Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

First WWE.com calls the Can-Am Express & The Beverly Brothers worse than Otunga/McGillicutty and now they're saying Mr. Ooh La La himself is FORGETTABLE? This will not stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Beverly Brothers were worse than anyone. They were McGillitunga with lovely capes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Is it bad that I remember all these?

http://us.wwe.com/inside/wcw/forgettable-wcw-competitors

I think there's a lot on that list that are unforgettable. For all the wrong reasons, but I don't think I'd ever forget Pepe.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Beverly Brothers were worse than anyone. They were McGillitunga with lovely capes.

Most of the time I can just ignore posts that are blatantly wrong. I feel a slight inward cringe inside me and sigh at the sad state of wrestling fans now. Alas, this time you sir have gone too far. The Beverly Brothers were awesome.

I mean for starters Bloom and Enos are the ONLY TAG TEAM EVER to win the prestigious PWI rookie of the year award. As the destruction crew they were pretty much the last great thing going in the AWA creating more double team moves than anyone else that were stolen by everyone else. If you've seen a double team move that looks awesome, the chances were that they invented it.

When the AWA folded they moved to WCW under hoods as the Minnesota Wrecking crew 2, which was supposed to lead on to a "dream" match with the Steiners where they would unmask and start a reign of terror. The Ole Anderson went crazy or something and they were fired for something stupid.

In the WWE they may have had a poo poo gimmick, and may have had to tone down their flashy double team offence, but they could still work a hell of a match. The problem is that their PPV appearances mostly came against the Bushwackers who were just terrible, and their truely great matches, against say the Rockers or even the Natural Disasters were stuck on Superstars of Wrestling.

In short the Berverlies own. They had the genius as a manager. How could they not?

(Also they have a clean win over the Outsiders. How many people can claim that?)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
As a kid I hated the Beverly Brothers. Like, not hated them because they were heels, I just hated them because they were lame.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just now saw this posted here after I posted this link in the picture thread but my MSW fandom aside Maestro had one of the most elaborate entrances ever. He rode a goddamn piano though the sky in his own room as he played his own theme song.

Even before getting into MSW and discovering he was still an active wrestler I had always remembered his entrance and ringwork and thought he was pretty rad. He was booked really poorly but could go in the ring and his feud with The Artist Formerly Known As Prince Iaukea was entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSczk4lLVEU

And in typical WCW fashion at the end of their match you have Jeff Jarrett hitting both of them with guitars with no god drat reason.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just now saw this posted here after I posted this link in the picture thread but my MSW fandom aside Maestro had one of the most elaborate entrances ever. He rode a goddamn piano though the sky in his own room as he played his own theme song.

Even before getting into MSW and discovering he was still an active wrestler I had always remembered his entrance and ringwork and thought he was pretty rad. He was booked really poorly but could go in the ring and his feud with The Artist Formerly Known As Prince Iaukea was entertaining.

I wish I knew why I can still remember the Maestro feuding with Iaukea, but a lot of current wrestling is just a jumbled mess in my head.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
When was PG-13 in WCW?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Berlyn: One of the coolest looks plus it's Alex Wright
3 Count: Fantastic gimmick because everyone hates boy bands
Blacktop Bully: Okay they got that one
Bootyman: Terrible but Kimberly is so sexy
Ciclope: Was once played by Dean Malenko to the biggest pop in WCW history
Crowbar: Good undercard guy
Evad: I hate Evad.
Demon: Trainwreck
The Disciple: I remember his stunner had a really stupid name like the Apocalypse or something
Disorderly Conduct: Uhhhh...
Fake Sting: Awesome gimmick
G.I.Bro: Ugh.
Glacier: An entrance so good he sold it
Horace: Who could forget the guy who only had a job because of who he was related to?
Kwee-Wee: I liked Kwee-Wee. He had good intensity.
Lash LeRoux: Why did you get fat? :(
Lenny Lane: WHERE'S MY LOVERBOY TAPES!?
Lodi: Best signs
The Maestro: Stro is the best
Barry Darsow: Awesome.
Norman the Lunatic: Welp... better than his WWF gimmicks
Oz: Haha
PePe: THE BEST!
PG-13: I remember them rapping on Raw
Ralphus: Was once one of the most over guys on WCW
Steel: Haha
Van Hammer: Mediocre but not bad
Disco: Awesome character, annoying person
Zodiac: Yes? No? Yes?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also Horace was involved in the Warrior Hogan match and who could forget that?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Disorderly Conduct is a great choice for that list because I literally have no memory of them ever existing even after seeing a photo and I loved WCW back in the day.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSczk4lLVEU

And in typical WCW fashion at the end of their match you have Jeff Jarrett hitting both of them with guitars with no god drat reason.

Proof that Maestro is terrible: Carlisle is a fan.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I think they used a couple of guys on that list cause the gimmicks were silly as opposed to being forgettable. 3 Count was one of the most over acts WCW had in its dying days.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hirams Bitch posted:

Proof that Maestro is terrible: Carlisle is a fan.

Proof something is great: You usually whine non-stop about it.

This game is stupid.

Edit: I just now remembered your terrible posts in the Johnny Blast Q & A thread. You really hate that people actually enjoy MSW here don't you? Haha.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 13, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Disorderly Conduct is a great choice for that list because I literally have no memory of them ever existing even after seeing a photo and I loved WCW back in the day.

They should have added Steve Doll, the only guy in the match Scott Hall interrupted I remember.

