Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

skinny white boy posted:

Sorry I took a piss in your rear end in a top hat. Enjoy the game!

The things most of us like about the game are pretty clearly the things you dislike about the game, so maybe it's just a case of "this game isn't for you"?

I enjoy that this game is sparse on the dialogue while still telling a pretty epic story. You get the backdrop at the beginning, and you discover more and more about the history of the places and people as you go along - if you care to. If not, you can completely ignore that poo poo and just head off to the next awesome boss fight.

The demon bosses have some really rad designs and, for most of us, it feels really rewarding to put our own problem-solving and twitch-reflex skills to the test to figure out how to kill them.

The environments are giant labyrinths with loads to explore, and the normal enemies are what makes the exploration dangerous - for me, specifically, the game isn't really about those enemies, they are simply an obstacle on my way to the next cool demon and next new area to explore.

There are tons of cool armors to find, weapons to try out, spells play with and weird gimmicky stuff to create just for the sake of "haha that was awesome".

I personally think the combat system is one of the most inventive and fun systems in any action-RPG I've ever played, and I wish more games had something similar.

I will agree with you that the online portion is a bit wonky, but PVP has never been something I was interested in anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all.

This is a game where you are thrown into a large world rife with undead to slaughter and huge, badass demons to slay. That's it, that's the whole premise; no muss, no fuss. Either you enjoy the challenging combat system and you get a thrill out of finally killing the gigantic monster that's beaten you to a pulp half a dozen times, or you don't.

If you can't find any redeeming value in this game on your own, or any basis on which to enjoy it without turning to us to convince you why we are having a great time with it, all I can do is repeat what I said earlier - maybe this is not the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

keyframe posted:

Wait what hat? You mean the stone that did the transformation?

Yes.

That hat. Stone. Stonehat. It's a stone that makes a hat. Press x while having it equipped on the down dpad slot.

e: After you use it to transform the first time.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

http://www.twitch.tv/moruid
Doing a speed run at the moment, his first course of action was to dive into the Catacombs and join nito faction for his sword, haha.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

To be fair, one area in the game is pretty much exactly what he described because the boss, area and enemies are such pieces of poor design. However, it's extremely late game before you really need to go there, so... yeah.

Lost Izalith is seriously like some kind of hellish parody of the difficulty, where it goes from "fair" to loving stupid. Pretty much every single post-Lordvessel dungeon is much worse than their earlier counterparts, it's amazing.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Man, Blighttown can be a pain in the rear end when you navigate so carefully, the small pieces of wood on a small crossing actually block you, so you have to go faster.

Thanks for the advice on the elemental weapons. decided to make a fiery winged spear, and it's so unfair. That is until i decided to go further into Demon ruins with a weapon that does 50 damage there. Jesus, it's like soloing an MMO instance.

I'm level 67, i'm using all stone armor plus greatshield, and i'm still slightly scared about Sen's Fortress and the next couple of areas.

I definitely should've put all points into VIT, instead of hoping to find a STR weapon.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice

Meme Emulator posted:

Doing a speed run at the moment, his first course of action was to dive into the Catacombs and join nito faction for his sword, haha.

Awwww, he died. Baller he gets that sword the first thing though, the gargoyles died in like 4 hits.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

keyframe posted:

Dragon covenant question: how do I breathe fire? I have a dragon head now

High five Dragon Covenant brother! Let's hope we didn't make a huge mistake joining a covenant that requires us to de-equip armor! :hfive:

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Meme Emulator posted:

Wait, wait, wait.

You can slide down ladders?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Demitri Omni posted:

Wait, wait, wait.

You can slide down ladders?

Yeah, I just found out today. Gotta hit B once.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yeah, I just found out today. Gotta hit B once.

My life has been a lie up until this point.

Also, I suppose that would be Circle for me, unless the layout is dumb between platforms?

