after cleaning. For what it's worth, though, my butt dyno did note an improvement. The Germans have been using it for a while, but they haven't solved this problem yet.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
So the Camaro ZL1 officially ran the Nurburgring in 7:41.27 which is a few tenths of a second faster than the $120k Corvette ZR1. Granted the track conditions and driver don't make it a fair comparison, but jesus christ you will soon be able to go to a Chevy dealer and exchange about $60k for something that runs the 'ring faster than cars well over 2-3x its price. That time is competitive with a Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera, Nissan GT-R, Zonda, etc. and pretty handily beats a lot of other exotics like the Ferrari F430 (10 seconds faster), etc.

Between this and the news of a supercharged 5.8 liter Mustang GT500 I am super excited about American muscle cars. These cars are stupidly fast--let's hope people keep them on the road.

edit: Video of the run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mhjGERugh0

God drat, what a fun looking ride. I do have to say its performance in the corners is more hold-on-for-dear-life-and-hoon-it-like-you-stole-it than carefree precision. :haw: The car is definitely showing its limits with so much extra power.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 7, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mod sassinator posted:

So the Camaro ZL1 officially ran the Nurburgring in 7:41.27 which is a few tenths of a second faster than the $120k Corvette ZR1.

The last "GM-official" ring time for the ZR1 is 7:19.6.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

kimbo305 posted:

Ah good point.

It's funny to compare the Camaro to something like the GT-R though. The GT-R is all business through the turns with just a hint of drama. It almost looks like a leisurely Sunday drive compared to the ZL1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsXkkWI5MQE

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

The Evo has a transversely mounted engine, while basically all Subarus have longitudinally mounted engines.

I found an old (circa 2005) article that explains it fairly well, unless there's been major changes to the drivetrain design for the Evo X
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/05q1/why_do_these_similar_cars_feel_so_different_-feature

An Evo is still basically a FWD based AWD system, while the Subaru system is essentially RWD-based with no dedicated RWD version (until the new BRZ comes out).

:wtc: That's not how the Evo(any generation) works at all? Where do they even get this stuff?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Which engine is this? I've heard mixed signals regarding DI so far, Ford's Ecoboost seems to have no problem (unless that whole torture test thing was rigged) and the Germans have been using it for almost a whole decade now but pictures like that one keep popping up. I hope Hyundai has it figured out, their new Accent seems like a fairly competent small car (so far).

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/direct-injection-fouls-some-early-adopters.html

It's definitely not because Audis are just unreliable.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/direct-injection-fouls-some-early-adopters.html

It's definitely not because Audis are just unreliable.

Thanks, that article explains it nicely. I guess it's probably best to wait a generation or two for the bugs to be hammered out, like any new-ish technology.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

And I believe Pagani hit 6:45 or something.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
FYI, there's a wikipedia page with all the nurburgring times. Radical SR8 LM has the street legal production car record at 6:48, nearly a full minute faster. A non-road-legal Zonda R did it in 6:47.50 (video!). The ZL1 is nowhere near the 7:20ish top times for GTR, Z06, ZR1 and Viper ACR. I always have to wonder what mods had been made and what tires all those cars were running, though.

There's also a page with Top Gear track times.

grover fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 7, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Road-legal is a hilarious thing when you have things like the Radical being road legal.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Road-legal is a hilarious thing when you have things like the Radical being road legal.

If you like 30 minutes from a track, a Radical is a pretty compelling machine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ziploc posted:

If you like 30 minutes from a track, a Radical is a pretty compelling machine.

Anyone with that kind of outlay for track days can afford a tow rig.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kimbo305 posted:

Anyone with that kind of outlay for track days can afford a tow rig.
It shouldn't count as a street legal production car if you don't drive it to the track. :colbert:

600+hp in an affordable car is still awesome, though, no matter how fast it drives around the ring. These cars were never meant for the twisties anyhow; the real question is: what's the 1/4 mile time?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

grover posted:

It shouldn't count as a street legal production car if you don't drive it to the track. :colbert:

I'm just saying more track guys won't feel like driving even street legal cars to the track.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

A moment of silence, please.

1967-2012 R.I.P. Mazda, your Skyactiv engine better be loving amazing.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mazda has been kind of wishy-washy on whether they're definitely continuing with Wankel development. I've never owned a rotary, but I've always been intrigued by the technology and have always kind of rooted for it just because it's different and an underdog. It's quite possible that the rotary hasn't blown it's last apex seal just yet.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

grover posted:

FYI, there's a wikipedia page with all the nurburgring times. Radical SR8 LM has the street legal production car record at 6:48, nearly a full minute faster. A non-road-legal Zonda R did it in 6:47.50 (video!). The ZL1 is nowhere near the 7:20ish top times for GTR, Z06, ZR1 and Viper ACR. I always have to wonder what mods had been made and what tires all those cars were running, though.

There's also a page with Top Gear track times.

