Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Ok. WTF is this poo poo?

I am playing a single player offline game and I did not build this...

They are made of glass blocks and seem to go all the way from the bottom of the sea(?) to the "ceiling" of the map".

It doesn't look like there's something special down there, but its deep and the bottom very irregular, so I can't say for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Get to digging. There are strongholds down there!

(those won't be in the final release)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hellvis454 posted:

What mod makes your item bar look like that?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

ThndrShk2k posted:

Even x64, Java 7, and/or lowering viewdistance? How much ram you got?

Yep. 8gb.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Pretty sure it's Sphax's texture pack.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/376784-16x-32x-64x-128x-256x-512x19pre3-sphax-purebdcraft-aetherzipline-v093-101011/

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Macaluso posted:

Hell, they aren't even in pre4. In pre3 strongholds seem to be forced to spawn around 0,0. It's also nice to see that even the devs get a lot of mileage out of the humble dope tower.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Aspergite time!

Redstone question: I've been driving myself nuts with this for the last hour or so. I'm trying to make a set of pistons that will push up/down to raise and lower two blocks of sand, like so:

becomes

and then when the lever is turned off, the delay switches make everything come back down again in order. This works perfectly! However it's on ground level, and needs to be hidden underground, so I build:

(please ignore slightly bad screenshot, not sure what happened there). As you can see, this is the EXACT same layout, only underground. However, the lower piston does not activate at all, and the upper piston does. What's going wrong here?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Aspergite time!

Redstone question: I've been driving myself nuts with this for the last hour or so. I'm trying to make a set of pistons that will push up/down to raise and lower two blocks of sand, like so:

becomes

and then when the lever is turned off, the delay switches make everything come back down again in order. This works perfectly! However it's on ground level, and needs to be hidden underground, so I build:

(please ignore slightly bad screenshot, not sure what happened there). As you can see, this is the EXACT same layout, only underground. However, the lower piston does not activate at all, and the upper piston does. What's going wrong here?

I think that you got bitten by a block update bug. Mostly, I noticed that the first repeater doesn't actually power the bottom piston (that redstone line is a +, which means that it isn't directed, and won't power pistons), both of them will be powered by the side circuit, which is not what you want. By "side circuit" I mean the line that is on the left of your screenshots. You can fix this by removing those wooden blocks (on the left) and one of the repeaters. You only need one repeater, to delay power off by two ticks for the bottom piston, so run two lines to the bottom piston, one just straight from the switch, one through a repeater.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Petr posted:

Yep. 8gb.

I'd make sure that minecraft is using the best java on your system, and if it already is then I'd tweet to notch/jeb a pastbin of your system specs and say that there's a bug or something since you should not be getting that issue still if they're fixing it bit by bit and you see no improvement while others see major improvement.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Yeah! Fist time I see a stronghold (I got there already). And gently caress those things that seem to spawn from stonebrick blocks...

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Indeed.

Hi. Im Leeroy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 16, 2011

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Anyone having problems with using the eye of ender to find a stronghold? When I use it it does go in a line but it kind of glitches back and forth rather than floating in one direction. I followed it and then dug down and I did find an underground canyon/abandoned mine but I can't find the stronghold. It looks like its leading me down into the bedrock.

I originally generated this map with like 1.8, is that maybe the reason?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Petr posted:

and there's no way to turn it off

Good news: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/91544-181sep-15-lahwrans-mods-worldeditcui-polygons/
http://lahwran.net/NoVoidFog-v1-1.8.zip

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Aspergite time!

becomes

There's actually a bug in Minecraft (I'm convinced it's a bug anyway) that I've been meaning to make a video about for a while now and it looks like you may be running into it. What it requires is a piston that is unpowered having a block that is edgewise-diagonally above it which is powered. If anything is updated in any of the blocks next to the retracted piston, then the piston will extend if it is able (this is the standard "block update detector" effect). The bug in this case is that the piston will also extend if a piece of redstone or a redstone repeater up to two blocks away has its state changed (either by changing its powered state or by having a piece of redstone or a repeater placed next to it). What this means for your setup is that the the wood block diagonally above the top piston powers, then the bottom piece of redstone powers, and since that piece of redstone is within two blocks of the top piston, both pistons are sent commands to extend.

