Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Dush posted:

Yeah, check it out: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Y-17_trauma_override_harness

Pretty creepy. Big MT... !!!!

HEY WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?

I got to appreciate that Wild Wilderness has quite a few smirk inducing things in the DLCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

turboraton posted:

Totally unrelated to Fallout but... guys I have never played Arcanum but I have heard MANY good things about the game. Should I play it or has the game aged badly?

Ignore all the naysayers. Arcanum is a great game that holds up well compared to the other 2D isometric RPGs of the era. It has more in common with a game like PS:T in that the focus is very much on plot and story, as opposed to the more tactical-combat focused approach you get in Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale.

Just make sure you download the Unofficial Arcanum Patch and you shouldn't encounter any real stability or performance issues. The game will be dense, but most people complain that modern games aren't complex enough, so that might be a plus in your eyes. Combat will be difficult, but nowhere near as bad as people say. Play in real-time (as opposed to turn-based) and just don't neglect your combat skills and you'll be fine. The Harm-casting mage is everyone's default answer, but mages are boring in Arcanum. Go with a mean fighter with maxed out melee and dodge, or a crafty klepto gunslinger.

Other than that, the game will be unforgiving. You will want to make a bunch of saves and you may find yourself reloading. If you start playing, I would recommend hitting up the Before I Play wiki from the FAQ thread so you don't gently caress yourself over out of the gates.

Just remember the standard RPG conventions: Talk to everyone with a name, accept every quest, steal everything that isn't nailed down, etc. etc. Arcanum is a game that rewards being methodical and thorough.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SeanBeansShako posted:

HEY WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?

I got to appreciate that Wild Wilderness has quite a few smirk inducing things in the DLCs.

Is there any reason to play without Wild Wilderness? Sure it takes out a trait slot, but...

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

FrozenVent posted:

Is there any reason to play without Wild Wilderness? Sure it takes out a trait slot, but...

I like playing the game without it and only plan a single run just to get over it. I always thought Fallout 2 went overboard with zany stuff and it is great that we have an option to shut it down (but also be able to play).

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

FrozenVent posted:

Certain items are replaced in some instances; with the trait, for example, at the north end of the map, north of Horowitz Farmstead or so, there is a UFO there if you have the trait; one alien carries the Alien Blaster. If you don't have Wild Wasteland, you get a unique Gauss Rifle.

In a Searchlight church (I think), with Wild Wasteland, you get Holy Hand Grenades; without the trait, you get Mini Nukes.

That's just off the top of my head, if you want those normal pickups.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Galewolf posted:

I like playing the game without it and only plan a single run just to get over it. I always thought Fallout 2 went overboard with zany stuff and it is great that we have an option to shut it down (but also be able to play).

Most of Wild Wasteland is really... boring... and just renaming occasional poo poo that is already there to be movie references. Most of the zany stuff is totally unaffected by it, there just is generally way less of that in New Vegas. The Holy Hand Grenades are hilariously goddamned useful and that's about it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Most of Wild Wasteland is really... boring... and just renaming occasional poo poo that is already there to be movie references. Most of the zany stuff is totally unaffected by it, there just is generally way less of that in New Vegas. The Holy Hand Grenades are hilariously goddamned useful and that's about it.

There's Johnny Fiveaces nears Goodspring, and those three grannies that jump you with rolling pins. Otherwise there's nothing that really stands out; most of the time that "SOMETHING WEIRD IS HAPPENING!" icon appears and I have to stand there for a while trying to figure out what's happening...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh gently caress Marcus is slowly getting killed by random spawns of Cazadores in the the walls of Jacob Town!

Leave my favourite Fallout 2 buddy alone you winged dicks!

Yup. I've had Cazadors, Giant Radscorps, and *both* spawning in Jacobstown when I've fast-travelled there.

Might be worth travelling somewhere downhill, and hoofing it up the hill/sniping as soon as they appear. That, or taking it off the itinerary.