Or Mike Enos and Rick Fuller who were in WCW Thunder when Ric Flair wasn't.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Maestro was great just for the way he sold James Brown finally showing up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

CVagts posted:

Maestro was great just for the way he sold James Brown finally showing up.

James Brown showing up unadvertised (he was paid $10,000 apparently)

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Still, those no people who bought the show to see him got to see a catatonic Maestro as a bonus.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Where are High Voltage, MVP, Price Iekea, Reno, The Natural Born Thrillers, Harlem Heat 2000, The No Limits Soldiers, The Yeti, Standards and Practices, Creative Control, The Wall, etc., etc., etc.

A bunch of guys on WWE's list are more memorable than all those. Hell, Disco Inferno is a 4 time champion in WCW.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Where are High Voltage, MVP, Price Iekea, Reno, The Natural Born Thrillers, Harlem Heat 2000, The No Limits Soldiers, The Yeti, Standards and Practices, Creative Control, The Wall, etc., etc., etc.

A bunch of guys on WWE's list are more memorable than all those. Hell, Disco Inferno is a 4 time champion in WCW.

I freakin' loved the Natural Born Thrillers.

That era really was great for companies trying to push new stars.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Yeah, they were one of the highlights of WCWs dying days, but I think 3-Count and Disco Inferno are more memorable.

I also liked when the Perfect Event ripped off Curt Henning's WWF Schick, and started a feud with him. Too bad it didn't really go anywhere.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah, they were one of the highlights of WCWs dying days, but I think 3-Count and Disco Inferno are more memorable.

I also liked when the Perfect Event ripped off Curt Henning's WWF Schick, and started a feud with him. Too bad it didn't really go anywhere.

Disco(despite being a real life douchebag) was cool as hell in WCW. The perfect midcard act. 3 Count were really good cruisers and they had motherfucking Tank Abbot.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

coconono posted:

Disco(despite being a real life douchebag) was cool as hell in WCW. The perfect midcard act. 3 Count were really good cruisers and they had motherfucking Tank Abbot.

Plus they had a perfect gimmick. The amount of wrestling fans who liked boy bands were probably around 2 per cent. You can't find a better heel heat seeker gimmick aside from a Nazi or Terrorist.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

:(

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
God bless the Stro for being an optimist about it. Better to be featured on WWE.com than not, I suppose.

Also, I have yet to not remember one of the "obscure" or "forgettable" WCW talents mentioned on the website or in this thread. I don't know what that says about me.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
The Stro was awesome because he stole his 'hear X music, gently caress poo poo UP' gimmick from the Three Stooges short Punch Drunks.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Speaking of the Stro, I wonder if WWE now owns the Gorgeous George gimmick?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

Demon: Trainwreck

Demon always gets a pass for his graveyard match against Vampiro. Always. :colbert:

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

gently caress that list. How can you have Pepe listed as forgettable?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The only reason I know of their existance is because they're from my hometown. I think they may still wrestle for Great Lakes Championship Wrestling or run a wrestling school. not sure.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Looking back I think Van Hammer was the worst wrestler of the 90s. He was always god awful but kept his job for 10 years despite having nothing other than being tall. Even Sid had a good match or two and a ton of charisma. Van Hammer is seriously one of the best examples that WCW was always retarded.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I hadn't thought about those guys in awhile, but I definitely remember them. I was in elementary school and just getting into wrestling for the first time with WCW in 1996, and I went way overboard. I watched WCW Saturday Night, Worldwide and Pro many a weekend, so I have a categorical knowledge of all these WCW jobbers.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRayPer posted:

Looking back I think Ed Leslie was the worst wrestler of the 90s. He was always god awful but kept his job for 10 years despite having nothing other than Hogan friendship. Even Sid had a good match or two and a ton of charisma. Ed Leslie is seriously one of the best examples that WCW was always retarded.

Leslie was visible as an Nwo member on TV. Van Hammer didnt get inserted into angles with the top stars. I mean, you think Van Hammer was seriously worse than, say, Giant Gonzalez?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

Leslie was visible as an Nwo member on TV. Van Hammer didnt get inserted into angles with the top stars. I mean, you think Van Hammer was seriously worse than, say, Giant Gonzalez?

El Gigante was around for about 4 years. Ed Leslie wasn't around for long stretches of time or was Hogan's valet. Van Hammer was a wrestler the entire decade.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
Van Hammer? Don't you mean MAJOR STASH?

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
I still love the story about how he was called that instead of Private Stash because he didn't want to be the lowest-ranked member of the Misfits in Action.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Iskanderson posted:

I still love the story about how he was called that instead of Private Stash because he didn't want to be the lowest-ranked member of the Misfits in Action.

Even though it completely changed the meaning of the "private stash" gag.

Sikki Nixx
Sep 3, 2011

Whether you like it, or you don't like it, learn to love it! WOOOOO!
Has anyone seen the stro's wikipedia page lately? It looks to be written by the stro himself, or a obsessed (most likely goon) fan. It lists every match he's had in the past 2 years. And stop hating on Van Hammer! Any wrestler with a hair metal gimmick is a god in my book.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist
For what it's worth, Hammer wasn't there for the full ten years. He took most of the mid-90's off before reappearing in a mesh shirt with the nipples cut out in the Flock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I thought Hammer worked as a flock mook. Beyond that I can't really say anything of their worth.

This incidentally pretty much goes for the rest of the flock that isn't Raven, Saturn, or Kidman.