Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

IRQ posted:

There were 2 or 3 omnibus reprints released relatively recently though, at least as of the last I knew.

Yeah, these would be the way to go if you're interested in reading the books now. As someone who procured them all before said re-releases it was a loving expensive pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Fat Lord Manderly lives in Russia

http://gizmodo.com/5847685/russian-guy-grinds-up-his-father+in+law-and-serves-him-for-lunch

waar
Sep 29, 2001
The Way Of Kings is pretty good!!

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

NoneSuch posted:

Steel Remains felt like it was trying to hard, it's probably one of the only fantasy books with a gay main character, so I appreciated that, but everything the character did had to be tied in to the fact he was gay. I'm not uncomfortable with that as I'm gay myself but when the character feels like the author has asked himself "what sort of problems might a gay person face? Let's pump it up 10x including rape and torture!" It ends up being more of a step back from a decent gay character.

The sequel to Steel Remains comes out next week. Everything Morgan writes has to include off-puttingly graphic sex stuff to provide a counterpoint to his off-puttingly graphic violence. I think he may be trying to make a point about how readily fantasy / sci-fi readers accept ultra violence while being squeamish about sex, but ymmv.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Drunkboxer posted:

Let me tell you something about Battle Chess. Battle Chess owned.

Battle Chess did own.

DirtyRobot posted:

Drunkboxer knows what's up.

Also, I just GIS'd Battle Chess, and realized that when I read these books back in grade 9 or whatever it was, I totally pictured Cersei as the queen on the box of Battle Chess that's zapping that dude, because we had Battle Chess on one of the school computers (or maybe I had it on my computer at home? gently caress, I dunno).

Let me tell you: I pictured her the exact same way.

I played a lot of Battle Chess. A lot.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
So hey guys, guess what the fat gently caress is doing besides not actually writing the next book?

We better make a new gangtag for Strange Streets.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
"Including a never-before-published story set in the world of Sookie Stackhouse!"

:stare:

:frog:

Absolute Fucker.

Well, what card deck would the fantasy version of a reimagined gritty superhero universe be?

That's right. We're the Trump Cards now.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 12, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Contra Calculus posted:

So hey guys, guess what the fat gently caress is doing besides not actually writing the next book?

We better make a new gangtag for Strange Streets.

I bet it's gonna be a fantastic anthology, though.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Azure_Horizon posted:

I bet it's gonna be a fantastic anthology, though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wow, he can't even be hosed to "edit" these things himself, he has to get some other person to "help" (do all the work)? What an absolute fucker.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

Simon Draskovic posted:

Make it a Strange Streets Christmas!

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
gently caress these strange streets, the best anthology is Creative Convention's NIGHT TRUCKS, brainchild of yours truly

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bigmcgaffney posted:

gently caress these strange streets, the best anthology is Creative Convention's NIGHT TRUCKS, brainchild of yours truly

actually, it would be the Kindle All Stars project that features Harlan Ellison, Alan Dean Foster, SA goons, and other writers.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It's too quiet in here, so I've come bearing the fruits of deviantART.

"Khaleesi" by *kenji-dude-guy - My god, what's wrong with your face? "Most beautiful woman in the world" indeed; for the first time ever Dany resembles the product of inbreeding she truly is.

"Jon Snow" by ~BodyTriangle - More like ~BodyRectangle.

"Eddard Stark" by ~Kagura-Satoam - Winter is not the only threat to Eddard Stark's life. Put down the fork, fatty!

"Mother of Dragons" by ~RoxannaMeta - :lol:

"Winter is Coming" by ~DreamCadet - Proving once again that artistic talent is not required in order to be a "Deviant."

"MLP Friendship is Coming" by ~Pspynett - SUP BRONIES.

":what:" by ~Aquasunami - Some lady on the Iron Throne. Jessica from True Blood, I guess.

"Sweet Sister" by ~Corbellot - The art sucks but Viserys' expression is kinda priceless.

"Brienne Portrait" by ~chibi-lilith - My favorite in the bunch.

What other amazing things have this fandom inspired?!

Edit: Hahahahah.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 13, 2011

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Edit EDIT: Okay, fine. BEHOLD, MY LITTLE NED STARK.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 13, 2011

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

my cat is norris posted:

Hahahahah.

:stare: Dear loving god... Thanks norris, now I won't be able to sleep tonight.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'd say that Winter is Coming is the best of the lot, actually. Very little skill but its lack of perspective is rather iconic where the others are just lame.

Except the Bronies. Those are abominations that must be cleansed with dragonfire.

except for Ned Stark. He has already paid the price:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh god, now you've done it, whowhatwhere. Prepare for massive influx of pedo-furries coming to whiteknight their pedo-furry show... that show is called HBO's A Game of Thrones.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

That True Blood crossover is actually a pretty good drawing. Though there's the possibility that it's just because I have no idea what that character is supposed to look like.

e: Well, it could have been much worse. She became a bit anorexic and went from true redhead to dyed redhead, and her hands are awful, but otherwise it's decent.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 13, 2011

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

NihilCredo posted:

That True Blood crossover is actually a pretty good drawing. Though there's the possibility that it's just because I have no idea what that character is supposed to look like.

e: Well, it could have been much worse. She became a bit anorexic and went from true redhead to dyed redhead, and her hands are awful, but otherwise it's decent.

