Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm stuck in a sort of Dark Souls funk. I have all the Lords to defeat yet but I don't really feel like fighting any of them. Of Nito and the other guys, who's the easiest?. I still have New Londo, the Demons, Tomb of the Giants, and a handful of other areas to beat yet I don't really like any of them.. I had a similar issue with the deeper areas in DeS, too :(

Maybe I'll restart as a cleric or mage.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why Atlus didn't publish it again this time around? Demon's Souls was pretty successful, I think. Was there some kind of contractual obligation between From and Namco that needed fulfilling?

Atlus is tiny. Having them do a global launch is probably close to impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh god what the hell is this thing on the wall in Blight Town? :cry:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
End game questions. I've got all the souls I need to fight the final boss. If I put the last one in the vessel am I required to go and fight the boss? I've got a checklist of things to do before finishing the game, like doing all my snugly trades so I don't want to lock myself out of all that.

How does this part of the game work? And is there anything else you would recommend doing before finishing up? How do I get to the covenant in Anor Londo? I don't think I have the ring I need...

Thanks folks!

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Sankis posted:

I'm stuck in a sort of Dark Souls funk. I have all the Lords to defeat yet but I don't really feel like fighting any of them. Of Nito and the other guys, who's the easiest?. I still have New Londo, the Demons, Tomb of the Giants, and a handful of other areas to beat yet I don't really like any of them.. I had a similar issue with the deeper areas in DeS, too :(

Maybe I'll restart as a cleric or mage.

Atlus is tiny. Having them do a global launch is probably close to impossible.

I just came to post the same thing. I just spent 20 minutes in New Londo to die right before the 4 kings steps (I think?), and now i'm back in firelink. I just...don't feel like playing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Does the magic ring scale of physical attack or will an enchanted weapon be just as ludicrous?

It scales off the currently equipped "R. Weapon" attack stat. Since the attack stat adds both normal and elemental damage together when calculating, it is generally disgustingly high. That number is what the ring shield bases its damage off of. In other words, you get a ridiculously powerful, non-elemental attack. It is ludicrous in every single way, and it's so loving great.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The Dukes Archive is a great area. Go and do that. Seath is pretty simple once you get to grips with him too.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That shield is straight up broken. On the other hand, it does suck for defense. Dunno. Seems like a boss rape get out of jail free card, but I suppose Iron Flesh is/was the same thing in DeS and this.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Nah, I didn't take the master key, I took the pendant. Early access to Queelag wouldn't have helped me much. The biggest hurdle is just getting through the capra demon to open the pyro trainer, and all that really takes is an upgraded hollow soldier shield. poo poo, you could kill it with nothing but firebombs if you want (like the Taurus demon).

I've leveled up a little more, to 21 (wanted some endurance), while farming titanite chunks from the skeletor dudes. I did most of the game so far at 15 though, all the way through Anor Lando and Sif. Current stats are 14 vit, 16 att, 16 end, 16 str, 12 dex, 12 res, 10 int, 8 fai. The 16 str was mainly for the drake sword, which certainly makes Queelag easier, though if you are really hellbent on keeping your level as low as possible you could go without raising strength at all. I am still waffling on which way I want to take this character. I could still make him into pretty much anything with his current stats.

Currently wearing Smeogh's armor, a lightning claymore +4, and havel's ring. Swiching out serpent ring and bellowing dragoncast rings depending on whether I need to farm or put on a good pyromancy show. The claymore was mostly because some things are irritating to hit with a spear. You seem to whiff on the ghosts in new lando ruins a lot, and you ever try to cut off gaping dragon's tail with a spear? The 2h R1 from the claymore makes it a lot easier.

Next major goal is probably taking out pinwheel, to see where the carry weight mask lands me while wearing the rest of fatty's set.

Thanks! Gonna go start on this character right now.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Leyburn posted:

End game questions. I've got all the souls I need to fight the final boss. If I put the last one in the vessel am I required to go and fight the boss? I've got a checklist of things to do before finishing the game, like doing all my snugly trades so I don't want to lock myself out of all that.

How does this part of the game work? And is there anything else you would recommend doing before finishing up? How do I get to the covenant in Anor Londo? I don't think I have the ring I need...

Thanks folks!

No, you can warp out even if you've placed all of the lord souls.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

smuh posted:

I just found out that the lady I saved from the Tomb of the Giants was killed. It's kinda obvious it was Petrus, but after checking the wiki for verification, it seems there was supposed to be a scene involving Lautrec and the full story on why Petrus wanted to kill her. I murdered Lautrec back when he started to be a creep long time ago, so what did I miss exactly?

