Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So about the Legion and the Brotherhood...I am a member of the brotherhood of steel, but Caesar wants me to wipe them out. Is there any way to reconcile this without killing one side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Elendil004 posted:

So about the Legion and the Brotherhood...I am a member of the brotherhood of steel, but Caesar wants me to wipe them out. Is there any way to reconcile this without killing one side?
Nope.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Well at least I got power armor training...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ignore them both and take the platinum chip for yourself :shepface:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Which you'll use to wipe out Caesar, right? :ohdear:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I've done the independent ending before. This is a legion run.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 31, 2017

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Magnets! posted:

Riot Shotgun is the best shotgun.
I've got some mod that lets me put a silencer on the hunting shotgun. It looks completely retarded, but that, my friend, that is the best shotgun.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Are the DLCs worth buying? I like the base game well enough but I'm not sure it's worth dropping another ~$50 to get all the content unless it's quite good.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
I want to replay this game. Does the Project Nevada mod add anything worthwhile to the game, or is it considered to be trash? Apparently people on the Fallout Nexus like it (lol), so I'm wary about it.

CerebralDonut fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 15, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

John McCain posted:

Are the DLCs worth buying? I like the base game well enough but I'm not sure it's worth dropping another ~$50 to get all the content unless it's quite good.

Get everything except the Courier's Stash. It really is that good.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

CerebralDonut posted:

I want to replay this game. Does the Project Nevada mod add anything worthwhile to the game, or is it considered to be trash? Apparently people on the Fallout Nexus like it (lol), so I'm wary about it.

To me, Project Nevada is number one on my list when I mod New Vegas. It rounds the game out very nicely.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

CerebralDonut posted:

It is totally optional.

Check the FO:NV Modding thread OP for some category recommendations: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713

quote:

They are really good. Far better than FO3 DLC for sure, strong value for your money and contenders for "How to make DLC content good" awards.

Honest Hearts is the weakest of the DLC in my opinion, with OWBs funny/amusing, DM the most engrossing, and LR the most challenging. The Courier's Stash just spoils starting characters, but Gun Runners has a lot of worthwhile additions and features.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

SynthOrange posted:

Get everything except the Courier's Stash. It really is that good.

Agreed. The DLCs Obsidian has done aren't the effortless cashgrabs that every other developer does. The four main DLCs are really more like microexpansions. They have a lot of effort put into them.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 31, 2017

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Berk Berkly posted:

They are really good. Far better than FO3 DLC for sure, strong value for your money and contenders for "How to make DLC content good" awards.

Honest Hearts is the weakest of the DLC in my opinion, with OWBs funny/amusing, DM the most engrossing, and LR the most challenging. The Courier's Stash just spoils starting characters, but Gun Runners has a lot of worthwhile additions and features.

Oh yeah they all highlight a part of New Vegas real well I think. HH doesn't fit in with the story of the other 3 DLC's that carry through though it fits in well and is a great expansion that focuses on some aspects from the first 2 fallouts.

HH was great for the change of pace and OWB was amazing for being so bonkers. DM had that crazy resident evil atmosphere and total turn around in the badassery of the player. Lonesome Road however was the best in my opinion hands down. Amazing area with an awesome story. I didn't find it challenging though it was more "I AM COURIER HEAR ME ROAR" as you rape every living thing down the dusty roads.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

50 Foot Ant posted:

Don't bother with the Courier's Stash.

If you really want cool stuff in the beginning, there's a file at the Nexus that will basically let you choose your background and get the stuff.

About the only thing I bother with from the original pre-order stuff is the 10mm pistol, which rocks. I just sell the rest of the crap.

What I do is I take all the worthless and completely heavy armors Courier's Stash starts you out with and reverse pickpocket them onto the citizens of Goodsprings for Ghost Town Gunfight. It helps them take a little less damage, and its amusing seeing Trudy in Vault 13 armor, and Easy Pete wearing half a tire.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

50 Foot Ant posted:

Oh God yes. He freaks me out without his beret.

I know, if he doesn't look like this something is wrong. Give him the Desert ranger armour too!

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Fully upgraded signature Nail Gun will mow down an entire fleet of anything you can throw at it. Deathclaws, robots, robot deathclaws, what the gently caress ever. I just aim for the legs and hold the button down.. legs go flying everyhwhere. Holy gently caress.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Gameplay related: are some things just not possible to steal? I wanted Big Boomer from Old Lady Gibson, and so I snuck into her shack while she was asleep and no dogs were around her, and while I could successfully steal the ammo to make her unequip it, it seemed impossible to take the gun itself. I only had a Sneak of like 32 so I thought that might be it, but even with a stealth boy and savescumming like twenty times, it didn't happen.[/spoiler].

