Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

neckbeard posted:

Just got back from seeing Opeth live for the first time, and it was awesome. Setlist was a bit more mellow than what I was hoping for, but was still a great show. I don't think I've ever seen a band that has as much fun playing live as they do.

Also, this:

Dude was rocking that wheelchair in the pit the whole show

Why the gently caress was there a pit? Their setlist doesn't call for one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

To hell with the setlist! If a guy in a wheelchair wants to pit, then you make drat sure he can pit!

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

The new Myrath album is out today, and it owns. If you enjoy progressive metal you owe you self to pick it up, the blending of mediterranean/arabian music with Symphony X style prog is truly fantastic.

Myrath - Requiem For A Goodbye

Myrath - Time To Grow

Wheelchair dude is pretty :3: glad he enjoyed himself.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Why the gently caress was there a pit? Their setlist doesn't call for one?

I really can't explain that, the heaviest song they played was Porcelain Heart, which Mikael introduced by telling us "I can't remember what this song is about... probably death. Or Satan". Every time the music got a bit heavy this incoherent mess broke out with an endless stream of people falling to the ground, needing to picked up, the most I've ever seen.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

See, whenever I saw Opeth in Atlanta a few weeks ago, there was never a pit that broke out. The only really notable thing was the crowdsurfing guy eating it hard on the stage and Mikael laughing for like 5 minutes while trying to sing Hex Omega. It was pretty awesome though, he had to keep telling the band to play the verse while he attempted to regain his composure.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I saw Opeth a few years ago, and they played stuff like Baying of the Hounds and The Moor and I don't recall anyone moshing at all. Weird. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Speaking of Opeth, I went to see them the other night and caught the tail end of Katatonia's set. Thought it was pretty good but never really listened to them before. Where should I start?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Speaking of Opeth, I went to see them the other night and caught the tail end of Katatonia's set. Thought it was pretty good but never really listened to them before. Where should I start?

They've had a few different 'sounds'. Their latest sound is epitomised by 'The Great Cold Distance', which is definitely worth checking out.

Before that stage they were depressive rock, the best album of which, I think, was 'Discouraged Ones'.

And before THAT they were doom metal - with Mike Akerfeldt on vocals for one album, Brave Murder Day, which is just an incredible record from start to finish.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

neckbeard posted:

This picture is pretty much the epitome of a metal show, and that is awesome. All this heavy, angry sounding music, but (usually) the coolest, most considerate people just rocking out and having a great time.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I have no idea if this is where Cynic goes. But Cynic used to be metal and is still loving sweet and is releasing a new album. So far, they've released a preview here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qZyf9VHnME&sns=fb

and the title track off the album

http://www.season-of-mist.com/common/downloads/cynic/Cynic-Carbon-Based-Anatomy.mp3

Im liking what I hear.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Paul's a real passionate kind of dude. That type of genuine attitude makes for some nice original tunes. Look forward to it.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Cold Day posted:

For anyone in Melbourne, prepare your anus.

It is a dream come true! Been on a high since Saturday!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
new animals as leaders leaked today :swoon:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

nerve posted:

This is amazing news.

And this is an amazing album.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I went to the Agalloch show in Seattle over the weekend. It was absolutely amazing and my ears have been broken since. I was really impressed with the atmosphere they made and quality of playing. It was a 90 minutes set with a mix from all their albums. I'd like to see them again.

Atriarch played before them and were pretty interesting. The guitarist has a huge sound that was incredible when he was sound testing. I wish I knew what his rig setup was. I didn't check it out soon enough. It reminded me of Evoken.

Get to see Katatonia/Opeth this weekend followed by Devin Townsend the weekend after that. Though a bit from their metal style, I still love their live performances.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

Defiant Sally posted:

I have no idea if this is where Cynic goes. But Cynic used to be metal and is still loving sweet and is releasing a new album. So far, they've released a preview here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qZyf9VHnME&sns=fb

and the title track off the album

http://www.season-of-mist.com/common/downloads/cynic/Cynic-Carbon-Based-Anatomy.mp3

Im liking what I hear.

There will probably a debate on how "metal" this is but if the songwriting remains this strong for the rest of the album, then who cares? I'm really looking forward to the new album.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

neckbeard posted:

Dude was rocking that wheelchair in the pit the whole show

gently caress, I thought it sucked getting kicked in the head by regular crowd surfers...

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

hellocruelworld posted:

There will probably a debate on how "metal" this is but if the songwriting remains this strong for the rest of the album, then who cares? I'm really looking forward to the new album.

Also Malone is on bass again so :pcgaming:

Femme by Force
Nov 10, 2004
Each individual sees a different reality.

Defiant Sally posted:

I have no idea if this is where Cynic goes. But Cynic used to be metal and is still loving sweet and is releasing a new album. So far, they've released...

...the title track off the album

I listened to it earlier and was pleased with what I heard. They've taken their songwriting into a great direction. I had stopped thinking about Cynic until listening to Gorod's cover of "Textures". It's nice to know that they (Cynic) will be putting out more material.