Too bad that kind of thing doesn't happen at Nellis - I'm sure the Boomers would *love* it.

As for the "return from OWB" combat, my first time back, as I trudged towards Primm to ship my loot home, I spotted a Legion assassin squad ahead.

Before they spotted me.

And non-VATS obliterated them with Christine's Go The gently caress To Sleep Rifle.

Kinda made me wish I'd tried it at Big MT, but until I swapped my parts, I didn't have the strength...

Of course, now I'm obliterating them with the GRA HOLY poo poo THAT WAS Antimaterial Rifle wtih AWESOME Explosive ammo. :black101:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The explosive ammo is awesome until you miss a loving ghoul ten times in a row ;[

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

The explosive ammo is awesome until you miss a loving ghoul ten times in a row ;[

As long as you got him with the eleventh then that is 440 caps well spent.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

As long as you got him with the eleventh then that is 440 caps well spent.

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over my nailgun gibbing a deathclaw from 500 yards.... Wait... yes I could. It's silent. :mmmsmug:

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

AlmightyBob posted:

Hit the ground at its feet. The explosiveness has an AoE!

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Kharmakazy posted:

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over my nailgun gibbing a deathclaw from 500 yards.... Wait... yes I could. It's silent. :mmmsmug:

But silent killing Deathclaws is what Ratslayer is for :smugdog:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CommanderCoffee posted:

Hit the ground at its feet. The explosiveness has an AoE!

I shot Kimball with a round and all the rangers went flying everywhere

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Can you shoot down Kimball's vertibird?

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

SpaceMost posted:

Can you shoot down Kimball's vertibird?

If you plan to, best be using high-piercing rounds from the Anti-Materiel Rifle or the YCS/186.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Wow, coming out of Old World Blues back to the Mojave makes me appreciate the enemies there so much more. Walk into an ambush? 5 unanswered shots later your enemies are lying dead around you and you're calmly reloading and wondering what to do with all your extra bullets.
Seriously, though. Max level with all the best equipment in Big MT and you're still borked. Makes me wonder if the enemies there level with the player.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

LividLiquid posted:

Seriously, though. Max level with all the best equipment in Big MT and you're still borked. Makes me wonder if the enemies there level with the player.

They do (to an extent.) I'm playing through OWB with a LVL 7 guy right now and the weapons and health they normally have access to are markedly inferior than, say, starting OWB at LVL 20.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

FrozenVent posted:

There's Johnny Fiveaces nears Goodspring, and those three grannies that jump you with rolling pins. Otherwise there's nothing that really stands out; most of the time that "SOMETHING WEIRD IS HAPPENING!" icon appears and I have to stand there for a while trying to figure out what's happening...

First time playing I experienced this walking out of Nipton.
Idiotic.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Death by Cranes posted:

First time playing I experienced this walking out of Nipton.
Idiotic.

There's a couple of scorched bodies by a trailer marked with the names of the uncle and aunt from Star Wars IV. That's the only one I can think of in Nipton (It's kind of funny)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm glad I had Wild Wasteland for my first run just so I could see them all, they're certainly not worth the loss of another possible trait though and I wouldn't bother taking the trait again.

Though I did get a laugh out of the poker game in OWB.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Galewolf posted:

As everyone else has said the Wild Wasteland stuff doesn't really make the game any zanier. It's almost entirely just references to things in other media and a lot of it is worth a chuckle without being overbearingly goofy.

I've never played without it, though, just because Skilled is the only trait I like.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I'm glad I had Wild Wasteland for my first run just so I could see them all, they're certainly not worth the loss of another possible trait though and I wouldn't bother taking the trait again.

Though I did get a laugh out of the poker game in OWB.
There's a Futurama one in the next DLC that you'll dig. It's the funky mineral that won't cop out when there's heat all about.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I felt like seeing what new stuff WW added for the DLC, doubt I'll use it again.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I always miss Wild Wasteland for Mr. New Vegas' extra lines when I don't take it.