I'll admit, I was confused by this. From what I caught of it, it was basically Lautrec saying something like "You should totally ask that Petrus dude about Rhae" and then you talk to him and he's all "Rhae went into the tomb and now her buddies went mad and now she's all alone and gonna get murdered mwahahaha!" Nothing like an actual motivation, just "Welp, bitch be hosed". So yea, dunno if I missed something big, but that's the gist of what I saw.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Mr. Wookums posted:

How the hell does the parry system work. I am getting parried but I can not do it to enemies for the life of me. Just lost a few K souls and two humanity trying to figure it out.

Also, do you get random humanity from just killing a lot. Not as a drop, but just in the top left.

Enemies that can parry have a specific stance when they do it that's different from both their block or normal stance, so watch out for it. If you want to attack when they're like this, do a jumping R2 attack.

To parry, wait until the enemy attack almost hit you, then hit L2 and then R1 right after for a riposte.

It's mostly about remembering the timing of enemy attacks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So considering he became invincible to my superweapon I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you kill the fat one first when you fight O and S.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How do I use my Titanite Shard? I'd love to use it on my Drake Sword to stand a sliver more of a chance at killing this loving drake.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Wildtortilla posted:

How do I use my Titanite Shard? I'd love to use it on my Drake Sword to stand a sliver more of a chance at killing this loving drake.

The drake sword needs dragon scales to upgrade.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

RBA Starblade posted:

So considering he became invincible to my superweapon I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you kill the fat one first when you fight O and S.

This is a Bad Idea. Skinny dude is waaaayyy more deadly in his superpowered form, and has a skewer attack that will one-shot anyone not in heavy armor.

I only did it that way because I am a crazy person and wanted Ornstein's armor. In my 15 white phantom kills on them, I have never had the host live through Super Ornstein.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Killing skinny first is easier. Super-fatty is easier to take down than super-skinny, due to super-skinny getting a really brutal impale attack.

That, and fatty's armor is more useful. Skinny's is certainly pretty pimping visually though. Neither of their weapons is particularly usable. If they fix scaling, the spear could potentially be really good. As it is, not so much.

Really, that is the biggest problem with weapons at the moment. It isn't that lightning weapons are too powerful. Compared to pyromancy and sorcery, they definitely aren't. The problem is that scaling is just way too weak.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I invaded Lautrec and killed him just as I got killed by a soul arrow from the mage in there. Didn't get the armor and can't get back to his world :mad::mad::mad:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea thats not too crazy of an idea, a +5 silver knights shield which is what ive been using for a long while has a crazy 87 stability and only weighs 6. Its really nice, aside from the crappy fire damage cut.
The silver knight shield is a great all-comers shield, not overly strong in any one area but doesn't have any glaring flaws either.

So Smough's armor is absolutely hilarious. Your arms and hands clip through the fat body. When you block with that armor on it looks like the shield is just stuck to his gut. My character is in his fat body suit walking around billy clubbing giants in the dick and giving no fucks.

Also you guys know you don't have to have the master key to shortcut to blight town. If you go into darkroot garden from parish, take the first right to the cliff side and follow it to the bottom, there will be a bonfire then valley of the drakes. You have to kill 2 drakes and the dragon zombie to get to blight town. Bring a bleed weapon for the former and fire bombs for the latter.

Honestly if you didn't want to rescue anyone or care about sparks or locked doors, moonlight butterfly, capra, and gaping dragon are optional as far as the plot is concerned.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Wildtortilla posted:

Consider swapping out for a different weapon or strategy at that point. If you find yourself considering spending the ludicrous cost for Drakesword upgrades, and you have that number of souls just lying around, you should probably be looking for a better weapon and upgrading it instead.

DeathSandwich posted:

moonlight butterfly
I feel like I missed something. What DID the moonlight butterfly give you, other than a boss soul? There's a divine ember up the tower beside her, but... uh, what else? It was a dead-end, which made the entire forest seem optional.

Also, grinding through the forest is honestly pretty fast, if you'd rather not exploit the garden / are in the forest covenant. You get something ridiculous like 2k souls a run if you stick to the main path and just take out the steel knight golem things and the occasional ent. They also all drop ridiculously fast to combustion.

I suppose 2k souls isn't quite as much, but for my level, it's an absurdly fast area. I'm taking my fancy new knight armor up as high as it'll go with titanite shards "just because" at this point.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 15, 2011

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

The Wise Teen posted:

I invaded Lautrec and killed him just as I got killed by a soul arrow from the mage in there. Didn't get the armor and can't get back to his world :mad::mad::mad:

The armor doesn't drop off him. Look around the top floor of the boss room after you kill them.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The Wise Teen posted:

You are fine. The armor is on a corpse upstairs outside of the princess's chamber.

