Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Prefect Six posted:

Bottled my Northern Brewer Black IPA and oh man the hop aroma is great. It tastes great too, I'm so excited to drink this beer! Added bonus my wife gave me the green light on a kegging set up. :woop:

Savor it. It seems to vanish every time I have friends over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
So my lady is getting me fresh cranberries from a bog in MA while she's there this weekend for my Cranberry Wheat. Should I be freezing, then thawing them so they are able to leach, or do you think if I just mash them up a bit and toss them in a secondary then rack on top, they'd be all set?

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."
I always hear to freeze them first because it breaks the cell walls, making it easier for the yeast to get at the delicious sugars, but I haven't made a fruit beer yet.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Well the things you learn...

You know what else can drive up your original gravity?
Not adding your last gallon of water to your fermenter

It's only been 4 days, so yesterday I added it during the transfer to my secondary for dry hopping. Anyone have ideas about how this might go?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Morbid Florist posted:

It's only been 4 days, so yesterday I added it during the transfer to my secondary for dry hopping. Anyone have ideas about how this might go?

It will be fine. In fact, this is related to a technique I have seen advocated for making flavorful, but lower-alcohol beer: doing a high-gravity ferment to get the complexity of a strong beer, then cutting it with water to keep the alcohol content manageable. I doubt you'll have much of a noticeable effect at ~1.065 OG, but at least there's precedent.

As long as the water you added was clean, there's pretty much no chance it goofed anything up. Boiled and cooled would be best as it both degasses the water and assures sanitation; water from a sealed bottle would be good too; but even regular tap water is probably going to be OK as municipal supplies are pretty sanitary.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

It will be fine. In fact, this is related to a technique I have seen advocated for making flavorful, but lower-alcohol beer: doing a high-gravity ferment to get the complexity of a strong beer, then cutting it with water to keep the alcohol content manageable. I doubt you'll have much of a noticeable effect at ~1.065 OG, but at least there's precedent.

As long as the water you added was clean, there's pretty much no chance it goofed anything up. Boiled and cooled would be best as it both degasses the water and assures sanitation; water from a sealed bottle would be good too; but even regular tap water is probably going to be OK as municipal supplies are pretty sanitary.

This was distilled so I'm not worried about it getting contaminated. That's an interesting thing about making a lighter beer though, since that's kinda what I'm going for with this recipe: making an all-day-party drinker. Maybe I screwed my way into the right path for next time :)

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Morbid Florist posted:

It reached final gravity in 4 days?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

tesilential posted:

It reached final gravity in 4 days?

No I moved it to my secondary after 4 days, and dry hopped. I've still got another week at least.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Uck, secondaries - the scourge of homebrewing instructions

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Hey if it wasn't for the secondary transfer I'd never have known about the missing water and I'd have bunk beer. Not to mention I seem to have accidentally stumbled on a potential path for making my own light ale. :)

mewse
May 2, 2006

primary fermentation is when the yeast converts all the simple sugars into alcohol. you shouldn't transfer to the secondary fermenter until your beer has reached final gravity.

when you transfer too early you can end up with a "stuck" fermentation

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-4.html

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004

Prefect Six posted:

Bottled my Northern Brewer Black IPA and oh man the hop aroma is great. It tastes great too, I'm so excited to drink this beer! Added bonus my wife gave me the green light on a kegging set up. :woop:

I made that last year and it's awesome and plan on brewing it very soon. I started kegging this summer and it makes home brewing so much better by not having to loving bottle.

Speaking of kegging, if I want to bottle a few beers for friends to try, can I just turn down the psi and fill a cold bottle from the tap? It worked pretty well when I did it with growlers.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

mewse posted:

primary fermentation is when the yeast converts all the simple sugars into alcohol. you shouldn't transfer to the secondary fermenter until your beer has reached final gravity.

when you transfer too early you can end up with a "stuck" fermentation

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-4.html

I'm following the kit recipe, and it says to move/dry hop 3-4 days in.

But that's an interesting page you linked. Just by nature of my space/setup I'm having the bottle conditioning experiment he's describing every batch even if I haven't paid attention to it yet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm following the kit recipe, and it says to move/dry hop 3-4 days in.

RiggenBlaque posted:

Uck, secondaries - the scourge of homebrewing instructions

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

It's going to be just fine. But it would have been just fine without the move to secondary also. MorbidFlorist, many/most of us do single-stage ferments for most/all of our beers. The consensus is that secondaries are kind of deprecated.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Anybody here done something like an american dark wheat? I've been thinking about a Lil Sumpin Sumpin sort of hopped dark wheat.

