Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

V!ntar posted:

Goons, I'm scared. I'm scared for the future of Fallout. Fallout is one of my favorite franchises ever... is there a remote possibility it could be destroyed by Bethesda? I mean, Obsidian made this fine piece of game... and I don't want the devil in disguise to destroy the wasteland and create a second Moira Brown or some inane poo poo like that :ohdear:

:goonsay: I understand you all hate Bethesda for whatever stupid reasons, but you people can't actually think like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

jackofarcades posted:

I'm trying to stick to one-handed guns. Is there any one in particular I should look for? I've been using Maria, Lucky, and a GRA Hunting Revolver.

Judging from what everyone has been posting, I should be looking for A Light in Shining Darkness?

Well A Light in Shining Darkness is probably the best pistol in the game, on par with Ranger Sequida. It benefits from Grunt perk (%25 dmg), uses semi-exotic ammo (45-75 can be painful to find/buy) and pretty much can kill anything during single VATS round. Only problem with that is the iron sight is a little bit off, i had better real time performance with upgraded regular 9mm pistol. I used to love Lucky but it has a fixed cylinder so it takes ages to reload.

I don't like Nail Gun at all no matter how broken it sounds.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Someguy posted:

:goonsay: I understand you all hate Bethesda for whatever stupid reasons, but you people can't actually think like this?

I will say it again: NMA literally banned someone for looking forward to Fallout 3 pre-release. This guy's probably keeping it in check.

Honestly I'm kind of hoping Bethesda (who will almost certainly make their own Fallout 4) just sticks to the east coast, so the stories of the west remain pretty isolated. I didn't hate Fallout 3 like some people but the writing really was atrocious compared to New Vegas, so if they must continue on with their ridiculous bullshit plotlines, it staying contained to one side of the United States is preferable.

Still, I have hope. Point Lookout was definitely a step in the right direction in terms of overall quality (bullet-sponges aside, which was my only real complaint) and feeling like a legitimate place. It had tribals, people growing vegetables and distilling their own liquor, funny super-science a la OWB (as opposed to the bad super-science of Mothership Zeta), better quests and sidequests in general, etc.

I think Skyrim might be a good indication of what to expect out of the next Fallout, honestly.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Wolfsheim posted:

Honestly I'm kind of hoping Bethesda (who will almost certainly make their own Fallout 4) just sticks to the east coast, so the stories of the west remain pretty isolated. I didn't hate Fallout 3 like some people but the writing really was atrocious compared to New Vegas, so if they must continue on with their ridiculous bullshit plotlines, it staying contained to one side of the United States is preferable.
The story was the #1 problem with Fallout 3 and if they could get a competent writer on board then the mechanics are definitely there to back him/her up.

Even the bulk of Fallout 3's story and side quests weren't that bad. There were some groaners but I generally enjoyed the game. Unfortunately, it was bookended by awful, awful writing that tainted my overall impression of the game.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Still, I have hope. Point Lookout was definitely a step in the right direction in terms of overall quality (bullet-sponges aside, which was my only real complaint) and feeling like a legitimate place. It had tribals, people growing vegetables and distilling their own liquor, funny super-science a la OWB (as opposed to the bad super-science of Mothership Zeta), better quests and sidequests in general, etc.

Yeah, but lets be honest, those tribals were preeeeeetty ghetto. They were actually just a stupid cult that worshiped a ghost or something (I don't remember).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I wouldn't mind Fallout 4 as long as they bring in somebody that could write plot and dialogue and use the mechanics of FNV.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I found F03 very disappointing, though a lot of my frustrations came from a very poisoned well of Oblivion poo-pooing. I was torn between wanting to try and enjoy one of my favorite franchises of all time and the game too often making it hard to do just that.

I'm sure Bethsoft will do FO4, and hopefully it will be another East Coast game, with lots of iconic imagery and it will sell bajillions of copies which then they can pass back to Obsidian for another NV-quality game. My heart will always be with Black Isle/Obsidian and their take. I've put more hours now into NV than F03 and Oblivion combined and then some.

Frankly, I don't care were Obsidian takes us next. It could be in the future, another country, or outer space. As long as they get to do another one.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Assumethisisreal posted:

Yeah, but lets be honest, those tribals were preeeeeetty ghetto. They were actually just a stupid cult that worshiped a ghost or something (I don't remember).
Why are you talking about the Honest Hearts tribals in a discussion about Point Lookout? :confused:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Strudel Man posted:

Why are you talking about the Honest Hearts tribals in a discussion about Point Lookout? :confused:
Perhaps the same could be said of all reliffffffffffff

Honestly, they could make a stealth based game about dicking around with the Vault 101 Overseer by photocopying your rear end and planting copies in strategic locations and I'd probably buy it if they got Roy Brown on the soundtrack.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 31, 2017

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

the balloon hoax posted:

The story was the #1 problem with Fallout 3 and if they could get a competent writer on board then the mechanics are definitely there to back him/her up.

