Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Tarradax posted:

How do I do that? I don't think my Lightning Spear or Drake sword can jump-attack...

left stick forward and R2/RT. Even if they can't (I don't remember with the Drake Sword and didn't use the Lightning Spear) you should have something with you that can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
So I got to play this for the first time at a friend's place yesterday. It's like Godhand and Legend of Zelda had a really hardcore kid. It's so amazing.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

gently caress stats. If you wanna look like the badass pimp-king of pyromancy try mixing the crimson cloth armor with Ornstein's chestpiece.

http://i.imgur.com/tz1H7.jpg

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So what shields are good to make the sweet magic butterfly shield? Running around Anor Londo now and I suspect ill be meeting the best blacksmith eventually.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
Hopefully the pivot glitch gets patched out soon, and hope for good multiplayer may rise. From is a very weird company however. :unsmigghh:

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Sarcophallus posted:

I'll spare you the effort of testing and tell you that there isn't any truth to that. Weapon speed is entirely dependent on the weapon.

There's some truth in it. If you don't meet the stat requirements for a weapon you'll swing it slow as poo poo. Could be how that rumor got started.

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!

Smelly posted:

left stick forward and R2/RT. Even if they can't (I don't remember with the Drake Sword and didn't use the Lightning Spear) you should have something with you that can.

I think all my weapons just do a strong forward smash/thrust with forward + R2. Trying all of them atm.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Aralan posted:

Oh man, and I was thinking "It's pretty dumb that there's no bonfire teleport for anywhere near blight town" after I got the lordvessel. I killed that dumb spider because I figured I didn't care about her covenant. Wish I had known it was an important bonfire
Someone else said you can still teleport to the bonfire even if you kill her, it just won't be lit.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

So nothing but int, attunement and maybe some endurance/vit then? I'm still very early game (as in second bonfire before taurus demon) so I don't want to gimp myself too badly. I've put a few points in endurance and one in dex.

My demon's soul caster was all over the place with a focus on int (mid 40s) and then I spent everything on either endurance, vit and enough strength to wield the crescent falchion.

Essentially this, get enough strength and dex to use whatever weapon you need (longbow, winged spear maybe, shotel maybe, comedy option 22 strength for that big scimitar in Blight town that heals you every time it hits) then poo poo pile on int, with some endurance, attunement and vitality.

If your good on your farming and have been trading to snuggly, you can start breaking out enchanted weapons before you fight quelaag.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
How does upgrading on shields work? They are listed under the "Weapons" section. Does that mean I can upgrade a shield to a lightning +5 shield? I'm doing a naked deprived Shield+Shield run.

Also I found out how to make wierd colored dudes with the character creator. If you go to the customize screen, there is a slider for "similar face" If you move the slider all the way to different and then mash the button a bunch your character's face will get all downsey and his skin will change color. I'm doing my Deprived Shield+Shield run with a bright blue guy who is the spitting image of Bubba from Forrest Gump.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

OmegaZultan posted:

So what shields are good to make the sweet magic butterfly shield? Running around Anor Londo now and I suspect ill be meeting the best blacksmith eventually.

Any shield will work fine for this, and any unique item. It doesn't continue to upgrade the existing shield, rather, it turns it into a separate item with unique stats.

quote:

I think all my weapons just do a strong forward smash/thrust with forward + R2. Trying all of them atm.

You have to press forward and strong attack at the exact same time to do the leap attack, similar to kicking. The timing can be a bit wonky.

G.I. Jaw fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 12, 2011

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Well. I got the Hellfire's tale. Still can't get him, though

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Tired of trying to navigate the Crystal Cave. Is there a path somewhere I'm missing?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Tarradax posted:

You have to mash down the left stick exactly at the same time you hit R2. It takes some practice to get it down.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Having some trouble with a regular enemy. Anyone have strategy for killing pinwheel skeletons in the painting[spoiler]? [spoiler]There seem to be a lot of them in the sewers, and I end up getting mobbed and/or my positioning gets screwed up.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Cuchulain posted:

So I got to play this for the first time at a friend's place yesterday. It's like Godhand and Legend of Zelda had a really hardcore kid. It's so amazing.

I suddenly want God Hand's soundtrack in Dark Souls. "Gene's Rock-A-Bye" every time all the time.

Also, Dark Souls really does a good job of making me afraid to play. I'm finding it easier to obsess over the game online rather than actually play the drat thing; despite having a blast when I do pick up the controller. I got the game on the 4th and have only played 18 hours, and in that time I haven't even rung the second bell. Man, this will be a slow burner.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
So I'm debating what weapon type I want to use. I prefer standard straight sword or katana style move sets so I can kick people if I want, slash with R1 and poke with R2.