"Mojave, mo' problems. Am I right?"

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Just finished Lonesome Road, that's all the DLCs down and only Hoover Battle to go. LR was probably my favorite DLC because of the setting and atmosphere. The story, particularly the ending, was frustrating because I didn't quite understand why the two couriers did what they did.

I know Ulysses and your character were couriers before the beginning of the game, and he knew/saw you deliver some kind of device to the Divide. You use it to detonate lots of warheads underground, sundering the earth and killing off some community that wasn't NCR or Legion. Right? Why?

From what I gathered, Ulysses' motives for attempting to nuke NCR/Legion is to start anew, because he saw you do it and realized that one person could change everything. That seems like a hollow reason - "Because you did it, I can do it too, so I'm going to do it." Did I miss something or is at simple as that?

Was it ever hinted about what the civilization in the Divide was, or why you delivered a package that destroyed it? Was it really your home?

LR made me feel like I have terrible reading comprehension problems. I still really enjoyed it. I'm going to be devastated if we never get another Obsidian Fallout game.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Oh drat the LAER with MC rounds burns the shut out of Roboscorpions

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 31, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

50 Foot Ant posted:

Christ, I was SOOOO glad that I had CC on when I did Lonesome Road.

I swear that fucker

talks

thi

sss

Apparently he's butthurt that Caesar killed his tribe and that the NCR killed the "new nation", so now both sides get to die in a nuclear loving holocaust.

Figured he spoke like this when recording messages to save time. Turns out when you talk to him in person he speaks like this too. Made me mad. In front of you, talk like normal. Will shove Old Glory up your rear end. Ornamental end first.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Node posted:

Just finished Lonesome Road,

LR made me feel like I have terrible reading comprehension problems. I still really enjoyed it. I'm going to be devastated if we never get another Obsidian Fallout game.

Basically:

Pre-game the Courier worked around/possibly lived in a community in the divide. I'm not 100% sure if it was enclave or not but it was growing into something unique due to being surrounded by old world symbols and represented (at least to Ulysses) a new way of thinking. Of course the NCR annexed it and moved in a company, and Caesar's legion moved in as it was another supply route to the mojave.

The courier, unknowingly, delivers a package that someone activates, that sets off many of the nukes still underground killing almost everyone and almost killing ulysses, who is permanently scarred.

What Ulysses takes from this is that one person can make a difference, can kill a symbol. With the nukes he's trying to end NCR, and while he still identifies with the Legion, hes disillusioned with Caesar and thinks this will be a test for them and wants to see if they'll survive without an enemy to focus on.

We don't actually know what the community was, I got the impression it was Enclave and Ulysses didn't recognize it but I dunno. Whether the courier lived there or just delivered messages is also unknown and up to the player.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

RentACop posted:

Basically:

Pre-game the Courier worked around/possibly lived in a community in the divide. I'm not 100% sure if it was enclave or not but it was growing into something unique due to being surrounded by old world symbols and represented (at least to Ulysses) a new way of thinking. Of course the NCR annexed it and moved in a company, and Caesar's legion moved in as it was another supply route to the mojave.

We don't actually know what the community was, I got the impression it was Enclave and Ulysses didn't recognize it but I dunno. Whether the courier lived there or just delivered messages is also unknown and up to the player.

Uh, it wasn't a community s/he lived in or worked around. The Courier basically built that community. By becoming a courier, s/he made it a vital trading stop on the way to the Mojave. This isn't 'up to the player', Ulysses basically says, "You built The Divide into something different."

On that note, I find it impossible to start a new game without doing the quest "I Fought the Law".

Noted Literally
May 25, 2005
I'm so confused...

RentACop posted:

Basically:

The courier, unknowingly, delivers a package that someone activates, that sets off many of the nukes still underground killing almost everyone and almost killing ulysses, who is permanently scarred.

