Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Knuc If U Buck posted:

My Courier had an Int of 3 and was constantly drunk & high. I don't think going East would have made him gaf about creating nations and philosophizing.

Yeah I found it jarring with some dude waxing philosophical about my impact on the universe before dropping a fucktonne of buffout and drinks six litres of whiskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Hank Morgan posted:

The guy that sends a loving nuclear detonator in the post to a town built on top of hundreds of un-launched nukes is the guy I really want to track across the wasteland for a climatic showdown.

I think Ulysses said it was a total accident and nobody knew what it was or what it'd do.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I started my melee character and got to Primm. Thought I'd go a different route and compliment the Legion guy on how efficient Legion Justice is. After I did my thing in Primm I ran to that NCR fort on the hilltop to the west. When I got there, one of the dialog options was "Ave Caesar!"

I... I clicked it... And now everyone Mojave Outpost is dead... :ohdear:

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Dush posted:

I think Ulysses said it was a total accident and nobody knew what it was or what it'd do.

Shooting the kind of dickhead who'd dig up a mysterious Old World superweapon the Enclave were screwing with and then activate it would be pretty goddamn satisfying though. Killing yet another Legionary nutter before he can exposition some more about your big convoluted backstory you never experienced, IDK man

I still think the Divide should have been what happened when the Boomers got their bomber though so what do I know.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 14, 2011

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Gameplay related: are some things just not possible to steal? I wanted Big Boomer from Old Lady Gibson, and so I snuck into her shack while she was asleep and no dogs were around her, and while I could successfully steal the ammo to make her unequip it, it seemed impossible to take the gun itself. I only had a Sneak of like 32 so I thought that might be it, but even with a stealth boy and savescumming like twenty times, it didn't happen.

I was playing Legion anyway so in the end I just sneak attacked her and took it, but still kind of annoying.

randombattle posted:

:rant:

Nice, but I think you got a couple things wrong: someone else already mentioned that Ulysses was actually from the East, but I also don't think we know specifically that it was the NCR that sent the package that hosed up the Divide so badly. I think the only reason he's launching nukes at the NCR at all is because the Courier is from there.

Of course, I could be wrong, I've only played through it once :ohdear:

Eiba posted:

I was going to say that there was no Navarro ED-E, and that ED-E was from DC but... looking it up, apparently Chris Avellone himself confirmed that the package from Navarro was indeed... ED-E. What the heck? How does that possibly work?

I think its that the original ED-E, the one sitting on Johnson Nash's counter, is from DC. The duplicate in the Divide is the package from Navarro that activated the warheads, but when you turn it on it remotely scans and then copies your ED-E's files/personality/etc. The reason its more chipper and helpful is that the original was shot to poo poo by raiders and lost the ability to access most of that.

So yeah, kind of confusing, but I think it makes sense in the end. And on a sidenote, I love that Avellone decided to give a long, tortured backstory to one of those random Enclave nerds I either shot, vaporized, or Deathclaw-gauntlet-stabbed to death at Adams Air Force Base in Fallout 3. Sorry, Whitley!

quote:

It's got a lot of elements of an interesting story... I just wish it was more coherent. Like apparently Ulysses is still looking for a future when he was in the Big MT and talked with Christine about the Brotherhood... but that's long after the Divide was destroyed and broke Ulysses. And how did Christine and Dog/God hear of the battle of the Divide in the ending slides? It wasn't exactly a big deal to anyone else, at least if you defused the bombs like I did. And in what way were we "each bearing a message for the other"?

I almost get the impression that the story of Lonesome Road wasn't finalized when they were still dropping hints about it. It's just kind of... awkward.

Yeah, this part I'm not so sure links up. From what you hear of him in Big MT he seemed like some super-confident badass, all saving Christine, thwarting Elijah, and bringing the brains to their knees with his single question.

But in the Divide, his recordings suggest that he's some super-bitter nihilist whose obsession with you takes front and center and drat everything else. He also seemed way more awed by the Think Tank.

