Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The whole exchange in front of the chalkboard in the previous chapter was hilarious. Rivalle kinda logically putting him down and telling him to deal with it while simultaneously making fun of / being disgusted by him had me cracking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Science woman is the greatest.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Sindai posted:

Science woman is the greatest.

Agreed.

Also... So Incredibly Hot! :v:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Is that a woman? Im pretty sure other characters used "he". I dont know what to think with manga art at times. :stare:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I...always thought it was a woman but now that you mention it...

No, they quite clearly refer to it as a "Her" in this particular translation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"Advance of Giants" has now been licensed. The official English title apparently is "Attack on Titan". I think I'd prefer "Attack on Titans", Advance of the Titans/Giants" or the other one Crunchyroll called it, "Giant's March", but whatever.

Still good news, gonna buy the poo poo out of the volumes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What is "Attack on Titan" even supposed to mean? Anyways, odd name aside, that's pretty great news, I'll definitely pick it up.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

"Advance of Giants" has now been licensed. The official English title apparently is "Attack on Titan". I think I'd prefer "Attack on Titans", Advance of the Titans/Giants" or the other one Crunchyroll called it, "Giant's March", but whatever.

Still good news, gonna buy the poo poo out of the volumes.

That's a silly name, and sounds incredibly, unbelievably, more Engrishy than "Advance of the Titans". Even "March of the Titans" would be better. "Attack on Titan" reminds me of one of those bargain-bin sci-fi pulp novels with the garish covers with red and orange block letters for the fonts.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Hahaha, what the gently caress? That's so silly. At least call it Attack of the Titans, even though that sounds just as pulpy.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
They should have just went with "March of the Giants." Using Titan instead of Giant just doesn't feel right.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

DrSunshine posted:

That's a silly name, and sounds incredibly, unbelievably, more Engrishy than "Advance of the Titans".

well,

it's always been the english title

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

LordMune posted:

well,

it's always been the english title

Huh! I had never noticed that! Wow... I guess one can't argue with the Author. Still, I can't help but think of something like this:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Titan is the planet, the titans are actually the planets antibodies/defense mechanism, the humans are the parasitic foreign beings that they are trying to remove. It us, we are the attackers :shepface:.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
"Man-eating Titans from outer space"
"Titanapocalipse!"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Titan is the planet, the titans are actually the planets antibodies/defense mechanism, the humans are the parasitic foreign beings that they are trying to remove. It us, we are the attackers :shepface:.

poo poo dude don't spoil the ending!

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

:aaaaa:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Just saw this and read to the current chapter based on Zorak's summary. What a fantastic premise, what a tense and addictive series. I hope, as other readers do, that the author never ruins the mystery and explains where they come from. The disturbing, alien nature of the titans is what propels the story. The hidden aristocracy of the inner circles of the city may be another enemy as well, and possibly even the source of the giants.

As others have said, the character design is generic and the art on the humans is often sloppy, but the artist compensates for his lack of anatomical art skills when portraying the giants, who are intended to be deformed and misshapen atrocities. I haven't seen such utterly horrific creatures in years; the parade of monstrosities in Shingeki might even top Berserk in horror factor..

I also wonder why the humans don't use tripwires more often? It's been established that the titans are generally a bunch of moronic brutes that run into danger without care, so it's easy to imagine them running into wires and the attack squads hacking up their necks after they've fallen face-down. Am I missing something or is this an even better way of killing giants than theoretical super-powered cannons?

Mura
Feb 3, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If I remember right, this was the actual revelation in Blue Gender

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Mura posted:

If I remember right, this was the actual revelation in Blue Gender

Don't remind me of that show, please.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Soulcleaver posted:

Just saw this and read to the current chapter based on Zorak's summary. What a fantastic premise, what a tense and addictive series. I hope, as other readers do, that the author never ruins the mystery and explains where they come from. The disturbing, alien nature of the titans is what propels the story. The hidden aristocracy of the inner circles of the city may be another enemy as well, and possibly even the source of the giants.

They totally are going to explain it. They've uncovered multiple hints and as cool as it would be NOT to explain it, it would also be a huge cop-out after they've discovered so much about them. The "they shouldn't even be able to move with the mass they're supposed to have at their size" thing is a good example of something that will have to be explained.

I think at this point it'll probably wind up being that Titans were an experiment in creating either A: biological warriors or B: efficient, easy-to-dispose-of(in the sense that the Titan bodies evaporate) workers, and over time it was found that the process erodes the mind of the controlling human, and the Titan body itself takes control albeit primitively, absorbing the human in the neck-cockpit-thing and putting them into a dream-like state. Then they ran rampant. I wager that's how The Walls were able to be constructed, using Titan labor.

This is just using information we currently have though, there could be more reveals that throw this into question.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 25, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You don't need to tag stuff from many chapters ago, or speculation.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
New chapter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Elysiume posted:

New chapter.

God DAMNIT!! :negative:

Every time we have a victory, we move forward a little, they get set back again! Ow, this is so depressing and painful to read!! Haha.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
This chapter reads like this thread. :psyduck:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A :negative:, being eaten by a hundred lesser :negative:s

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Given their reaction I think it might turn out they quickly cut the human out or something.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh god loving dammit

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Gotta love a manga where characters are actually intelligent in their conclusions yessss

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zorak posted:

Gotta love a manga where characters are actually intelligent in their conclusions yessss

True that. Its refreshing to read a manga where you dont feel like screaming at the characters to realize the obvious.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've never been so on edge during a conversation. Dammit this manga is awesome.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Cbouncerrun posted:

Given their reaction I think it might turn out they quickly cut the human out or something.
Note the last shot shows the ribcage of the female giant. There's nothing left to cut out anymore. Show's over.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
It's not a total loss if you ask me.

They pretty have confirmation that a human was in there, given it's defense of the neck, which is a huge revelation. They also know it was a mole, and can begin investigating that.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Don't forget the fact that armored skin might be something you can learn to do when you're a Titan. Eren might benefit from that, considering whoever the enemy is, they can attack as humans or as Titans

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Eren's gonna need to pick up that skill because compared to the other intelligent titans he's pretty weak.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I really, really like this manga. This chapter had absolutely nothing I was expecting it to, and we're left with another harsh blow to hope. This is not going to be as simple as going to Eren's house and finding a key to everything. We may never even get that far.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

New chapter!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 11, 2011

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

DrSunshine posted:

Two new chapters!

This manga continues to impress.

I thought things were kind of hopeless after 27, but now it's even worse, unless Eren does something awesome! I don't see how they can possibly subdue the female titan fully. Even if Eren punches the poo poo out of her she can presumably just pop out and run away.

Kusaru fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 11, 2011

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

New chapter!

Haha drat

I'm still a little bit confused about this. How they hell did she escape under the cover of smoke if the other titans were eating her?

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

Frome posted:

Haha drat

I'm still a little bit confused about this. How they hell did she escape under the cover of smoke if the other titans were eating her?

Presumably they didn't go straight for the nape of the neck. While they frenzied over the easy to reach parts she slipped out unnoticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gah, she's horrifyingly smart and dangerous. Wrap it up, humanitailures. You had a good run. :stonk: