Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I know I'm late late to the party but I just met Two-Bears-High-Fiving in Honest Hearts. I'm amazed by this reference as long time ago I dug out that mod from the Nexus when it had like 5 downloads and we had a good laugh from it in the New Vegas modding thread and now it made its way to the main game, fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Goons, I'm scared. I'm scared for the future of Fallout. Fallout is one of my favorite franchises ever... is there a remote possibility it could be destroyed by Bethesda? I mean, Obsidian made this fine piece of game... and I don't want the devil in disguise to destroy the wasteland and create a second Moira Brown or some inane poo poo like that :ohdear:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Moira was cool, what are you talking about.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Moira was cool, what are you talking about.

Yeah, Moira was awesome. You wanna pick on FO3, go ahead, but leave Moira out of it. :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You seem to be confusing us with NMA my friend.

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about the future. Considering New Vegas seems to made a bigger splash than FO3 I'm sure Beth wouldn't decide to not hire Obsidian again.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Every Fallout game needs a crazy Minnesotan quest-giver/store owner.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Given the fact that Fallout 3 actually resurrected a -somewhat- long dead franchise and made FNV possible, i think future looks bright. My only "concern" is the next game being a prequel or something that takes the timeline another hundred years forward (which i will probably put 100+ hours into it anyway).

Actually, the engine they are using for Skyrim doesn't look half bad with killing animations and ragdolls. If they can add Guns related special moves to the VATS i'll be more than happy.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Galewolf posted:

My only "concern" is the next game being a prequel

Well, as people said many times on the thread, Bethesda doesn't like prequels, so you can count that out.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 15, 2011

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
How would you even do another Fallout game that's not effectively a prequel, I mean New Vegas was basically entirely about the postapocalyptic era coming to an end and civilization reascendant. The future set following New Vegas would just wind up a generally retrofuturistic 50s-Western-America-with-superscience sorta deal featuring the NCR (or god forbid resurrecting the Brotherhood) but that's throwing out all but the absolute least essential element of the setting.

I guess if your objection is to the word "prequel" and the concept of pretending you're looking backward instead of forward on an entirely arbitrary fictitious timeline you could set Fallout 4 in some other hunk of desert and just say it's a few years later but none of the reformation of society that's taken place everywhere else has happened and everyone's just acting like it's a hundred years earlier because, okay. But Fallout doesn't have the broader conceptual underpinnings to do a Canticle for Leibowitz type deal and come out at all consistent, you leave the atomic Mad Max wasteland you're telling a different story.

Really New Vegas was a fine conclusion to the series. What I see in the responses to 'what would you want from a Fallout sequel' is all either dialing it back to prior installments or completely other games and settings with the Fallout brand stuck on them (Norway, really, seriously?), which seems to back that up. Squeezing the last drops of life out of the setting and name might suit Bethesda down to the ground, but as far as good games are concerned that'd all be better served by a new, different world and story.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 15, 2011

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

eating only apples posted:

Yeah here you go, rope kid posted it on twitter a while ago, went back and found it for you :).

Stay golden, Ponyboy.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I think there's plenty left to do with the franchise, plenty of places left to see. The Commonwealth's been talked about a great deal, I'd love to see that one day, from the little we've heard it sounds like it could be really fun. Also Desmond might be there :allears:

Upmarket Mango posted:

Stay golden, Ponyboy.
:confused:

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Galewolf posted:

Given the fact that Fallout 3 actually resurrected a -somewhat- long dead franchise and made FNV possible, i think future looks bright. My only "concern" is the next game being a prequel or something that takes the timeline another hundred years forward (which i will probably put 100+ hours into it anyway).

Actually, the engine they are using for Skyrim doesn't look half bad with killing animations and ragdolls. If they can add Guns related special moves to the VATS i'll be more than happy.

