Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Rollersnake posted:

I'm frankly amazed that last week I was struggling with the spear & shield hollows in the Undead Burg, and now I can blow through Blighttown like it's nothing. Sure there's been a lot of leveling and upgrading equipment, but more than anything else I feel like I've gotten better as a player.

Also can I infer from how almost nobody has even mentioned him, that we're all silently in agreement that Pinwheel is the easiest boss of the game?

I agree, and so did From's developers. That's why they added that bullshit part RIGHT after him.

Man, I can't imagine any leather user surviving Anor Londo's sniper run at the end. Unless you can parry without falling I guess.

Once I got through that, Anor Londo was pretty cool. Im at Orstein and Smough now. First part's easy because I have the Greatshield of Astorias now, so i kill smough first, Orstein proceeds to destroy my tactic of "standing still and blocking like a man" and impales me, taking away what's left of my health. How do i dodge his attacks?

Also, big question here. Will future reinforcements to my greatshield of astorias increase my stability? because right now +1 offers nothing but piss poor shield bash damage.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just beat the game after playing it practically non-stop the past two weeks. Practically all of that time I was equipped with the same build: Gold-hemmed black robes, divine great scythe and grass crest shield. The final fight was tough as hell but I had to push through as a tribute to the equipment that carried me through half the game.

This game has some of the best environment/character design I've ever seen, I said "holy poo poo" and its variants countless times when all was said and done. I felt kinda bad that I was able to kill so many of the bosses on the first try, since they were all so cool looking and it felt like I was doing them a disservice.

Oddly enough, while I beat practically all of the bosses people have trouble with on the first go, Pinwheel took me a little while, though that was mostly just from my not moving fast enough before he spawns 5 or so clones, which is pretty much game set and match at that point. The Four Kings were the biggest trouble, but were defeated in one of the most satisfying ways: abandoning all sense of restraint and rushing at them with power within and two-handing the scythe, killing them so fast that there was a 10-second delay before the last one came out. Best boss out of them all would be the final one, though. Hard as hell but incredibly satisfying!

Also, the description of Gwyndolin's armor set kinda sheds some light on what's up with his indeterminate sex:

quote:

The power of the moon was strong in Gwyndolin, and thus he was raised as a daughter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After using half my estus flasks on the silver knights I just did a hail mary and hauled rear end past them, past the iron knights, opened the doors, ran back in, found the blacksmith, and now I have a Gravelord Sword +2 and a Crystal Ring Shield.

It does 553 damage with the Gravelord Sword equipped. :shepface:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Also, I noticed alot of you mentioning Lightning Zweihanders as your weapon of choice. What's so special about it anyway? I'm trying to make a 2-hand + shield build, but I get destroyed when i use it.

On the upside, i made a Demon Machete +10, able to make it lighting, so i do kinda have a Zwei, just with a lovely Strong attack, is all.

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!
Well I'm pretty much done with this game. gently caress you, Capra Demon.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Capra really isn't that bad if you know what to do. Can't you summon someone?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Systems_Id posted:

Summon someone to help. Makes it a lot easier.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Also, big question here. Will future reinforcements to my greatshield of astorias increase my stability? because right now +1 offers nothing but piss poor shield bash damage.
Nope, they won't help. The only thing that goes up is the damage. From 80 to 100. The shield isn't worth upgrading unless you find yourself with an abundance of demon titanite.

Systems_Id posted:

Summon somebody, or upgrade your shield. You don't need to be well armored, but a solid shield is helpful for anybody. A +5 hollow soldier shield helps a lot in surviving that fight.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

How important is your starting class? I'm really indecisive with games, and went with a Hunter. I don't want to miss anything big. :ohdear:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Not even remotely important. It just affects where your stats started, and not even by all that much.

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!

Crowbear posted:

Summon someone to help. Makes it a lot easier.
My PS3s internet is hosed.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Wow, this game's ending was fantastic. Not really spoilers but people who haven't beat it might not want to read my feelings anyway.