What Ulysses takes from this is that one person can make a difference, can kill a symbol. With the nukes he's trying to end NCR, and while he still identifies with the Legion, hes disillusioned with Caesar and thinks this will be a test for them and wants to see if they'll survive without an enemy to focus on.

It wasn't Enclave. It was America. The real America - at least, as Ulysses saw it. Not the continued government, not the basic form, but something about the town or whatever convinced him that this could be the seed of America reborn. Something to Unite the States. And this was what Ulysses wanted/hoped for/believed in... right until you blew it up. So that's what he wants to launch the nukes, pretty much out of bitterness and spite - if he can't have his dreams, why should anyone else? He dresses it up as nihilism, but really his issue is that he's broken.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

CommanderCoffee posted:

On that note, I find it impossible to start a new game without doing the quest "I Fought the Law".

I always metal gear solid through there and leave just the leader alive,

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

CommanderCoffee posted:

Uh, it wasn't a community s/he lived in or worked around. The Courier basically built that community. By becoming a courier, s/he made it a vital trading stop on the way to the Mojave. This isn't 'up to the player', Ulysses basically says, "You built The Divide into something different."

That's what Ulysses says, but he sees things the way he wants to. The player is free to protest that point

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

RentACop posted:

That's what Ulysses says, but he sees things the way he wants to. The player is free to protest that point
Yeah, Ulysses says two things of the courier: You built the town, and it was your home, and you can totally deny both, which leads Ulysses to backpedal a bit, even if you didn't mean to build it, it sprung up because you kept traveling through here and delivering stuff vital for the community- even if it was just a coincidence, you built it. Even if you didn't think it was your home, it was, because 'home' isn't where you live or where you're from, but... err... if you visit a place a lot it's your home. Or something like that. He put it better, but it didn't really make sense to me.

Basically all he really says for sure of your past is that you traveled through there as a courier quite a few times. Beyond that he says, you worked in the NCR for quite a while, and one package was a nuclear detonator, but otherwise he doesn't pin anything about your past down.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

LividLiquid posted:

They do. Going from L30-L50 they get ~70% more health and much deadlier weapons.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Eiba posted:

Yeah, Ulysses says two things of the courier: You built the town, and it was your home, and you can totally deny both, which leads Ulysses to backpedal a bit, even if you didn't mean to build it, it sprung up because you kept traveling through here and delivering stuff vital for the community- even if it was just a coincidence, you built it. Even if you didn't think it was your home, it was, because 'home' isn't where you live or where you're from, but... err... if you visit a place a lot it's your home. Or something like that. He put it better, but it didn't really make sense to me.

Basically all he really says for sure of your past is that you traveled through there as a courier quite a few times. Beyond that he says, you worked in the NCR for quite a while, and one package was a nuclear detonator, but otherwise he doesn't pin anything about your past down.

He says quite a bit more then just that. Especially if you go through the dialog about his logs with some perks like Explorer.

Basically the Courier and Ulysses are the same person just gone through very different circumstances. Where the Courier decided to go west along the Long 15, Ulysses went east to Caesars lands.

The Courier was the very first to make the trips down the Long 15. You basically wrote the map for the best path to get to the eastern lands. Thus joining the NCR territories with the rest of the nation. The Divide sprung up because of the paths that the Courier made and for a while grew into a wealthy town. The Divide was the one place that the Courier stopped every time on his trips back into the East and to the Mojave. For a time it was the Couriers home as he made more trips into NCR and walked the Long 15 whether you accept it or not Ulysses seems pretty irrelevant.

At the same time Ulysses had gone East and meet up with Caesar who saw him as a fellow intellectual and hired him to do courier work. Caesar was big on couriers since they could come and go into places visible members of the Legion could never go. Ulysses found himself doing more and more Legion work and less courier work as time went on. Eventually he got tired and disgusted with Caesar's methods when he saw what he had done with the White Legs, which reminded him of how his own tribe had died in a similar method. When he left Caesar he left for the Divide and saw what the Courier had built and how a lone person could accomplish something that gave him hope for the future. The town was growing to be something of a symbol since it serviced both east and west, NCR and Legion, it bridged the great divide between the two warring states. This is why he considered it America reborn not because of the symbols of the city but because it represented what he had been looking for his whole live, a place where anyone could come and start in a land of new opportunity.