Evenyone seems to act like Fallout 3 Didn't win a ton of awards, sell a gazillion copies, and revive a dead franchise. I'm excited for the future of the series, at least for having a fallout game on the skyrim engine.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

How would you even do another Fallout game that's not effectively a prequel, I mean New Vegas was basically entirely about the postapocalyptic era coming to an end and civilization reascendant. The future set following New Vegas would just wind up a generally retrofuturistic 50s-Western-America-with-superscience sorta deal featuring the NCR (or god forbid resurrecting the Brotherhood) but that's throwing out all but the absolute least essential element of the setting.

I guess if your objection is to the word "prequel" and the concept of pretending you're looking backward instead of forward on an entirely arbitrary fictitious timeline you could set Fallout 4 in some other hunk of desert and just say it's a few years later but none of the reformation of society that's taken place everywhere else has happened and everyone's just acting like it's a hundred years earlier because, okay. But Fallout doesn't have the broader conceptual underpinnings to do a Canticle for Leibowitz type deal and come out at all consistent, you leave the atomic Mad Max wasteland you're telling a different story.

Really New Vegas was a fine conclusion to the series. What I see in the responses to 'what would you want from a Fallout sequel' is all either dialing it back to prior installments or completely other games and settings with the Fallout brand stuck on them (Norway, really, seriously?), which seems to back that up. Squeezing the last drops of life out of the setting and name might suit Bethesda down to the ground, but as far as good games are concerned that'd all be better served by a new, different world and story.

I think Bethesda's idea that you shouldn't do prequels is pretty harmful in the case of Fallout because of how nonsensical basically everything in Fallout 3 ended up being because it was set 200 years after the apocalypse.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Mr.Citrus posted:

Evenyone seems to act like Fallout 3 Didn't win a ton of awards, sell a gazillion copies, and revive a dead franchise. I'm excited for the future of the series, at least for having a fallout game on the skyrim engine.

They need to make the next Fallout on the Rage engine.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So I'm looking to buy some .45 ACP and can't find it in the mojave. I have that reloading skill but do not have any .45 casings to make it. What to do?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

So I'm looking to buy some .45 ACP and can't find it in the mojave. I have that reloading skill but do not have any .45 casings to make it. What to do?

If you finished Honest Hearts almost every vendor sells .45 Auto/+P/HP. Check Gun Runners or the guy at Mc Carran if you didn't exposed him already or sided with him, they should've updated inventory by now. Since the .45 isn't used in Mojave you can't find on enemies sadly.

Edit: According to wiki Great Khans Armourer sells those aswell.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 15, 2011

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
They could always have a second nuclear apocalypse - there's obviously plenty of working missiles around still, and it would fit with the theme of history repeating itself. The game could be set immediately after a nuclear war between the NCR and the Legion.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

They could always have a second nuclear apocalypse - there's obviously plenty of working missiles around still, and it would fit with the theme of history repeating itself. The game could be set immediately after a nuclear war between the NCR and the Legion.
That would be awful. Also, the Legion nuking anyone makes no sense.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

That's an unnecessarily complicated idea when there was already a perfectly good apocalypse.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Yeah, but then you could have, like, double-ghouls. What would really seem shoehorned-in would be the FEV Evolutionary Virus, or FEV-EV.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Galewolf posted:

If you finished Honest Hearts almost every vendor sells .45 Auto/+P/HP. Check Gun Runners or the guy at Mc Carran if you didn't exposed him already or sided with him, they should've updated inventory by now. Since the .45 isn't used in Mojave you can't find on enemies sadly.

Edit: According to wiki Great Khans Armourer sells those aswell.

That's weird since I did beat it (I'm wearing joshua graham's armor) but the ammo did not appear at the gun runners and every other vendor. I'd spend 1000 caps to fill up on just that ammo. Oh well...

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Just cause New Vegas was real good doesn't mean you can't make more fallout games. Hell they still have never gone back to the west coast and there's plenty of areas that haven't been seen but have been thought of. People were saying the same thing after Fallout 3 as well. Oh why are they making another Fallout when 3 just came out!

I wouldn't mind them returning to the west coast and having a fallout game with some actual cities in it. Would be a nice contrast in having the safe cities with the wasteland outside them. Saying there is nothing more to see and do in the world of Fallout is just being unimaginative.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

eating only apples posted:

Upmarket Mango posted:

Stay golden, Ponyboy.

