Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Someone on the Obsidian forums says that Tim Cain has now joined Obsidian, he saw it on Tim's facebook page and apparently LinkedIn says the same.

For those who don't know, Tim Cain was the main force behind games like Fallout 1 and Arcanum.

If it's true, that's just totally cool news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Leinadi posted:

Someone on the Obsidian forums says that Tim Cain has now joined Obsidian, he saw it on Tim's facebook page and apparently LinkedIn says the same.

For those who don't know, Tim Cain was the main force behind games like Fallout 1 and Arcanum.

Obsidian Fallout 4 confirmed. Fire up the hype machine.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It'd be interesting if the next villain was utterly sympathetic and had everyone's best interest in mind, but you are opposed to each other on the mere basis that he needs you dead. Maybe because of who you are or what you have, represents a threat to his well-being or many other people's well-being and the quickest way to solve the situation is a bullet to the head, so the quest becomes trying to prove to him that there's a better way and a way to fix the problem without outright killing you.

Something most people do not believe exists at all. Heck, maybe the next villain could be the Brotherhood of Steel, wouldn't that be a twist. And your allies the remnants of whatever is left of the Enclave.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Mordaedil posted:

It'd be interesting if the next villain was utterly sympathetic and had everyone's best interest in mind, but you are opposed to each other on the mere basis that he needs you dead. Maybe because of who you are or what you have, represents a threat to his well-being or many other people's well-being and the quickest way to solve the situation is a bullet to the head, so the quest becomes trying to prove to him that there's a better way and a way to fix the problem without outright killing you.

Something most people do not believe exists at all. Heck, maybe the next villain could be the Brotherhood of Steel, wouldn't that be a twist. And your allies the remnants of whatever is left of the Enclave.

These are actually awesome ideas. I never saw the BoS as overly sympathetic anyway. I think Bethesda just got carried away with the whole awesome power armoured knights in the future poo poo with FO3.

An enemy that wants you dead out of necessity while they try to effect meaningful, good change would be loving awesome for an RPG while you play a good guy or a bad guy. Bad guy wants to gently caress it up for everyone, good guy has to try and figure out some system to overcome the whole good ending/not ending up dead thing.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Mordaedil posted:

Maybe if the Enclave remnants were using ~advanced technology~ to help people in the wastes. BoS would be all up in that poo poo tryna shut it down. It'd be pretty cool.

What Beth could've done in FO3 was have the big bad guys be a contingent of western BoS who've come to take the DC chapter to task for basically going totally off-mission. They'd still outmatch the DC BoS the same way the Enclave did, except they'd actually be interesting, rather than pointlessly evil and totally rehashed.

Oh well.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Mordaedil posted:

Maybe someone like Ulysses, who wants you dead for personal reasons, but with a bigger plan for the wasteland then just revenge?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Father Wendigo posted:

This sounds interesting if only for the idea of the entire map being choked with cars, just waiting for a spare .22 round to set off the whole minefield.

An entire map designed like the entrance bridge to The Pitt. gently caress.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sam. posted:

Maybe someone like Ulysses, who wants you dead for personal reasons, but with a bigger plan for the wasteland then just revenge?

Revenge is rarely as sympathetic than you actually representing a threat and having to live with it. Maybe even establish early on that you are a threat and leave the player with hanging doubts whether their survival is the right thing to do if it makes so many other people suffer.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Still hoping for Fallout Commonwealth where you play a "liberated android" who can either join up with the railroad and help liberate more or go back to the Institute and help them get rid of the railroad/hunt down androids.

(I just want tribals who speak with ridiculous New england accents.)

Mutated lobsters Would those be cape lurks? Lobstah lurks?

A vault full of puritan dwellers who dress like pilgrims near plymouth. You can get them to leave the vault and set up the (second) first thanksgiving with the tribals.

This poo poo writes itself!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Dear rope kid,

Please no prequels. At least, not if they're set in the typical California area Prequels almost invariably retcon things in the name of novelty.

Also, Fallout 3 & New Vegas both had you chasing a person, not an item. For me, it was much less tolerable to get lost in side-quests when you know you're supposed to be finding a person. Particularly a person like Benny, who was pretty much guaranteed to be in New Vegas. And once you find Benny and talk to House, the sense of urgency they project is such that it really breaks the immersion to not immediately go to the Fort (and thereby skip a bunch of side quests).