Look, the only way you can make that drawing look better is if you find an even worse attempt. Then I can compare the two and say, you're right, Nihil, this isn't so bad compared to the turd you just smeared across some blue construction paper.

(No, you really are right, it's not the worst drawing...it's just the worst crossover.)

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 13, 2011

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Just finished this book, and I hated it. I don't think I will read any more of this series. Each book basically builds up all these characters only to have them come to the worst possible ends. They are basically snuff stories and Martin writes only to piss off his readers. By now the end of the series should be obvious to everyone... Ramsay Bolton is going to sit the iron throne and everyone else will die in the snow. It's the most depressing outcome I can think of which is basically the thought process he must use in his writing.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

But nothing really happened to any of the characters in this book? 99 percent chance jon is fine and will be fixed with magic or it was just a few flesh wounds, Stannis isn't dead, Theon survived, Dany is just crawling about in the desert making GBS threads blood with a magical dragon and Cersei is probably going to be put back in power somehow. Overall things came out pretty well for everyone.

Well... apart from the prince guy who nobody gives two shits about because he was only introduced in this book.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

my cat is norris posted:

It's too quiet in here, so I've come bearing the fruits of deviantART.

Welp, I guess I should try to poo poo out something ASoIaF at some point. All my stuff is just pictures of GRRM himself...

I don't know who did this one, but it's pretty awesome.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Welp, I guess I should try to poo poo out something ASoIaF at some point. All my stuff is just pictures of GRRM himself...

I don't know who did this one, but it's pretty awesome.

The perspective is terrible.

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Just finished this book, and I hated it. I don't think I will read any more of this series. Each book basically builds up all these characters only to have them come to the worst possible ends. They are basically snuff stories and Martin writes only to piss off his readers. By now the end of the series should be obvious to everyone... Ramsay Bolton is going to sit the iron throne and everyone else will die in the snow. It's the most depressing outcome I can think of which is basically the thought process he must use in his writing.

What? No, the big problem is that Gurm builds up all these characters only to do loving nothing with them. We've had two whole books where nothing of any consequence actually happens. Over 10 years of nothing happening.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Ayra did kill a dude several dudes.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I just feel like the series is getting into LOST territory where all these plot lines are set up but then don't go anywhere and the ultimate resolution is completely out of left field for the purpose of defying expectation/loving with the reader.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

IRQ posted:

The perspective is terrible.

What? It's totally fi

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What? It's totally fi

What exactly are you doing there? It looks cool but I don't really understand :downs: ... I'm guessing the plane is showing the perspective is off somehow?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, basically. The lanes don't exhibit any parallax, so instead of the room stretching into the distance it just seems to go up a hill to some very tiny pins. The lanes on the right not covered by the perspective grid should be even more angled towards 90 degrees than they are; as it stands, they're converging just off screen in some kind of trainyard round of bowling lanes. This may even be too shallow, since on second look it doesn't seem long enough to be bowling lanes.

An unintended side effect of the grid was realizing the backwall and the tiled floor they're standing on aren't parallel at all. The grid is flat against the back, but diverges madly where they're standing.

The concept is great, but the technical details are completely lacking. I still like the picture, though.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I really enjoyed my perspective drawing class. It's something I wish I could take again, along with multiple life drawing courses. Then I could draw the sexiest most in-perspective dickless Theons.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I completely missed the part where Theon said he was castrated. Completely missed it. OR blocked it out. Either or.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Dietrich posted:

I completely missed the part where Theon said he was castrated. Completely missed it. OR blocked it out. Either or.

I did too, I'm just trusting that it happened.

I caught the other stuff some people missed (Renly being gay, etc), but completely missed Theon being castrated it's a bit embarrassing.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

eggsovereasy posted:

I did too, I'm just trusting that it happened.

I caught the other stuff some people missed (Renly being gay, etc), but completely missed Theon being castrated it's a bit embarrassing.

They did something to his penis. For all I know its just a piercing.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
It's very very heavily implied he got his dick lopped during the part where he is forced to tongue Jeyne.

WINTER IS COMING
Oct 6, 2011
I thought the point of him eating Jeyne was to warm her up, no-one puts their dick in dry. That was the point, otherwise Ramsey would have just went straight for it, seems like a Ramsey thing to do.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

WINTER IS COMING posted:

I thought the point of him eating Jeyne was to warm her up, no-one puts their dick in dry. That was the point, otherwise Ramsey would have just went straight for it, seems like a Ramsey thing to do.

Not just the fact he's tonguing her, but things that are said. And a couple other places as well, things are said that very heavily imply it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Theon practically straight up says they cut off his junk at least twice. If you miss it you probably also missed that Jon Connington was gay for Rhaegar and his anime hair.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Ramsay says that he's "not even a man anymore", or something like that, about 12 times.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

IRQ posted:

Theon practically straight up says they cut off his junk at least twice. If you miss it you probably also missed that Jon Connington was gay for Rhaegar and his anime hair.

What about Dolorous Ed? I'm pretty sure that dude was gay. I mean they implied it pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Contra Calculus posted:

What about Dolorous Ed? I'm pretty sure that dude was gay. I mean they implied it pretty hard.

Dude is hardgay.