Now, as to why the different effect in different places: When two things are supposed to happen simultaneously in Minecraft, those things are actually given an order to happen pseudorandomly via Java HashSets (see here for a clearer explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt7YEYdx6RE), which means that every time that exact set of simultaneous things are told to happen, they will happen in the same (but-not-predictable-before-testing) order as long as everything that is involved in the entire action is the same, but unfortunately it turns out that the exact location of the action matters (as well does the size of the HashSet currently saved in memory, which is determined by the largest simultaneous action that occured since the map was loaded).

What this means from a general design perspective, then, is that you have to take into account the "powered block edgewise-diagonally above a piston" thing (both when powering and depowering the block), the fact that redstone and repeaters changing state will update pistons two blocks away, and you also have to make sure after all of that to never have two contradictory effects occuring as a result of the same action, otherwise you will get different results at different locations and different results depending on what had been done prior in that loading of the map. Also note that a downward- or horizontally-directed piston which is extended while being unpowered experiences similar affects (adjacent updates or redstone/repeater updates two blocks away will cause the piston to retract... such an extended and unpowered piston may be set up by the above technique and then depowering or even removing the edgewise-diagonally above block that was powered).

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Willie Trombone posted:

1,000,000 words about redstone

Thanks for all the info, shame it's a bug :( I'm kinda dense when it comes to this stuff, could you spell it out in layman's what needs to be done to get this sorted? Can I rearrange it slightly to make it work in this area, or change the delays perhaps?

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Thanks for all the info, shame it's a bug :( I'm kinda dense when it comes to this stuff, could you spell it out in layman's what needs to be done to get this sorted? Can I rearrange it slightly to make it work in this area, or change the delays perhaps?

The first thing that occurs to me is to simply power the top piston with a repeater (so move the end wood block down, remove the other top wood block, and put a repeater pointing toward the piston at the end of the redstone). To keep all of your timings correct, you would need to add another repeater to the redstone going to the left. After that it should work consistently but it will be one tick slower.

The second is to simply move the right-most repeater in your current design, the redstone in front of it, and the redstone behind it down one meter (this technically takes up more space, though).

Edit: Even simpler, put a dirt block to the right of the bottom piston and have the repeater aim at that instead.

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 16, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Willie Trombone posted:

The second is to simply move the right-most repeater in your current design, the redstone in front of it, and the redstone behind it down one meter (this technically takes up more space, though).

I love you so much.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I have to ask.. what purpose does gold serve? The pickaxe makes Smooth stone and.. that is basically it? Really don't see a reason to ever use gold for anything. Vanilla version of the game.

C-BOX
Feb 7, 2010

by Debbie Metallica

Kortel posted:

I have to ask.. what purpose does gold serve? The pickaxe makes Smooth stone and.. that is basically it? Really don't see a reason to ever use gold for anything. Vanilla version of the game.

You can use it to make a watch, powered rails and detector rails. I think that's about it, it's pretty much worthless.

vvv That only takes iron. :)

C-BOX fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 16, 2011

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

C-BOX posted:

You can use it to make a watch, powered rails and detector rails. I think that's about it, it's pretty much worthless.

And a compass, let's not forget!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

gravyflood posted:

And a compass, let's not forget!

A compass is 4 Iron and a Redstone.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

C-BOX posted:

Detector rails use iron, man. On the other hand, powered rail is definitely a handy thing.

EDIT: so 1 out of 3, then.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Kortel posted:

Mining with a gold pick makes smooth stone?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Wait what? No, surely not...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Don't gold tools work really fast, but aren't very durable?

I think at one point the gold hoe was exactly as good as a diamond one, probably in a Harvest Moon reference, but I'm not sure if that's still true.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
A gold tool lasts 32 uses.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Petr posted:

It doesn't work. Also, I'm having the "out of memory" error, and none of the various fixes and .bat files posted all over the place fix it. WTF?

