Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The best part: "Darius Rucker is a black man. YOU know that, Bomani."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
My favourite is:
"PAUL I'M AS SOUTHERN AS YOU ARE"
"Yeah right..."

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Crion posted:

I don't really know if this counts as sports journalism because I don't give anyone a blowjob for playing the right way, but:

http://www.mrdestructo.com/2011/10/seven-games-in-september-part-i.html

The thing I posted in that thread that one time last week has been cleaned up, fact-checked, de-adverbed and generally made a lot more readable, and I will now stop posting about it forever.
I think this makes it count: http://deadspin.com/5847736/read-this-ode-to-baltimores-valiant-last-stand-and-bostons-unexpected-collapse

:golfclap:

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

FairGame posted:

The best part: "Darius Rucker is a black man. YOU know that, Bomani."

"...and I am sick of people everywhere, be they in Charlotte [North Carolina] [The South] or anywhere, making fun of people down here."

this segment is a masterpiece

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Crion posted:

I don't really know if this counts as sports journalism because I don't give anyone a blowjob for playing the right way, but:

The thing I posted in that thread that one time last week has been cleaned up, fact-checked, de-adverbed and generally made a lot more readable, and I will now stop posting about it forever.

I enjoyed that, it was a good read (even though I can't stand Baltimore). Good job!

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I thought this was hilarious until I listened to the clip. That's about the appropriate reaction.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Crion posted:

And now, an even better read. Great job.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I think we have the Philly version of the 2011 Red Sox are the 1927 Yankees

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/michael_rosenberg/12/20/philly/index.html

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Vertical Lime posted:

I think we have the Philly version of the 2011 Red Sox are the 1927 Yankees

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/michael_rosenberg/12/20/philly/index.html

That column was written the same week the Phillies signed Cliff Lee last year, when the Eagles and Flyers were both in 1st place and the Sixers were pushing for a playoff spot.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Joel Sherman thinks the Yankees should sign Carlos Beltran. The Yankees do not have holes at any of the positions he can play. Let's see how this would work.

quote:

Here is a question: Can the Yankees have Beltran and Swisher? Forget about the finances for a moment. Simply, could manager Joe Girardi find the at-bats for everyone?

It would be difficult. But remember that the Yankees want to turn their DH slot into more of a group effort. Even without Beltran, the Yankees probably envision a 2012 campaign in which Montero DHs about 80 games and catches 80 games, as an apprentice season to see if he can do that because Russell Martin can be a free agent after next season.

In the other 80 or so games, the DH slot would be divvied up by mostly the Yankees’ older players, such as Alex Rodriguez.
Beltran has said he does not want to DH. But could the Yankees sell him on 50-60 games at DH in 2012 and 80-90 as a corner outfielder? That still leaves 100 DH games to divvy up elsewhere. Then could Girardi divvy up the corner outfield play among Beltran, Swisher and Brett Gardner?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Whoever the editor of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports section is needs to get kicked in the junk repeatedly.

In Game 4 of the NLDS, a squirrel ran across home plate after a pitch was delivered. Now "BUSCH SQUIRREL" is some sort of loving celebrity, someone created a Twitter account for it, and there is literally an article in today's P-D (a week after the incident, mind you) with "Busch Squirrel's Best Tweets"

Ugh.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
just watched that otl clip

i could watch bomani jones make faces for DAYS

ahaha loving lol dave zirin is on fire in that poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 12, 2011

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FairGame posted:

Whoever the editor of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports section is needs to get kicked in the junk repeatedly.

In Game 4 of the NLDS, a squirrel ran across home plate after a pitch was delivered. Now "BUSCH SQUIRREL" is some sort of loving celebrity, someone created a Twitter account for it, and there is literally an article in today's P-D (a week after the incident, mind you) with "Busch Squirrel's Best Tweets"

Ugh.

People are going to bring stuffed squirrel dolls to your games for the next 15 years. Sorry.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

FairGame posted:

Ugh.

To be fair, it's definitely the most exciting thing to happen in St. Louis in at least four years.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Captain Charisma posted:

Joel Sherman thinks the Yankees should sign Carlos Beltran. The Yankees do not have holes at any of the positions he can play. Let's see how this would work.

They'd probably just trade Swisher in this scenario. I don't know why he had to contort around that.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Welcome back, Michael Schur.