I'm hoping that when Opeth play in San Francisco this weekend, they'll play a varied set. If no one starts moshing, even in jest, I'll be surprised.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Got most of Enslaved to sign a dollar bill. :c00lbert:

"Nothing like mixing capitalism and metal"
-Ivar

They loving killed it tonight.

Femme by Force posted:

I'm hoping that when Opeth play in San Francisco this weekend, they'll play a varied set. If no one starts moshing, even in jest, I'll be surprised.

Too bad it's an all mellow Opeth set.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm curious as to what this'll do to Opeth's career. Heritage has recieved pretty mixed results and a lot of people aren't gonna be happy with their recent setlists. I think they've got enough of a heritage (hurrr) for it to not affect them that much...but still.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
So I've been away for a while, and upon coming back to the East Coast, I read an article (or a brief mention) that Wolves in the Throne Room "call it quits".

Link for reference :
http://www.terrorizermagazine.bigcartel.com/product/terrorizer-214-opeth-mastodon-wolves-in-the-throne-room-sick-sounds-8-with-evile

Did they actually disband?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Femme by Force posted:

I listened to it earlier and was pleased with what I heard. They've taken their songwriting into a great direction. I had stopped thinking about Cynic until listening to Gorod's cover of "Textures". It's nice to know that they (Cynic) will be putting out more material.

What I like about Cynic is that no matter how much different they are now from Focus, it still sounds like Cynic.

Also I had no idea Gorod had covered Textures. This is great.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm curious as to what this'll do to Opeth's career. Heritage has recieved pretty mixed results and a lot of people aren't gonna be happy with their recent setlists. I think they've got enough of a heritage (hurrr) for it to not affect them that much...but still.

I dont think it'll have much an impact. Opeth probably wont go back to their death metal roots but I cant see them churning out luke warm prog rock for more than one more album. If they do it again, hopefully it'll be a little more refined and cohesive.

On a completely unrelated note: The new Insomnium album is absolutely loving fantastic. Definitely on par if not better than anything they've released to date in my opinion. I hope these guys stick around for a long time.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Defiant Sally posted:

What I like about Cynic is that no matter how much different they are now from Focus, it still sounds like Cynic.
Only because Malone, Reinert and Masvidal already did all these things in Aeon Spoke and Gordian Knot. Honestly, this sounds more like a mashup of those two bands than Cynic, with a little bit of Pure Reason Revolution thrown in for reasons I don't totally understand.

I'm still saying it's great, by the way. :)

Edit: And Sean Reinert always sounded a lot like Bill Bruford, but holy crap this track

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 13, 2011

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

MoreMetalBrian posted:

So I've been away for a while, and upon coming back to the East Coast, I read an article (or a brief mention) that Wolves in the Throne Room "call it quits".

Link for reference :
http://www.terrorizermagazine.bigcartel.com/product/terrorizer-214-opeth-mastodon-wolves-in-the-throne-room-sick-sounds-8-with-evile

Did they actually disband?

Think this has been addressed already in this thread (or maybe in the black metal one? Eh) but from what I gather, the recording entity known as WITTR will cease to exist after this tour (they're playing London next Friday - holy heck, last chance ever to see them?!), but the individual members of the band will carry on recording music in other forms. The idea is that they've completed the 'trilogy' of albums that began with Two Hunters, as Celestial Lineage is kind of a fulfilment of TH.

It's sad but I guess it fits in with their ideology - organic things eventually die, that kind of thing. I'll miss them, though.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Think this has been addressed already in this thread (or maybe in the black metal one? Eh) but from what I gather, the recording entity known as WITTR will cease to exist after this tour (they're playing London next Friday - holy heck, last chance ever to see them?!), but the individual members of the band will carry on recording music in other forms. The idea is that they've completed the 'trilogy' of albums that began with Two Hunters, as Celestial Lineage is kind of a fulfilment of TH.

It's sad but I guess it fits in with their ideology - organic things eventually die, that kind of thing. I'll miss them, though.

Without saying too much, WITTR should be around til at least this upcoming winter ;)

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Celestial Lineage is my favorite album by them, so it's a pretty high note to go out on.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Roasted Donut posted:

Celestial Lineage is my favorite album by them, so it's a pretty high note to go out on.

I like the album a lot, but after listening to nothing but down tuned bass heavy doom for months and then going to the very light almost airy production was jarring for me. I can't even pick out a bass guitar and when I saw them last month I don't even remember seeing a bassist.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

I like Lineage a lot, but I'm still not sure how to stack it up against the other WITTR albums. It feels like a completely different journey to me - the whole album has a very positive air about it. There's something almost hopeful about the wall of sound they manage to conjure.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Objurium posted:

Without saying too much, WITTR should be around til at least this upcoming winter ;)

What

Go on, say too much.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I really hope this means they'll have a slot at Roadburn. I really want to go next year and I think if it's my last chance to see WITTR then I will simply have to!

