Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I remember hearing Van Hammer worked at a Rose's in Maryland, either in southern MD or the eastern shore, and I looked for him whenever I happened to visit one. Most, if not all, Rose's stores are gone, so I have no idea what he could be doing. He wrestled a little while for Maryland Championship Wrestling, but left that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Van Hammer wasn't even the most forgettable guy in the flock :psyduck:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
from the top of my head, ravens flock consisted of:

Raven (duh)
Perry Saturn
Van Hammer
Lodi
Scotty Riggs
Sickboy
Reese
Kidman
Kanyon

I think Sickboy wins as the most forgettable member of the Flock. I can't even remember him wrestling.

edit: somehow I always confuse Kurrgan and Reese.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Was Sickboy the guy with the eyepatch?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Was Sickboy the guy with the eyepatch?

No, I think Scotty Riggs had an eyepatch. I don't remember a thing about Sickboy past his name.

e: wow, apparently Scott Vick (Sickboy) was supposed to be involved in the Katie Vick angle! Who knew?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Vick

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

DreamingApe posted:

Raven (duh)
Perry Saturn
Van Hammer
Lodi
Scotty Riggs
Sickboy
Reese
Kidman
Kanyon

I think Sickboy wins as the most forgettable member of the Flock. I can't even remember him wrestling.

I could remember every flock member except for Sickboy, so that pretty much proves the point, since I was going for Reese or Riggs.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wasn't Stevie Richards part of the Flock too? I don't think he ever wrestled but he always seemed to be around until he bolted for WWE.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I only remember half of the members of The Flock because of WCW vs. NWO: Revenge

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

flashy_mcflash posted:

Wasn't Stevie Richards part of the Flock too? I don't think he ever wrestled but he always seemed to be around until he bolted for WWE.

He was part of the Flock for first few appearances but failed a medical and was fired.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 14, 2011

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Sikki Nixx posted:

Has anyone seen the stro's wikipedia page lately? It looks to be written by the stro himself, or a obsessed (most likely goon) fan. It lists every match he's had in the past 2 years. And stop hating on Van Hammer! Any wrestler with a hair metal gimmick is a god in my book.

That makes me sorta sad, really.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sikki Nixx posted:

Has anyone seen the stro's wikipedia page lately? It looks to be written by the stro himself, or a obsessed (most likely goon) fan. It lists every match he's had in the past 2 years. And stop hating on Van Hammer! Any wrestler with a hair metal gimmick is a god in my book.

80+% of the edits in the past year come from a single IP address and then a user named "Stromedia1".

That's kind of sad.

edit:

And the other 20% are either bots or people reverting his edits.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Toffile posted:

80+% of the edits in the past year come from a single IP address and then a user named "Stromedia1".

That's kind of sad.

edit:

And the other 20% are either bots or people reverting his edits.

Pretty sure that's the name he uses for his youtube channel and things too. Ugh.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

DreamingApe posted:

Raven (duh)
Perry Saturn
Van Hammer
Lodi
Scotty Riggs
Sickboy
Reese
Kidman
Kanyon

HORACE! You could tell he was a degenerate because he wore black jeans and a kinda flannel-y vest thingy.

When I think dark and counterculture I think Horace.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Was Horace actually Hogan's nephew? What ever happened to him? You'd think Hogan would be able to get him a decent gig somewhere.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Was Horace actually Hogan's nephew? What ever happened to him? You'd think Hogan would be able to get him a decent gig somewhere.

He was Hogan's nephew.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minges posted:

For what it's worth, Hammer wasn't there for the full ten years. He took most of the mid-90's off before reappearing in a mesh shirt with the nipples cut out in the Flock.

Wow, he did apparently vanish for two years. I do still believe he was around the most compared to other wrestlers who brought absolutely nothing to the table, but I guess it's good that it wasn't an entire decade of Hammer.

Horace was actually a regular in FMW for a long time and after WCW he was briefly under a developmental deal. He vanished after that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Yes. He is the son of Hogan's (deceased) brother. I think he got signed to a WWE developmental deal post-WCW but I don't think it ever panned out.