Thank you :3:

Edit:
Fallout Tactics kinda already went there, but a midwest or Rust Belt Fallout would be a lot of fun. I also like the idea another poster had about Canadian factions still upset about the annexation, and if it was set in states like Michigan or New York you could have missions (or even DLC) that takes you across the border. :canada:

Edit 2:

Eiba posted:

After New Vegas I will be extremely disappointed if the next Fallout isn't saturated in moral ambiguity. You can still have bad guys, but they should make at least as much sense as Caesar's Legion. This isn't just a dig at Fallout 3. Even the Master and Enclave in 1 and 2 weren't nearly as interesting Caesar. And Caesar's Legion also demonstrated that you could have this kind of nuance, and at the end of the day still essentially be pretty drat evil.
:stare:
We disagree on that, goon sir.

The Master is the most morally ambiguous villain in the Fallout universe, except for maybe Mr. House (if he can be called a villain). The Master wanted to turn everybody into super mutants so that they would be better equipped to survive the post-apocalypse. Yhose who didn't submit to mutation would be sterilized and sent on their merry way. Only people who outright fought against the Master would be killed. He also didn't know super mutants were sterile, so he genuinely thought he'd be making life better for those who were dipped in the vats.

The Enclave was the opposite of the Master. They saw the mutants and decided that the best way to ensure humanity's survival would be to purge the wastes of - not just ghouls and super mutants - but all mutated abominations that had been affected by the FEV. However, they go off the deep-end when they decide that people with no outward sign of mutation but with traces of FEV in their system (90% of the Wasteland) should also die. Compared to the Master, the Enclave was much less morally ambiguous given that they're preaching outright genocide and didn't have the naive hope that the Master had. The Master was also insane as opposed to calculatingly genocidal.

The Calculator (Fallout: Tactics) was basically SkyNet.

Caesar is an an uber-successful classicist-cum-raider who also believes what he's doing is in the best interests of humanity, though he seems peculiarly aware that his position is fragile. I'd say he's much more Enclave than Master on the morality spectrum, considering he deliberately makes life substantially worse for half the people he comes across, presumably so that the other half can live (what he thinks) is a better and more rewarding life. To an outsider, the Legion offers you (particularly gruesome and torturous) death, chattel slavery, or forced military service, so I don't see how he's any more morally ambiguous than FO2-era Enclave or the Master.

Pretty much every Fallout villain has thought they were making life substantially better for the benefactors of their experiments. What sets the Master apart from the Enclave or Caesar is that he wasn't so evil as to kill all the people who had no interest in participating. The only truly villainous thing about him is that he wanted to sterilize the humans who didn't want to be super mutants, but compared to genocide or execution/enslavement, forced sterilization seems pretty benign. The Master was trying to make life better for everyone, the Enclave was trying to make life better for every human, and Caesar is trying to make life better for the people with the lucky lottery tickets.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 12, 2011

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Leinadi posted:

Holy poo poo! Does that mean that whatever MMO he was working now is dead too? This is the best news ever. It has been way too long since that man has released a game(I think the last was Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines). But seriously, if Bethesda doesn't turn Obsidian into some sort of Fallout game writing company, then it is because they hate money and people who enjoy games that are well written.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

SpaceMost posted:

Also, Fallout 3 & New Vegas both had you chasing a person, not an item. For me, it was much less tolerable to get lost in side-quests when you know you're supposed to be finding a person. Particularly a person like Benny, who was pretty much guaranteed to be in New Vegas. And once you find Benny and talk to House, the sense of urgency they project is such that it really breaks the immersion to not immediately go to the Fort (and thereby skip a bunch of side quests).

What about you don't get an objective until right at the end and you just float around at a loose end being a fuckhead/good human for as long as you like.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

What about you don't get an objective until right at the end and you just float around at a loose end being a fuckhead/good human for as long as you like.

The beginning of Morrowind struck me kind of like this. While you did have an objective (go meet some guy in Balmora) it was hardly presented as urgent.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Eiba posted:

You don't really have to even shoehorn it in. Most of the eastern US is naturally a fairly dense forest, and over a hundred years without civilization it would go right back to being that. DC should have reverted to an impenetrable swamp.

Bethesda basically should've just made Capital Wasteland look like D.C. did in Logan's Run. That they didn't suggests that they've never seen Logan's Run, and so should never have been entrusted to make a Fallout game in the first place. Or at least not one set in Washington D.C.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

I think the problem with that is in an open world you could very easily stumble across the "end" trigger relatively early in the game.

