Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Kiwillian posted:

Where is this sodding sunlight warrior alter? I am at the bonfire behind Mr. Dragon and it is not anywhere here or in the gardens. :(

I think there's a broken statue out there. It's on the terrace where the sun shines down. If you don't get a dialogue pop up you don't have the required 50 faith (-5 faith per boss you've helped defeat as a phantom).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I'm also beginning to doubt that the crystal ice golems will ever drop blue titanite, I've been killing them a bunch with my Item Find at 300 and still haven't gotten anything.

I've gotten two to drop.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
Just reached what I think is the famous spot in Anor Londo with the two greatbow-wielding knights. Definitely as bad as advertised.

Discovered a trick, though: If you equip the Ring of Fog it seems to become harder for them to notice you - I imagine because they rely on sight at that distance instead of relying on sound like most enemies. Not sure if this makes them much easier, though.

EDIT: Trip report: It definitely makes them easier. :D

Kaelan Zero fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 14, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I got 3 drops of that blue meth from the crystal golems on my way to Seath. If it makes you feel better the golems by the hydra in darkroot drop them as well.

Anyway I have like a billion question before I finally open the final area so help me guys!

Where is Darkwraith Kirk's Spike Armor? I really wanna try it out.

Where (equipment and area spoilers) is the Old Monk's Headwrap in the Painted World?

Where can I find a blue titanite slab?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Sorry, I'm going to be a boring poo poo and ask another question: you know the small broken altar thing on the floor above the bonfire above the Undead Parish Blacksmith? (whassisname, Pete or summink?) I often see a message (with positive recommendations) saying something along the lines of "need master". What is this message getting at? Is there something to be found / done at this broken altar?

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

oneliquidninja posted:

I think there's a broken statue out there. It's on the terrace where the sun shines down. If you don't get a dialogue pop up you don't have the required 50 faith (-5 faith per boss you've helped defeat as a phantom).

Well, poo. I thought I may have enough with all my helping people and medals. Oh well :(

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Kaelan Zero posted:

Just reached what I think is the famous spot in Anor Londo with the two greatbow-wielding knights. Definitely as bad as advertised.

Discovered a trick, though: If you equip the Ring of Fog it seems to become harder for them to notice you - I imagine because they rely on sight at that distance instead of relying on sound like most enemies. Not sure if this makes them much easier, though.

Another thing that helps: people have posted that if you just run up and charge the guy on the right with your shield up, and he shoots you, you'll probably be staggered off the platform. This is true, but only because the direction you're pushed is based on which way you're facing. So make sure that you've got your back diagonally to the wall (you have time to adjust in between his shots) and he'll just push you back on the platform without knocking you off. I think if you lock onto him it'll do this automatically, but I'm not sure because I did it sans lockon.

Also, please stop leaving "be wary of amazing chest" messages outside the princess's room. :v: It was funny the first time, but now when I see forty orange marks right there I know exactly what the half that isn't "I did it!" from O&S is going to be.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can anyone point out what soul levels are best for co-oping bosses? I'm trying to 100% achieve but I have to get in this damned covenant first.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Where can I find a blue titanite slab?

It can be found in the Crystal Caves. From the part you drop down to, after the second butterfly, turn around. You should see two lizards if you haven't killed them already. Go into their cave and look out the other side. Go across the invisible path until you reach the treasure which should be the blue slab.

waspinator posted:

Can anyone point out what soul levels are best for co-oping bosses? I'm trying to 100% achieve but I have to get in this damned covenant first.

50s seem to be a good level for O+S. I was getting summons until I hit my 70s. Speaking of 70s, low 70s were a good place for Demon Firesage from my experience.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 14, 2011

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

Megasabin posted:

I don't think a single person in this thread has had anything but negative things to say about the multiplayer. They said a patch is coming at the end of the month.

This is a few pages back now, but when did they announce a patch?

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?

Kaelan Zero posted:

EDIT: Trip report: It definitely makes them easier. :D
I almost feel bad because I was rocking the Ring of Fog and the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring and that section was a complete non-issue. What annoyed me a lot more were those Gargoyle fuckers with their Lightning Spears dealing damage through my shield.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
After restarting 3 times due to various reasons (including once my save game breaking) I finally cleared the Catacombs and killed Nito. Seriously, at 24 int and +5 Greater Pyromancer Flame it took 4 Great Chaos Fireballs and 3 Fire Orbs to take him down. Pinwheel died with 2 Fire Balls.

