Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kild posted:

They don't heal

Yes they do. The bar goes back to full health. I've taken Ornstein down a couple times then get killed by Slough, usually his AOE attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Sheep-Goats is awesome. :worship:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Kild posted:

They don't heal

Unless something changed from a couple nights ago, they do.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The.GreyWolf posted:

Unless something changed from a couple nights ago, they do.

They didn't heal in my fight.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Kild posted:

When you kill one the other one heals to full when they go super sayan. It's happened all 2 dozen times I've fought them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Kild posted:

I'll add that Smough definitely refilled after I killed Ornstein in my fight.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RedTonic posted:

I'll add that Smough definitely refilled after I killed Ornstein in my fight.

Weird Smough was left at like 2/3 hp after I killed ornstein.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Crowbear posted:

When you kill one the other one heals to full when they go super sayan. It's happened all 2 dozen times I've fought them.

Have you ever tried killing one just as the other dies? You get a few seconds before the cutscene triggers so I've been curious about whether or not it's possible. It seems like something From would let you do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why does the ruins now have NO sign of life in it? No messages, no ghosts, and of course no summon signs. I spent a hard-won humanity in order to ask for help, but there's not a single goddamn person here!!

I even restarted the game a few times as someone suggested, the result is always the same.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why does the ruins now have NO sign of life in it? No messages, no ghosts, and of course no summon signs. I spent a hard-won humanity in order to ask for help, but there's not a single goddamn person here!!

I even restarted the game a few times as someone suggested, the result is always the same.

Which ruins? Londo or Demon?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I've gotten zero bites on Quelaag. Maybe nobody is on right now?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RedTonic posted:

Which ruins? Londo or Demon?
Londo. That's where I have been stuck for days now. Given that I don't plan to give the vessel to Frampt, this is basically the only place left that I can still go that I haven't taken care of yet.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
SL 25 currently. Did Burgh-Parish-Lower Burgh-Depths. Where should I be going next? Blighttown?

e: Also, can I get any decent upgrades at this point? Playing as a Warrior.

Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011
Goddammit, I hate killing Sif. This is the second time I've killed him and I still get horribly sad/depressed about killing him. I got him down to his last slither of health and I just watched him for a minute or two pathetically trying to beat me. It's just when he starts triping over his own attacks and limping towards me, it doesn't feel like I'm fighting a boss anymore, but instead having to put down a dog. :(

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
By upgrades do you mean new weapons? Enhancing your gear is the best way to upgrade. I've been using this claymore for a really long time, and it's still my weapon of choice.

You have Blighttown or the forest as your main options, I think.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

How the gently caress do you cut off Seath's tail? I swear I've hit that thing as close to the tip as I possibly could for over 500 damage, and it still won't come off. I'm getting really drat tired of running through these stupid crystal caves when I could have beaten him ages ago if not for trying to get this sword I can't even use.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

lohli posted:

You got your links the wrong way around

Oh thanks. Fixed it.

I'm going to repost that page occasionally until Jetpack Postman notices it. I tried to PM him but he doesn't have plat.

Edit: For the new page

Table of Contents summary:

Getting Started: Character Selection, Starting Gifts, How to Succeed at Dark Souls
Game Mechanics: Humanity, Stats, Poise, Magic, Upgrading Equipment, Multiplayer, Covenants
Preferred Equipment: Armor, Shields, Catalysts, Rings, Farming Equipment, Weapons
Specific Advice: Curing Curse, De-aggroing NPCs, Don'ts, Early Equipment, Farming Souls, A PvM Build to ~SL25, Sticking Points

45 total pages. PDF.

Download options
Mediafire (v1.0, October 15, 2011)
Megaupload (v1.0, October 15, 2011)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh thanks. Fixed it.

I'm going to repost that page occasionally until Jetpack Postman notices it. I tried to PM him but he doesn't have plat.