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Gojira vs Gigan. Who wins?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Gigan because Gojira is garbage

Femme by Force
Nov 10, 2004
Each individual sees a different reality.

nerve posted:

Their sound on their first album was way too dependent on -core elements. It's still quite good. Here's to hoping this new one is more enjoyable for those of us who don't enjoy -core.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Too bad it's an all mellow Opeth set.

I haven't looked at the setlist (I never do because that ruins part of the fun of going to live performances that aren't Classical or Jazz). There is still potential for mellow songs from throughout the material Opeth has put out in the last 10 years, which is varied.

Defiant Sally posted:

Also I had no idea Gorod had covered Textures. This is great.

Gorod released an EP earlier this year which features their interpretation of "Textures". Every song is quite excellent.

No one. Music isn't a competition.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Femme by Force posted:

Their sound on their first album was way too dependent on -core elements. It's still quite good. Here's to hoping this new one is more enjoyable for those of us who don't enjoy -core.

hm, can't say i agree with that at all but i hope you enjoy the new one, i think it's great :]

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Femme by Force posted:

Where the gently caress have you been this past year or so?

Having just watched Gigan absolutely destroy last night, I'd say they win. Gojira is pretty sweet, too. But until I see them live, Gigan is the champion. :v:

I went and saw the Gigan, Jungle Rot, and Immolation tour last night and god drat was that a fun show. Every band that showed up (including the local support) was awesome and spot-on. I think Gigan really stole the show, as they played about four songs back-to-back simultaneously and just went nuts. Plus they came out with this electromagnetic antenna that would make this flying saucer-like squeeling noise whenever something would come within range of it and incorporated that and a sampler into their set. It was quite something to behold.

If you get a chance to see Gigan or Immolation, seriously, go see them. Plus you get three free EPs from Immolation, Wormrot and Enslaved. Can't go wrong with that.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Femme by Force posted:

Every single Metal scene ever has been largely fueled by competition. That's how the Slayers, Morbid Angels, Darkthrones, etc all became the trend setters in their eras and genres. They rose above their peers by making better music and being chosen by their scenes and the traders. That's why Slayer became the legends and Attitude Adjustment didn't. It's only natural to measure yourself up against others and try to exceed them, especially in a group setting filled with teenaged and young adult males.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

RHTITE posted:

Every single Metal scene ever has been largely fueled by competition. That's how the Slayers, Morbid Angels, Darkthrones, etc all became the trend setters in their eras and genres. They rose above their peers by making better music and being chosen by their scenes and the traders. That's why Slayer became the legends and Attitude Adjustment didn't. It's only natural to measure yourself up against others and try to exceed them, especially in a group setting filled with teenaged and young adult males.

You are aware that there are bands who do not care about any type of commercial success or being trend setters, right? Not everything has to be in the context of "we're better" or "you're worse". To me, that takes away the entire spirit of heavy metal as a whole, anyway. It was meant to be a rebellion against the mainstream, especially grindcore with how it has taken a stance with it being "anti-music" in some respects.

Not everything needs to be a competition. Can't a group of people get together and play some tunes with another group of people who do the same thing and not have to say "we're better than you"? The answer is yes. Will you see those bands on Headbangers Ball and on the cover of Revolver? No.

Also, does anybody have a clue why iTunes is recommending Disturbed to me because I like Exhumed? Those two aren't even comparable other than they both play instruments and can breathe.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 15, 2011

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Turk February posted:

Also, does anybody have a clue why iTunes is recommending Disturbed to me because I like Exhumed? Those two aren't even comparable other than they both play instruments and can breathe.

The same people that had them and Godsmack headline Mayhem over Megadeth and Machine Head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Turk February posted:

You are aware that there are bands who do not care about any type of commercial success or being trend setters, right? Not everything has to be in the context of "we're better" or "you're worse". To me, that takes away the entire spirit of heavy metal as a whole, anyway. It was meant to be a rebellion against the mainstream, especially grindcore with how it has taken a stance with it being "anti-music" in some respects.

Not everything needs to be a competition. Can't a group of people get together and play some tunes with another group of people who do the same thing and not have to say "we're better than you"? The answer is yes. Will you see those bands on Headbangers Ball and on the cover of Revolver? No.

The only band I've ever heard of that outright is trying to be the trend setter is Liturgy, due to that goofy manifesto their member wrote up. Bands are simply selected due to people recognizing their quality. As to the rest of it, I think it's something that just happens. Nobody formally declares war on the other bands in the scene, unless they've been shunned, but from experience in several bands, there's always an undercurrent of things like "I just saw XXXXX practicing some new songs, they're fuckin brutal. We gotta step it up" or "holy poo poo the drumming on the new XXXXXX demo is crazy, but I think I can go faster". It's not like there's a city full of bands looking sideways at each other.

The only scene that came close to that, I think, is the first Norwegian Black Metal scene, what with shows being bombed and such.

RHTITE fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 16, 2011