God, I love Pyro so much (even if it took 2 hours of grinding the 4 Silver Knights in Anor Londo to buy out Quelana's stock and max out the flame).

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Sumixam posted:

Considering I just lost 5k souls when returning to fight him this intrigues me. What forest is this?

Yeah see that's the problem, Dark Root Forest is right next to the blacksmith, but they put it behind a Titanite Demon, that unless you cheese with arrows, the player really isn't ready for yet. But the Dark Root Forest is a perfect progression from Undead Parish because the boss is much more forgiving and you get a number of items that are extremely useful for the next few zones such as a set of Heavy Armour/Ring for Capra, and a collection of herbs that help with Poison/Toxin for Depths/BlightTown.

Again, what the gently caress were they thinking putting that Titanite Demon there. Going to add it to the list of poor design decisions.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Yeah see that's the problem, Dark Root Forest is right next to the blacksmith, but they put it behind a Titanite Demon, that unless you cheese with arrows, the player really isn't ready for yet. But the Dark Root Forest is a perfect progression from Undead Parish because the boss is much more forgiving and you get a number of items that are extremely useful for the next few zones such as a set of Heavy Armour/Ring for Capra, and a collection of herbs that help with Poison/Toxin for Depths/BlightTown.

Again, what the gently caress were they thinking putting that Titanite Demon there. Going to add it to the list of poor design decisions.

You can easily run past him though. Or melee from the stairs behind him.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Uhm, that's actually not a problem at all. First, it's ridiculously easy to just run past the titanite demon. Problem solved. Second, i did the titanite demon at a soul level < 20. He wasn't hard at all... Also, he dropped a titanite catch pole, which is powerful as gently caress.

edit: beaten like a dark souls player.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Many people would just turn around and head in the other direction to inevitably smash their face against the Capra Demon 50 times as has been demonstrated throughout the thread though. And then get ultra pissed at Blighttown for having no Blossom's.

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?
I don't think anyone's first thought when confronted with a trident-wielding lightning-shooting rock demon would be "maybe I can run past him!"

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

This game made me realize just how dope spears are in real life.

Like seriously.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Professor Latency posted:

Like seriously.
You should become a Dynasty Warriors fan like me. All the spears you could ever want.

Only DW itself though, not spinoffs. Also 7 has significantly less spear action than any of the ones before, so I dunno anymore...

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Samurai Sanders posted:

You should become a Dynasty Warriors fan like me. All the spears you could ever want.

Only DW itself though, not spinoffs. Also 7 has significantly less spear action than any of the ones before, so I dunno anymore...

Dark Souls needs Undead Lu Bu as a boss.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm just starting new game+ and I just one shot the taurus boss... Great Club+15 with gold pine resin and dropped off the top of the tower :black101:

Curious about what the gently caress just happened in the ending:My guy reached for the bonfire and flames went through him. I realize there's probably 1 single page full of dialogue/story for this game, but what the hell? Did I become a firekeeper? If so what the hell does that even mean? I was expecting a cutscene or something even if it was as cryptic as everything else in the game. Also, the ending I got was the "To link the fire" ending, do I have to do anything special to unlock the other ending?

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Hexempaler posted:

I don't think anyone's first thought when confronted with a trident-wielding lightning-shooting rock demon would be "maybe I can run past him!"

Well, there's Dark Souls for you. You'll only make it through this game if you're able to think beyond your first instincts. Fear is the mind-killer. Also, it's a trident wielding, lightning-shooting rock demon with one leg, unable to walk. And there's a visibly open door behind him.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
THIS GAME. I was stressing last night, getting angry, getting frustrated then getting killed. Irritated that in 3-4 hours of gameplay I hadn't seen another bonfire or had a level up. Started to curse the game and then realised I was an idiot and that the next bonfire was in the building across the bridge that the red dragon was guarding . Fell back in love with the game instantly.

I'd be hosed if I didn't have the Drake Sword though.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Sumadartson posted:

Well, there's Dark Souls for you. You'll only make it through this game if you're able to think beyond your first instincts. Fear is the mind-killer. Also, it's a trident wielding, lightning-shooting rock demon with one leg, unable to walk. And there's a visibly open door behind him.

Thank god those loving things are missing a leg.