DeathSandwich posted:

Also you guys know you don't have to have the master key to shortcut to blight town. If you go into darkroot garden from parish, take the first right to the cliff side and follow it to the bottom, there will be a bonfire then valley of the drakes. You have to kill 2 drakes and the dragon zombie to get to blight town. Bring a bleed weapon for the former and fire bombs for the latter.
poo poo, you don't even need to kill them. You can run by everything. The master key is super-overrated, really.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crowbear posted:

This is a Bad Idea. Skinny dude is waaaayyy more deadly in his superpowered form, and has a skewer attack that will one-shot anyone not in heavy armor.

I only did it that way because I am a crazy person and wanted Ornstein's armor. In my 15 white phantom kills on them, I have never had the host live through Super Ornstein.

Seriously? That's insane, considering plain old normal fatty can oneshot me if he hits me and the game accidentally clips me into his hammer.

While I'm here how do you aim the crystal ring shield's attack? Even when locked on it's a 1 in 3 chance between firing into the floor, firing into the ceiling, or actually firing forward.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Crowbear posted:

Host that summoned me earlier brought in Solaire and the two of them killed Smough as I managed to get Ornstein down to around 10%. He then immediately got murdered by Super Ornstein. Sigh.

The impale attack seemed to be what did it - every time he got nailed by it there was nothing I could do, and he kept letting Ornstein murder him with it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Seriously? That's insane, considering plain old normal fatty can oneshot me if he hits me and the game accidentally clips me into his hammer.

While I'm here how do you aim the crystal ring shield's attack? Even when locked on it's a 1 in 3 chance between firing into the floor, firing into the ceiling, or actually firing forward.
AFAIK lock-on is the only way. It won't aim properly unless you're in range though (the range on the shield is shorter than your lock-on range, so if you're too far, it won't connect.)

Kaelan Zero fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 15, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

If I were to rank them in order of difficulty, from least to most, it would probably go Seath (he's harder if you want to cut off his tail though), Nito, Izalith, Four Kings. Izalith is more of a puzzle boss so your mileage may vary with that one, but the area itself is pretty fuckin' nasty. Tomb of Giants is a pain, but it gets a lot simpler once you make it to the first bonfire.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I specifically wanted ornstein's armor and so I killed him last, it's a pain in the rear end but it's not impossible. You basically have to be extremely conservative and bait him as much as possible while trying not to trigger his impale shock attack.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

AFAIK lock-on is the only way. It won't aim properly unless you're in range though (the range on the shield is shorter than your lock-on range, so if you're too far, it won't connect.)

Oh, that's why. Well that presents a problem. Superfatty's AOE has a larger range than that so I can either fight indefinitely or lose instantly. Maybe I should snipe him.

I hope that item the dragonslayer dropped stays or is a assured drop because superfatty is an rear end in a top hat and just camps it and I died.

Literally every attack this fat gently caress does takes off 99% of my health, what the hell? The hits don't even connect and they hurt me.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 15, 2011

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Shalinor posted:

I feel like I missed something. What DID the moonlight butterfly give you, other than a boss soul? There's a divine ember up the tower beside her, but... uh, what else?

You get the key to access dragon dong guy down below where you fought the taurus demon.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

You get the key to access dragon dong guy down below where you fought the taurus demon.
Oh, bleh, lame. I took him out a waaaay long time ago.

... dammit, I guess I really DO just have Blighttown to do next. Unless I wanted to go fight respawning scary things in the dark :cry:

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!
Well I took another stab at Capra Demon and beat him although I don't feel like I could ever beat him consistently. I basically got lucky, as he got stuck on the side of the stairs allowing me a minute or so to take out the dogs. After that I just soul arrow'd him to death.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

andrew smash posted:

I specifically wanted ornstein's armor and so I killed him last, it's a pain in the rear end but it's not impossible. You basically have to be extremely conservative and bait him as much as possible while trying not to trigger his impale shock attack.

I just spammed the crap out of the crystal shield while he jumped around jerking between me and Solaire. Worked well enough, although he did skewer me a couple of times. Havel's armour ftw! I wanted the spear more then the armour. Sadly...

Filthy Monkey posted:

Neither of their weapons is particularly usable. If they fix scaling, the spear could potentially be really good. As it is, not so much.

Really, that is the biggest problem with weapons at the moment. It isn't that lightning weapons are too powerful. Compared to pyromancy and sorcery, they definitely aren't. The problem is that scaling is just way too weak.

This quote says it all. Super kick-rear end boss weapon is massively overshadowed by a simple lightning spear :smith:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Systems_Id posted:

Well I took another stab at Capra Demon and beat him although I don't feel like I could ever beat him consistently. I basically got lucky, as he got stuck on the side of the stairs allowing me a minute or so to take out the dogs. After that I just soul arrow'd him to death.