As for all the allusions to it in Dead Money, I think they still work. The "bearing a message for each other" bit can be seen as the way you and him either challenge each other with opposite view points that will decide the Mojave's fate, or as the way you and him fought to the death in a nuclear bomb temple.

As for it becoming so huge legend, I could see that happening easily if you launched a bomb at NCR/Legion/both, but even if you didn't, the Courier is already becoming kind of notorious with their adventures in the Mojave, and after the battle of Hoover Dam, whichever faction you go with makes you pretty legendary. It makes sense that people would find out about some of the other crazy poo poo that went down involving you after that

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

SynthOrange posted:

I am not going to deny a man that can quote scripture and Boney M what he wants.

So I'm tooling around in the Sorrow's camp. The Burned Man sprints up to me and says

The next thing I see:

:stare:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What's the quickest way to start using thrown or projectile explosives as after Goodsprings, besides killing powder gangers for their TNT?

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

SpaceMost posted:

What's the quickest way to start using thrown or projectile explosives as after Goodsprings, besides killing powder gangers for their TNT?

Stealthboy up past the quarry to Vegas, go to the boomers?

Or maybe you can stealthboy through Dead Wind Cavern and get mercy?

Failing that I think there's a viper on the road from Nipton to Wolfhorn Ranch that usually has a grenade rifle.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SpaceMost posted:

I started my melee character and got to Primm. Thought I'd go a different route and compliment the Legion guy on how efficient Legion Justice is. After I did my thing in Primm I ran to that NCR fort on the hilltop to the west. When I got there, one of the dialog options was "Ave Caesar!"

I... I clicked it... And now everyone Mojave Outpost is dead... :ohdear:

I did this. Murdered everyone outside. I go in to finish them off...

... And get asked if I'm a citizen, caravan, or other. I say courier, repair my gear, sell all the NCR equipment to the NCR guy, then left. Those walls must be sound-proof and I just happen to find all this gear somewhere in the desert! Just don't go outside or anything

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Astroturf Man posted:

Failing that I think there's a viper on the road from Nipton to Wolfhorn Ranch that usually has a grenade rifle.

There's one of them, and there's another group of Vipers next to a railway tunnel between the Dead Wind Cavern and Novac that usually spawns a guy with a grenade rifle and some ammo, which is quite useful if you set up your room at Novac early and manually travel past there frequently.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I did this. Murdered everyone outside. I go in to finish them off...

... And get asked if I'm a citizen, caravan, or other. I say courier, repair my gear, sell all the NCR equipment to the NCR guy, then left. Those walls must be sound-proof and I just happen to find all this gear somewhere in the desert! Just don't go outside or anything

"Clearly the screams outside have nothing to do with this friendly courier chap. And I'm absolutely sure there is no need to check"

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
I want a mod where AVE CAESAR <attack> is an available response to every conversation not with Caesar personally

Laniusmod.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Burning Mustache posted:

There's one of them, and there's another group of Vipers next to a railway tunnel between the Dead Wind Cavern and Novac that usually spawns a guy with a grenade rifle and some ammo, which is quite useful if you set up your room at Novac early and manually travel past there frequently.

Sadly at higher levels most of the vipers/jackals seem to have disappeared. I wanted to herd thirty of them into a hut and farm them for egg timers and drugs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SpaceMost posted:

Stealth through desthclaw highway, hit Vegas and hit Boomers. Do the generator first and pick up Thump Thump.

This also lets you snag 4 globes (cemetery, lucky 38, mormon fort, boomer's base) so that's 8k for ammo and repairs.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 14, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Eiba posted:

I almost get the impression that the story of Lonesome Road wasn't finalized when they were still dropping hints about it. It's just kind of... awkward.