To be honest, I have no idea how to fix that criticism I had. You would need to have:
- Relatively few clues about how to complete your objective in the early game
- Some way to prevent the 'end trigger'/objective from appearing IG until some time has passed and/or you complete an inconspicuous quest(s)
- Less obvious destination/less obvious breadcrumb trail (Yeah, I saw X! He went to Y!)
- More large settlements competing for your attention

Calling it Fallout: New Vegas was a bit of a mistake, I think. It'd be like calling Fallout 2, Fallout: San Francisco Oil Tanker. I'm not sure if it would put too much stress on the hardware, but Fallout 4 should have two or three large settlements like Fallout 1 & 2 had, instead of one that becomes the player's default destination.

Fallout 2 had San Francisco, NCR (Shady Sands), Vault City and New Reno all in the same game. Even Fallout had the Hub and the Boneyard.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

SpaceMost posted:

I think the problem with that is in an open world you could very easily stumble across the "end" trigger relatively early in the game.

Im not sure why thats a problem really though? In Morrowind you could waltz up to the last boss literally minutes after starting, he'd check his watch go "Boy youre here early, ok..lets rock"

What's so bad about that?

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

SpaceMost posted:

I think more that your given some guidance and some leading quests, but there is a laid back feel. It isn't like you get shot in the head and go "son of a bitch must die" (a natural reaction) it's more like you are some guy and something innocuous happens. You thin "I could keep farming Molerats here forever happily, but I'm interested in this vague happening." There's no rush, you can eventually push the story along, but farming Molerats until you die of old age, you're ok with that too.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

TheOriginalEd posted:

Im not sure why thats a problem really though? In Morrowind you could waltz up to the last boss literally minutes after starting, he'd check his watch go "Boy youre here early, ok..lets rock"

What's so bad about that?
Nothing, really.
Insofar as it was an issue in Fallout 3 & NV, it was because you couldn't keep playing after the credits rolled. I'm a bit biased though because in Fallout 3 I went the "do your own thing" route after Megaton and nevertheless stumbled across Liam Neeson pretty early into the game.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Obsidian ARCANUM loving 2 confirmed. Fire up the hype machine.

Hold on here, we know which game series needs the sequel.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Mordaedil posted:

Heck, maybe the next villain could be the Brotherhood of Steel, wouldn't that be a twist.

Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas both made the Brotherhood look pretty weak.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
But... But Fallout 4... :ohdear:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Hold on here, we know which game series needs the sequel.

Don't get my hopes up! :mad:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

SpaceMost posted:

Dear rope kid,

Please no prequels. At least, not if they're set in the typical California area Prequels almost invariably retcon things in the name of novelty.

Thank you :3:

After getting the chip and taking it to the fort the game seems to be pretty lax about your next move. No matter which faction you go with at that point the quest-giver pretty much says "Hey, could you check out this Boomers thing for me? Thanks man." and its not at all framed as urgent or dire.

They even put the Hoover Dam battle as being awhile before it happens, so no matter what leg of the main quest you're on post-Benny its pretty cool about letting you gently caress around, without Oblivion's immersion-breaking sense of "FATE RESTS IN YOUR HANDS YOUNG HERO."

quote:

:stare:
We disagree on that, goon sir.

The Master is the most morally ambiguous villain in the Fallout universe, except for maybe Mr. House (if he can be called a villain). The Master wanted to turn everybody into super mutants so that they would be better equipped to survive the post-apocalypse. Yhose who didn't submit to mutation would be sterilized and sent on their merry way. Only people who outright fought against the Master would be killed. He also didn't know super mutants were sterile, so he genuinely thought he'd be making life better for those who were dipped in the vats.

The Enclave was the opposite of the Master. They saw the mutants and decided that the best way to ensure humanity's survival would be to purge the wastes of - not just ghouls and super mutants - but all mutated abominations that had been affected by the FEV. However, they go off the deep-end when they decide that people with no outward sign of mutation but with traces of FEV in their system (90% of the Wasteland) should also die. Compared to the Master, the Enclave was much less morally ambiguous given that they're preaching outright genocide and didn't have the naive hope that the Master had. The Master was also insane as opposed to calculatingly genocidal.

The Calculator (Fallout: Tactics) was basically SkyNet.

Caesar is an an uber-successful classicist-cum-raider who also believes what he's doing is in the best interests of humanity, though he seems peculiarly aware that his position is fragile. I'd say he's much more Enclave than Master on the morality spectrum, considering he deliberately makes life substantially worse for half the people he comes across, presumably so that the other half can live (what he thinks) is a better and more rewarding life. To an outsider, the Legion offers you (particularly gruesome and torturous) death, chattel slavery, or forced military service, so I don't see how he's any more morally ambiguous than FO2-era Enclave or the Master.