This is one game where I don't feel bad abusing bugs like that. Outright cheating would be wrong, but I figure if the game doesn't cut ME any breaks, I shouldn't let it off easy either. Guy can't figure out how to reach me? His loss! Bow and arrow time.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Oh, bleh, lame. I took him out a waaaay long time ago.

... dammit, I guess I really DO just have Blighttown to do next. Unless I wanted to go fight respawning scary things in the dark :cry:

Funny, you're complaining about respawning enemies and the Butterfly only coughing up a divine ember :tinfoil:

Divine up a weapon and laugh maniacally as those respawning enemies stop respawning!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Crowbear posted:

The armor doesn't drop off him. Look around the top floor of the boss room after you kill them.

Oh hurray thanks! I'm trying to do New Londo before I go up there so I guess I would have found out eventually, but that's much less annoying.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
Argh, I can understand why they didn't go with the dedicated server route like they did in the previous game, but right now co-op play is nearly impossible. I can deal with a little lag here and then but when the game full on STOPS for ten seconds at a time or I hit an enemy only to see a death animation half a minute later it makes me wonder if I should even bother putting down a summon.

If that's not bad enough, I get lag even when playing by myself. Not strictly offline, just in hallowed form without any other players. What's up with that?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

MadJackMcJack posted:

Funny, you're complaining about respawning enemies and the Butterfly only coughing up a divine ember :tinfoil:

Divine up a weapon and laugh maniacally as those respawning enemies stop respawning!
Unless I am greatly mistaken, I can't divine anything yet. I have to take something to +10 first, which requires a different sort of titanite thingy that I don't have any of yet. I can only buy the +5 ones from the smith, and I've found precisely one of the +5 to +10 type so far (which went into my shield).

I suspect that those will start dropping or be findable later in the game, but that does seem to lock me into Blighttown or bust mode.

EDIT: That said, I gather there's a divine sword somewhere in Valley Of The Drakes, which I suspect I could wander through now. But I should probably get Blighttown out of the way, since I think I have to go down through there if I want to become a dragon :rock:

MadJackMcJack posted:

This quote says it all. Super kick-rear end boss weapon is massively overshadowed by a simple lightning spear :smith:
I wouldn't want them to make boss weapons better, really, but it really does suck that boss weapons are simply inferior in every way to "normal weapon upgraded."

I feel like boss weapons and normal weapons should eventually be roughly equal, with the big difference that boss weapons all have crazy additional attack types or uses. So you aren't choosing one or the other because it's stronger, you're choosing whichever awesome weapon suits your playstyle the best. That'd really even the PVP playing field, too, and make it way more interesting. Spear beats slow weapon, fast weapon beats spear, super cool boss spear beats fast weapon but not X unless you use the Y attack, and so on - it'd really shake things up.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 15, 2011

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is one game where I don't feel bad abusing bugs like that. Outright cheating would be wrong, but I figure if the game doesn't cut ME any breaks, I shouldn't let it off easy either. Guy can't figure out how to reach me? His loss! Bow and arrow time.
Oh I don't feel bad about it at all, it's just that it's not a reliable strategy at all.

I also just got the bug where I can't talk to anyone or use the firelink. Nice.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
The first titanite demon (below Andrei) dropped a catchpole for me, and I've been using it ever since. It has awesome reach, and does more damage than the drake sword to most enemies (which wasn't obvious at first because of the stat split). Did I just get incredibly lucky? This thing is awesome.

The only thing I can't use it on is really fast stuff that likes to jump sideways (like the dogs around the drat Capra demon).

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

FuSchnick posted:

The first titanite demon (below Andrei) dropped a catchpole for me, and I've been using it ever since. It has awesome reach, and does more damage than the drake sword to most enemies (which wasn't obvious at first because of the stat split). Did I just get incredibly lucky? This thing is awesome.

The only thing I can't use it on is really fast stuff that likes to jump sideways (like the dogs around the drat Capra demon).

I've killed like 8 of those things with the drop rate ring and I still haven't seen one :argh:

Is there anywhere with respawning prowling demons?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Shalinor posted:

Unless I am greatly mistaken, I can't divine anything yet. I have to take something to +10 first, which requires a different sort of titanite thingy that I don't have any of yet. I can only buy the +5 ones from the smith, and I've found precisely one of the +5 to +10 type so far (which went into my shield).

I am fairly certain magic and divine upgrades only require the base weapon to be at +5. If you've reached the depths, the slimes there can drop green titanite shards used to upgrade weapons to divine, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Shalinor posted:

I suspect that those will start dropping or be findable later in the game, but that does seem to lock me into Blighttown or bust mode.

Actually, you only need to take a weapon to +5 to divine it, which requires green titanite. Sadly the best place to find green titanite is.....Blighttown :argh:

• Locked thread