Maybe pilsner and wheat and some dark wheat (mostly I want to play with dark wheat, I've never used it before) and a double decoction because decoctions are fun.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:
Whoa, didn't realize you were insane.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

... I'll be making a new stand out of stainless that's a little bit bigger in all directions and with different supports. Don't know when I'll actually do that though, because so far I absolutely love brewing on this setup....

I'm getting ready to build one of these and my supports look very similar to yours. Do you find any lack of kettle stability with the simple square keg supports? I'm trying to figure out the best solution that will support the pots so I don't knock them off, provide good breathing to the burners, and keep the branding iron frame temperatures to a minimum. What are your thoughts on kettle supports for v.2?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Hypnolobster posted:

Maybe pilsner and wheat and some dark wheat (mostly I want to play with dark wheat, I've never used it before) and a double decoction because decoctions are fun.

Yeah they are, I'm going to attempt a triple decoction vienna lager on Sunday :whatup:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

It's going to be just fine. But it would have been just fine without the move to secondary also. MorbidFlorist, many/most of us do single-stage ferments for most/all of our beers. The consensus is that secondaries are kind of deprecated.

I've tried out one stage but I have to say I find the taste a little bit cleaner/lighter doing the transfer. There's probably some beers I'll like better without the move. But last time I did it all single stage the fucker blew out on me, got beer mung everywhere and ended up dragging back all the crap that gets stuck on the upper parts of a carboy. It didn't turn out BAD but it wasn't as good.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Bruinator posted:

I'm getting ready to build one of these and my supports look very similar to yours. Do you find any lack of kettle stability with the simple square keg supports? I'm trying to figure out the best solution that will support the pots so I don't knock them off, provide good breathing to the burners, and keep the branding iron frame temperatures to a minimum. What are your thoughts on kettle supports for v.2?

I like them. They're really nice and stable. Next time I'll probably use something that looks a little neater like some solid square bar stock or a rolled loop of round stock, but in terms of stability I couldn't be happier.
Mine are radisused roughly to the shape of my 16.5" diameter kegs and leaned back a few degrees.

As for heat, unfortunately the only thing I think that could help keep the frame from becoming a giant pile of leg-scorching steel is to make an angle iron or similar frame that's held up off the frame with 4 studs. I thought a lot about doing that, but decided it would be too much work and wouldn't look as clean. As it sits right now, the heat only soaks down about 8 inches from the top of the stand. The top, obviously, will vaporize any liquid on contact.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

I like them. They're really nice and stable. Next time I'll probably use something that looks a little neater like some solid square bar stock or a rolled loop of round stock, but in terms of stability I couldn't be happier.
Mine are radisused roughly to the shape of my 16.5" diameter kegs and leaned back a few degrees.

As for heat, unfortunately the only thing I think that could help keep the frame from becoming a giant pile of leg-scorching steel is to make an angle iron or similar frame that's held up off the frame with 4 studs. I thought a lot about doing that, but decided it would be too much work and wouldn't look as clean. As it sits right now, the heat only soaks down about 8 inches from the top of the stand. The top, obviously, will vaporize any liquid on contact.

I've also been considering the angle iron frame on standoffs to keep the heat away from the main frame of the unit but I really wasn't sure how necessary it would be. I do think I'm going to use some stainless bar stock to lift the kettles off the stand itself slightly. I'm using megapots instead of kegs so there is just a flat surface at the bottom and it could restrict the heat path from the burner if the four support bars of the frame were preventing the heat from escaping.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Morbid Florist posted:

I've tried out one stage but I have to say I find the taste a little bit cleaner/lighter doing the transfer. There's probably some beers I'll like better without the move. But last time I did it all single stage the fucker blew out on me, got beer mung everywhere and ended up dragging back all the crap that gets stuck on the upper parts of a carboy. It didn't turn out BAD but it wasn't as good.

The explosion was yeast fermenting the beer. When you transfer too early (like you are doing) you are leaving a lot (most) of the yeast in primary and your fermentation becomes much weaker. Your beers are probably not attenuating as far as they should.

Most of us only transfer to secondary when we're adding something to the beer, I.e. dry hops, fruit, finings.

Next time let it sit in primary for 2 weeks before you rack to secondary, then dry hop.

Keep in mind brewing kit instructions are written for alcoholics who want beer ASAP and don't much care how good it is. Take your time and do it right!