Everyone in the Mojave is a really, really light sleeper. So light in fact that I swear they have higher perception than when they're awake. As you noticed, it's a lot more difficult to pickpocket sleeping NPCs, but it can be done. I've done it a few times when she's sleeping but it's a lot easier to get when she's at the dinner table or sitting down outside (you can push the dogs around to change their line of sight on you, if necessary).

I haven't bothered with Big Boomer in my last few games but I always plan on trading a Stealth Boy for a Ranger Sequoia (Chief Hanlon is very easy to pickpocket). The unique Cowboy Repeater from the old ranger at McCarran is an extremely powerful weapon but he's the most difficult NPC to pickpocket in my experience, even when he's alone.

I wish pickpocketing had its own sub-game like hacking and lockpicking so that you could try again without having to reload. I guess the end result is the same though whether the mechanism is in-game or not (the player always 'wins').

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I know, if he doesn't look like this something is wrong. Give him the Desert ranger armour too!

I always keep that gear for myself, but yeah h-

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh God that's just perverse

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kalko posted:

Everyone in the Mojave is a really, really light sleeper. So light in fact that I swear they have higher perception than when they're awake. As you noticed, it's a lot more difficult to pickpocket sleeping NPCs, but it can be done. I've done it a few times when she's sleeping but it's a lot easier to get when she's at the dinner table or sitting down outside (you can push the dogs around to change their line of sight on you, if necessary).

Try grabbing something in red text when someone is sleeping near it. As soon as you grab it, they'll yell "THIEF!", get up and open fire, no matter how small the item is nor how much noise you made picking the item up. Apparently they're were just pretending to sleep, or something like that.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

John McCain posted:

As many people already said it is worth it except Couriers Stash. If you are playing an unmodded game you'll start with one of the best early game armors, a shotgun and a pistol that can breeze through any enemy until mid-game and lots of junk to sell. Not worth real money in any sense.

All four DLC's are really well done and actually put some faith in me regarding DLC's in general.

-Dead Money is a great one shot experience and has a completely different pacing/feel. Wonderful in all aspects, especially the story which i found quite sad. It rewards exploration and previous investments on lockpick/science/speech skills. Ghost People are creepy as hell and hard to kill but possible to avoid if you like stealth. Traps are annoying but adds to the "this place is a goddamn death trap" feel. The collar gimmick is well done but i don't think i can be arsed to do it again.

-Honest Hearts: It ties one of the most important/interesting plot point and gives some exposition on Legion and Ceasar. The Zion National Park is beautiful, also full of even bigger Cazadors :cry:. There is a sub-plot you'll follow via terminals/logs if you explore a bit. Lots of new recipes, consumables, great light armor and clothing at the end and of course A Light Shining in Darkness. I found it a little bit (only a little) short for my taste but definitely worth it.

-Lonesome Road: LR is awesome, probably one of the best DLC's i've ever seen. Great atmosphere, lots of tough enemies, lots of explosions and the final battle is awesome. Adds lots of new weapons, armor and consumables also makes ED-E the best companion.

I haven't played OWB yet but i am expecting nothing but good stuff. Gun Runners Arsenal adds lots of much needed stuff (as in "i needed Explosive .50 MG rounds so badly to blow a deathclaws limbs from miles away") and new challenges for trophy hunters.

tl;dr: As stated in the op, all DLC's are worth it and feels like another game when played in order with short breaks between them.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

closeted republican posted:

Try grabbing something in red text when someone is sleeping near it. As soon as you grab it, they'll yell "THIEF!", get up and open fire, no matter how small the item is nor how much noise you made picking the item up. Apparently they're were just pretending to sleep, or something like that.

I tried grabbing an item off the shelf in a room with sleeping NCR soldiers just to see if they'll go all-guns-out on me. One got up, approached me and took the item from me, never went hostile or anything. It was so unexpected I just burst out laughing. It looked like a mother taking stuff from the kid which he's not supposed to have. Not sure if my being idolized by NCR had something to do with it.

steady fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 15, 2011

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
unnamed soldier = Killed in his sleep. Pretty much no exceptions.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Did anybody else notice that Lonesome Road was a Half-Life game?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

steady posted:

I tried grabbing an item off the shelf in a room with sleeping NCR soldiers just to see if they'll go all-guns-out on me. One got up, approached me and took the item from me, never went hostile or anything. It was so unexpected I just burst out laughing. It looked like a mother taking stuff from the kid which he's not supposed to have. Not sure if my being idolized by NCR had something to do with it.

