Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

UraniumAnchor posted:

Exo managed to shave 46 seconds off that Super Meat Boy run.

Okay, I was thoroughly impressed by the original. I haven't even started to watch this one... just the time alone has me in awe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Another update on SDA:

Banjo-Kazooie 100% single-segment in 2:28:51
Banjo-Tooie boss fights in 0:08:28
Tiger Woods PGA Tour '10 in 0:05:07
Heavy Rain DLC in 0:04:31
The Maw in 0:56:55
Portal (no scripts) in 0:21:37
The Guardian Legend in 0:54:56

Did SDA remove the page that listed the size of the backlog? I guess they got tired of all the complaints.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Former Human posted:

Did SDA remove the page that listed the size of the backlog? I guess they got tired of all the complaints.

I think the main issue was that "Ready for update" was really misleading and just meant that the videos themselves were encoded, but hadn't been checked, pages hadn't been made, screenshots hadn't been taken, etc, so there really was quite a bit of work left before stuff was ready to go up. That and it was a pain in the rear end to keep up to date and didn't really help anything.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Former Human posted:

Another update on SDA:

Banjo-Kazooie 100% single-segment in 2:28:51
Banjo-Tooie boss fights in 0:08:28
Tiger Woods PGA Tour '10 in 0:05:07
Heavy Rain DLC in 0:04:31
The Maw in 0:56:55
Portal (no scripts) in 0:21:37
The Guardian Legend in 0:54:56

Wow that's a huge update, awesome. I'm really glad SDA is putting out these updates more often. I was really excited to watch Banjo Kazooie but it's just a black screen with audio for me :( apparently everyone's having this problem and it'll get fixed soon.

On Speedrunslive there are currently 7 people doing a 700 star race in Super Mario 64, or 10 consecutive 70 stars. It just started and it'll probably take about 10-12 hours to see through. All 7 players are quite good, so if you like watching good Mario 64 runs, today's your day. Check it out at http://speedrunslive.com/streams/

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

furry drum circle posted:

Wow that's a huge update, awesome. I'm really glad SDA is putting out these updates more often. I was really excited to watch Banjo Kazooie but it's just a black screen with audio for me :( apparently everyone's having this problem and it'll get fixed soon.

The BK run is a prime example of why it's better to either use anri or just let nate do the encodes. The runner sent in his own encode and suffice it to say he did it completely wrong.

It should play if you download it (in theory), but the flash player won't play it because it's the wrong codec. As far as I know there's no way to fix it, either.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 16, 2011

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I guess it's a little late now but every Saturday night #speedrunslive hosts an OoT Bingo Race. But right now Cosmo is teaching Peaches how to do Bingo and it's pretty entertaining http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home

canoshiz posted:

I guess it's a little late now but every Saturday night #speedrunslive hosts an OoT Bingo Race. But right now Cosmo is teaching Peaches how to do Bingo and it's pretty entertaining http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

I'm actually really enjoying this since I am pretty much uneducated in a lot of speedrun tactics for OoT. Like if cosmo did a breakdown of little techniques once a week I'd probably watch it all the time and start trying them myself. Maybe even racing in the future.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Yeah, I've been watching Cosmo's stream for a while now, and it's inspired me to start learning routes and tricks in OoT. He's done tutoring at least one other time and I happened to catch it, it really does make learning all these tricks much easier. Right now I can do the child dungeons route (one of the beginner goals) and like the first half or so of the MST route. There is also a tutorial for child dungeons by Runnerguy2489: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBP5nkuFNXk . It is a little outdated as far as routing goes due to the discovery of a new forest escape but it's definitely interesting if you're into OoT.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

canoshiz posted:

Yeah, these are a lot of fun, even though it's really frustrating to restart a trick for an hour straight... you need a lot of patience to start running OoT. Despite that, I'm just about to do another bingo now :v: http://twitch.tv/cosmowright

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, these are a lot of fun, even though it's really frustrating to restart a trick for an hour straight... you need a lot of patience to start running OoT. Despite that, I'm just about to do another bingo now :v: http://twitch.tv/cosmowright

Peaches you are going to be doing this all night you fool

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

He did the Spirit Temple hover :stare:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

canoshiz posted:

Peaches did!? No way! I should've been watching that instead of terrible awful hockey.

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

Duet posted:

Peaches you are going to be doing this all night you fool

Guess I'm eating my words then nomnomnom

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

canoshiz posted:

I really hope Cosmo highlights that whole segment, it was really fun. It was a really dramatic end -- as I was running through the haunted wasteland to slam-dunk the Mirror Shield for my fifth square, Cosmo's like, "Uh, did you ever get Zelda's Lullaby...?" and I just knew from the tone of his voice I'd have to do that hover bullshit. I'm sure it'd be really informative, because honestly if Cosmo can walk my blind rear end through one of the most advanced tricks in OoT within an hour, it should really help the people who have attempted but struggle with it.

edit: http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright/b/297817945 1:06 is the start of everything, 1:45 is where I begin to successfully execute it

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 19, 2011

Setz
Feb 10, 2008

I just got two speedruns submitted to SDA for verification, but I imagine it'll be a while before they get enough verifiers. If anyone's interested in seeing a run of Advent Rising on Xbox and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex on PS2, I went ahead and uploaded them to my Youtube account.

