Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Silly aesthetic question but, is it possible to have a "background" instead of the white for blank/loading pages? It's mainly cause the bright white is hard on my eyes sometimes. I already have a dark theme for everything else, so I'm just wondering.

e: and/or a way to dim the default white (I realize I could gently caress with my monitor but it's perfect for everything else)

Daynab fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Daynab posted:

Silly aesthetic question but, is it possible to have a "background" instead of the white for blank/loading pages? It's mainly cause the bright white is hard on my eyes sometimes. I already have a dark theme for everything else, so I'm just wondering.

e: and/or a way to dim the default white (I realize I could gently caress with my monitor but it's perfect for everything else)
Firefox, Options, Content tab, Colors button, Background Color.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

Alereon posted:

On that note, I really wish Mozilla would find some way to deal with their Netscape-era development practices that make the project so horribly inefficient. They KNOW that Bugzilla is a black hole where filed bugs will never be looked at by anyone and where patches languish years waiting for reviews, yet all they seem to do about it is schedule bug days to sprint through a portion of the backlog, and they often still have more bugs at the end of the bug day than at the start. I see plenty of posts on Planet Mozilla from people recognizing the nearly insurmountable barriers to becoming a Firefox contributor, and they have a contributor engagement team, but things seem to keep getting worse with time.

Yes we know triage and review are issues, as is prioritization of non-feature work. There are multiple efforts underway to try and address these issues and make things better. But that necessitates change and the project is very adverse to process change IMO (I don't know why). This is a problem the community is going to have to address (and by community I mean not just paid people).

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Bieeardo posted:

Unfortunately I also discovered an annoying new wrinkle in the way Firefox handles tabs. Instead of being able to drag and drop them onto the bookmarks bar, you have to hold control, then drag and drop the tab. Apparently it's supposed to emulate the file explorer 'click and drag to move, modifier key to do something else' interface, but I found it unintuitive.

Toast Museum posted:

On what version? That's not the case for 7.

Aurora, v9.xxxxx. Sorry for not coming back this way in over a week.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Alereon posted:

THANK YOU! Can't believe I never noticed that before. This helps greatly.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Alereon posted:

Can you clarify how Electrolysis is different from what I described so I know where I misunderstood? My understanding is that Electrolysis is the overarching project to break more and more tasks out of the main Firefox process.

Multi-threading can be (and typically is) done within a single process. Splitting processes as in Electrolysis carries some significant benefits (reduce the scope of what's affected by crashes, improved security from restrictions on what can cross processes), but it also adds a lot of complexity to the development and adds a lot of overhead when things in different processes have to communicate with each other.

Mozilla could, with comparative ease, distribute more work onto background threads within the same process, and allow greater responsiveness from the main UI thread. In my experience/opinion, Firefox's only significant remaining disadvantage compared to a certain other browser is the smoothness; even after many years of supposed improvements Firefox still stutters very frequently.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Zhentar posted:

Multi-threading can be (and typically is) done within a single process. Splitting processes as in Electrolysis carries some significant benefits (reduce the scope of what's affected by crashes, improved security from restrictions on what can cross processes), but it also adds a lot of complexity to the development and adds a lot of overhead when things in different processes have to communicate with each other.

Mozilla could, with comparative ease, distribute more work onto background threads within the same process, and allow greater responsiveness from the main UI thread. In my experience/opinion, Firefox's only significant remaining disadvantage compared to a certain other browser is the smoothness; even after many years of supposed improvements Firefox still stutters very frequently.

Yeah, same thing. I really really want tabs as separate processes. In fact, if I had it my way, I'd tell the FF dev team to stop everything they're doing, and only work on tabs as separate processes. I think it's that important. Web pages are getting more and more JS-heavy, and a really complicated page can lock up the entire browser for a second or 2. Looking at individual tabs, I don't think there's really a speed difference anymore between Chrome and FF, but looking at the browser as a whole, Chrome is definitely faster since one tab loading won't hold up the others.

Is there any public discussion on the progression of tabs as separate processes? I know this was talked about as a big priority several years ago, and they got everyone all excited with plugin-container.exe, but then they just seemed to have stopped working towards splitting tabs into separate processes. The Electrolysis wiki page is extremely outdated.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Using the 8.0 Beta. It's just informed me that it has deleted my outdated version of the Flash 64-bit plugin.

Usefully, downloading and running Adobe's latest installer ('install_flashplayer11x64_mssd_aih.exe') does absolutely nothing, even when run as Administrator.

Anyone got any ideas?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Fangs404 posted:

Looking at individual tabs, I don't think there's really a speed difference anymore between Chrome and FF, but looking at the browser as a whole, Chrome is definitely faster since one tab loading won't hold up the others.