Working as intended. There's now a darkness fog effect below a certain level. It's loving terrible, it sucks, and there's no way to turn it off. Did you have giant underground halls you were proud of? Too loving bad!

Well shite. Let's hope that it becomes toggleable or goes away entirely. I hate the new coloured lighting as well because there's a colour change with each block change, and I'll be damned if I put on smooth lighting because that makes everything even darker!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Gold is semi-useful as armor. It's the same quality as leather, which isn't great, but if you don't have enough materials to make iron/diamond armor it's alright.

Other than that, yeah, it's basically garbage.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Orv posted:

Wait what? No, surely not...

I doesn't, a friend got some info mixed with a SMP server.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Kortel posted:

If you're using painterly (like Jesus intended) you get to be a mighty king.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kortel posted:

I doesn't, a friend got some info mixed with a SMP server.

Thank the gods. It feels like every time I visit this thread, my entire Minecraft paradigm is utterly rocked. Nice to escape that for once.

What am I saying, that's what's great about this thread. Still, I thought I'd learned everything there was to know about vanilla Minecraft. :unsmith:

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 16, 2011

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Powered rails make gold useful enough that I can't get enough of it.

Just build vast rail networks that operate over extremely variable terrain. You'll soon find yourself appreciating your gold stockpile a bit more.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Only on SMP servers running a plugin which makes it do that (like mine).

It's a nice trade-off; a gold pick axe smelts ore but wears-out quickly.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

President Ark posted:

Gold is semi-useful as armor. It's the same quality as leather, which isn't great, but if you don't have enough materials to make iron/diamond armor it's alright.

Other than that, yeah, it's basically garbage.

It's worth noting that in prerelease 3 gold helmets are just as beneficial as iron helmets. That can potentially useful, if you're low on metal for whatever reason.

This also means you can have your kingly crown without penalty.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Willie Trombone posted:

:words:

Is this why my 2x2 piston door setup won't work, and leaves one of the blocks unextended? :( I wish I was smarter so I could figure out why it was happening.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
It's looking right at me, Ray...

So I just found a spooky torch. In a stronghold beneath a stronghold* there's a torch in the middle of the hallway -- literally the middle -- floating in the air at a jaunty angle and it turns to follow my movements.

Glitch or ghost? I've been playing 12 hours straight, and there are zombie noises and there's tons of stuff in these newest pre-releases I haven't even begun to screw with yet.

* I had those glass towers from the top of the page too. Except it seemed like a pretty boring stronghold so I just started to mine it for stones. Then I found out that multiple stones can explode simultaneously releasing silverfish. (Not horrible foes but freaky) and I started tunneling beneath it for the bedrock when I encountered another stronghold. I bet these f'ers are all part of the same complex too.

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 16, 2011

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Is this why my 2x2 piston door setup won't work, and leaves one of the blocks unextended? :( I wish I was smarter so I could figure out why it was happening.

I'd have to see your exact setup to know for sure, but assuming that you are directly powering all of the pistons in the setup, I would guess you have some other issue because this bug only causes extension failures when two pistons are conflicting in their commands to extend.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
My friends and I just created a new world with 1.8 a few weeks ago. I love it except for one thing. There are no wolves. Nowhere. I've been in and through several pine forests all over the map. Lots of other passive mobs but no wolves or signs of them. :( none of my other friends have seen any either.

Is this a thing? Anyone know why this might be?

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends
Holy poo poo, you guys need to see this.

Idles
Dec 31, 2007
Just idling.

OurLivesOnline posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys need to see this.

:aaaaa:

That is amazing. I'd been imagining a sci-fi Minecraft game since I started playing, but someone's managed to make an adventure map that does it perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Zoe posted:

If you're using painterly (like Jesus intended) you get to be a mighty king.

You can also have gag gold tools that look like a bunch of gold bars stuck together on a stick.