:confused:

He's referencing the novel The Outsiders, which might be a silly way of saying thanks, but there ya go.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Doug Lombardi posted:

That's an unnecessarily complicated idea when there was already a perfectly good apocalypse.

I know, but Bethesda doesn't do prequels. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went with a second apocalypse idea.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

a kitten posted:

He's referencing the novel The Outsiders, which might be a silly way of saying thanks, but there ya go.

Ah! :v: Gotcha. Knew I should've read that book...

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

I know, but Bethesda doesn't do prequels. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went with a second apocalypse idea.

I think Avellone's said before that he'd like to re-nuke America. Get Fallout back to its roots or something. Who knows, Beth's got the reins now.

edit:

GoldenNugget posted:

That's weird since I did beat it (I'm wearing joshua graham's armor) but the ammo did not appear at the gun runners and every other vendor. I'd spend 1000 caps to fill up on just that ammo. Oh well...

You might need to give the vendors time to refresh their inventories?

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

Galewolf posted:

If they can add Guns related special moves to the VATS i'll be more than happy.

Every special move would be "SHOOT CROTCH"

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

V!ntar posted:

Every special move would be "SHOOT CROTCH"

I'd settle for an eye shot or three too. Also i am kinda missing the fluff text for items, it is something small but i loved reading those.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Galewolf posted:

I'd settle for an eye shot or three too.

"My mother got the eggs from a Deathclaw she kept in the shed. Then a stranger came along and shot it in the eye. :saddowns:"

vvv same here. Absolutely amazing how much of the original games came flooding back just from a stray comment here and there. Think my favourite was the entirety of New Reno coming to me when the singer guy mentioned off-handedly how he'd ploughed someone's daughter. Obsidian. :allears:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 15, 2011

jvempire
May 10, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

"My mother got the eggs from a Deathclaw she kept in the shed. Then a stranger came along and shot it in the eye. :saddowns:"
That reference in game made me laugh more than it should have.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Galewolf posted:

Also i am kinda missing the fluff text for items, it is something small but i loved reading those.

If you want to do some searching, it's terribly vague, but I seem to remember Rope Kid adressing the lack of it here or on his Formspring.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I mean.. you could put it back it... but it would take forever.

Kick groin is what I miss most.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I have seen everything there is to see in New Vegas and all its DLCs except for Gun Runners, so I'm playing through Fallout 3 again. I installed the Fellout mod to take away that loving awful Matrix green tint the whole game had and I have to say, that alone is making me enjoy the game much more than I did the first time around.

New Vegas, though, is unparalleled. I'll have to wait a few years to really be sure but it might be my favorite game of all time. It's already trumped Fallout 2 as my favorite Fallout Game.

I really hope Obsidian gets another shot at Fallout.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

HitTheTargets posted:

Yeah, but then you could have, like, double-ghouls. What would really seem shoehorned-in would be the FEV Evolutionary Virus, or FEV-EV.

Super Duper Mutant dog spotted:

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

poptart_fairy posted:

vvv same here. Absolutely amazing how much of the original games came flooding back just from a stray comment here and there. Think my favourite was the entirety of New Reno coming to me when the singer guy mentioned off-handedly how he'd ploughed someone's daughter. Obsidian. :allears:

Meeting Marcus was like meeting Wrex in ME2.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Super Duper Mutant dog spotted:

These are kind of dogs I imagine that roam Denver.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I'm trying to stick to one-handed guns. Is there any one in particular I should look for? I've been using Maria, Lucky, and a GRA Hunting Revolver.

Judging from what everyone has been posting, I should be looking for A Light in Shining Darkness?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

I'm trying to stick to one-handed guns. Is there any one in particular I should look for? I've been using Maria, Lucky, and a GRA Hunting Revolver.

Judging from what everyone has been posting, I should be looking for A Light in Shining Darkness?

That Gun.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I just hit on 2 lightswitches. I think I have a problem...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Nail Gun. One handed, silent, cripples limbs, fastest one handed gun in the game.