Even though I was idolized with NCR, I failed Don't Tread On The Bear before getting sent to that power substation. I walked in and one NCR dude jumped up out of his cot and started towards me. Without a word Boone swings round his rifle and blows his guts out and leaves the guy dead on the floor, and the two other NCR guys turn and look, then one of them says,"Hey! You're the guy who killed Caesar!"

I had to laugh, I hosed around with their power generator, walked past their dead friend and checked my stats, and I'm still idolized with NCR. Thanks Boone! :)

Edit: Added spoiler tags for late game main quest chains.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

LividLiquid posted:

Did anybody else notice that Lonesome Road was a Half-Life game?

I only noticed like 3 of the times he stalks you. God drat dude puts the G-Man to shame with his stalkery.

He does drop the best drat line in response to the player being overly good though.
No I didn't mean to launch that nuke and hurt people!

Well then you shouldn't have walked in here pushing buttons. You came here by choice and could have left at any time.

That's when I knew it was on.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 15, 2011

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

front page of the Fallout wiki posted:

As according to last weeks poll, 63% of voters thought they could survive and live out in the wastes and 37% knew they couldn't. Guess who the more sane group of people is ;). I may also note that last weeks poll had the most comments of any WWP; over 5 times the norm.

Yes, wiki contributors, tell us more about how your knowledge of video game minutia translates into real-world survival skills. :allears:

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
The best response to Ulysses is just to hit him in the back with a mini nuke as soon as you get there. "No, creepy stalker dude, I don't want to here about your halfassed theories, I just came here to get your sweet outfit."

Astroturf Man fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 15, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Orange Crush Rush posted:

edit: and Joshua Graham, good lord. For shits and giggles I did a point blank sneak on him with Dinner Bell and Shotgun Surgeon and I think I did maybe 15%? Of course he casually got up and blew me away.

That's odd. Very soon after starting the DLC I came out of the back of Angel Cave and Follows-Chalk started going crazy at something at the bottom of the cliff that I couldn't see. When I got back out to the camp, Joshua was chillin' by the campfire at half health. I wonder what attacked him? There were no bodies around. :confused:

Didn't stop him scaring the crap out of me when I came out of the Narrows and he appeared from nowhere to quote scripture at me. Thanks dude.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Were you also tripping balls and on a spirit quest to kill a bear at the same time?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

SynthOrange posted:

Were you also tripping balls and on a spirit quest to kill a bear at the same time?

When Joshua scared the poo poo out of me? Yes. "Uh thanks man but I have no idea what you just said and I can't really see you too good right now"

Point Lookout's trip was better. :colbert:

Big_Daddy_Fabio
Oct 26, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

Yes, wiki contributors, tell us more about how your knowledge of video game minutia translates into real-world survival skills. :allears:

Marvelous Post/Av Combination.

In regards HH, and the most disappointing part to me was when I found the Survivalist in my most recent play through because I brought the Sorrows Companion along with me and she didn't provide any response. Especially considering her hesitation on entering the Survivalist's caves while you are doing the quests for Daniel and Joshua.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Weird, Fallout finished updating and I loaded up my most recent save and got a message saying that the save relied on objects that were no longer present. It still let me load it, but I can't figure out what might be missing - I only have three mods, a font changer, a weather mod, and one that adds working streetlights to a lot of areas. I checked and they are all still present and working properly. Strange.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Does anybody have a link to the video on how to pronounce Paciencia?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Upmarket Mango posted:

Does anybody have a link to the video on how to pronounce Paciencia?

I'd imagine pah-see-in-see-ah, assuming it's Spanish.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Yeah, it is, but someone, I think it was Ropekid, posted a video of an *~actual~* Spanish speaker saying it and it sounded so goddamn smooth.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Upmarket Mango posted:

Yeah, it is, but someone, I think it was Ropekid, posted a video of an *~actual~* Spanish speaker saying it and it sounded so goddamn smooth.

Yeah here you go, rope kid posted it on twitter a while ago, went back and found it for you :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

closeted republican posted:

Gotta sleep with one eye open if you don't want people walking off with your bent tin cans.