When the NCR decided that they wanted the Eastern lands but were unable to hold it with out massive forces so they sent the Navarro ED-E to the Divide where he could reactivate the military bases there and get some major weaponry to fight back against the approaching forces of Caesar. However no one realized that in reactivating the bases the nuclear missiles would also be reactivated. Thus when ED-E was flicked on in the Divide everyone went to poo poo and got blown way the hell up. It was nothing more then a coincidence that it was the same Courier who put the town on the map.

Ulysses had lost his home for the third time and he realized that it had all been because of the Courier. Everything was about revenge for what the Courier had done because in the end the Courier had done the exact same thing Ulysses had done in destroying his tribe. He felt as though the Courier had given him a new home just to take it all away so he wanted to nuke all of the Mojave do what the Courier had done to him. A single man destroying nations is a powerful thing and even more powerful if you are deeply connected to the nation.

It's an interesting tale and I think everyone who just blew him away the first chance you get is missing out on some cool bits if you talk him down. It's that old butterfly effect where an insignificant decision leads to some radically different turn of events. It does take some of the decisions out of the hands of the player and for once you don't really get a say so in the past of the Courier but it really works in the end.

Maybe it's just me but I really like the fact that it's basically presented like if the Courier had chosen to go East instead of West then you would have become Ulysses and vice versa. The only thing separating the player from a lone broken man bent on repeating the same mistakes that caused the wasteland to exacting revenge on the Courier is nothing more then a one off decision that is presented as so unimportant the Courier had forgotten all about it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My Courier had an Int of 3 and was constantly drunk & high. I don't think going East would have made him gaf about creating nations and philosophizing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

randombattle posted:

He says quite a bit more then just that.
That's a lot of interesting stuff... some of which I'm not sure is true!

In any case, I was specifically referring to what Ulysses says of the Courier's past. He does not say where you're from, just that you were in the West for a time. He does not say what your motives were in the Divide, just that your actions brought about the town.

Also, I'm pretty sure Ulysses himself was the member of the Twisted Hairs tribe which were absorbed by Caesar's Legion early on. He didn't go east, he's from the East, and became a courier because he was one of the frumentari, not the other way around. Likewise, the Courier didn't go west, necessarily, as they don't have a stated origin.

Also, to nitpick, the Long 15 is different from the Divide. The Long 15 was the route to the Mojave since way back when. Before the war, in fact. It's a modern highway. The Divide was an additional route into the Mojave that the courier discovered.

The NCR definitely did not deliberately destroy the Divide. That was honestly an accident, and only served to aid Caesar. It blocked off one of the only two supply lines into the Mojave, allowing Caesar to regroup after his defeat at the First Battle of the Hover Dam. Joshua Graham says as much.

I was going to say that there was no Navarro ED-E, and that ED-E was from DC but... looking it up, apparently Chris Avellone himself confirmed that the package from Navarro was indeed... ED-E. What the heck? How does that possibly work?

It's got a lot of elements of an interesting story... I just wish it was more coherent. Like apparently Ulysses is still looking for a future when he was in the Big MT and talked with Christine about the Brotherhood... but that's long after the Divide was destroyed and broke Ulysses. And how did Christine and Dog/God hear of the battle of the Divide in the ending slides? It wasn't exactly a big deal to anyone else, at least if you defused the bombs like I did. And in what way were we "each bearing a message for the other"?

I almost get the impression that the story of Lonesome Road wasn't finalized when they were still dropping hints about it. It's just kind of... awkward.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Eiba posted:

The guy that sends a loving nuclear detonator in the post to a town built on top of hundreds of un-launched nukes is the guy I really want to track across the wasteland for a climatic showdown.