Actually on that note, do these guys have any specific immunity? I've tried lightening and fire, and neither do much to him. Is he just a massive damage sponge?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

McTimmy posted:

Blue slab

Thanks a bunch!

Also goddamn the whole backstory of the Izalithians and the egg bearers is depressing as hell. I really wish Nito got some more exposition. I think his role in the mythos in comparison to the other lords is a little on the light side. I guess he's just super chill though, content to lie in his coffin, being an aspect of death for all eternity.

Also Titanite Demon are a massive damage sponge. That said they are susceptible to kiting and sticking to their left side if in melee range. Just watch out for that jumping attack!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rexicon1 posted:

Thank god those loving things are missing a leg.

Actually on that note, do these guys have any specific immunity? I've tried lightening and fire, and neither do much to him. Is he just a massive damage sponge?

Honestly the way I beat that first one near the smith was equipping my beefiest weapon and smacking the hell out of him with it.

As many here can attest, when you have a Drake Sword/Black Knight Sword/Zweihander, everything starts to look like... chopped flesh? I dunno, I can't think of a good hammer/nail analogy.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

bewilderment posted:

Honestly the way I beat that first one near the smith was equipping my beefiest weapon and smacking the hell out of him with it.

As many here can attest, when you have a Drake Sword/Black Knight Sword/Zweihander, everything starts to look like... chopped flesh? I dunno, I can't think of a good hammer/nail analogy.

I guess so, I've just been wailing on these loving things all game with various weapons and I expected one of them would be more effective than others but I guess these guys are just the kind of assholes that can kill you dead superfast as well as take forever to kill.

Xvimic
Sep 22, 2007

Meow...
Ended up beating this game miraculously at exactly 50 hours played and exactly level 100.

Of course on Xbox, I can't find any PvP or multiplayer what-so-ever and I have my dude pretty pimped out (beat the end boss on the first try) so I guess I'm done for awhile until there are more people around at that level.

Had a blast, the game totally lived up to expectations. The ending I got though was:

:eng101:Please don't read this spoiler unless you want one of the endings....spoiled.

really loving pathetic, you basically see a 15 second clip of your dude engulfed in flames, talk about anti-climatic.

Has anyone playing on Xbox had any luck with PvP post lvl 50?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

katkillad2 posted:

I'm just starting new game+ and I just one shot the taurus boss... Great Club+15 with gold pine resin and dropped off the top of the tower :black101:

Curious about what the gently caress just happened in the ending:My guy reached for the bonfire and flames went through him. I realize there's probably 1 single page full of dialogue/story for this game, but what the hell? Did I become a firekeeper? If so what the hell does that even mean? I was expecting a cutscene or something even if it was as cryptic as everything else in the game. Also, the ending I got was the "To link the fire" ending, do I have to do anything special to unlock the other ending?

You brought about a new age of fire and drove away the demons/broke the undead curse by rekindling the first flame. You do this because you're *~The Chosen One~*. The other ending is just you walking out the door instead of lighting the flame, the implication being you're King poo poo now because you killed all the strongest dudes in the world so you can do what the gently caress you want.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just beat Gaping Dragon and Quelaag. About where should I go next? Darkroot Basin?

Xvimic
Sep 22, 2007

Meow...

Hakkesshu posted:

I just beat Gaping Dragon and Quelaag. About where should I go next? Darkroot Basin?

Yeah, I went to Sen's fortress though because I had already done Darkroot. Assuming you rang the bell after Quelaag second, if not go ring the other bell.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Professor Latency posted:

Like seriously.

Halberds and Bec de Corbins are pretty spiffy too, but spears were definitely top dog for a few millennia with good reason.

They might've changed the Mirdan Hammer/Lucerne attack animations (like the halberd, the normal one-handed strike is now much better), but the strikes now look about ten times more vicious than the Demon's Souls weapon. You slam that fucker down on some heads with authority. :black101:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Megasabin posted:

Since a lot of people seem to be having trouble with this game I'm going to share something I've discovered that I don't really see anyone else utilizing at all. The Giant club is the best PvE weapon in the game. It's Dark soul's version of Demon Soul's Meat Cleaver. It makes the game pretty drat easy. I've beaten almost every boss in the game so far in 1-2 tries including beating Ornstein and Smough on the first go without having seen the fight beforehand, and it's all because of this weapon.