Zmanl0p6
Apr 7, 2007

i am gun drive a trane up u
Hey, someone please tell me where the bonfire is in Tomb of the Giants right before Nito's boss door. The guide says there's one around but I cannot find it for the life of me and more than that the map shows one being in the boss chamber itself (which is impossible). I already have 45k souls laying on the floor of that place because I couldn't find one. So yeah, if you know, please tell.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Demitri Omni posted:

Also, I suppose that would be Circle for me, unless the layout is dumb between platforms?
It's circle. Discovered it on my way down the bell tower. :smug:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Meme Emulator posted:

This is more like a "moron run". He died like 3 times in undead burg to the low level zombies in a row because he was running at them and not hitting/blocking. Maybe speed run means something else over there.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

keyframe posted:

This is more like a "moron run". He died like 3 times in undead burg to the low level zombies in a row because he was running at them and not hitting/blocking. Maybe speed run means something else over there.

I think hes trying different paths and poo poo, hes already beaten the game in 5 hours

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Zmanl0p6 posted:

Hey, someone please tell me where the bonfire is in Tomb of the Giants right before Nito's boss door. The guide says there's one around but I cannot find it for the life of me and more than that the map shows one being in the boss chamber itself (which is impossible). I already have 45k souls laying on the floor of that place because I couldn't find one. So yeah, if you know, please tell.

There is another bonfire before the boss area, sadly i'm not too good with descriptions or directions. All I can say is that it's near that cavey/plateau like area that has both a giant skeleton with a sword and one of those ape skeletons on all fours, it's down a little path on the side around there. Sorry for the vagueness.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Demitri Omni posted:

One time I slid down a ladder in Blighttown and landed on a dude who was standing at the base and did 8 damage to him and knocked him on his rear end.

It felt like I'd won the game.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

where do I go to enter Duke's archive?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Fargin Icehole posted:

Man, Blighttown can be a pain in the rear end when you navigate so carefully, the small pieces of wood on a small crossing actually block you, so you have to go faster.

Thanks for the advice on the elemental weapons. decided to make a fiery winged spear, and it's so unfair. That is until i decided to go further into Demon ruins with a weapon that does 50 damage there. Jesus, it's like soloing an MMO instance.

I'm level 67, i'm using all stone armor plus greatshield, and i'm still slightly scared about Sen's Fortress and the next couple of areas.

I definitely should've put all points into VIT, instead of hoping to find a STR weapon.

Youre a higher level than me and Ive entered the endgame lordvessel portion, I think youll be fine

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

skinny white boy posted:

Sorry I took a piss in your rear end in a top hat. Enjoy the game!

You're upset because you now know that, no matter which game you complete on what difficulty setting, it will mean nothing, because you were beaten by Dark Souls.

If there was room for humour in Dark Souls, it would have been amazing to have one of the perennial trapped souls who tend to be shopkeepers be some angry kid who wants his pat-on-the-back games back, but he can't get out of the Undead Asylum to go play them and has been stuck there for a thousand years.

"Did...did you bring me...is that...Call of Duty 48? Oh thank you! Thank you! Give it to me! What do you mean you don't have it?! It was just there in your hand! You fool, you lost it!"

EDIT: I bloody love the dialogue in this game. The shopkeepers are mental, especially the undead guy in the Burg. I love the jaded, judgemental guy in Sen's Fortress aswell.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 13, 2011

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Gazmachine posted:

I bloody love the dialogue in this game. The shopkeepers are mental, especially the undead guy in the Burg. I love the jaded, judgemental guy in Sen's Fortress aswell.

Quite a pickle. Quite a pickle indeed. Hmmm.... hmmmm.
all of siegmeyer's dialogue is hilarious because he's in such terrible situations and he doesn't give a gently caress

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Gazmachine posted:

If there was room for humour in Dark Souls, it would have been amazing to have one of the perennial trapped souls who tend to be shopkeepers be some angry kid who wants his pat-on-the-back games back, but he can't get out of the Undead Asylum to go play them and has been stuck there for a thousand years.

I like that Dark Souls doesn't do that sort of thing. It doesn't need to trumpet what it is, I think at this point we all know it's an experience that few other games made today can deliver and not everyone is going to get the good experience from it because it's quite unrepentant with its faults and the things it doesn't tell you that you have to figure out through trial and error.

