Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
yeah, an abrasive disc at 10,000rpm is a real bitch. It hit me so fast I thought the protective shield hit me till I looked and there was a 1/32" thick slot through my finger, with the bone at the bottom and blood starting to ooze out.

It actually didn't hurt too bad. In fact I've had worse pain from slamming my elbow into something accidentally.

Missed all the tendons, all the nerves, didn't fracture the bone (only nicked it), didn't cut any muscle because fingers are mostly fat, and it cauterized everything so it barely bled. I lost maybe a teaspoon of blood between when it happened and when the doc started washing the wound out. It was very strange to see a slot cut through my finger.

Oh, and typing with 9 fingers is a bitch. Definitely slowing me down at work a bit, since my left middle finger has to handle 9 keys now and I'm not fully used to reaching that far with it I make a lot of typos. In fact I've typed 'fingee' and 'finget' a few times :downs:

Funny thing about it - I was working on the jeep again 10 minutes after I got back from the hospital. Just being extremely careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I sanded most of the skin off the back of where the thumb joins the hand. Flap wheel went right through the fabric and foam in the Mechanix gloves. I was removing plasma slag from aluminum for some dude's armor. We had an assembly line going making tens of lames for a guy.

So anyway, instead of sanding the slag, sand the edge you cut. It'll reduce the amount of metal holding on the slag and allow you to zip it off in one pass. And it gets your hand out of the plane.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Car runs but won't go into gear? I wonder what that could be... Clutch slave and master work, lets pull the trans!

Looks like a quality machining job on the flywheel, no run out at all.

Hooray for road racing. Don't know any of the back story on this one, just saw it by the dumpsters at Road America.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Who would leave that by a dumpster? If that poo poo happened to me I'd be hanging the broken wheel on my wall.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Who would leave that by a dumpster? If that poo poo happened to me I'd be hanging the broken wheel on my wall.

Not if the wheel broke because you ran into a pothole/cat/ditch

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
looks like an ultra spindly 'racing wheel' that can't handle torque, I'd be hiding it and pretending I never thought it was a good idea to run those rims.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnJdEFigY2I

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Happened at an AutoX. We weren't TOO surprised, he normally corners like this:

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
Does he even have springs on the front of the car?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

I was cadet on this ship back in 2000. In 1999 or so while sailing in the Atlantic this piece of the hull decided to do its own thing. I heard various stories but the one I believe was that a chief mate improperly loaded the ship and stressed it far too much. That at just a lot of rust. Not my pic, I had a better one at the time that has long since vanished.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
God drat how long did they let the exterior just sit there and rust away.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Chinatown posted:

It happened pretty much instantly. As in it was there then it wasnt and the ship had a 5 degree list until they figured out what happened and moved some ballast water around. The chief had a big part in saving the whole ship.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
No I mean the rest of the hull.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Chinatown posted:

No I mean the rest of the hull.

She was 25 years old. Not worth spending much on.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Chinatown posted:

Not uncommon at all, even for boats that are still in use and not horribly of date or unprofitable. Few years ago Washington State Ferries had to pull an entire class of boats from service due to rust issues below the waterline caused by a complete lack of maintenance.

That or a mate decided they didn't really have to miss that tugboat, then the master ignores the chief engineer screaming at them that there's a 12'x2' gash eighteen inches above the waterline as they head into the North Atlantic. Which wouldn't be too terrible, except he wasn't sure they ever replaced the section of workbench they welded in as a temporary patch. Flag of convenience ships are terrifying, with the Rena grounding in NZ providing a perfect example. Costamare still hasn't said poo poo about how or why it happened, at least MSC made a token donation to the cleanup.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Is there a thread discussing the Rena anywhere about? Interested to hear some knowledgeable goons take on it.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

dissss posted:

Is there a thread discussing the Rena anywhere about? Interested to hear some knowledgeable goons take on it.

Doesn't seem to be, though it was mentioned briefly in the Maritime Transportation thread in a/t.

Not much to say about it really though, Phillipino crew on the Liberian flagged ship owned by the Greek company Costamare drove into the Astrolabe reef during the night on October 5th. The reef is about 12 miles off Tauranga harbor in the Bay of Plenty, west coast of New Zealand a bit south of Auckland. The location of the reef is well known, and clearly marked on any chart newer than about 1865 or so. The bow of the ship has been wedged there since then, with the stern still floating and free to move with the swell as the weather gotten worse.

She currently has about a twenty degree list to starboard, which is more than enough to topple the container stacks. Last I read they'd lost 80-100 of the nearly 1400 boxes she had aboard, it sounds like they've managed to recover a fair number of them but they've also been washing up on the beaches nearby. She's also developed a likely terminal crack amidships, there is serious concern that her stern section will break away if the weather doesn't calm down.

