Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mikael Kreoss posted:

aspergers

hehe rear end burgers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Archenteron posted:

Also I'm curious (since this would make it worthwhile now). If you have, say, a Silk Touch Iron Pick that's almost worn out, and you craft it with another iron pick to renew it, will the end result be a plain iron pick or an enchanted one?

At the moment, the word of Jeb is enchanted tool + plain tool = repaired tool without enchantment. No word on what happens if you repair an enchanted tool with another enchanted tool.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
I should have you all know that in pre-release 4, you can launch splash potions using the dispenser. It made my day when I discovered this.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Jin Wicked posted:

I like them. v:shobon:v

Definitely post pics of the inside of this

also Eiba is real nice too

I'll show off my stuff. On the server I play on (wilsonsmp--in PGS), we've got a little clustered Italian village on two hilltops, and I made a nice little hotel

Album photos are here.

http://imgur.com/a/NaPDq#7

Sphax rules, and so do vines

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 14, 2011

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Vinigre posted:

I should have you all know that in pre-release 4, you can launch splash potions using the dispenser. It made my day when I discovered this.

The real question now is how long until we get potions that explode or set things on fire?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting endless out-of-memory errors every few minutes on my desktop which is getting really annoying. Anyone have any tips? The OP's tips seem to focus more on FPS which I have in the 120 range so no problem there. I'm running no mods, 1.8.1 Win 7 x32 with java 32 and more ram than a 32 processor can handle ( :doh: ) so I'm out of ideas!

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Hit F3 in-game and look at Minecraft's memory usage. It allocates 989mb by default, if you're constantly near that limit due to the size of your world or whatever you might want to look into using a .bat file to start MC with a higher memory limit in Java.

32-bit OS means you've only got 3.5gb total to play with though, so don't overdo it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vatek posted:

Hit F3 in-game and look at Minecraft's memory usage. It allocates 989mb by default, if you're constantly near that limit due to the size of your world or whatever you might want to look into using a .bat file to start MC with a higher memory limit in Java.

32-bit OS means you've only got 3.5gb total to play with though, so don't overdo it.

It sits around 10% all the times I check.
Edit: left F3 on until it crashed- stayed at 9-10%, popped up to 20% sometimes, crashed with the screen frozen at 9%. The screen freezes, holds a few seconds, then gives the out of memory error.

VVV No, I'll look into that.
E2: This is SMP, I don't think I can change version :smith:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 14, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Have you tried any of the 1.9 pre-releases to see if it helps?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Evilreaver posted:

I'm getting endless out-of-memory errors every few minutes on my desktop which is getting really annoying. Anyone have any tips? The OP's tips seem to focus more on FPS which I have in the 120 range so no problem there. I'm running no mods, 1.8.1 Win 7 x32 with java 32 and more ram than a 32 processor can handle ( :doh: ) so I'm out of ideas!

Try Java 7

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Are you using an nVidia card? There's a bug which causes out-of-memory errors when the draw distance is set as high as it'll go (which it is by default). Turn it down a notch level.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Crosscontaminant posted:

Are you using an nVidia card? There's a bug which causes out-of-memory errors when the draw distance is set as high as it'll go (which it is by default). Turn it down a notch level.

That seems to have fixed it! Is there a better way to fix it (drivers etc) or am I stuck on Normal view for now?

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Hey it would be cool if you could stack chest blocks vertically to make a locker/closet type storage space. Then you could make them recessed into the walls. Having chests flush against the walls makes more sense to me than having chests in the ground.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
You can already recess chests into walls, you just can't stack chests vertically.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Of course you're right but don't you also have to leave an empty space above the chest? That's not really seamless or pretty IMO

Also, it's way more space-efficient; It has a 1 block footprint PLUS your domicile is already at least 2 blocks tall . A double chest requires 2 blocks horizontal PLUS 2 blocks vertical. A locker would use your preexisting pathways for room to 'open' so you won't need to make room for it.

feigning interest fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 14, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
No, you can put a block on top of the chest, although with the chests being animated now the lid clips into the block, but that's a minor problem at best since you'll be looking at the chest interface anyway.

Bag of Carpets
Dec 20, 2010
I'm getting some varying opinions about playing Minecraft on a Macbook Pro. I play it on my 2011 MBP and the fans get REAL LOUD and the laptop gets hot and I assume this is normal for Macs? Does changing Java versions or some nonsense like that help this out in any way?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
That's normal for a laptop. Minecraft is surprisingly performance intensive and laptops have poor heat management.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Vatek posted:

No, you can put a block on top of the chest, although with the chests being animated now the lid clips into the block, but that's a minor problem at best since you'll be looking at the chest interface anyway.

Hmm, i never knew this. But I just tested it (1.8.1) and it seems it won't open if the lid is obstructed? Unless this has been changed in the pre-releases.

edit: to clarify by 'open' I mean access the contents of the chest. A block on top render it unusable.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

feigning interest posted:

Hmm, i never knew this. But I just tested it (1.8.1) and it seems it won't open if the lid is obstructed? Unless this has been changed in the pre-releases.

edit: to clarify by 'open' I mean access the contents of the chest. A block on top render it unusable.