Thinking about it though, are there any references in Dark Souls to anything outside of FROM Software games? Aside from the Umineko one anyway.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Finally loving killed Ornstein and Smough all on my own, what a rough fight. So far, the biggest thing Im noticing from Demons Souls is that rolling is almost entirely pointless. With the way bosses 'track' the player rolling seems to result in getting nailed more often than not. I think it takes a bit of the strategy and skill out of boss fights, but whatever the game still owns.

Where should I head next if I wanna try out this Darkwraith Covenant?

Also, gently caress getting Ornstein's soul. He's such an insufferable gently caress in phase 2.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone know if I need to kill the giant spikey vagina monster to get to Sen's fortress? Or am I lost?

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
You can avoid just about anything with rolling; time your rolls closer to when the attack hits, not when the enemy is winding up.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

rizuhbull posted:

Anyone know if I need to kill the giant spikey vagina monster to get to Sen's fortress? Or am I lost?

I'm assuming you mean Gaping Dragon. Yes, you need to kill him in order to (eventually) get to Sen's Fortress.

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!

Schwack posted:

Finally loving killed Ornstein and Smough all on my own, what a rough fight. So far, the biggest thing Im noticing from Demons Souls is that rolling is almost entirely pointless. With the way bosses 'track' the player rolling seems to result in getting nailed more often than not. I think it takes a bit of the strategy and skill out of boss fights, but whatever the game still owns.

Rolling isn't about just rolling, it's about timing it. There's a point in every creatures attack animation when the direction of the attack is no longer changeable. THAT is when you roll.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm assuming you mean Gaping Dragon. Yes, you need to kill him in order to (eventually) get to Sen's Fortress.
God dammit.

Is that the way to ring the second bell? I haven't rang the second one yet and I'm level 51. Should I already have a weapon that's greater than 5+? Because the gaping dragon always kicks my rear end. I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. I hate how cryptic Demon's and Dark Souls can be.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

thoraxfetish.com posted:

You can avoid just about anything with rolling; time your rolls closer to when the attack hits, not when the enemy is winding up.

I just dont recall DeS monsters piviting so much the way these guys do. Once they're feet were set it seemed like that was the cue to move. Everything in DaS will glide around with both feet set to redirect.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011
Doing Havel seems a tad harder when you can't block *anything* due to stam drain and are level 10. Also he seems to snap around 360 degrees at the most inopportune times. Ah well a few more deaths and I'll have upgraded my Havel killing timing.

He was so easy at ~35 SL. :smith:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

rizuhbull posted:

God dammit.

Is that the way to ring the second bell? I haven't rang the second one yet and I'm level 51. Should I already have a weapon that's greater than 5+? I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. I hate how cryptic Demon's and Dark Souls can be.

Yeah, that's how you ring the second bell. Killing Gaping Dragon gives the key to Blighttown, which contains the second bell at the end. Ringing the second bell opens up Sen's Fortress.

You're pretty overleveled for that point, actually. I beat Gaping dragon using a Scimitar+4, but it took a while. Dude just has a LOT of health. The vender in the Depths (near the stairway leading to the boss fight) sells Gold Pine Resin for 1000 souls each. These make your weapon deal extra lightning damage, which the Gaping Dragon is weak to. These'll help make things go faster. Otherwise just keep your distance from the dragon and you should be okay, only move in to attack after he belly flops or charges.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

rizuhbull posted:

God dammit.

Is that the way to ring the second bell? I haven't rang the second one yet and I'm level 51. Should I already have a weapon that's greater than 5+? Because the gaping dragon always kicks my rear end. I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. I hate how cryptic Demon's and Dark Souls can be.

At level 51 you shouldn't be having much trouble with Gaping Dragon. If you have the master key there is a way to avoid The Depths entirely, but Gaping Dragon shouldn't be that much trouble.

What are you using for gear, and what's your stat distribution?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Sry, double post.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 13, 2011

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

At level 51 you shouldn't be having much trouble with Gaping Dragon. If you have the master key there is a way to avoid The Depths entirely, but Gaping Dragon shouldn't be that much trouble.