When the grounding occurred she was carrying around 1700ish tons of Bunker C, they estimate 350ish of that has spilled and salvage crews have managed to pump a couple hundred tons out of her and into a barge. They've been having a miserable time with this due to the weather, they can't keep the barge near the ship when the swell picks up, and because of the list and her structural condition they can't keep workers on board either. In addition, it seems that all or part of her onboard fuel transfer infrastructure was destroyed either by the initial collision or by flooding afterword, so they've had to run new pipes and install booster pumps because the barge's pumps weren't enough. Bunker C is pretty close to road tar, it's a residual fuel which means it is basically the leftovers from the refining process that can't be turned into anything more useful. It's cheap, contains a lot of energy per ton, but it's really nasty stuff and is normally heated to get the viscosity low enough that it can be pumped or put through injectors. Imagine trying to pump peanut butter and you're not far off from what they are dealing with.

They being the New Zealand government, I believe Maritime New Zealand or some such. I'm American and only heard about this because my parents are currently getting ready to sail from Australia to New Zealand, my Dad is a retired chief engineer and was absolutely livid about the whole mess. There was no reason for it to happen, and as I said before Costamare hasn't said anything or taken any action but flying the crew that aren't currently facing criminal charges out of the country. The master and the navigator are facing charges that carry a maximum sentence of $10,00 or 12 months in prison, which is ridiculous for an entirely preventable accident that is currently being called New Zealand's worst ecological disaster ever. To add insult to injury, Costamare's insurance seems to be limited to 14 million US dollars, which barely covers the first week and a half or so of recovery and cleanup.

I haven't been paying as much attention to the political end of things, but I know there has been a fair amount of criticism about how the NZ government has been handling this. It seems like a lot of people don't quite understand the scale of a typical container ship, which leads to unrealistic expectations about how quickly 1700 tons of tar can be pumped off a ship with no power or plumbing. There's also been some entirely justified outrage at the ship's crew, the courts have refused to release the names of the master and navigator.

This is mostly a synopsis of the various news articles I've read, hopefully it's relatively accurate. Pictures are pretty easy to find with a google search, because of the location all the ones I've seen have been from the news and I don't really want to rehost them all. I'll answer questions as best I can, and am happy to pass them on to my Dad as well. Too lazy to make this its own thread, hopefully it fits here and isn't too much of a derail.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Happened at an AutoX. We weren't TOO surprised, he normally corners like this:

Yeah, not surprised. I remember riding along with him, he's ridiculously fast. Still, that must have been interesting to watch.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

drzrma posted:

To add to this, I recently sailed into Tauranga harbour.
The media loves to make a big deal of nothing but they have seriously dropped the ball on this - it is far, far worse than images can show. When we arrived in port, there was a horrible sheen of oil coming off our hull just from steaming through the contaminated waters. There are blobs of fuel oil floating in the harbour. The Pacific Dawn had all the boys washing the windows - almost every single one was covered in an oil film.
What's happened has absolutely hosed the beaches - they are completely closed off from what I understand.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
http://gcaptain.com/incident-photos-week-rena?32448

Seems to have a good selection of pictures, and gives some idea how big a 770' ship really is. Along with how hosed this one is given it's got a giant crack amidships. Sounding like it's going to take divers to do anything with the submerged starboard fuel tank, which they haven't managed to pump anything out of yet and if the figures are right still has something like 900 tons of fuel in it.

Two Finger that's lovely to hear, things looked bad enough on the news videos. Lot of pissed off surfers and people who rely on tourism. Especially since there was absolutely no loving reason for this to happen, and Costamare is essentially just going to walk away from it. I think the ship is probably a loss and the captain may not have a good year or two, but nothing compared to what NZ is going to spend on the cleanup and what they'll lose in tourism.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Holy poo poo! :stare:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Goes all the way around the ship too, this is the other side:

Looks like its only a matter of time before the stern breaks off completely.

I'm in New Zealand so have obviously been following this pretty closely in the media (between this and the Rugby little else has been reported) - it looks bad enough in the pictures so I can't even imagine how horrible it is in person.

You wouldn't believe the sheer number of idiot suggestions from armchair experts who can't understand the scale of the thing. Everything from "why don't they just use the airforce helicopters to lift the containers off" to "just tow it off the reef with a few tugboats"

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Holy poo poo! :stare:

Holy crap. Reminds me of pictures of a Liberty Ship before they added an extra beltline.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Did I just gently caress myself? Earlier today I started smelling serious gas smell coming from my Maxima (VQ30DE). When I got home I saw the injector under the intake manifold was leaking quite a bit, so 30 minutes later I had a injector o-ring kit and I went to work.