This all reminds me of Lost. When Lost ended, I got the distinct feeling that nobody had ever figured out how to end it properly. The momentum of the gonzo plot got away from its creators, and no amount of explaining could ever corral it.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Ok, so I got this:

*Riot Shotgun for close encounters
*Automatic Rifle for "spray" situations
*Oh, Baby and Pushy if I run out of ammo/want to knockdown people easily
*Medicine Stick for long range shooting
*Esther, when I want blow poo poo up

Best build, or bestest build? :smug:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

boo_radley posted:

So I'm tooling around in the Sorrow's camp. The Burned Man sprints up to me and says

Even in screenshots I hear his voice. Oh Joshua. :allears:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

V!ntar posted:

Ok, so I got this:

Replace the Riot Shotgun with Esther loaded with Tiny Tots and you're golden. In fact, Esther with Tiny Tots is the best weapon in every situation.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

SpaceMost posted:

If you've got Gun Runner's Arsenal, you can make your own in bulk starting at level 6. Three Microfusion Cells nets you a big, splashy pseudo-plasma grenade, while a tin grenade - a tin can, duct tape, and pistol powder - is better than dynamite and much cheaper than the real thing.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Okay, I was going to do the quest Birds of a Feather. Should I let them kill cassedy? or save her?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bash Ironfist posted:

Okay, I was going to do the quest Birds of a Feather. Should I let them kill cassedy? or save her?

Why don't you choose!

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

V!ntar posted:

Ok, so I got this:

Ok, so I got this:

*Gatling Laser for close encounters
*Gatling Laser for "spray" situations
*Vigilant Recycler if I run out of ammo
*Gatling Laser for long range shooting
*Gatling Laser with Meltdown, when I want blow poo poo up

Best build, or bestest build? :smuggo:

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
The Van Graffs don't really sell anything you can't get elsewhere, if that's what you're worried about.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Ok, so I got this:

*Gatling Laser for close encounters
*Gatling Laser for "spray" situations
*Vigilant Recycler if I run out of ammo
*Gatling Laser for long range shooting
*Gatling Laser with Meltdown, when I want blow poo poo up

Best build, or bestest build? :smuggo:

A lot better than his but the gatling laser can be crummy against enemies with really high DT.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

The Van Graffs don't really sell anything you can't get elsewhere, if that's what you're worried about.

Also if you have GRA then the Gun Runners sell energy poo poo if you kill them so go hog wild.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Plus her dad was quite the bad rear end in Fallout 2. So kill those Silver Rush fuckers and steal their poo poo.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Is there a mod that makes the Valence headgear from OWB stop removing your hair? Can't seem to find anything but I am betting its out there.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

SpaceMost posted:

I almost forgot something - by the Canyon Wreckage just outside of Primm (where you go to get to the Divide), there's an overturned trailer/jailer truck with a crate containing around ten frag grenades. All totaled it's over 1,00 caps worth of merchandise.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Also if you have GRA then the Gun Runners sell energy poo poo if you kill them so go hog wild.
The Gun Runners end up killing them if you don't, so have some fun! I recommend using a Fat Man (or Esther) from the top of the blasted building across the street on the doorman. :v:

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 31, 2017

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
If you don't want to massacre Mojave Station and still get your Legion on, wait for Sergeant Whosis to wander away from the main buildings a bit, and only then report on Nipton. Be stealthy when you whack him after "Caesar Rules! <air guitar>", and you won't aggro the rest of the place.

I've sneakily farmed the place for loot/XP in previous runs - inside or outside, sneak one-shot headshots are the trick. The Ranger CO and Major Sweetcheeks (Confimed Bachelor :pervert:) in the HQ have ridiculous Spotting, and if Cass is hanging around the bar she'll dime you out if she sees. However, you can happily murder every unnamed NPC there every three days and no one will be the wiser.

(I do recommend Ratslayer at a minimum, however; those piddly ballcaps/scarfs/goggles are enough to make silenced .22s problematic. :ninja:)

McCarran is better for total bodycount (loot and XP-wise), but it's spread all over the drat place, which makes overloaded-trudging into an all-day chore. And I don't even want to *think* about trying to OCD through the Dam.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

50 Foot Ant posted:

Gobi Sniper Rifle for when I want to snipe
Gobi Sniper Rifle for when they're getting close
Bloody Mess and the Gobi Sniper Rifle for when I want to blow them up
Boone and the Gobi Sniper Rifle for when I have to spray and pray
Gobi Sniper Rifle for depopulation

I've got a great build so far:

Two-Step Goodbye for when I want to snipe
Two-Step Goodbye for when they're getting close
Two-Step Goodbye for when I want to blow them up
Two-Step Goodbye for when I have to spray and pray
Two-Step Goodbye for depopulation

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

hairrorist posted:

Is there a mod that makes the Valence headgear from OWB stop removing your hair? Can't seem to find anything but I am betting its out there.