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
Happy Freedom to Home Brew Day everyone!
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d095:HR01337:@@@L&summ2=m&

Signed 33 years ago today by Jimmy Carter

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

tesilential posted:

Keep in mind brewing kit instructions are written for alcoholics who want beer ASAP and don't much care how good it is. Take your time and do it right!

Well I'm probably in between boozebag and aspiring artist ;)

My strategy now is to keep making the 6-7 kits I've done already but change things each time so I can learn what makes what happen, so there's plenty of room for changes. Right now is the ingredient tinkering, process changes are next.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Noghri_ViR posted:

Happy Freedom to Home Brew Day everyone!
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d095:HR01337:@@@L&summ2=m&

Signed 33 years ago today by Jimmy Carter

Woo hoo! Raise a glass in the general direction of Plains, GA!

vvv I did, and I meant to comment on it, but I got distracted by something shiny.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 14, 2011

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Anyone else notice the bill was House Resolution 1337?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Morbid Florist posted:

Well I'm probably in between boozebag and aspiring artist ;)

My strategy now is to keep making the 6-7 kits I've done already but change things each time so I can learn what makes what happen, so there's plenty of room for changes. Right now is the ingredient tinkering, process changes are next.

Judging by avatar, boozebag. Speaking of avatars, Noghri's just makes me sad.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
I need a simple extract recipe for an American Wheat. I just want to use it as a base for fruity wheat beers. Basically I need to know what hops and yeast to use...

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
So, sort of a kegging question.. I got a three keg ball-lock set up from keg connection, but I don't think they changed out all the O-rings. (A few days later, they sent me a set of new o-rings in the mail, but the ones on the kegs looked old.) I switched out the ones on the keg lids, but not the IN/OUT posts since I wasn't quite sure how to do it.

So I put my saison into one of the kegs and now it tastes kinda like stale soda, or maybe a little metallic. I waited a few weeks, it tastes the same. Same thing direct from the keg or from the tap. My question is, is it ever going to taste like beer again, or will a soda-taste from the o-rings last forever?

(This beer did sit in the primary for a few months, but I've never read about autolysis causing fruity/metallic flavors.)

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
You didn't mention if you actually cleaned the actual inside of the keg you used. Did you just spray it down or did you do a proper oxyclean soak? I doubt old o-rings would impart that much flavor.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

I would remove the keg posts / dip tubes etc and soak everything in a cleaner as suggested above.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Fair question. I did wash the kegs out with PBW and put Starsan in before putting any beer in them.

I will try removing dipstick/keg posts and soaking in cleaner to see how that helps, thanks.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Sionak posted:

I switched out the ones on the keg lids, but not the IN/OUT posts since I wasn't quite sure how to do it.

For the ones on the posts, I usually end up cutting the old ones with a utility knife or an Xacto. I've never been able to get them off without cutting them because the groove they sit in is pretty deep and narrow, but others have reported success just by using a fine tool of some kind to get under them. I say why go to the trouble - if you're replacing them, there's no need to be particular about them, right?

For the one under the posts, on the dip tubes, once you get the post off, the dip tubes will just lift out of the keg (might want some soaking and/or wiggling if there's soda gunk up in there). The O-rings can just be slid off the end of the removed dip tube and a new one slid on.

In both cases, a light coat of keg lube as you reassemble will help them seal nicely.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

beetlo posted:

Basically I need to know what hops and yeast to use...

Tettnanger or Hallertauer and Wyeast 3068 are the classic choices for hefeweizens. If you're going for a fruity american wheat beer you probably wanna use American Ale 1 or 2.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

So I'm interested in brewing a Belgian wit, and I came upon this recipe for a key lime wit:

http://www.fermentarium.com/homebrewing/brewing-beer/how-to-make-a-key-lime-wit-beer/
code:
4 lbs Belgian 2-row Pilsner malt
3 lbs Belgian wheat malt
2 lbs Flaked wheat
8 oz Belgian aromatic malt
4 oz Flaked oats
1.0 oz Kent Goldings (bittering for 60 minutes)
0.5 oz Kent Goldings (flavoring for 15 minutes)
0.5 oz Saaz (aroma for 1 minute)
3/4 tsp cracked coriander (for 15 minutes)
2 oz fresh Key Lime zest (for 15 minutes)
White Labs WLP400 or Wyeast 3944
SG 1.048 - 1.050
FG 1.010
Since I don't have the equipment to do all-grain yet, I'd like to convert it to extract + specialty. The recipe says to use 7.5lb wheat LME for the conversion. On that note, I have a couple questions:

1) I'd like to use DME instead if possible. From what I hear, in partial boils, LME caramelizes easier and leads to darker beer (this was a problem I had with my Belgian tripel), though this may theoretically be offset by a late extract addition rather than dumping it all in at once. I'm not sure about the wisdom in this, because doesn't the boiling process do something to the proteins that is fairly important for head development?