What are you using for gear, and what's your stat distribution?
My stats are...
21 vit
10 att
17 end
32 str
18 dex
14 res
9 int
11 fth

I'm using a 5+ Claymore, +2 Black Knight Greatsword, 3+ elite knight helm, 5+ elite knight armor, 3+ leather gloves, and 3+ elite knight leggings.

defult
Oct 19, 2007
No idea if any one has posted this in the last 10 pages or so (thread moves so quick, by the time ive caught up theres more pages) but ive found a fairly 'easy' and relatively quick way to farm humanity post Anor Londo.

The baby skeltons just before Nito in Tomb of the Giants. If you have the crystal ring shield its easy to get there (I struggled when i went through properly when i had no magic or ranged bar bow, the parry of that shield with a good weapon 1 hits everything there). Bring some blooming purple moss in case you get toxic and the gold serpent ring plus a spear or a low sweeping blade worked best for me. Also a ring of the evil eye for any healing.

Drop in to the water to spawn them, run to ramp, kill, repeat. They drop humanity items rarely, but they respawn so quick it makes that a joke. In an hour ive got 28 humanity used and another 20 in my bag. One thing is you have to pick the drop up quick or it disapears/glitches(?) as they respawn. But if you keep poping the items to push item discovery up more & more, it makes the losses trivial. Plus a nice but low soul compared to forest farming amount as you go.

lvl 3 darkwraith and chaos covenent with out the hard work :D

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

rizuhbull posted:

My stats are...
21 vit
10 att
17 end
32 str
18 dex
14 res
9 int
11 fth

I'm using a 5+ Claymore, +2 Black Knight Greatsword, 3+ elite knight helm, 5+ elite knight armor, 3+ leather gloves, and 3+ elite knight leggings.

Yeah, you should be set, though I found my +1 Black Knight Sword seemed to not do a huge amount of damage to it so try lacing your claymore with some lightning buff resin that you should be able to get from the NPC near the big locked doors not far from the boss room. If you can stand farming for some humanity to get in person form and actively rescued Lautrec you should be able to summon two white phantom NPCs who can tank its attention for you too. Solaria's just above the stairs before you go down to the fog door, Lautrec is past it and hidden behind that wall pillar.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah, you should be set, though I found my +1 Black Knight Sword seemed to not do a huge amount of damage to it so try lacing your claymore with some lightning buff resin that you should be able to get from the NPC near the big locked doors not far from the boss room. If you can stand farming for some humanity to get in person form and actively rescued Lautrec you should be able to summon two white phantom NPCs who can tank its attention for you too. Solaria's just above the stairs before you go down to the fog door, Lautrec is past it and hidden behind that wall pillar.
I feel like we're playing completely different games. The only person in the Depths I've found is a seller with crystal weapons and some armor pieces, but he doesn't sell any resin. Nor can I find Lautrec to free or the master key.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Wow, the Dukes Archive is just the game trying to be a huge dick. This place is more annoying than Sen's Fortress.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I just got to the bottom of The Great Hollow, and this is some Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind poo poo. I was expecting an Ohmu to come swimming up out of the water.

This game has some beautiful things in it for such a dark world.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

rizuhbull posted:

My stats are...
21 vit
10 att
17 end
32 str
18 dex
14 res
9 int
11 fth

how the hell are you having trouble with the gaping dragon
it is one of the easiest bosses in the game and you are an absolute monster for the time you fight it
seriously you're supposed to fight it in the 20s

Are you trying to attack its face? Don't do that. Stick to its tail and back haunches when you chop the tail off.

I've said this a bunch of times already but I'll say it again.
If you are having trouble with a boss, hit it in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

rizuhbull posted:

I feel like we're playing completely different games. The only person in the Depths I've found is a seller with crystal weapons and some armor pieces, but he doesn't sell any resin. Nor can I find Lautrec to free or the master key.

That individual is the one who has the Pine Bark Resin, which is the lightning buff item. You should still be able to do this even with only one NPC helping catch the aggro.

• Locked thread