Also apparently Hogan's sister-in-law was the aunt to Mike Awesome. :psyduck:

edit:

Anyone want to book him as a motivational speaker?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 15, 2011

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Why would you think this? Hogan can't even get himself a decent gig somewhere

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Minges posted:

HORACE! You could tell he was a degenerate because he wore black jeans and a kinda flannel-y vest thingy.

I can't believe i forgot Horace!

:(

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
The Horace/Van Hammer question is interesting on who had the best random good match. Van Hammer had that one Falls Count Anywhere match with Foley; but Horace had that weird lucha/FMW 6-Man tag. Van Hammer had to do more; but the Horace match was probably better.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Willninho posted:

The Horace/Van Hammer question is interesting on who had the best random good match. Van Hammer had that one Falls Count Anywhere match with Foley; but Horace had that weird lucha/FMW 6-Man tag. Van Hammer had to do more; but the Horace match was probably better.
Van Hammer had an outstanding match with Bret Hart in 1998 on Nitro.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Van Hammer had an outstanding match with Bret Hart in 1998 on Nitro.

I don't think I see that match as even average. The psychology of it is so backwards. Matches like that are always what I look at when I think of how little of a poo poo Bret gave in WCW after they hosed over the program with Flair. Hart is a master of wrestling psychology but goes out there and just has the worst structured match possible. Maybe it is just how clunky Hammer has and how it was essentially heel vs heel, but it's so bad and the fans don't give a poo poo. It takes a stinker to have a 1998 crowd not give a poo poo.

Edit: I say essentially heel vs heel since at first I thought it was in a Bret face period, but it wasn' t. Hammer had apparently already turned too. So the psychology is less bad but the structure and Hammer's wrestling are terrible. His offense is just wretched for a face it threw me off rematching it now.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 15, 2011

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2bJL09Y826c#t=182s

I am just going to leave this here.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
...I was bored and googled Van Hammer matches to get a better idea of of how terrible he was. My verdict there is he's about a 3/10. He wasn't the worst ever, but he was painfully generic and unimpressive.

But something dawned on me. WCW was so hosed up that VAN HAMMER was politicking to some degree of effectiveness. We already have the Major Stash/Private Stash story.

-Seemed to be presented as #2 Flock Flunkie behind Saturn despite probably being only more talented than Reese.
-He's the first out of the Proto-Job squad Flock. Theory could be he requested it because he thought himself above it.
-He has a match vs. Sid. Apparently monster push Sid, US Champion, needs Rick Steiner's help to beat Van Hammer.
-Gets a 10 minute fairly even match with Bret Hart on Nitro despite it really making no sense.
-The Botchamania vid just posted.

Supposedly he was friends with DDP(given a pic someone posted), but it's still abit astounding that it wasn't just Nash/Hogan/etc. running the asylum. Everyone was.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

I don't think I see that match as even average. The psychology of it is so backwards. Matches like that are always what I look at when I think of how little of a poo poo Bret gave in WCW after they hosed over the program with Flair. Hart is a master of wrestling psychology but goes out there and just has the worst structured match possible. Maybe it is just how clunky Hammer has and how it was essentially heel vs heel, but it's so bad and the fans don't give a poo poo. It takes a stinker to have a 1998 crowd not give a poo poo.

Edit: I say essentially heel vs heel since at first I thought it was in a Bret face period, but it wasn' t. Hammer had apparently already turned too. So the psychology is less bad but the structure and Hammer's wrestling are terrible. His offense is just wretched for a face it threw me off rematching it now.
Yikes. I haven't seen the match since 1998. Ugh. Not sure why I marked so hard for it back then.

Sikki Nixx
Sep 3, 2011

Whether you like it, or you don't like it, learn to love it! WOOOOO!

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

...I was bored and googled Van Hammer matches to get a better idea of of how terrible he was. My verdict there is he's about a 3/10. He wasn't the worst ever, but he was painfully generic and unimpressive.

But something dawned on me. WCW was so hosed up that VAN HAMMER was politicking to some degree of effectiveness. We already have the Major Stash/Private Stash story.