I'm a faith heavy build and currently using Astora's Straight Sword with a +5 Longsword as back up (with Resin or whatever other enchant as needed). I have 11 Strength and 12 Dex and would prefer not to invest much more in either one of them.

Right now I'm considering pushing the Longsword into Divine and then Occult (or maybe fire) but would like some feedback on other options. That fury sword looks sick and I'd like a nice looking weapon as well as being functional but the scaling on it won't fit my build and I'm not a fan of the Scimitar move set I think it uses.

Does anyone have much experience with the katanas in the game? Any good faith based katanas without having to build one from scratch? Any other options on one-handed straight swords that are faith based aside from Astora's or a Divine/Occult weapon?

*edit* I'm only level 29 and just got passed Gaping Dragon. Farming souls isn't a problem but I don't have any good vendors opened up for buying mats.

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!

Guliani is HOT posted:

You have to mash down the left stick exactly at the same time you hit R2. It takes some practice to get it down.

Aha! Got it now. Thanks so much :D

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sarcophallus posted:

Tired of trying to navigate the Crystal Cave. Is there a path somewhere I'm missing?

Yes. Keep an eye out for notes left by players seemingly in midair, then take note of the falling snowflakes. They will hit and dissipate on an invisible platform.

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:
I'm going to start my first playthrough today. :dance:

I don't care about PvP. In Demon's Souls I created a balanced character in which I distributed soul points equally (with the exception of luck). This worked out well and allowed me to explore all aspects of the game.

Is it possible to do the above and end up with an effective character in Dark Souls? Which class do you recommend?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Having some trouble with a regular enemy. Anyone have strategy for killing pinwheel skeletons in the painting? There seem to be a lot of them in the sewers, and I end up getting mobbed and/or my positioning gets screwed up.
Keep shield up, poke with spear?

This is one of those enemies that is causing a lot of people trouble and I'm not sure why. Their attack doesn't seem to cause a lot of stamina loss on block, and once they stop they're stationary for a long time so you can pick them off.

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004
Has anyone figured out the math behind the different levels of stat scaling? I'm going for a STR build, and I can't quite tell what my best option for end game weapon will be.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

oneliquidninja posted:

stuff

Astora's Straight Sword is a pain in the rear end to upgrade, I'd advise picking a regular sword and working on upgrading it to divine, although you can use the Straight Sword when it still does better damage. Check the wiki for a pretty good list of weapons.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Where is the hitbox for cutting off Gaping Dragon's tail? It seems to really be hit or miss.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

enojy posted:

Yes. Keep an eye out for notes left by players seemingly in midair, then take note of the falling snowflakes. They will hit and dissipate on an invisible platform.

I know about those.

I got to the 2nd Butterfly when I got stuck with seemingly nowhere to go. I killed the three geckos in the cave beneath it, and then there were no paths left that I could see.

Kill Your Friends
Mar 30, 2010
Pretty basic question, am I supposed to be fighting the evil black knight guys yet? I'm only level 12, warrior. I never played Demons Souls so I'm pretty new to the series and their design philosophy. The only black knights I've run into are the one before the Taurus demon tower and the one in the tower overlooking the red wyvern thing. They both wrecked my poo poo completely and I could only do 12 damage per hit to them, should I leave em for later?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Kill Your Friends posted:

Pretty basic question, am I supposed to be fighting the evil black knight guys yet? I'm only level 12, warrior. I never played Demons Souls so I'm pretty new to the series and their design philosophy. The only black knights I've run into are the one before the Taurus demon tower and the one in the tower overlooking the red wyvern thing. They both wrecked my poo poo completely and I could only do 12 damage per hit to them, should I leave em for later?

Yes, leave them for later.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

I know about those.

I got to the 2nd Butterfly when I got stuck with seemingly nowhere to go. I killed the three geckos in the cave beneath it, and then there were no paths left that I could see.

I'm pretty sure you can go farther on the lizard path (opposite the direction you enter the little cave they're in!) which takes you to the boss. You should walk above another solid path with a crystal golem and a corpse.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 12, 2011

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CoderCat posted:

Is it possible to do the above and end up with an effective character in Dark Souls? Which class do you recommend?

Pretty much, though investing heavily into either Miracles or Sorcery would be difficult early on. You could get a few points of Attunement and use Pyromancy though, which has no particular attribute requirements.

As for class, go with whatever looks most appealing, it's just stats + initial equip (all of which you can get later, but some much later).

You can dabble in Sorcery/Miracles, but using either as your main 'thing' requires a more serious investment (not just in stats, but also in equipment).