This poo poo is fairy tale-esque: bittersweet, impressionistic in detail, world-forming stakes. It fit just enough puzzle pieces together and left just enough loose. This is the way game stories ought to be: mysterious and possibly recursive, allowing every replay to be just as much a thorough expression of its feelings as the first. Every gesture the world and its characters make travels through the static aether of the story, really gets the player in it, it's lovely.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Systems_Id posted:

My PS3s internet is hosed.
Have your shield up as soon as you go in and keep moving. Capra is slow, dogs are fast. Once they're dead, your only enemy is the tiny rear end room with poo poo that will block your camera all of the time. I'd suggest running left, up the stairs.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Not even remotely important. It just affects where your stats started, and not even by all that much.

Sweet. Now keeping that in mind, how useful is the bow in this game? I've only fought close quarters combat for the first hour or so of the game.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Shadow225 posted:

Sweet. Now keeping that in mind, how useful is the bow in this game? I've only fought close quarters combat for the first hour or so of the game.

Bows are more supplementary in this game. Making them your primary weapon is kind of hard.

It's nice to have one on hand though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

I can't speak for everybody, but I mostly use the bow for pulling enemies at range and for cheesing tougher enemies that can't get to me. The game has a good bit of fighting in fairly narrow spaces and you can't use a bow with a shield, so it isn't really something which is viable all of the time.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Filthy Monkey posted:

I can't speak for everybody, but I mostly use the bow for pulling enemies at range and for cheesing tougher enemies that can't get to me. The game has a good bit of fighting in fairly narrow spaces and you can't use a bow with a shield, so it isn't really something which is viable all of the time.
Bows seem to do such mediocre damage too - I don't think putting elemental on the bow even does much.

Maybe I just needed to use better arrows but they only seemed to add 5 or 10 into a stat at the cost of like 10x more souls.

Shadow225 posted:

How important is your starting class? I'm really indecisive with games, and went with a Hunter. I don't want to miss anything big. :ohdear:
You won't miss anything because of your class. Pyromancer has probably the easiest start of anyone cause fireball is really good. They all work fine though and you will gain access to everything provided you don't kill NPCs.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I just forged a Crystal Ring Shield, and this thing seems broken as poo poo.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Shadow225 posted:

Sucks as a source of damage, but crucial for pulling enemies. You would do well to get a bow (not a crossbow) as soon as possible, and just buy piles of the cheapest arrows.

There are some places where you can where you can stunlock ranged enemies with it. But there is no way it is ever a primary weapon.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been having a lot more of a blast with this game than Demon's Souls. I sat on Demon's Souls for months, barely even beating any bosses. This one seems to have just so many more bosses and minibosses and each time I beat one I feel like a total badass. :black101: Killed Hydra last night, and Sif, and Havel. It was a good evening!

edit: I do like seeing this game as a 3D Metroidvania after a goon mentioned it a few pages ago. It's a nice warm fuzzy feeling when I consider it like that, given how many times 3D gameplay has been applied to classic 2D properties and failed.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Haha know what would be fun is if this time I tried to play a duel wield character who never wore a shield :negative:

I now understand why everyone hates the Capra Demon.

(I'm using a rapier so I'm not even tempted to block)

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.

Sheep posted:

Basically I just haul rear end to the right around the guy and up the stairs as soon as I enter the mist. Also summon two dudes to help because that fight sucks rear end. Let the two guys fight it while you stand up at the top of the stairs healing people as necessary.

How do you heal friendly players? There's no specific information in the wiki, I didn't see anything in the OP and of course the manual has nothing. I don't want to run into my first co-op and feel clueless.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Also, I noticed alot of you mentioning Lightning Zweihanders as your weapon of choice. What's so special about it anyway?

Long range, big damage, and lowish requirements. You can use it 2handed with only 16 strength and it hits for like 700 at +5.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

CaptainStag posted:

How do you heal friendly players? There's no specific information in the wiki, I didn't see anything in the OP and of course the manual has nothing. I don't want to run into my first co-op and feel clueless.
The summoner's Estus flask heals everyone nearby, and you can use aoe heal spells if you have them.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

CaptainStag posted:

I think healing yourself heals any co-op partners. I know that when the host would drink from his Estus I'd also get healed, though not nearly as much.

Volitaire posted:

Long range, big damage, and lowish requirements. You can use it 2handed with only 16 strength and it hits for like 700 at +5.