Edit: For the new page

Table of Contents summary:

Getting Started: Character Selection, Starting Gifts, How to Succeed at Dark Souls
Game Mechanics: Humanity, Stats, Poise, Magic, Upgrading Equipment, Multiplayer, Covenants
Preferred Equipment: Armor, Shields, Catalysts, Rings, Farming Equipment, Weapons
Specific Advice: Curing Curse, De-aggroing NPCs, Don'ts, Early Equipment, Farming Souls, A PvM Build to ~SL25, Sticking Points

45 total pages. PDF.

Download options
Mediafire (v1.0, October 15, 2011)
Megaupload (v1.0, October 15, 2011)
When's your dissertation defense going to be?

edit: did something about the game seriously just change an hour or two ago? It's like I am playing in offline mode all the sudden, but it didn't say so.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 16, 2011

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

In the Painted World, how far in is the NPC Phantom who drops the Old Monk hat? I need to figure out how many shortcuts I need to unlock before reviving; drat harpies be killin my rear end

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Zetsubou posted:

Goddammit, I hate killing Sif. This is the second time I've killed him and I still get horribly sad/depressed about killing him. I got him down to his last slither of health and I just watched him for a minute or two pathetically trying to beat me. It's just when he starts triping over his own attacks and limping towards me, it doesn't feel like I'm fighting a boss anymore, but instead having to put down a dog. :(

It's the worst. :(

I just did this on my second character.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zetsubou posted:

Nooooo, why did I read this. :smith:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I've heard bad things about focusing dex. If I'm at 20 dex and plan to use mainly dex items, would it be reasonable to raise that to around 30? I also kind of want to get faith up a bit higher so I can use better miracles.

Or should I be working on my 15 vit, 16 end?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Sacrificial Toast posted:

How the gently caress do you cut off Seath's tail? I swear I've hit that thing as close to the tip as I possibly could for over 500 damage, and it still won't come off. I'm getting really drat tired of running through these stupid crystal caves when I could have beaten him ages ago if not for trying to get this sword I can't even use.

You have to cut close to the tip, which is difficult because a lot of the time the spot you're supposed to cut is clipping into the wall. It barely has any HP though so it'll only take a few hits to get the tail off when you get the right spot.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, I can still write messages and leave summon signs in the Londo ruins, so it's not like the game actually went into offline mode or anything. So what the hell is the deal?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Elysiume posted:

I've heard bad things about focusing dex. If I'm at 20 dex and plan to use mainly dex items, would it be reasonable to raise that to around 30? I also kind of want to get faith up a bit higher so I can use better miracles.

Or should I be working on my 15 vit, 16 end?

I personally have sworn off of leveling str and Dex past what weapons you want to focus on. End is just too useful. Elemental enhancements play a major part of your damage before something like SL150. IMO focus on STR/DEX in NG+.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Sarcophallus posted:

It's the worst. :(

I just did this on my second character.

There's a rumor that you can spare him and get the Moonlight sword if you're in the Forest Hunter covenant. I didn't spare Sif, there wasn't a way for me to try to attack the sword. I read that you attack his sword to do it (obviously once he's limping for your best shot) and that doing so breaks your deal with the cov.

If it's true, I don't know.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So, I can still write messages and leave summon signs in the Londo ruins, so it's not like the game actually went into offline mode or anything. So what the hell is the deal?
So many variables need to be right for you to interact with someone that there's a reasonable chance that the dice were not in your favor.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Probably the best use for it on average is upgrading the silver shield you can get in Anor Londo. Just so you know, twinkling titanite is a semi-rare drop off clam enemies, so you can get more if need be. If you haven't seen any yet, you will, because their hard to miss!
The only reason to upgrade the silver shield is pure style points. Otherwise just upgrade the Hallow Shield. Takes generic mats and it ends up as one of the best stability-per-weight shields in the game. Better than the silver shield too.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

RedTonic posted:

There's a rumor that you can spare him and get the Moonlight sword if you're in the Forest Hunter covenant. I didn't spare Sif, there wasn't a way for me to try to attack the sword. I read that you attack his sword to do it (obviously once he's limping for your best shot) and that doing so breaks your deal with the cov.

If it's true, I don't know.