I got everything off, new seals, put the upper intake manifold back on, and tried to fire the car up. Except it doesn't want to turn over. It's very slow, and it sounds like it doesn't want to do a full compression stroke.

Is there any possibility other than a dropped bolt/nut in the intake manifold that something else may have got a bit messed up? When taking everything off a few things got wet, but nothing major it seems like.

If it is a bolt or a nut in the intake I sure as hell hope I can just fish it out with a magnet; I think my saving grace is that the car didn't actually start.

Also, if a Nut did get jammed in-between a valve, would that cause the car to struggle on a compression stroke?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Why are you so sure there's a nut or bolt in the engine?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You should be looking more at your wiring or battery. There's a good chance a ground got knocked off the block. And are you sure the battery is 100% charged?

How many bolts were you missing when you put it back together?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

ratbert90 posted:

Did I just gently caress myself? Earlier today I started smelling serious gas smell coming from my Maxima (VQ30DE). When I got home I saw the injector under the intake manifold was leaking quite a bit, so 30 minutes later I had a injector o-ring kit and I went to work.

I got everything off, new seals, put the upper intake manifold back on, and tried to fire the car up. Except it doesn't want to turn over. It's very slow, and it sounds like it doesn't want to do a full compression stroke.

Is there any possibility other than a dropped bolt/nut in the intake manifold that something else may have got a bit messed up? When taking everything off a few things got wet, but nothing major it seems like.

If it is a bolt or a nut in the intake I sure as hell hope I can just fish it out with a magnet; I think my saving grace is that the car didn't actually start.

Also, if a Nut did get jammed in-between a valve, would that cause the car to struggle on a compression stroke?
A nut stuck in a valve would probably gently caress up the valve and then drop into the cylinder, loving up more poo poo. A slow crank would be the least of your worries.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Have you tried jumping the car? :v: Dead battery coincidentally?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I can tell you from experience that if you dropped a nut into the cylinder and ran the engine, you would most definitely hear it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
A cylinder is probably full of coolant.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

A cylinder is probably full of coolant.

You know, I didn't even think of that. I will check tomorrow. Funny enough this happened after I left the upper radiator hose off and sprayed coolant everywere.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A good habit to get in to, if feasible, is to turn the engine over by hand with your alternator or balancer or something after doing head work like injectors, plugs, valves, etc just to be sure it goes smoothly. Not completely necessary, but on the few transverse FWD engines I've worked on one of the pulleys was placed well enough that I could spin it around a few times just to check, usually the alternator or PS pump.

Again, not required, but in the uber-rare chance you have dropped something or spilled something down into a cylinder, hand-cranking will cause less damage than the starter motor.

Advice obviously void on certain engine configurations and scenarios, IANAM, etc etc

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

1. are you missing anything? Rings, earrings, nuts, bolts, virginity?

2. are you sure you got the injector plugs back on the right injectors, and if you removed them, the spark wires back on the right spark plugs? On some motors it's easy to get this wrong, on some it isn't.

3. muffler bearings are bad and it's caused the muffler to seize, backing up the exhaust.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

kastein posted:

3. muffler bearings are bad and it's caused the muffler to seize, backing up the exhaust.

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Getn Rod atAnimecon posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

A joke. Like head light fluid.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It's hydrolocking all right. On fuel. :stare: I have, I have no clue.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

ratbert90 posted:

I'll reiterate this.
If you have the plug wires on wrong it can bind like that. Just as the piston is coming back up from BDC if the plug fires a charge in the cylinder it'll feel like the engine is hydrolocked and will slow down cranking. If they're all one plug off, it will crank really weird. Check your plug wires.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Sounds like something more serious than just a bad o-ring. You've got a completely hosed injector (or several :ohdear:) that is dumping fuel into your intake.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

ratbert90 posted:

Once you figure it out remember to change the oil8:1 two-stroke fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EightBit posted:

Sounds like something more serious than just a bad o-ring. You've got a completely hosed injector (or several :ohdear:) that is dumping fuel into your intake.

I swapped the injector with another one and put a new o-ring on it. Works fine again, but holy poo poo that scared me simply because I had the intake off and then the car didn't work. My thoughts immediately went to worst case scenario mode.

chrisgt posted:

I'll reiterate this.
If you have the plug wires on wrong it can bind like that. Just as the piston is coming back up from BDC if the plug fires a charge in the cylinder it'll feel like the engine is hydrolocked and will slow down cranking. If they're all one plug off, it will crank really weird. Check your plug wires.
while your suggestion was a great one, the VQ30DE is DIS and the wiring harness wouldn't allow that to happen. :)