Pretty much every Fallout villain has thought they were making life substantially better for the benefactors of their experiments. What sets the Master apart from the Enclave or Caesar is that he wasn't so evil as to kill all the people who had no interest in participating. The only truly villainous thing about him is that he wanted to sterilize the humans who didn't want to be super mutants, but compared to genocide or execution/enslavement, forced sterilization seems pretty benign. The Master was trying to make life better for everyone, the Enclave was trying to make life better for every human, and Caesar is trying to make life better for the people with the lucky lottery tickets.

The lottery thing was literally terrorism meant to gently caress with the NCR's heads, not Caesar's normal way of doing things. In the Legion ending (well, unless Caesar dies and you go with the Monster of the East, but what would you expect from that guy) after the NCR is pushed back the Legion is pretty good about only enslaving some groups but just leaving all the others be. Its not the murder-rape-kill campaign you see before, which was basically just the Legion practicing total warfare against the NCR. They still have obvious problems as a group (misogyny) but it sounds like you missed the point.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Obsidian Fallout 4 confirmed. Fire up the hype machine.

I'm pretty sure Bethesda is going to do Fallout 4, and then have Obsidian do the following installment.

And if I had to take a guess, I'd say that many of the posters are pretty close and that the game will revolve around The Commonwealth/New England. Boston and NYC could be the two major cities. We visited Pittsburgh already, and Toronto is apparently on the way up as well.

I'd like to touch on the vegetation issues in Fallout 3. I think part of the problem with that is limitations with the Gamebryo engine. The plants usually end up looking like poo poo, you can't see anything through the shrubbery or grass, so good luck finding any of the loot.

Another poster - sorry, I forget who - mentioned several pages back that the next game should start you off without a pipboy. Meaning you have to find some poor Vault Dweller and saw their arm off to get at it. Either that or you can be a nice guy and pay caps out the rear end for one.

In fact, you know what would be hilarious? If you run into some NPC named the "Lone Wanderer" and you can murder him for his pipboy. :black101:

reagan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 12, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So, Yes Man.

quote:

Then what is the implication? That seems to be what everyone reads into it-- Yes Man reprogramming himself to be more 'assertive' is kind of ominous!

That he will not just roll over for the next person to walk up to him in the Courier's absence. I.e. he will become a somewhat-independent steward instead of a powerful tool for any random person to use for nefarious purposes.

:colbert:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

The lottery thing was literally terrorism meant to gently caress with the NCR's heads, not Caesar's normal way of doing things. In the Legion ending (well, unless Caesar dies and you go with the Monster of the East, but what would you expect from that guy) after the NCR is pushed back the Legion is pretty good about only enslaving some groups but just leaving all the others be. Its not the murder-rape-kill campaign you see before, which was basically just the Legion practicing total warfare against the NCR. They still have obvious problems as a group (misogyny) but it sounds like you missed the point.
In other words, the end justifies the means?
You could apply that same logic to the Enclave or the Master('s ideal).

Of course life would be better for the benefactors of their particular programs. Under the Enclave, people wouldn't need to run from giant scorpions or deal with icky ghouls and minigun-toting Super Mutants. Under the Master, people wouldn't need to worry about radiation and could go fisticuffs with wanamingos and deathclaws. Precisely what makes them evil is the means by which they force their philosophy on bystanders.

For example, if the Master offered voluntary vat dips and didn't even bother trying to sterilize humans, he wouldn't be evil. He'd just be some freaky blobular posthumanist. If the Enclave built a utopia on Madagascar for non-FEV infected peoples, they would still be racist isolationist xenophobes but they wouldn't necessarily be evil.

Caesar doesn't get a free pass because his methods were only a temporary wartime measure.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
The Enclave were degenerate human-bioweapon-testing representatives of the hilariously cruel Dr. Strangelove government that destroyed the planet and turned humanity's last hope for survival into a series of social-experiment torture pits for giggles, the Master is a straight up Saturday morning cartoon megalomaniac whose only "ambiguity" is the running joke in the sequels that all the Super Mutants are chill dudes who just miss the days of being a mindless ravening horde of doom, and Caesar's Legion are slaving fascist savages. Just because there's not a lot of pure unstained good guys in the setting to contrast by doesn't make being cartoonishly evil "morally ambiguous".