Sticking to vit/end and str and/or dex plus a bit of attunement gives you plenty of health and stamina and the ability to use most weapons to try everything out, and you can still use Pyromancy and a bit of utility spells from the other schools.

I'd either go whole hog on a caster type char, or try it for your second.

doctor/prostitute
Sep 30, 2004

You really ought to lock that down
WHAT THE gently caress JUST HAPPENED TO MY HEAD?

I'm guessing anyone who's seen what I'm talking about will understand what that means, but just in case: I just turned the game on and witin 30 seconds of leaving the bonfire in Blighttown my character started clutching his head, then suddenly this weird egg/mucus type thing appeared over it. I can't wear a helmet and this thing seems to be eating half my souls to boot. How the gently caress do I get rid of this thing? Is it going to hatch if I keep gaining souls and "feeding" it?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Sostratos posted:

Has anyone figured out the math behind the different levels of stat scaling? I'm going for a STR build, and I can't quite tell what my best option for end game weapon will be.

I'm not an expert but if you're going to dump heavily into STR, keeping to the normal +15 upgrade path seems to be the way to go. Upgrades like Raw decrease scaling, and by keeping it basic you can still use weapon enchant spells or items.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
I think I've completely ballsed my save up.

I'm stuck at the bottom bonfire in blight town, I'm still cursed (I have no idea where the female undead vendor was so I just soldiered on and killed the sewer boss gaping dragon

So im at the bottom with no purple moss left, 5 estus flasks because I cant kindle the bonfire whilst cursed, and theres no way in hell I can take Chaos Queen whilst poisoned.

Then to top it all off I killed patches because I hate that guy and accidently killed the pyro guy in the depths because I aoe smashed barrels and pissed him off

How hosed am I?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

doctor/prostitute posted:

I'm guessing anyone who's seen what I'm talking about will understand what that means, but just in case: I just turned the game on and witin 30 seconds of leaving the bonfire in Blighttown my character started clutching his head, then suddenly this weird egg/mucus type thing appeared over it. I can't wear a helmet and this thing seems to be eating half my souls to boot. How the gently caress do I get rid of this thing? Is it going to hatch if I keep gaining souls and "feeding" it?

Congratulations!

It's a worm! You've been infected when you were down in Quelaags Lair. Those egg sac dudes can infect you.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

doctor/prostitute posted:

If you let one of the egg sac creatures grab you you get infected. You can cure it either by buying a cure from an egg creature in a secret room after Quelaag or from rare drops from the egg creatures themselves. Or you can keep letting it eat souls (it takes a lot of souls) and it'll mature, replacing your kick attack with a slow attack that pops a larva thing out of your head and bites enemies. I haven't found any other benefit other than the new kick attack (which is slower and worse than the kick attack and I don't believe it will infect other players). Also, even once it matures it keeps eating 1/2 of your souls or otherwise I might have kept mine.

Maybe there's some secret third form or something or some hidden benefit to it I'm not sure. As a servant of chaos I'd really like to just keep it but I can't justify losing half my souls :(

edit: Oh yeah, having it will also let you buy two unique pyromancy spells from the egg sac vendor.

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 12, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Elysiume posted:

Where is the hitbox for cutting off Gaping Dragon's tail? It seems to really be hit or miss.
I think but am not sure that if it spurts blood, the hit was on target.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

d3c0y2 posted:

I think I've completely ballsed my save up.

I'm stuck at the bottom bonfire in blight town, I'm still cursed (I have no idea where the female undead vendor was so I just soldiered on and killed the sewer boss gaping dragon

So im at the bottom with no purple moss left, 5 estus flasks because I cant kindle the bonfire whilst cursed, and theres no way in hell I can take Chaos Queen whilst poisoned.

Then to top it all off I killed patches because I hate that guy and accidently killed the pyro guy in the depths because I aoe smashed barrels and pissed him off

How hosed am I?

You should be able to make it up the waterwheel and out the shortcut to Firelink. Then you can heal your curse, stock up on moss, etc.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I found a firekeeper's soul, how important is this

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way

Alteisen posted:

Power up dat Estus, don't eat it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Extremely important, save it for when you get back to Firelink Shrine and talk to the firekeeper to upgrade your estus flask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Traxis posted:

You should be able to make it up the waterwheel and out the shortcut to Firelink. Then you can heal your curse, stock up on moss, etc.

Ive been up to the top of the water wheel and it only seems to be filled with toxic dudes who straight up murder me, where about is the short cut.

Also is the short cut one way? Secondly where in firelink can I get my curse cured, I have no idea where the "firelink adeqiduct" is, I thought it was that thing early with a poison rat in it, but that guy is male and doesn't sell a cure.

• Locked thread