Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FitFortDanga posted:

New hint on Facebook for Friday's announcements seems to indicate that Y Tu Mama Tambien will be one of the titles.

Correction: it's Moment of Truth, which IIRC was already deduced from an earlier hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
What is Crazy Eights?
I feel surrounded on all sides, top and bottom, by this gang. Some serious looking dudes.

Rick Deckard fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 13, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's the Cinema Discusso gangtag.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Twitter: "We're letting a giant cat out of the bag today..."

e: two of the announcements have art already: spines 593 and 595

e2: 594 (!!!)

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 14, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

CriterionCast's tweets suggest they're also announcing Godzilla and a Gorin Eclipse set.

Discussion at cf.org suggests that the following are confirmed as future releases:

Harld and Maude
The Apu Trilogy
Anatomy of a Murder
Shallow Grave

Hollis Frampton set
more Godard
the next Chaplin is Gold Rush
something from the Dardennes (probably La Promesse)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

a Gorin Eclipse set

The Southern California trilogy?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

CriterionCast's tweets suggest they're also announcing Godzilla and a Gorin Eclipse set.

Discussion at cf.org suggests that the following are confirmed as future releases:

[b]
more Godard

Cool, hopefully it's une femme est une femme.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The DVD is already pretty good. Personally, I'm hoping for either Le Petit Soldat or Les Carabiniers, because the only releases of those are pretty shoddy.

Or Alphaville on Blu. Actually, I really hope it's Alphaville.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Joe Der Maus posted:

Or Alphaville on Blu. Actually, I really hope it's Alphaville.

Don't get your hopes up - OOP, in with the bunch of StudioCanal titles that went to Lionsgate (to presumably sit, untouched, upon the shelf as with most other things Lionsgate gets the rights to).

Barring the dissolution of the SC/LG deal, the only real hope for an Alphaville Blu-ray is a European release.

Eric WK
Apr 10, 2008

i'm a festival,
i'm a parade.

Yes yes yes.

I'd really like to see Y Tu Mama Tambien finally make it out in January.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lionsgate's treatment of the StudioCanal library has been a complete joke. They're not even importing stuff Optimum is distributing in the UK.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

I agree with this.

Also, I don't know who owns the rights or anything, but I'd probably explode for Weekend to get a release.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's getting a Janus tour, which means a Criterion is probably on the way (at some point; still waiting on Hulot's Holiday).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#593 - BELLE DE JOUR (DVD/BR - Jan 17)

* New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring Michael Wood, author of the BFI Film Classics book Belle de jour
* New video piece featuring writer and sexual-politics activist Susie Bright and film scholar Linda Williams
* New interview with screenwriter Jean-Claude Carrière
* Excerpt from the French television program Cinéma, featuring interviews with Carrière and actress Catherine Deneuve
* Original and American release trailers
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Melissa Anderson and a 1970s interview with director Luis Buñuel

#594 - GODZILLA (BR/2-disc DVD - Jan 24)

* New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary by David Kalat (A Critical History and Filmography of Toho’s Godzilla Series)
* New high-definition digital restoration of Godzilla: King of the Monsters!, Terry Morse’s 1956 reworking of the original, starring Raymond Burr
* Audio commentary for Godzilla: King of the Monsters! by Kalat
* New interviews with actor Akira Takarada (Hideto Ogata), Godzilla performer Haruo Nakajima, and effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Eizo Kaimai
* Interview with legendary Godzilla score composer Akira Ifukube
* Featurette detailing Godzilla’s photographic effects
* New interview with Japanese-film critic Tadao Sato
* The Unluckiest Dragon, an illustrated audio essay featuring historian Greg Pflugfelder describing the tragic fate of the fishing vessel Daigo fukuryu maru, a real-life event that inspired Godzilla
* Theatrical trailers
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic J. Hoberman

#595 - THE MOMENT OF TRUTH (BR/DVD - Jan 24)

* Interview with director Francesco Rosi from 2004
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Peter Matthews

TRAFFIC (Blu-Ray, Jan 17)

* same features as DVD

ECLIPSE SERIES 31: THREE POPULAR FILMS BY JEAN-PIERRE GORIN

* Poto and Cabengo
* Routine Pleasures
* My Crasy Life

My take:

Belle - Definite buy, replacing my old DVD... nice to have a Bunuel with some decent extras

Godzilla - Yeah it's good but I don't need to buy it or even see it again. Skip.

Moment of Truth - Rental.

Traffic - Don't really need to see this again either. Skip.

Gorin - There's a guy on cf.org who's been begging for Criterion to release Gorin for YEARS. I hate that particular guy, but hopefully the movies will be worth watching. Rental.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
I haven't seen Godzilla yet, so I'm happy to see Criterion releasing a remastered version. Little disappointed to not see an Apu Trilogy release, but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
That Belle De Jour cover is excellent. I've never seen it, though. How does it stand in relation to Bunuel's other films? For the record, I've seen Un Chien..., Discreet Charm, and Phantom of Liberty.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Well that'll be the 6th attempt at an HD version of Traffic after the SD-quality HD-DVD and US, Canadian, German and Polish Blu-Ray transfers.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

That Belle De Jour cover is excellent. I've never seen it, though. How does it stand in relation to Bunuel's other films? For the record, I've seen Un Chien..., Discreet Charm, and Phantom of Liberty.