Advent Rising - 22m16s

GITS: SAC - 49m47s

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Continuing the "SDA members holding gaming marathons for AGDQ funds" trend is romscout, who is holding a donation stream on Friday to help him get to AGDQ in January.

Info is here http://romscout.blogspot.com/ which also has a link to his TwitchTV stream, which is where the gaming will happen.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Cave Story TAS which is going to be the first Windows game on tasvideos.org:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NYJA-JGJx0

There's quite a lot backtracking and the first ~ten minutes are little slow but it picks from there and especially after getting jetpack in 34:30 it becomes pretty crazy.

My favorite part was 42:55-43:10

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 26, 2011

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Holy poo poo that was excellent.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Exactly what are they using to TAS a Windows game?

Edit - Never mind, I found the link to the forum post explaining it in the youtube video description. That's seriously impressive that he made the hourglass tool so that he could TAS Cave Story.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 26, 2011

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Grunz, Pokey, and Sockfolder have all contributed to finding a new way to skip the Door of Time in OoT without a sword:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVJmu_RHlus

This is a pretty huge find for Any%, since you can completely skip the Kokiri Sword by using a deku stick to do the relatively recent Aqua Escape and go straight to the temple of time after getting a bottle in Kakariko. It also helps low% too but who cares about low% :v: ZFG has been working on any% attempts with the new route. Right now he's a couple minutes up on Maxx's 59:55, the observed world record.

Kennel posted:

Cave Story TAS which is going to be the first Windows game on tasvideos.org:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NYJA-JGJx0

There's quite a lot backtracking and the first ~ten minutes are little slow but it picks from there and especially after getting jetpack in 34:30 it becomes pretty crazy.

My favorite part was 42:55-43:10

That was ridiculous. I could barely tell what was going on in a lot of parts. What are the limitations of what Windows games can and can't be TASed?

Setz posted:

I just got two speedruns submitted to SDA for verification, but I imagine it'll be a while before they get enough verifiers. If anyone's interested in seeing a run of Advent Rising on Xbox and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex on PS2, I went ahead and uploaded them to my Youtube account.

Advent Rising - 22m16s

GITS: SAC - 49m47s

Very cool, I haven't played either game but the annotated notes helped me understand a lot. Kinda wish more runs would do this (I'm guilty of being too lazy myself). Good luck finding verifiers, both my Armored Core and Fantasy Zone runs are rotting in the queue.

CVagts posted:

Continuing the "SDA members holding gaming marathons for AGDQ funds" trend is romscout, who is holding a donation stream on Friday to help him get to AGDQ in January.

Info is here http://romscout.blogspot.com/ which also has a link to his TwitchTV stream, which is where the gaming will happen.

Surprised I haven't heard of this until now, it looks pretty good. I'll be watching a bunch of it for sure and probably donate for a game or two :)

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 27, 2011

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Just thought I'd update, romscout's donation stream is off and running: http://www.twitch.tv/romscout

It's been going for a few hours, but it will be going all weekend and probably beyond that.

Upthorn
Apr 29, 2009

What are the limitations of what Windows games can and can't be TASed?
Hey, I helped Nitsuja test and debug this thing starting a couple of years back (long before the project was even announced to tasvideos), so I can answer this question in something resembling depth:

Hourglass is still kind of in its infancy. There are currently a number of hard limitations that will prevent a program from being compatible, including:
  • requiring use of a mouse or joypad
  • Using any of a number of graphics or sound libraries that haven't been hooked yet
  • Using multiple threads for game logic
However, even within the subset of games which doesn't do any of these, there are only a few which are really anything like stable and compatible at the moment.
Additionally, Nitsuja is developing on Windows XP x86, and doesn't have direct access to a machine with any other versions. So if you're using XP x64, or any version of Vista or Win 7, games are likely to be less stable for you (especially when it comes to loading states). And if you're using 2000, NT4 or any of the 9x's, you're flat out of luck.
Nitsuja does recognize that this is a pretty hefty set of limitations, and intends to do research into their causes and solutions, but thought it was equally if not more important that a quality TAS be produced and made public.

And that was a much longer post than I originally intended to make. I hope you find it useful.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It seems like it would be a lot easier to just do the WiiWare version with Dolphin. Any idea why he didn't go that route?