To a large extent, it won't in Firefox either. Relatively few things require blocking the main thread, and those still won't necessarily block other tabs from continuing to load in the background. I think that now the most noticeable thing that will block the main thread is garbage collection, which can really stutter things up if it's working too hard.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Zhentar posted:

To a large extent, it won't in Firefox either. Relatively few things require blocking the main thread, and those still won't necessarily block other tabs from continuing to load in the background. I think that now the most noticeable thing that will block the main thread is garbage collection, which can really stutter things up if it's working too hard.

This is a very :nws: example, but http://www.myfreecams.com/ locks up the entire browser when it loads. It happens as it's downloading all of the pictures (I do have pipelining enabled), but while it's downloading those images, I can't switch tabs or do anything else in FF except wait for them to load. Contrast this with Chrome which will allow you switch tabs at your heart's content while the page is loading. I've noticed similar behavior on really image-heavy tumblr sites.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Fangs404 posted:

Yeah, same thing. I really really want tabs as separate processes. In fact, if I had it my way, I'd tell the FF dev team to stop everything they're doing, and only work on tabs as separate processes. I think it's that important. Web pages are getting more and more JS-heavy, and a really complicated page can lock up the entire browser for a second or 2. Looking at individual tabs, I don't think there's really a speed difference anymore between Chrome and FF, but looking at the browser as a whole, Chrome is definitely faster since one tab loading won't hold up the others.

You don't need separate processes to do that, firefox's UI thread just likes to lock up.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

pokecapn posted:

You don't need separate processes to do that, firefox's UI thread just likes to lock up.

It still may the final frontier that they can work on to improve speed however. The lockup wouldn't be an issue if Firefox loaded the nsfw link above as fast as Chrome does. On my system it can sometimes be a 3-5 second difference on loading that page.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Does anyone else have an issue with bookmarks randomly not saving? Or am I going crazy?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

NOTinuyasha posted:

Does anyone else have an issue with bookmarks randomly not saving? Or am I going crazy?

No problems here. You got any funky extensions installed? What version you running?

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Bad profile?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I work in firefox all day long, and one thing (the only thing) I really miss from IE is the tiny *chck* sound I get when I click a link. It just makes me happy. Can I have that in firefox (on a Mac, if it matters)?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Daynab posted:

Silly aesthetic question but, is it possible to have a "background" instead of the white for blank/loading pages?

Alereon posted:

This is pretty cool until you realize that it's not just changing your about :blank and loading pages, it's changing every page that doesn't have a background color specified. Not very helpful when your job is web design. :)

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

jackpot posted:

I work in firefox all day long, and one thing (the only thing) I really miss from IE is the tiny *chck* sound I get when I click a link. It just makes me happy. Can I have that in firefox (on a Mac, if it matters)?

This looks promising: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/navigational-sounds/

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I have this problem with watching videos on blip. It might be other websites like that, but for the moment it's just this. Whenever I watch a random video, there's this distortion that randomly pops up. These black squares would show up all over the video. Is this a problem with Firefox? Does anyone else have this happen to them too? I was told to update my plugins, and I have and the problem is still there. Does any other web browser do this? Can someone help me out here?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Thunderfinger posted:

I have this problem with watching videos on blip. It might be other websites like that, but for the moment it's just this. Whenever I watch a random video, there's this distortion that randomly pops up. These black squares would show up all over the video. Is this a problem with Firefox? Does anyone else have this happen to them too? I was told to update my plugins, and I have and the problem is still there. Does any other web browser do this? Can someone help me out here?
I haven't seen this problem, but I don't watch things on blip.tv. If you're sure you've got the latest version of Adobe Flash, then update your video drivers. Flash uses the hardware acceleration offered by your video drivers for decode and rendering, so old drivers can cause graphical issues.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Alereon posted:

I haven't seen this problem, but I don't watch things on blip.tv. If you're sure you've got the latest version of Adobe Flash, then update your video drivers. Flash uses the hardware acceleration offered by your video drivers for decode and rendering, so old drivers can cause graphical issues.

I just tried to do that and it said that the best drivers were already installed.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Thunderfinger posted:

I just tried to do that and it said that the best drivers were already installed.
What videocard do you have? You have to actually go to the video chipset manufacturer (AMD, nVidia, Intel) website and download the current drivers.

GarlicPepper
May 31, 2004

Does anyone else have a problem with Firefox becoming sluggish after running for about eight hours?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Anjow posted:

An update to my problems:

I made a backup of my old profile, then removed FF using CleanApp to remove any trace of it. I installed afresh and copied my original profile over. If I launch it via the terminal:

/Applications/Internet/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin

It works perfectly, using the old profile. If I launch it via the .app icon or the dock, it doesn't work. So it seems that SOMEHOW this is related to how I launch the application, and is nothing to do with my profile. Can anyone think why this would work when I launch it via the terminal, but not other ways? This makes no sense to me.

Anjow,
I had the same problem and it threw me for a whirl for a while until I found the same solution as you... now whenever it does that I just load up Terminal and press up (a number of times if I've done other work in Terminal) to load that command and then my old profile will work. Even having the Profile Manager load at start won't solve the problem- which really confuses me! I'm guessing it might have to do with one of our add-ons but that doesn't necessarily explain the entire problem. Pretty frustrating in the end, especially because I have yet to find anyone (besides you) with the same problem.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

GarlicPepper posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with Firefox becoming sluggish after running for about eight hours?
I generally leave it running all day without issues. It might be that a plug-in is misbehaving and consuming a lot of CPU, or it could be due to memory usage. Try going to about :memory and clicking the "Minimize memory usage" button, if that helps memory was probably the issue.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

GarlicPepper posted:

Occasionally. Memory leaks, while lessened, still exist. Restarting generally fixes that, and Restart Firefox lets you put a button on the toolbar to do so in one click.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Alereon posted:

I generally leave it running all day without issues. It might be that a plug-in is misbehaving and consuming a lot of CPU, or it could be due to memory usage. Try going to about :memory and clicking the "Minimize memory usage" button, if that helps memory was probably the issue.

If it's sluggish due to high memory usage, it's a safe bet that the minimize memory usage button won't fix it. It generally gets sluggish because there's too much that the garbage collector/cycle collector won't fix, in which case the indicator is just a very high memory usage (or just memory usage that considerably increases over the the time it takes to become slow).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Zhentar posted:

If it's sluggish due to high memory usage, it's a safe bet that the minimize memory usage button won't fix it. It generally gets sluggish because there's too much that the garbage collector/cycle collector won't fix, in which case the indicator is just a very high memory usage (or just memory usage that considerably increases over the the time it takes to become slow).
Yeah but hitting the button manually (especially tapping it a few times) can be more effective than just waiting on GC/CC, especially since there are optimizations to skip/reduce the frequency of GC in certain situations to improve responsiveness. It's not as good as a restart by any means but it can buy you time or help you locate a problem.

GarlicPepper
May 31, 2004

Yes it's probably the memory usage which doubles after six or so hours. Restarting fixes the problem but I wonder why Firefox does this in the first place.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If you take a look at about:memory, you'll probably see compartments for pages you've visited in the past but aren't currently open, and their presence is probably the result of having a broken extension installed that keeps stray references to DOM objects around.

GarlicPepper
May 31, 2004

Found the culprit, it was Pando web plugin. I don't know how that got there but after I removed it no more memory leak.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Firefox has been doing this incredibly annoying thing lately. I'll try to open up a page and it will try to load it with no success, along with any other tabs from then on. To get it working again, I have to close firefox and start over, in which case it works perfectly. This "lagging out" or whatever has been happening at seemingly random intervals.

Anybody had this problem before or know how to fix it?

edit: whelp firefox has stopped working entirely for me. pages dont load ever anymore

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 22, 2011

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How do I get Firefox to automatically remove every downloaded file tab on the bottom of the screen? It only does that with pictures.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

Scalding Coffee posted:

How do I get Firefox to automatically remove every downloaded file tab on the bottom of the screen? It only does that with pictures.

That's a feature of an addon rather than Firefox, probably Download Statusbar. Change it in its settings screen.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What's that theme that allows you to put the tabs in the title bar on Mac OS versions? I went through all ten pages of this thread and couldn't find it for the life of me. Maybe it was in the old thread.

Is the theme buggy at all?

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

Mak0rz posted:

What's that theme that allows you to put the tabs in the title bar on Mac OS versions? I went through all ten pages of this thread and couldn't find it for the life of me. Maybe it was in the old thread.

Is the theme buggy at all?

Do you mean tabs on top? or OneLiner (prospector labs thing)http://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/07/28/oneliner-moves-navigation-to-the-tabs-toolbar/

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone noticed Aurora not handling cookies properly over the last few days? I can stay logged into SA with no trouble, but Twitter and other forums consistently log me out even when I tell them to remember me. I tried clearing the cache and deleting my cookies, but whatever's happening is persistent.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Bieeardo posted:

Has anyone noticed Aurora not handling cookies properly over the last few days? I can stay logged into SA with no trouble, but Twitter and other forums consistently log me out even when I tell them to remember me. I tried clearing the cache and deleting my cookies, but whatever's happening is persistent.
I haven't noticed that, I'd try renaming your cookies.sqlite file and letting it generate a new one, it could be a database issue.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Mike Shaver has a post up on Planet Mozilla about JavaScript performance, the interesting part is that he mentioned that Mozilla CTO (and JavaScript inventor) Brendan Eich demonstrated yesterday at the SPLASH conference an H.264 decoder written in JavaScript decoding video in realtime (30fps) on a laptop CPU. Another interesting aspect of this is that the JavaScript was translated from a C library using an automated tool, Emscripten, which compiles LLVM to JavaScript.