Love the killer 'letter' in the footnotes.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 13, 2011

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
While we're on the comedy train, I enjoyed this piece on Tebow by Spencer Hall.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Grantland is reviewing anime video games now. Take that for what it's worth.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Tom Bissell's writing has been some of the best stuff on the site, though.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Check out @engeljen and Brandon McCarthy's feed if you want to see a writer being dumb as gently caress and getting owned

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Wow, I actually can't believe that Michael Schur wrote an article that bad.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Schur's article itself was kind of "eh" for me until I read the footnotes

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

It kind of fizzled out at the end, but I don't think it was bad at all. If anything, it was pretty accurate. Would've liked more length (and maybe I just miss FJM so I was dying to see one of the guys just rip the poo poo out of the Boston media) but compared to what's truly bad -- i.e. almost everything else in this thread -- it doesn't even hold a candle.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 13, 2011

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

They have done a few pieces before. I remember the one on LA Noire being really long.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Writing a "woe is me" article about the Red Sox based on some kind of ridiculous mythic "culture of losing" is pretty bad, no matter how well it calls out some people who need to be called out. They've been one of the best franchises in MLB for a decade or so, there's more than one fanbase who's seen just as many ridiculous meltdowns without any of the preceding success.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Mornacale posted:

Writing a "woe is me" article about the Red Sox based on some kind of ridiculous mythic "culture of losing" is pretty bad, no matter how well it calls out some people who need to be called out. They've been one of the best franchises in MLB for a decade or so, there's more than one fanbase who's seen just as many ridiculous meltdowns without any of the preceding success.

I didn't really see it as "woe is me," and I thought the point was valid. Really did not view it like this in the slightest.

Are you saying that there wasn't an old, idiotic, curse-based narrative that people seemed to latch onto prior to 2002? Or that (thankfully) that narrative had been buried, and that was good? I'm just kind of confused, like you're attacking this piece based as if it was some blog written by a downtrodden Boston fan or terrible member of the national media.

note: not a Red Sox fan (downside of getting rid of my Montero av, I guess!)

nasboat fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 13, 2011

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

nasboat posted:

I didn't really see it as "woe is me," and I thought the point was valid. Really did not view it like this in the slightest.

Are you saying that there wasn't an old, idiotic, curse-based narrative that people seemed to latch onto prior to 2002? Or that (thankfully) that narrative had been buried, and that was good? I'm just kind of confused, like you're attacking this piece based as if it was some blog written by a downtrodden Boston fan or terrible member of the national media.

note: not a Red Sox fan (downside of getting rid of my Montero av, I guess!)

I'm saying that this piece reads to me exactly as if it were a blog written by a downtrodden Boston fan or terrible member of the national media. Given Schur's stellar record, I found it disappointing.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see too much difference between someone writing "this shows that the Red Sox are Losers with a Culture of Losing, a bad franchise!" and writing "this is going to make people talk about the Red Sox being Losers with a Culture of Losing, which will make them a bad franchise!" Either one is essentially claiming that missing the playoffs by one game and then having front office drama is going to automatically return the team to the Bad Old Days, which is reactionary and dumb whether you're blaming a curse or the FO/media.

e: To be fair, I think we all know that I have a hate-on for people complaining about the franchise woes of successful big-market teams, so I'm surely not going to claim to be unbiased. This whole thing has really been a mess for the Sox, and obviously their fans should be upset. I just didn't feel like this article was particularly insightful beyond "here's [a more correct reason] why we should be so upset."

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 13, 2011

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I think it was basically saying its loving stupid to freak out and trash your manager and players and do a whole bunch of silly soap opera bullshit because of one 'bad' (92 loving win!) season. Which is exactly whats happening. Sure its duh but what else is there to say about it, it's loving pathetic.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

GoutPatrol posted:

They have done a few pieces before. I remember the one on LA Noire being really long.

The guy did a Dead Island review that was dumb, had some factual issues and it was clear he came in with negative feelings before he started up the game at all.

Catherine is a great game but he's like two months late on writing about it. The timing on the piece is very, very off.

Also I should note that I've liked some Bissell's stuff, I think he often has good points. I'm just not a fan overall, I guess.

leokitty fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 14, 2011

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

stuart scott irl posted:

Check out @engeljen and Brandon McCarthy's feed if you want to see a writer being dumb as gently caress and getting owned

Can we get a screen cap or something?

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

No one screenshot from McCarthy's feed will do it, but I think this suffices for the writer:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Please, for the love of god, tell me that woman is not a professional writer. I don't want to believe that someone who gets paid to write words unironically and repeatedly uses "epic fail".

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Well, sorry

she works for Fox Sports

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

That is truly the most Epic Fail.

God, she used it twice consecutively!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

stuart scott irl posted:

Well, sorry

she works for Fox Sports

One might say it slapped its Epic Fail on her.

Destroy the loving Earth.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
"what i do know is loyalty is very undervalued in Am society right now"

lolll get a day job lady

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Loyalty is the next market inefficiency.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Why does a 140-character limit compel someone to use as few characters as possible? It's like reading the classifieds.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Mornacale posted:

Please, for the love of god, tell me that woman is not a professional writer. I don't want to believe that someone who gets paid to write words unironically and repeatedly uses "epic fail".
Welcome to the world of idiots. Thanks, Team Barry!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Mornacale posted:

I'm saying that this piece reads to me exactly as if it were a blog written by a downtrodden Boston fan or terrible member of the national media. Given Schur's stellar record, I found it disappointing.
I'm sympathetic to Michael Schur more than I would like to be. I find it odd and discomfiting that he and I share lots of opinions. That said, this was a poor and tossed-out response that didn't persuade and at best gets relegated to the self-pity pile. He's better than that.