It's not

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It took me, a buddy, my good friend the Knight Solaire, and Captain America's shield but we finally kicked Slough and Ornstein's loving asses. Eat poo poo and die!

adj
Oct 31, 2007

The Wise Teen posted:

In the Painted World, how far in is the NPC Phantom who drops the Old Monk hat? I need to figure out how many shortcuts I need to unlock before reviving; drat harpies be killin my rear end

He's in the courtyard, the shortcut is that set of doors you have to open that are right by the bonefire.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh thanks. Fixed it.

Some comments on errors.

The princess guard miracle stuff isn't right. Those miracles are found as drops. I don't think she has a vendor.

Darkmoon sword is a weapon-buff miracle, I think, not an actual weapon.

For the chaos bitches, I might mention that shortcut opens up a fast path to the respawning titanite demon. If you are really into titanite and want to stock up, opening that shortcut is a good idea. Plus, it is the only way to save Soliare.

Darkwraiths don't actually require you to do any invading or killing, as far as I am aware. You just turn in humanity. You can get it from invading though, if you wish. I know I did.

In the equipment section, you say that Havel's set comes from killing Havel, which isn't true. It is from a hidden chest in Anor Londo.

For farming, dark Anor Londo is good for getting souls too. The two fuckers you can kill drop 5k each.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pendant does not give any additional plot stuff in the game. It's used simply for giving to the birds.

Those two "Princess" miracles drop in the archive. I don't know if you need to be in Princess Guard to cast them or see them drop, I kinda doubt it. They dropped for me when I was in the Warriors of the Sun covenant, but I did join the Princess Covenant for all of 5 minutes much earlier in the game.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Sheep-Goats' Neat Homemade Guide posted:

Male or Female is an aesthetic choice only in Dark Souls. As is the facial generator. Just don’t pick neon colored hair because I won’t summon you if you look like you fell out of a special edition Sucker Punch DVD case.

:lol:

Amazing work on the guide by the way, looks like this will be a really great go-to for anyone not able to get their hands on the FuturePress guide, at least until the Wikis start getting more reliably & accurately updated.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

So many variables need to be right for you to interact with someone that there's a reasonable chance that the dice were not in your favor.
Well, I'd like to control as many of them as I can, anyway. I have a summon sign down in Anor Londo right now, hoping to pick up some souls. It has at least a few more messages than other places. Is level 50 +/- 10% a wasteland for players or something?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

drat, this game has amazing atmosphere. First Ash Lake, then meeting Gwynevere. It feels like an Arthurian legend or something to me, this is amazing.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Sumixam posted:

Is there a trick to Capra Demon? There just isn't room to do anything to him in that area.

Get your shield up and try to make your way to the staircase. Eventually you're bound to make it up there. Then, you should be able to kill the dogs. Then just sidestep the Capra Demon and hit him in the butt.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Sheep-Goats posted:

This is god drat amazing man, great work, get the OP to add this!

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the game, I just got the Lordvessel from Anor Londo and it is now occcuring to me that I should spend as much time as possible with the game now since the already low amount of people online, as far as I have seen anyways, will just get worse over time. So many of the covenants require you to interact online in some way, and in a few months I just don't see that being possible :(. I'm gonna be doing a lightly armoured pyromancer after I finish off my current heavily armoured badass run, while the online scene is still good.

EDIT: wow is this really at almost 400 pages, maybe time for a new OP with all the new info/beginners guide?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I'd like to control as many of them as I can, anyway. I have a summon sign down in Anor Londo right now, hoping to pick up some souls. It has at least a few more messages than other places. Is level 50 +/- 10% a wasteland for players or something?

On the 360 I had the most luck finding level 50ish players at the end of Sen's. Maybe try gaining a few more levels for Anor Londo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

darkhand posted:

I personally have sworn off of leveling str and Dex past what weapons you want to focus on. End is just too useful. Elemental enhancements play a major part of your damage before something like SL150. IMO focus on STR/DEX in NG+.
End it is! Also, on leveling I got ?ActionEventInfo?. Whatever, OK.

Is Poison Mist good? It looks awesome.

• Locked thread