Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Grayham posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's restoring saved application states in that time.

But there are no applications starting other than those three? I'm on an SSD as well, so it should be pretty drat fast if that was the case anyway :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cadoc
Mar 5, 2007
I have two questions and while writing them I can already hear the monkeys scream and feces being prepared for throwing:

First:
Does anyone know the URL Format for url authentication and specific ics files hosted on icloud, since apple was so kind and posted "p01-caldav.icloud.com" as the caldav url? Why do I want this? Because I want to import my mobileme/icloud calender into google calender but with read and write permissions.

Second:
Why has Keychain syncing been canceled (Mail Account and Mail Rule seems understandable from a marketing point of view)? And are there any alternatives? And do not come at me with "Just import all your mail into your me adress."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

Sorry, but iChat owns. My boss was all like "ugh iChat" and then admitted he last used it in like Jaguar or Tiger. Now it's all he uses, because it plugs into most chat services (or at least the ones normal people use).

This is why I love it. It does nothing more or less than what I need it to, but it works really well. At least until AOL switched up its login thing. At any rate, I'm always super wary of installing third party software that replaces a stock system app unless it will provide a clear improvement in my day to day usage, and since I just use AIM and Gtalk then iChat does everything I want or need it to :)

The slogin thing worked, thanks! I'll still file a bug but I fully expect Apple to be inundated with them if this is affecting everyone. Not a big deal though, my bug can sit in the bug tracker with all 10 or so of my other bugs that are still open from 2003+

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I did all the software updates yesterday and my MBAir ran just fine. Today it won't open Safari and iTunes anymore and it doesn't even detect the Wi-fi connection I'm using for all my machines at home. I am typing this on one computer that is connected via WLAN, while my Air sits next to me and tells me there is no Wi-fi connection available.

I have no idea what's going on.

edit: Ok, I removed all the preferred networks from the list (in advanced options) and restarted the router. My IMac detects the network instantly. The Air shows me all wi-fi networks in the area (about 10) including my own network...and then the network (I am happily using on the other computer) just disappears from the list on my Air and I can't evem select it. What in the world?

Has anyone here experienced something similar? I mean I could make sense of not finding any network at all...but finding every single network in this house except for my own?

edit2: And now it suddenly works. Everything suddenly works again. I put the Air to sleep for the n-th time...and upon waking up it connects to the wi-fi network and Safari/iTunes work again. I swear, computers are the loving end of me...

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 13, 2011

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Updating my iPhone to 5 deleted all of my contacts. Any chance I can find them again? Nothing is on iCloud, apparently :argh:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Stoat posted:

Updating my iPhone to 5 deleted all of my contacts. Any chance I can find them again? Nothing is on iCloud, apparently :argh:

I ran into this too. Once I added a new contact and synced my phone, they all came back

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
If I'm understanding the functionality correctly, I'm pretty sure the new "Find my Mac" feature is useless for Lion desktops using FileVault. Since the machine needs to be powered on and connected to a network to locate it, the OS needs to have been booted. If FileVault is enabled, the OS will never boot without first entering the password.

I guess Apple figures it's no big deal if your computer is stolen and the entire contents are encrypted. At least with a laptop you can locate it while it's sleeping on battery, but you still run into the issue of it needing to be connected to a network.

The "Find My" function still makes the most sense for iPhones and iPads, and computers without FileVault enabled.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

it plugs into most chat services
Lion iChat added Yahoo!, right? I just wish it got MSN support, since I still know like 2 people that use it.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Lion iChat added Yahoo!, right? I just wish it got MSN support, since I still know like 2 people that use it.

If those two people aren't asian, I'd sever. MSN in 2011? Really?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

timb posted:

I think there's a lot of people in the UK that still use it for whatever reason

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Accipiter posted:

If I'm understanding the functionality correctly, I'm pretty sure the new "Find my Mac" feature is useless for Lion desktops using FileVault.

Does creating a limited guest account not get around this?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Can someone do `ls /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/ > ~/Desktop/output.txt` on Lion in Terminal and post output.txt that is on the Desktop to a pastebin like site? I'm making something for work and I don't have access to a Lion machine and I would very much appreciate it.