The reason it's good is because it has great base damage, a B-scaling in strength, has a RIDICULOUS range, and most importantly it's forward-R2 jumping attack is broken good. What I mean by that is that the forward-R2 jumping attack comes out incredibly fast, covers a large distance, interrupts most enemy attack animations including bosses, and completely negates any disadvantage to using this "slow" weapon. The distance this attack covers is so large you can usually completely keep out of a bosses hitbox, use it as a counter-attack, land a hit and back away without taking any damage from the boss.

I picked up the item in Blight Town and upgraded it at a normal rate as I went throughout the game. Doing this as I was routinely one-shotting enemies with forward-R2 attack no matter what area I was in. Just using the regular forward attack put Ornstein into stun-lock and killed him in about 4 consecutive hits.

If you want to try this weapon you can grab it at the bottom of Blight Town. It's in the swamp area, all the way to the left. You need to fight two rock throwing trolls who are guarding it.

Haha yeah, I specifically upgraded it because it seemed like the only weapon that had any decent scaling with STR, but I didn't started using this until Anor Londo when I was getting annoyed with the Giant Guards, a +10 Giant Club killed them in two hits. I think I'll be using it more often.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Quick question about boss soul items: does it matter what the base item is? I.E. if I wanted to make a shield would a cracked wooden shield give the same results as an eagle greatshield? Getting items to +10 isn't an issue, I just don't wanna lose a kick-rear end item to gain an unknown.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

Quick question about boss soul items: does it matter what the base item is? I.E. if I wanted to make a shield would a cracked wooden shield give the same results as an eagle greatshield? Getting items to +10 isn't an issue, I just don't wanna lose a kick-rear end item to gain an unknown.

No, the boss items have set stats no matter what.

Just make sure what you're upgrading is able to be ascended, because it would really suck to spend all those souls for, basically, nothing.

Xvimic
Sep 22, 2007

Meow...

MadJackMcJack posted:

It matters in the sense that certain items require you to use certain types of base items. Like the Moonhorn butterfly spear item is only going to work if you use a spear or a few specific thrusting weapons.

It doesn't matter in the sense that a better spear in said example would result in a better version of the butterfly spear. Any old spear upgraded to 10 is going to create exactly the same butterfly spear, once you craft the boss item.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I have a couple questions about O&S:

1) I heard you can get bosses armors from a merchant - where? And to get Ornstein's one, he's to die last right?

2) Smough by himself is easy even with the thunder hammer, but how do I deal with Super Ornstein's once Smough is down? Ranged? Whenever I get close to hit him he does the AoE butt stomp.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I invaded a guy using some shield that shot air waves or something at me? whatever it was, it killed me in a single hit.

There seems to be a whole lot of one-shot one-kill poo poo online, and yet every time I attack anyone it barely scratches them. Maybe it's my 20 vitality?

defult
Oct 19, 2007
The guide has finaly arrived in the UK and its worth every penny! Stat tables, maps, nice art, its really well put together with the only problems ive noticed skimming through it being DX:HR on the back and the curse stuff they patched post-printing.

Through out my 102 hours playing (damm, i need a proper job) there have been only two 'major' PvE things that need fixing. First being unable to drop Dried Finger wich i understand was broken in their last patch. The second being undead dragon in the painted world 'blocking' the path when dead. I Dont think the jump attack is ment to dislodge it. Now i did do it, but turned around and went another way to get to that bottom path. So i think its not ment to glitch out of the way, duno really, either way something aint quite right

Ive Solo'd almost every boss with just shield and a good weapon, sometimes bow. Ive done good number of invasions which have mostly been great (stop turning off your system you bastards!). I've summoned once for a boss and it worked fine for demon centiped. Gravelord seems to work but has a very telling lack of feedback.

That there's a spell to show more messages, makes me think that From are probaly sitting in there office laughing at all our tears. Still ive enjoyed almost every moment the game has given megently caress you Bed of Chaos, gently caress you!

Too NG+! :black101:

e:spelling
second edit; Bland provided soruce :), http://twitter.com/#/senden_ogu, edited & deleted appropriate speculation

defult fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Toiwat posted:

I have a couple questions about O&S:

1) I heard you can get bosses armors from a merchant - where? And to get Ornstein's one, he's to die last right?

The merchant from the depths should have moved to the lower part of the aqueducts near Firelink Shrine, you'll either need to jump on to it or fall to the left of the stairs to reach him. He sells those.

• Locked thread