-Seemed to be presented as #2 Flock Flunkie behind Saturn despite probably being only more talented than Reese.
-He's the first out of the Proto-Job squad Flock. Theory could be he requested it because he thought himself above it.
-He has a match vs. Sid. Apparently monster push Sid, US Champion, needs Rick Steiner's help to beat Van Hammer.
-Gets a 10 minute fairly even match with Bret Hart on Nitro despite it really making no sense.
-The Botchamania vid just posted.

Supposedly he was friends with DDP(given a pic someone posted), but it's still abit astounding that it wasn't just Nash/Hogan/etc. running the asylum. Everyone was.

The fact that Hammer politicked isn't what surprises me, after al, WCW, but its the fact that he could play politics on the level of sid, an ex champ in both major feds, yet he couldn't avoid ending up in MIA, rank notwithstanding

bartok
May 10, 2006

I can only remember two Van Hammer matches. One was his surprisingly fun Falls Count Anywhere match against Cactus Jack. The second match I remember happened during his time with Raven's Flock where he gets squashed in under three minutes by Chris Benoit.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Chunky Delight posted:

I can only remember two Van Hammer matches. One was his surprisingly fun Falls Count Anywhere match against Cactus Jack. The second match I remember happened during his time with Raven's Flock where he gets squashed in under three minutes by Chris Benoit.

I love Foley's story about the Falls Count Anywhere match, namely "This guy can't wrestle for poo poo, but he's pretty athletic and he'll do anything I tell him", so he just turned it into a series of fun crazy spots.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
For some reason, the brief period when Van Hammer was helping Juventud Guerrera is what I remember about him.

He helped Juvi beat Reese and then gave him a piggyback ride.

Sikki Nixx
Sep 3, 2011

Whether you like it, or you don't like it, learn to love it! WOOOOO!
So basically we've determined that Van Hammer is the second greatest man ever to lace up a pair of boots second only to the stro, who has the saddest wikipedia page of all time? Good thread guys. It only took us two years to get to this point.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm pretty sure that's not what people were saying, but way to extrapolate. Just that as bad a worker as Van Hammer was, he did provide a handful of entertaining matches/moments in the eyes of some.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CVagts posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not what people were saying, but way to extrapolate.

The man was making a joke. :smith:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MrBling posted:

For some reason, the brief period when Van Hammer was helping Juventud Guerrera is what I remember about him.

He helped Juvi beat Reese and then gave him a piggyback ride.

I only ever remember him coming out with a stringless Flying V that somehow disappeared during his matches. That really bothered me.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Lone Rogue posted:

Ciclope: Was once played by Dean Malenko to the biggest pop in WCW history

Really if there's any cruiserweight/luchadore that I can remember as being irrelevant to... well pretty much everything it's Super Calo. Even Lizmark Jr. had an appearance in WCW Mayhem at least.

triplexpac posted:

I freakin' loved the Natural Born Thrillers.

That era really was great for companies trying to push new stars.

Plus the Thrillers were a pretty big part of WCW in its last year or so from what I remember. Also I kind of liked High Voltage when I was a kid, or at least Kenny Kaos because I'm a sucker for jobbers suddenly "making it" even if the circumstances around that were kind fo stupid from what I remember.

As for the Flock, I can't remember if Scotty Riggs was actually any good as a wrestler but I remember liking the initial storyline with Raven injuring him so he could get him to join the Flock.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Suben posted:

Really if there's any cruiserweight/luchadore that I can remember as being irrelevant to... well pretty much everything it's Super Calo. Even Lizmark Jr. had an appearance in WCW Mayhem at least.

Hector Garza. Super Calo at least was a good breakdancer.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

whatsabattle posted:

Hector Garza. Super Calo at least was a good breakdancer.

The master of the Corkscrew Plancha!?!?

Silver King was the lamest luchador.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
The best luchador was El Dandy and I will permaban anyone who says otherwise.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Moose Bigelow posted:

Who is anyone to doubt this post?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Moose Bigelow posted:

Bret Hart naming him number one contender still rules even today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Bret Hart naming him number one contender still rules even today.

I WAS AT THAT NITRO! It ended when Goldberg cleared the ring with the help of Brett Hull, Herschel Walker and Chuck Norris.

gently caress this company.