A steps block won't hinder it. One of those placed at the right angle will look like a proper block is placed there.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Last time I used it was in 1.8 so they might have fixed it if it was a bug. I just tested in 1.9pre2 though and it still works with glass, slabs or stairs.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Vatek posted:

I'm not sure about other OS options, but in Windows, a 32 bit application can only address 2GiB due to the memory model that Windows uses. The upper half of the virtual address space is reserved for Windows.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

EightBit posted:

I'm not sure about other OS options, but in Windows, a 32 bit application can only address 2GiB due to the memory model that Windows uses. The upper half of the virtual address space is reserved for Windows.

No? roughly 3gb can be adressed.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

32bit Windows can address 4GB total though typically the usable amount is less.

32bit apps can only use 2GB for themselves regardless of what version of Windows you're using.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
~3 GB can be addressed, half is reserved for OS use though. The first is a technical limitation of 32 bit, the second is how XP is programmed.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
I haven't played 1.9, but have they fixed the horribad issue of stairs blocking light? Cause I was really annoyed that they changed it to block light in one update.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

~3 GB can be addressed, half is reserved for OS use though. The first is a technical limitation of 32 bit, the second is how XP is programmed.

Er, no. 4 GB can be addressed, and 2 GB can be addressed by any one process (unless it was compiled a certain way with a certain flag and run on certain processors to raise that).

However your computer has other RAM than the main RAM, if you have a video card with 512MB of graphics RAM, you remove .5 GB from the 4 GB you have (and there's other things that take up RAM for hardware stuff so it's more than that).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Is there a way to calm running water? There's six or so blocks of running water in the middle of an otherwise still lake, and it's driving me loving nuts.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Schwarzwald posted:

Is there a way to calm running water? There's six or so blocks of running water in the middle of an otherwise still lake, and it's driving me loving nuts.

If you put a block directly under the flowing bit they should sort themselves out.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Emong posted:

If you put a block directly under the flowing bit they should sort themselves out.

I may be wrong, but I think the best way to do this is to build columns up all the way from the sea floor and then dig them out again from the top down, otherwise you risk the blocks under the surface becoming waterfall blocks, which look the same but take longer to swim up through and may drown animals.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I have some spare server space if anyone would like to putz around on a PR4 server.
edit:
Put one up at 64.31.52.5:25565. No whitelist, no mods. Go to town.

Switched.on fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 15, 2011

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
1.9pre4 seems to have fixed the out of memory crashes for me. Only gotten one so far in a few hours of playing. Anyone else experiencing them before might want to give 1.9pre4 a go.

uhoh
Apr 17, 2002

Bag of Carpets posted:

I'm getting some varying opinions about playing Minecraft on a Macbook Pro. I play it on my 2011 MBP and the fans get REAL LOUD and the laptop gets hot and I assume this is normal for Macs? Does changing Java versions or some nonsense like that help this out in any way?

My 09 MBP does this as well. Dropping render distance to normal and setting performance to "power saver" got the temp down enough that the fans stay inaudible. (OS X Lion and 1.9pre4)

Bag of Carpets
Dec 20, 2010

uhoh posted:

My 09 MBP does this as well. Dropping render distance to normal and setting performance to "power saver" got the temp down enough that the fans stay inaudible. (OS X Lion and 1.9pre4)

Nice! I'm running 1.8 and changing it to 'Power Saver' was the trick that worked. Good to know. :)

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Ok, tested the stair question I had earlier. It makes the sides of the blocks next to them have the same light level, which can look pretty weird when you try to do the old stairwall.

Also noticed that stone block stairs look pretty hosed up in 1.9pre4.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I can't seem to import my single-player world into my SMP server. It just generates a new world, even if the name of the world specified in the properties file is the same as the world folder I copied over. Is that because the SMP server isn't as updated as the single-player files yet or something?

Slightly related question, do worlds created by the SMP server have NPC villages and dungeons?

Estel
May 4, 2010
It should work. You can create a world in smp then delete the files inside the folder and copy the ones from the world you want to use.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Speaking of lighting, what happened to the light propagation and view distance since 1.8? It seems that the view distance is down (Wasn't there a "very far" render distance?) and that when I go underground, light stops propagating correctly to such a point that even thought there's a torch right down the corridor, it appears pitch-black. I can crank up the brightness to no avail. What happened, and is there any way to get the lighting back to the way it was?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
It doesn't work. Also, I'm having the "out of memory" error, and none of the various fixes and .bat files posted all over the place fix it. WTF?

Red_October_7000 posted:

Speaking of lighting, what happened to the light propagation and view distance since 1.8? It seems that the view distance is down (Wasn't there a "very far" render distance?) and that when I go underground, light stops propagating correctly to such a point that even thought there's a torch right down the corridor, it appears pitch-black. I can crank up the brightness to no avail. What happened, and is there any way to get the lighting back to the way it was?

Working as intended. There's now a darkness fog effect below a certain level. It's loving terrible, it sucks, and there's no way to turn it off. Did you have giant underground halls you were proud of? Too loving bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Petr posted:

It doesn't work. Also, I'm having the "out of memory" error, and none of the various fixes and .bat files posted all over the place fix it. WTF?

Even x64, Java 7, and/or lowering viewdistance? How much ram you got?