Upthorn
Apr 29, 2009
Because Cave Story is not the only game that the tool he wrote supports. (And the WiiWare version wasn't out when he started programming hourglass).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Cosmo's doing another OoT Training Camp stream with Peaches right now: http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Cosmo's doing another OoT Training Camp stream with Peaches right now: http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

We'll probably be doing this on and off for the next... maybe month or so? We're setting up a coach race where Cosmo teaches me stuff and ZFG teaches srl member Greg stuff, then Greg and I do an MST race and see who the better teacher/student combo is. So, if you want to see just how to do all the crazy tricks in MST, you should follow Cosmo and root me on as I struggle to do frame perfect bullshit :)

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
My wife will be excited to hear about that upcoming race.

She loves your can do attitude and being persistent as all hell.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm considering to start running Dark Souls, I stream myself doing run throughs pretty much every day and feel ready to start practicing

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

waspinator posted:

I'm considering to start running Dark Souls, I stream myself doing run throughs pretty much every day and feel ready to start practicing

When you do, let me know beforehand. I don't own any platform that can play that game and would dearly love to see it in practice, especially in speedrun format.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

We'll probably be doing this on and off for the next... maybe month or so? We're setting up a coach race where Cosmo teaches me stuff and ZFG teaches srl member Greg stuff, then Greg and I do an MST race and see who the better teacher/student combo is. So, if you want to see just how to do all the crazy tricks in MST, you should follow Cosmo and root me on as I struggle to do frame perfect bullshit :)

This sound incredibly exciting. I'll be rooting for you and Cosmo, of course. :toot:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

waspinator posted:

If you haven't watched the run that takes place in under 90 minutes, you should. Gives you a base to work on, but you gotta keep in mind that Pyromancy isn't as strong as it used to be

Better wait for the patch first.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I'd like to see a post patch run of Dark Souls, but it's entirely possible to clear cache on your console, take it offline and play the older on disk version instead. I know the official general rule on SDA is to use whatever version produces the fastest time.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

you should follow Cosmo and root me on as I struggle to do frame perfect bullshit :)

OoT is such a ridiculously hard game to learn to run. Pause buffering is a nightmare and pretty much required for the precision some of the tricks take. My right index finger is sore from holding Z and my controller might not make it out alive if I end up skipping 2 frames instead of 1 during another pause buffer.

At least you have a great coach like Cosmo there with you, I'll be watching and trying to learn along with you.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Upthorn posted:

However, even within the subset of games which doesn't do any of these, there are only a few which are really anything like stable and compatible at the moment.

:aaaaa: I would love to see a TAS of Iji. I've never done a proper speedrun of it, but I have done Ultimortal, no-kill, and no-damage runs, and would love to see it completely destroyed.

Ultimortal, Turbo Mode, Maximum Charge Tor anyone?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Well, it would have to be a challenge run I guess. The normal Iji speedrun is already pretty much perfect, and done by the creator himself :downs:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Samopsa posted:

Well, it would have to be a challenge run I guess. The normal Iji speedrun is already pretty much perfect, and done by the creator himself :downs:

I'm pretty sure that Turbo Ultimortal counts as a challenge run, yes. (No-one has ever beaten the game on that mode, largely due to the Turbo Asha.)

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
SDA updated a few days back with some nice short runs. Donkey Kong in 1:03, Kirby's Avalanche in 7:43, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers in 10:38, Final Fantasy Legend in 1:07:35, and Dragon Warrior IV in 4:52.

I thought DK was going to look stupid but it's pretty impressive for a 1 minute run... I never knew about that ladder trick. Kirby's Avalanche could potentially be improved a lot but CPU AI in those games can be a pain in the rear end, on top of being at the mercy of piece RNG. Chip n Dale was interesting to watch since my entire experience with it as a kid was playing it with my sister and us throwing each other off ledges until one of us furiously shut the game off :v: We never even got past B.

Tomorrow Cosmo will be at my house to teach me some more MST in person... I'm assuming we'll stream it although I'm not sure if it'll be on my account or his, but if you want to watch me learn more bullshit OoT tricks you should check it out. (last time I got stuffed by Bongo Bongo cause I had no bombs)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tomorrow Cosmo will be at my house to teach me some more MST in person... I'm assuming we'll stream it although I'm not sure if it'll be on my account or his, but if you want to watch me learn more bullshit OoT tricks you should check it out. (last time I got stuffed by Bongo Bongo cause I had no bombs)

This sounds like it'll be a blast. :allears: Can't wait.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Bongo Bongo will stuff you even if you do have bombs :v:

Not nearly as bad as Volvagia overall but if you miss ISG off the bomb you're hosed and the timing to get ISG off a crouch stab where you're unsheathing your sword is really slow and weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Kirby's Avalanche could potentially be improved a lot but CPU AI in those games can be a pain in the rear end, on top of being at the mercy of piece RNG.

I thought this was really impressive. I don't know how the runner can set up big chain combos in the half second it takes for each new drop like that.

I'm still waiting for the System Shock 2 run that was verified six months ago. I've beaten the game four times with various builds and I'm anxious to see the speedrun improvements.

• Locked thread