It has a different, more thoughtful and subjective feel, but I love it just as much as the rest. I can see where it would have worked into his influence on David Lynch.

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

I am absolutely in love with the Godzilla cover.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

It's on the experimental side of Buñuel's films, but not as much as the three you mentioned. Closest to Discreet Charm but with a more coherent narrative.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
I am super hype for Godzilla. It makes me wonder how different the picture quality will be from the previous release, especially given that both features are gunna be housed on one blu-ray.

Hopefully this will open up some room for other giant monster films they have like X From Outer Space, and also makes me wonder how many Godzilla films they're actually sitting on.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

That cover is just... tacky.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

penismightier posted:

That cover is just... tacky.

... welcome to the Godzilla franchise?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I am super hype for Godzilla. It makes me wonder how different the picture quality will be from the previous release, especially given that both features are gunna be housed on one blu-ray.

The current Godzilla Blu-Ray is pure poo poo (1080i) and The Killing proved that Criterion can fit two movies on one blu-ray when they want.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Sheldrake posted:

... welcome to the Godzilla franchise?
Nah, I definitely agree with penismightier. It's like one of those minimalist posters where you think that the artist completely missed the point of the film in a rush to act all cool. I really don't think it matches the tone of the film at all. One of the first things I think of when I imagine the destruction in the original film, it's always the dark. I think the same basic art would work a gently caress of a lot better if there was just more negative space:

Same basic cues, but a very different feel.

SubG fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 15, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, it's just not right. It doesn't work as a Godzilla cover because the first movie didn't look anything like that. And even if I give them the benefit of the doubt and figure, okay, maybe they want to grab the feel of the series overall - it doesn't even do that. There's no personality to it at all. It's just a loving mess.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Just switching to grayscale, and not even adjusting brightness/contrast, it already looks 10x better:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

penismightier posted:

Yeah, it's just not right. It doesn't work as a Godzilla cover because the first movie didn't look anything like that. And even if I give them the benefit of the doubt and figure, okay, maybe they want to grab the feel of the series overall - it doesn't even do that. There's no personality to it at all. It's just a loving mess.

Yeah, I see your point and can get behind it. I imagine the design is more for a sales standpoint than one coming right from the film. People picture Godzilla in a mess of flames and debris, and this is a title I'm imagining that Criterion is hoping to get some crossover appeal with. Well, moreso than usual.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Sheldrake posted:

Yeah, I see your point and can get behind it. I imagine the design is more for a sales standpoint than one coming right from the film. People picture Godzilla in a mess of flames and debris, and this is a title I'm imagining that Criterion is hoping to get some crossover appeal with. Well, moreso than usual.

Yeah, I get that, and I figure that's why they're sweating a release of it to begin with, but they could at least do it with a little loving dignity.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

penismightier posted:

Yeah, I get that, and I figure that's why they're sweating a release of it to begin with, but they could at least do it with a little loving dignity.

It might also have something to do with trying to deassociate their release with this (apparently quite subpar) release:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

codyclarke posted:

Just switching to grayscale, and not even adjusting brightness/contrast, it already looks 10x better:

Converting the cover to greyscale calls out one of the weaknesses of doing it in colour in the first place---losing the stark contrast of the original visuals.

I'm not trying to argue that the original film is a monument to cinematography or whatever---although I do think it's a really good film---but one of the things it definitely has going for it, and something that seems to get obscured by Godzilla the pop culture icon, is a very distinctive look and feel. It's too bad to see Criterion contributing to that.

I really don't think it's a big deal. I'm not one of the folks who gets all het up over Criterion cover art. It's more just weird to see them get poo poo like this wrong.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
The cover is definitely more inspired by the image of the Godzilla franchise than anything in the film that started it all.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shallow Grave has been a favorite for a while.

I wish they released a Godzilla Eclipse because my level of seriousness as a completionist is in conflict with my desire to learn Japanese fluently.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

The cover is definitely more inspired by the image of the Godzilla franchise than anything in the film that started it all.

Yea, if they put Megalon (or another goofy villain) in the background of that image it'd fit more.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 15, 2011

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Really wish they'd have used this:

Still, this is a big deal for Criterion. They've been trying to get a "Godzilla" title since the laserdisc days (they were planning to release four of them if I remember correctly), and everyone expected them to put the uncut version on DVD because Rialto re-released it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has Pierrot le fou for $20

Worth getting mainly due to the StudioCanal edition having wrong color timing in spots.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

Worth getting mainly due to the StudioCanal edition having wrong color timing in spots.

Thanks for the heads up.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, this one is out of print, so this is likely the best price you'll find on it possibly ever.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Daveski posted:

Also, this one is out of print, so this is likely the best price you'll find on it possibly ever.

Seriously, I paid 40 bucks for mine.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Never really had an interest in seeing it, but I ordered one because what the hell. Thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's a fun movie for Godard, plus the use of color is incredible. The whole film looks like a comic book. There's also a few hilarious bits like the "re-enactment" of Vietnam, Sam Fuller's cameo, and the scissors shot.