It's also the first-ish greatsword you find so I imagine that alone means people are upgrading it early and thus are already at +5 when it comes time to modify.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Can phantoms heal with things like divine blessing items?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Volitaire posted:

Nice. sounds like something i'd enjoy, but I spent all my Titanite chunks on the spear though, so...drat. I have no idea where to reliably get chunks.

Or i guess i could just use the demon machete +10 . Already got 40 STR, and like i said, only difference is the machete's strong attacks are abysmal.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Revitalized posted:

Can phantoms heal with things like divine blessing items?
I probably wouldn't risk a Divine Blessing while summoned as someone's phantom since the first one you get comes with a warning not to use it while Hollow. I'm not sure if you count as human while summoned as a Phantom even if you were human when you put down your summoning sign.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Plus nearly every boss can be beaten by baiting an attack, counter once, run away, rinse/repeat. In that sense, you want the biggest weapon you can get your hands on and Zwei fits the bill without taking an eternity to swing like some of the other 40-50 STR weapons.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Space Hamlet posted:

Wow, this game's ending was fantastic.

I think you're the first person to have said this.

I really don't want to say the endings were bad, but in a day and age when endings to video games are the proverbial cherry on top, Dark Souls' endings are more like raisins. They definitely aren't bad, though. I think a lot of people panned them because they were expecting narrated half-hour closing cinematics or something of the sort.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, lightning zweinhander +5.

Holy poo poo.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011
To whomever is dying/leaving loot in New Londo Ruins:

Thanks, I just got a twin humanity off a drifter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy poo poo, lightning zweinhander +5.

Holy poo poo.

When am i gonna get this drat lighting ember?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

enojy posted:

I really don't want to say the endings were bad, but in a day and age when endings to video games are the proverbial cherry on top, Dark Souls' endings are more like raisins. They definitely aren't bad, though. I think a lot of people panned them because they were expecting narrated half-hour closing cinematics or something of the sort.

People too often want video games to be movies!

This game's ending trades a huge narrative oomph for a much more thematically meaningful subsequent playthrough, it's something which would never work in traditional storytelling but works perfectly for vidyo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

When am i gonna get this drat lighting ember?
There's nothing to get, the blacksmith in Anol Londo can make lightning weapons from the beginning.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's nothing to get, the blacksmith in Anol Londo can make lightning weapons from the beginning.

Where do you get the Titanite chunks though? At best now, i can turn the Zwei into a plain ol Lightning Zweihander, because i got my spear up to +2.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

Where do you get the Titanite chunks though? At best now, i can turn the Zwei into a plain ol Lightning Zweihander, because i got my spear up to +2.

Enemies in New Londo drop them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

enojy posted:

Haven't beat it yet but I loved the jerky ending to Demon's souls. watching your character squish the Maiden in Black's face into the mud after you murder her was epic.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

There's some sort of NPC behind a wall I can't get to but there's a window where I can snipe him. Should I attack him or what? He looks friendly, but not human.

e: Also, you can't backstab the knights in Anor Londo can you?

No no no, no shoot the nice man!

And the Silver Knights can be backstabbed, but their backstab point is kinda off to their right rather then dead centre. Simply circle to your left, block the hit and you should get it more often then not. Also, backstabbing with a lightning zweihander is hilarious and brutal.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Also, I noticed alot of you mentioning Lightning Zweihanders as your weapon of choice. What's so special about it anyway? I'm trying to make a 2-hand + shield build, but I get destroyed when i use it.

It hits like a loving truck, destroys lightning-weak enemies, the "weak" attack has a massive arc and the strong attack slams humanoid enemies onto their faces, allowing for a follow-up swing that'll usually finish them off. The downside is god-awful speed, hellish stamina drain and if you wiff a strong attack you're gonna suffer. It's not for every enemy (personally, I use it for the likes of the Anor giants or knights or other strong, slow stuff, with the lightning spear for speedy little shits), but for those it is for it's godly.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

McTimmy posted:

Enemies in New Londo drop them.

Err, New Londo as in New Londo ruins with all the ghosts and poo poo?

All i did in ruins was take the firekeeper soul and i got the hell out of there. I'm sure i can blast through it no problem now though.

• Locked thread