When Caparo manage to finally complete a lap I think they might well beat the SR8.

Oh, and the SR8 that set that time was driven to the track. From the UK. Evo wrote it up as a feature back when it happened.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Dr JonboyG posted:

Oh, and the SR8 that set that time was driven to the track. From the UK. Evo wrote it up as a feature back when it happened.
See, THAT is the real loving deal right there! Was even run on the same Dunlop Direzza semi-slick tires they drove to the 'ring from UK on.

Evo article

grover fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 7, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Guinness posted:

Mazda has been kind of wishy-washy on whether they're definitely continuing with Wankel development. I've never owned a rotary, but I've always been intrigued by the technology and have always kind of rooted for it just because it's different and an underdog. It's quite possible that the rotary hasn't blown it's last apex seal just yet.
Yeah, I was at their HQ a couple of days ago (yes, there'll be a thread when I get back from my holiday), and their on-site museum has an entire room of various-generation Wankels plus RX-8s being used for as many of the other exhibit examples as possible. You get the impression that they're still very proud of the rotary (the entryway to the HQ has its own little shrine to them), I can't see them nailing that coffin lid down any sooner than they absolutely have to.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I was at their HQ a couple of days ago (yes, there'll be a thread when I get back from my holiday), and their on-site museum has an entire room of various-generation Wankels plus RX-8s being used for as many of the other exhibit examples as possible. You get the impression that they're still very proud of the rotary (the entryway to the HQ has its own little shrine to them), I can't see them nailing that coffin lid down any sooner than they absolutely have to.

I came across this a while back

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123759530-The-Mazda-Museum-Tour!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Pretty much the same as it is now, though they've swapped out a couple of things in the concept car area.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I loved the factory. I did the tour in 2008.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MiniFoo posted:

quote:

[Rotary engines] engines have fewer moving parts and are quieter than comparable piston engines

Ahahaha, sure thing, whatever you say buddy :rolleyes:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

KozmoNaut posted:

Ahahaha, sure thing, whatever you say buddy :rolleyes:

Yeah, I pretty much did a double-take at that comment.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

MiniFoo posted:

I hope this is kosher, but I just found that Mazda has announced quite the opposite. It came from a tweet from Mazda PR and I translated it on my blog here, but here's what they just said on the 8th:

quote:

We thank you all very much for the messages of support for the RX-8 and the rotary engine! It's made a deep impression on us. Currently Mazda is working to implement its breakthrough SkyActiv technology and eagerly developing a new model with a next-generation rotary engine. We look forward to your continuing support!
With the way it's worded I can't tell if this new rotary is going to be branded under "SkyActiv" or not but I guess it doesn't make a whole lot of difference anyway. Also if anyone wants to give any feedback on the blog, feel free!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Everything I've read before had said they are continuing development, but mostly as a side project. If it's actively being worked on that's cool. I hope that they can make an emissions friendly fuel efficient model, but at this point I'd be surprised.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
They were working on a hydrogen fueled rotary, but I don't know if that will ever be commercially viable. Especially with the latest direct injection turbo engines giving good economy and power in a relatively small package.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's my understanding that most of the team working on the 16X were moved over to the Skyactiv team, but development on the former still continues at a slow pace.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If there were some crazy alternate reality where NASCAR used cars that were closer to production vehicles and raced on real tracks with left and right turns it would look something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFdHJRG0jsA

That alternate reality is Australia and drat if V8 supercar racing isn't awesome. One hell of a last lap in the Bathurst 1000 race over the weekend.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Mazda should have never offered the RX-8 with an automatic. This isn't just manual transmission snobbery; I actually think that decision did a lot of harm to the public image of rotary engines.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

If there were some crazy alternate reality where NASCAR used cars that were closer to production vehicles

But now Supercars are moving further away from production, right? :(

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

If there were some crazy alternate reality where NASCAR used cars that were closer to production vehicles and raced on real tracks with left and right turns it would look something like this:

That alternate reality is Australia and drat if V8 supercar racing isn't awesome. One hell of a last lap in the Bathurst 1000 race over the weekend.

Or Watkins Glen where there is actually some surprisingly good racing with the Cars of Tomorrow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUltYOtNqmI

NASCAR road racing has actually been pretty entertaining to watch since it started but there has been some legitimately good racing from it pretty recently.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 12, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mod sassinator posted:

Closer, yes. In any way not a silhouette racer, no.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Ambrose was a successful V8 Supercar driver before he moved on to NASCAR. Watching road course videos, he really does look like the only one who has any idea what they are doing. It's great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

Or Watkins Glen where there is actually some surprisingly good racing with the Cars of Tomorrow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUltYOtNqmI

This also came from that race and is pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsSjRhQIu8U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Previa_fun posted:

Mazda should have never offered the RX-8 with an automatic. This isn't just manual transmission snobbery; I actually think that decision did a lot of harm to the public image of rotary engines.

The public knows what a rotary engine is?