I would prefer the command be done on an out of the box Lion install but if that's not possible, anything is appreciated.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That directory is empty in my 10.7.2 system. Not RIGHT out of the box, but I did a fresh install middle of last week.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My PIN is 4826 posted:

But there are no applications starting other than those three? I'm on an SSD as well, so it should be pretty drat fast if that was the case anyway :confused:
Check Console.app, see if anything is taking a lot of time to start up or whatever.

Cadoc posted:

Second:
Why has Keychain syncing been canceled (Mail Account and Mail Rule seems understandable from a marketing point of view)? And are there any alternatives? And do not come at me with "Just import all your mail into your me adress."
It's hardly ideal but you could potentially move your login.keychain into Dropbox and create a symlink from the Keychains folder on each machine you want to keep synced.

Captain Charisma posted:

I think there's a lot of people in the UK that still use it for whatever reason
Yea, in England I don't think a lot of people even know what AIM is. MSN is the primary IM tool. I seem to recall that Brazil almost exclusively uses ICQ.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Martytoof posted:

That directory is empty in my 10.7.2 system. Not RIGHT out of the box, but I did a fresh install middle of last week.

This is very useful. I decided to bundle the PPD from Snow Leopard with what I'm writing and having that copied to that folder.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Twice I've received a PDF with fill-in-the-blanks, opened it in Preview, filled in the blanks, emailed it, and then was told by the recipient that the PDF was blank. Puzzlingly, when I open the PDF on my computer, the blanks are still filled in.

I'm using Preview. I don't know if the recipients were on OS X or Windows.

How do I fix this?

EDIT: Also, before Lion I liked being able to go into Spaces and then activate Expose, it showed every open window in every open space. I cannot figure out a way to do a similar action in Lion. Can it be done?

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 13, 2011

mwarkentin
Oct 26, 2004

Accipiter posted:

If I'm understanding the functionality correctly, I'm pretty sure the new "Find my Mac" feature is useless for Lion desktops using FileVault. Since the machine needs to be powered on and connected to a network to locate it, the OS needs to have been booted. If FileVault is enabled, the OS will never boot without first entering the password.

I just created a guest account with a password of test1234, and a password hint of test1234 - I was thinking about using "password", but then the hint "password" might not help.

TANSTAAFL
Feb 10, 2006
fubar
I'm starting to wish I didn't update to ios5.. First of all it deleted all of my directory structure, so instead of like 4 pages neatly organised into folders all my apps are just scattered on like 11 pages and there doesn't seem to be a way to get the phone to remember my old settings without spending hours reorganizing them.. Worst of all this new notification centre thing is horrible. It opens all the time when I don't want it too, I cant even adjust the place in a video because it thinks me swiping left or right is me pulling the drat menu down..
I've removed every app from notification centre and its empty now but still shows up. is there really no way to turn it off?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

quote:

Oct 13 19:24:57 localghost sshd[1144]: error: ssh_msg_send: write

What does this mean and why does it (seemingly) randomly make ssh refuse connections for about a minute or so?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

timb posted:

Nearly every Australian uses MSN/Windows Live Messenger. That's why I stick with Adium.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

The 10.7.2 update broke OS X running under ESXi 5. I found this out when my co-worker updated the VM that manages all C-level and VP-level users' iOS devices, which that froze at boot after being updated.

We had to image it off the VM and onto a Mac Mini Server to get it running again.

:ughh:

TOMSOVERBAGHDAD
Dec 26, 2004

Switzerland is small and neutral!

NeuralSpark posted:

The 10.7.2 update broke OS X running under ESXi 5. I found this out when my co-worker updated the VM that manages all C-level and VP-level users' iOS devices, which that froze at boot after being updated.

We had to image it off the VM and onto a Mac Mini Server to get it running again.

This isn't supported!

edit: drat you you know better

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

- Updated my iPod Touch to iOS 5
- Listened to music on my way to work
- Signed-up for iCloud
- Went to listen to music on the way home and discovered that my iPod's entire music library had been deleted.