Old World Blues Tweaks. Just remember to activate either the Valence Mask or Valence Extra esp, never both.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
I'm lugging around:

A Light Shining in Darkness
Annabelle
A shitload of C4
Chainsaw
CSZ7 Avenger
Elijah's Advanced LAER
Elijah's Jury Rigged Tesla Cannon
FIDO
Esther
Flamer
Grenade Launcher
Grenade Machinegun
Holorifle
Katana
Mysterious Magnum
A lifetime supply of Nuka Grenades
Q-35 Matter Modulator
Ranger Sequoia
Riot Shotgun
The Droog (from NV Bounties)
The Penetrator (NV Bounties again)

You might say that I am 'indecisive'.

I just wish there were more different graphical death effects to take advantage of the variety of weapons in the game.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
8 rifles, 4 pistols ATM, and basically every other weapon in the game either stashed in ED-E or the Novac hotel

The real bitch of it is four of those eight rifles are lever-actions and three are scoped sniper rifles. This is getting silly.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Did Fallout start downloading an update yesterday for anybody else who has it on Steam? I can't find anything about it online, and it's really pissing me off, my internet connection is slow and it looks like I won't be able to play this weekend as it updates the whole 9GB.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
At the moment I have way too many weapons - This Machine, Elijah's LAER, Christine's sniper rifle, the Holorifle, a bear trap fist, a gauss rifle, a .45 pistol and She's Embrace (in the middle of Honest Hearts right now). On top of that I usually lug around the Cram Opener and Paladin Toaster, but I dumped them for now. Honestly I could drop everything but This Machine, the Holorifle and the LAER and be quite happy, but I like the variety. :3: Everything else is either in a suitcase in Novac or on display in my suite.

Speaking of Honest Hearts, is anything missable? I know you can go back after you're done, but from what I've heard everyone disappears. I just dropped off some supplies to Daniel and now I'm running errands for him with Waking Cloud. I miss Follows-Chalk :(

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

eating only apples posted:

Speaking of Honest Hearts, is anything missable? I know you can go back after you're done, but from what I've heard everyone disappears. I just dropped off some supplies to Daniel and now I'm running errands for him with Waking Cloud. I miss Follows-Chalk :(

You get everything unique from the people in a chest at the end and can return to Zion itself to get anything you want from there.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I usually go around with one pistol/two rifles or two pistols/one rifle plus a shotgun and a melee weapon :colbert:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

immortal flow posted:

I'm lugging around:

A Light Shining in Darkness
Annabelle
A shitload of C4
Chainsaw
CSZ7 Avenger
Elijah's Advanced LAER
Elijah's Jury Rigged Tesla Cannon
FIDO
Esther
Flamer
Grenade Launcher
Grenade Machinegun
Holorifle
Katana
Mysterious Magnum
A lifetime supply of Nuka Grenades
Q-35 Matter Modulator
Ranger Sequoia
Riot Shotgun
The Droog (from NV Bounties)
The Penetrator (NV Bounties again)

You might say that I am 'indecisive'.

I just wish there were more different graphical death effects to take advantage of the variety of weapons in the game.

You're that guy who asks for a weight removal mod every time a new game comes out with an encumbrance system aren't you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I only use one gun. The experimental gun you find in vault 21, with the plants. I use that, I have maxed out science skill, 90 energy weapon skill, and damaging corona thing. Anyone who doesn't immediately melt into goo dies from his friend next to him exploding into goo. :colbert:

Science, motherfuckers! It works!