It's fine that they're a pleasure to kill and it's a credit to the writing that anyone could buy their bullshit for even a second, but Fallout is really not a dark and introspective social commentary. It's a game where you kill giant radioactive ants using a laser pistol with chrome fins on it to save the mutant orphanage.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 12, 2011

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Grinning Goblin posted:

Holy poo poo! Does that mean that whatever MMO he was working now is dead too? This is the best news ever. It has been way too long since that man has released a game(I think the last was Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines). But seriously, if Bethesda doesn't turn Obsidian into some sort of Fallout game writing company, then it is because they hate money and people who enjoy games that are well written.

He released Hunted: Demon's Forge earlier this year which was basically Gears of War with bows and swords. I hear it wasn't terrible in co-op, but my friend refused to buy it, so I've had it on the backburner after it acted like poo poo in singleplayer.

LLCoolJD posted:

Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas both made the Brotherhood look pretty weak.
Yes, but Bethesda seems to confuse them for D&D Paladins, just because they possess that title. I doubt we'll see this though, because it isn't the style Bethesda usually develops games with.

poptart_fairy posted:

So, Yes Man.

:colbert:
I am forever corrected and kinda saddened by this. I liked the idea that you were always someone puppet and had to act as the enabler to others rise to power more. But it's Obsidian's tale to tell.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

The Enclave were degenerate human-bioweapon-testing representatives of the hilariously cruel Dr. Strangelove government that destroyed the planet and turned humanity's last hope for survival into a series of social-experiment torture pits for giggles, the Master is a straight up Saturday morning cartoon megalomaniac whose only "ambiguity" is the running joke in the sequels that all the Super Mutants are chill dudes who just miss the days of being a mindless ravening horde of doom, and Caesar's Legion are slaving fascist savages. Just because there's not a lot of pure unstained good guys in the setting to contrast by doesn't make being cartoonishly evil "morally ambiguous".

It's fine that they're a pleasure to kill and it's a credit to the writing that anyone could buy their bullshit for even a second, but Fallout is really not a dark and introspective social commentary. It's a game where you kill giant radioactive ants using a laser pistol with chrome fins on it to save the mutant orphanage.

Perfectly true. The whole writing thing is still a pretty slippery slope which can make this experience really awesome or suck incredibly. I was really suprised how NV captured the atmosphere of the first two games, something I frankly thought was impossible nowadays. Sad fact is that Bethesda can't write it's way out of a wet paper bag. I admit I know literally nothing about the elder scrolls universe on account that I never cared much for it, but when I hear about Skyrim and there being nords and dragons I ask myself "can you get any more generic?" and I guess the answer is, not really. Doubt they learn from their mistakes because commercially, their mistakes are successes and why care when you still make money?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Party pooper. :colbert:

Though I don't think anyone is claiming that it's a social commentary, just that the villain's motivations are usually more fleshed-out than "I am the villain and I am going to do Something Evil because it's evil and that's just what I do.~" And depending how much you buy in to the Fallout world, you can even find yourself agreeing with the villain in some circumstances.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 12, 2011

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Police Automaton posted:

Perfectly true. The whole writing thing is still a pretty slippery slope which can make this experience really awesome or suck incredibly. I was really suprised how NV captured the atmosphere of the first two games, something I frankly thought was impossible nowadays. Sad fact is that Bethesda can't write it's way out of a wet paper bag. I admit I know literally nothing about the elder scrolls universe on account that I never cared much for it, but when I hear about Skyrim and there being nords and dragons I ask myself "can you get any more generic?" and I guess the answer is, not really. Doubt they learn from their mistakes because commercially, their mistakes are successes and why care when you still make money?

Beth on the whole can't write for poo poo (there were a couple gems in Oblivion but mostly it was trash) but I still admire the wisdom/balls they had in hiring Obsidian to make a game with their engine using what's now their IP. It was a really awesome move.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Mordaedil posted:

That would be a neat idea, but it's kind of hard to imagine a reasonable circumstance in which he would genuinely need you dead.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It may be the fact that Forza 4 just came out and I've been driving around too much in my new '57 T-Bird, but I think that a vehicle-centric Fallout: Detroit would be the best thing ever. Just imagine it-scrounging around in the ruins of Downtown Detroit looking for alcohol to fuel your post-apocalyptic '58 Cadillac, braving strafing runs from raiders in B-24s based at Willow Run. :allears:

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Strudel Man posted:

That would be a neat idea, but it's kind of hard to imagine a reasonable circumstance in which he would genuinely need you dead.