2) I've heard the conversion ratio is (LME by weight) * 0.8 = (DME by weight). Is this correct?

3) From what I can tell, the Belgian aromatic and flaked oats are steeped in addition to the extract as I don't believe they generate a ton of fermentable sugars. Is this correct?

4) Are flaked oats the same thing as standard-issue Quaker rolled oats (not the quick-cooking kind)? I happen to have a ton of those laying around.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

crazyfish posted:

So I'm interested in brewing a Belgian wit

1) I'd like to use DME instead if possible. From what I hear, in partial boils, LME caramelizes easier and leads to darker beer (this was a problem I had with my Belgian tripel), though this may theoretically be offset by a late extract addition rather than dumping it all in at once. I'm not sure about the wisdom in this, because doesn't the boiling process do something to the proteins that is fairly important for head development?

2) I've heard the conversion ratio is (LME by weight) * 0.8 = (DME by weight). Is this correct?

3) From what I can tell, the Belgian aromatic and flaked oats are steeped in addition to the extract as I don't believe they generate a ton of fermentable sugars. Is this correct?

4) Are flaked oats the same thing as standard-issue Quaker rolled oats (not the quick-cooking kind)? I happen to have a ton of those laying around.

1) DME and LME are pretty well interchangeable, so you should have no problem there. I have not heard that LME is easier to caramelize, but I do know that old or poorly stored LME can darken over time. I think you'll have a hard time getting as pale a beer as you would from all-grain no matter how you do it. Whatever you choose, get the palest you can and do a late extract addition to keep the color pale. The oats will add enough gums that I don't think you'll have a heading issue.

2) Yes, that's correct. DME ~=45PPG; LME ~=36PPG. 45*0.8=36

3) I really think you're going to want to do a minimash rather than just a steep. Personally, I'd replace the aromatic malt with pilsner and hold it and the oats for an hour or so at around 150. Aromatic is not a steeping grain; it needs to be mashed. It does have the diastatic power you would need to convert itself and the oats, but I am not so sure its character goes well in a Wit.

4) Flaked oats are more like quick oats than regular rolled oats. Lots of people report success just chucking quick oats into the mash, but for rolled oats, you would need to gelatinize (cook) them first.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I did one batch of homebrew a few years ago and I'm looking to start up again. I remember having a ton of issues with boil overs because I was using a 12-quart pot and I want to get something bigger - should I just get a 20-quart or should I opt for something even bigger?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

If you want to continue to do concentrated boils, a 20-quart pot is a very effective size. If you are interested in doing full-volume boils or all-grain brewing, you will need a larger pot - probably something in the range of 28-32 quarts. It's worth pointing out that if you brew at full volume, boiling on the kitchen stove and chilling in the kitchen sink become somewhat problematic, so you'll also want to be aware of other potential expenses such as propane burners and wort chillers.

Next you are buying ingredients or visiting your local shop, also ask about Fermcap-S. This is a milky liquid you can add to the boil (about 1 to 2 drops per gallon) that will break the surface tension of the foam in the pot, greatly reducing the risk of boilovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jo3sh posted:

If you want to continue to do concentrated boils, a 20-quart pot is a very effective size. If you are interested in doing full-volume boils or all-grain brewing, you will need a larger pot - probably something in the range of 28-32 quarts. It's worth pointing out that if you brew at full volume, boiling on the kitchen stove and chilling in the kitchen sink become somewhat problematic, so you'll also want to be aware of other potential expenses such as propane burners and wort chillers.

Next you are buying ingredients or visiting your local shop, also ask about Fermcap-S. This is a milky liquid you can add to the boil (about 1 to 2 drops per gallon) that will break the surface tension of the foam in the pot, greatly reducing the risk of boilovers.

Listen to Jos3h.

I brew 5 gal all grain batches with minimal equipment. I use a 23 qt pressure cooker, a small 4 quart pot and a fermentation bucket.

I mash in the bucket (holds an extra gallon compared to PC) and boil in the pressure cooker on my weak apartment and now town home electric stoves.

It takes about 30 minutes to heat strike water and 45 minutes to get a boil going with the airtight pressure cooker lid on. This is a locking weighted lid, MUCH tighter seal then any pot and lid or brew kettle and it still takes a substantial amount of time.

I honestly don't think I could boil 5 gal of water indoors without the pressure cookers