Thanks Apple!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

NeuralSpark posted:

Snapshots?

--

e: Might as well ask in this thread...it's a long shot but does iPhoto '11 support wireless syncing or do I still have to connect up to transfer photos? (taken before photo stream)

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 14, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I'm trying to get off skype because every update seems to make the interface more clunky than the last.

Is there voice interoperability between iChat and GTalk? I only need voice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LittleSnitch just caught this:

I gather ubd is an iCloud service. Any idea why it would be accessing windows.net?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Martytoof posted:

It did work. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to make sure it's not a problem on AOL's servers but I'll file a report tomorrow afternoon.
I complained to a friend at Apple, and then a few hours later he said it should be fine now... works for me now, at least.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Martytoof posted:

LittleSnitch just caught this:

I gather ubd is an iCloud service. Any idea why it would be accessing windows.net?

iCloud runs on Azure.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~Coxy posted:

iCloud runs on Azure.

That would explain it, thanks :)

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Snapshots?

I would have snapshotted it yes.

It also broke under Fusion as well, but they have patched that already.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 14, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Alright, here's a question.

I have an AppleID which contains all my App Store / iTunes purchase history as well as my general Apple account information. I've got a MobileMe account which I've had for a couple years and used for syncing/findmy and just migrated to iCloud.

Why are these two separate things? Why can't I combine them or at least associate an existing AppleID with my iCloud account?

I thought the same way, but really, what would be the benefit of associating them? In some cases the separation would be more of a convenience (e.g. a shared iTunes account).

Also, if anyone else is having trouble syncing photos after updating iPhoto through the App Store, trying logging out.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 14, 2011

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yup, and in addition to that Apple actually added an official plugin architecture for iChat in Lion. Which means an enterprising developer should just take 10 minutes to knock up an MSN plugin. I've been praying. I wish I never stopped coding :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TACD posted:

It's hardly ideal but you could potentially move your login.keychain into Dropbox and create a symlink from the Keychains folder on each machine you want to keep synced.
Any clue if the keychain file handle it alright? I have no clue if it's designed to work with multiple systems simultaneously so I'd be paranoid about it getting corrupt somehow.

As for iCloud, who knows some crap could come back.

amf5 posted:

What does this mean and why does it (seemingly) randomly make ssh refuse connections for about a minute or so?
Is localghost your username? Otherwise uh I have no clue, using Localghost before by any chance?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I've got a wireless router/modem installed by my internet provider, and it's got a USB port on it. This seems like a great answer to my looking for a way to enable Time Machine via network. I started testing around with a random USB-stick (FAT32) and was able to simply navigate to it in Windows Explorer (on Windows 7) by inputting the local network address of the modem (the standard 192.168.0.1) and access the files thereon.

However, I can't find a way to get to the device with MacOSX (10.6 and 10.7). When I try the "go to folder"-option in Finder, it throws up that the folder cannot be found, and "connect to server" doesn't work either. Since it works on Win7, I'm guessing it's a software issue (me having some settings wrong, for instance), but I've no clue how to fix this. Anyone have an idea?

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!
Anyone have any issues with getting the confirmation email for iCloud? I've had it resent about 10 times now and still nothing.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Stoat posted:

They should be stored on your SIM. Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->Import SIM Contacts will get them back.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I just noticed that you can now view diagnostic info in Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage. Neat.

Also, am I missing something with regards to iCloud document syncing? I created a test file in Numbers on my iPhone, then tried looking in the iWork section on iCloud.com, but it only gives me the "get Numbers for iOS!" splash screen.

e: Second time is the charm, apparently. It's working now.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 14, 2011

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there any point to using iCloud if I don't have an iPhone, iPad or an iPod Touch (I have a Nano)? Also is my Apple ID the same as my iTunes account? :confused:

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It can serve as a free off-site backup for your most important data. Yes, your Apple ID is exactly the same as your iTunes account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any point to using iCloud if I don't have an iPhone, iPad or an iPod Touch (I have a Nano)?

Probably not much of one right now, but once support for it is added to Mac apps then it'll be handy.