IIRC Van Buren had a sort of neat concept in the design doc they never explored fully, where the player's sort of an unwitting Typhoid Mary type totally ignorant of what's going on but spreading plague and leaving a wake of destruction behind them everywhere they go, and some of the villains are just aware that it's in their and everyone else's interest to imprison or put a bullet in the PC before they hit more populated areas. Of course in Fallout players tend to leave a very deliberate wake of destruction behind them everywhere they go sooo...

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 12, 2011

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It may be the fact that Forza 4 just came out and I've been driving around too much in my new '57 T-Bird, but I think that a vehicle-centric Fallout: Detroit would be the best thing ever. Just imagine it-scrounging around in the ruins of Downtown Detroit looking for alcohol to fuel your post-apocalyptic '58 Cadillac, braving strafing runs from raiders in B-24s based at Willow Run. :allears:

1958 or 2058? Because both would exist in the universe. The 2058 one is probably nuclear powered too.

Hm. How about a driving game based on Fallout cars and their quirks?

Fallout Kart! I call Benny.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Van Buren had a sort of neat concept they never explored all that deeply even in the design document, where the player's sort of an unwitting Typhoid Mary type totally ignorant of what's going on but spreading plague and leaving a wake of destruction behind them everywhere they go and a lot of people benefit from them dying for that. Of course in Fallout players tend to leave a very deliberate wake of destruction behind them everywhere they go sooo...

I like the whole idea behind Van Buren's plot. Basically the bad guy needed to trick a computer into thinking that there was a US-wide outbreak of a virus by imprisoning people with a virus he helped reintroduce into the general population, which would give him access to nukes that were meant to be a last-ditch way to "purge" the virus from the country, but he would use it to nuke everyone and rebuild the world the way he wanted it. It might've been kinda silly (using nukes to get rid of a virus? Really?) but it'd be a nice twist from the usual "collect blah blah blah and suddenly the bad guys appear!" because YOU are a MacGuffin that the bad guy needs to collect.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

closeted republican posted:

I like the whole idea behind Van Buren's plot. Basically the bad guy needed to trick a computer into thinking that there was a US-wide outbreak of a virus by imprisoning people with a virus he helped reintroduce into the general population, which would give him access to nukes that were meant to be a last-ditch way to "purge" the virus from the country, but he would use it to nuke everyone and rebuild the world the way he wanted it. It might've been kinda silly (using nukes to get rid of a virus? Really?) but it'd be a nice twist from the usual "collect blah blah blah and suddenly the bad guys appear!" because YOU are a MacGuffin that the bad guy needs to collect.

I really loving loved that your homebase is a big high-security automated prison that a giant unstoppable warden robot keeps capturing and dragging you back to, over and over again, from which you always immediately escape because the robots aren't programmed to notice there's a man-sized hole in the wall. Then it turns out you really should have stayed put anyway.

So many awesome concepts in there

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 12, 2011

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

Off the tip of my head, yes, but it's not too difficult if you think about it enough. It doesn't have to be extremely complex. Just complex enough that you are a nuisance and need to be dead for things to start rolling. Or maybe something as simple as a pace-maker you have that is the only thing keeping you alive, it being sufficiently advanced enough to also be able to act as a key for a vault that holds an active fission reactor and it is steadily going out of control. Everyone knows it is going out of control because it is broadcasting in a radio signal everyone listens to and switches frequency often enough to interrupt broadcasts of whatever radio station is default in that game.

And that's a bit clichéd quick-thinking on my part. I'm sure you can make it an even more credible threat than a time-bomb. How about a broken water chip that has supplied the denizens of the entire Manhattan block with drinking water for the last 50 years, but every way off the island is laced with cazadores, so everyone are too afraid to leave and without water, they'll die, so...

Surely you can think of even better things.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Yeah, but couldn't you say the same of any game, ever? Like, at its core, Bioshock is a game about beating up on mutant retards with an electric wrench if you completely ignore the overt Objectivist themes running through the entire thing. You can ignore it all in New Vegas too, but it doesn't mean its not there in some capacity, especially when the lead designer comes into the thread and straight-up says he tried to make the Legion somewhat relatable or sympathetic, and wishes we could've seen more of their culture so they would seem less overtly evil. The fact that it was even attempted (even if it didn't succeed) speaks volumes over the Elclave, who are almost literally nazis in power armor perpetuating a global holocaust. Lumping the two together seems kind of disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Haha, I'm still laughing at the possibility of "Fallout: Oslo" mentioned a couple pages back.

I bet it would be the best selling FO game in Norway by quite a margin, if nothing else.