Even the bulk of Fallout 3's story and side quests weren't that bad. There were some groaners but I generally enjoyed the game. Unfortunately, it was bookended by awful, awful writing that tainted my overall impression of the game.

You mean you didn't like it when you were at the end and you intelligently deduced that the best course of action was to send your robot buddy into the purifier, and then Ron Perlman called you a coward and your Mr. Gutsy a hero?

Actually, my biggest complaint with Fallout 3 was the choices. In New Vegas I could pretty much play as the Mojave's #1 bastard from start to finish. In Fallout 3, my choice was (1)help out my dad with his water purity project, assist the noble BoS in retrieving the FEV from Vault 87, fighting my way back to the water purifier, then install the FEV to save the Capital Wasteland with clean, fresh water, or (2)do all of that but gently caress over everybody (including yourself) at the end for no other reason than HAHA gently caress THE WORLD. Like, there's literally no way around it, you absolutely have to help your dad and have to help the BoS, and the only evil you can do isn't some sort of selfish opportunism, its "I want to make things worse for myself and everyone else for no reason."

Assumethisisreal posted:

Yes, but it was at least a step in the right direction.

As long as we're throwing out our Fallout fanfiction, I literally couldn't care less where its set but I've always wanted to play as a ghoul. I know it'll never happen because having a bunch of alternative NPC dialogue would be way too much work (or worse, having no one react to it whatsoever) but its a nice thought. Ghouls are generally some of the biggest badasses around, and they're poo poo on by everyone, so you could even kind of have that 'everyone hates you' dynamic that people loved about Morrowind.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 16, 2011

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

No, I mean the Point Lookout tribals were ghetto. They were just a goofy cult that lived in a church. The HH tribals were "real" tribals.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

50 Foot Ant posted:

I wouldn't mind if they redid Fallout: Tactics with the new style. That game was pretty much panned for some reason (One of the reasons I left NMA was because of how people acted over the game) but I thought it was pretty good with a real Fallout feel around it.
I thought reviews were generally favorable except for on NMA where everyone poo poo on the game, probably because NMA posters were dyslexics who misread ": Tactics" as " 3".

Unfortunately I was young and impressionable at the time, and I didn't realize what joyless cretins the NMA folk were. I was surprised when I got around to playing Fallout: Tactics and genuinely enjoyed it. It's definitely not a Fallout game (in the vein of 1 or 2), but it makes good use of the setting and is pretty fun. My biggest complaint is that they used real-world weapon names instead of their Fallout analogs, but that's easily modded away.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Assumethisisreal posted:

No, I mean the Point Lookout tribals were ghetto. They were just a goofy cult that lived in a church. The HH tribals were "real" tribals.
Yeah, I was joking that "cult that worships a ghost" could describe the Sorrows' veneration of the Survivalist.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Wolfsheim posted:

You mean you didn't like it when you were at the end and you intelligently deduced that the best course of action was to send your robot buddy into the purifier, and then Ron Perlman called you a coward and your Mr. Gutsy a hero?
Hey now, there were plenty of lovely things about Fallout 3's story, but that Gutsy was 100% pure Patriotic Glory. :911:
Please ignore the fact that it leaves you if it thinks you're being too much of a hero, RL-3 was my favorite companion. :shobon:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

Hey now, there were plenty of lovely things about Fallout 3's story, but that Gutsy was 100% pure Patriotic Glory. :911:
Please ignore the fact that it leaves you if it thinks you're being too much of a hero, RL-3 was my favorite companion. :shobon:

Actually, the only companions who leave you are the two good ones (the paladin and the super mutant) if you dip into evil. The two neutral companions (Butch and the Gutsy) will stay with you through thick and thin, but if you tell them to leave, they can't be rehired if you're good or evil. Same with Jericho if you're too good. Clover, after initially buying her, will come back to you at any time.

I quite liked all the Fallout 3 companions. I liked that Jericho would smoke if you gave him a pack of cigarettes :)

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

SpaceMost posted:

I thought reviews were generally favorable except for on NMA where everyone poo poo on the game, probably because NMA posters were dyslexics who misread ": Tactics" as " 3".

The only thing I remember really well about Tactics is hauling rear end through an awful city dodging rockets in an APC, which owned.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Anyone that tried to help me in FO3 was dead within 5 minutes so I stopped making friends :(

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 31, 2017

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Pharmaskittle posted:

The only thing I remember really well about Tactics is hauling rear end through an awful city dodging rockets in an APC, which owned.

Everything except the last few missions in Tactics loving ruled (pile in a postapocalyptic APC and cruise around doing drivebys on mutants? Hell yes) but the real great thing about it was the multiplayer. Where you could buy the cow to fight alongside your squad.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
At least in broken steel you could bomb the gently caress out of the BoS and get a sweet pistol.

FEV in the purifier is the only rational choice. Let's see you survive that one, Mayor MacCready.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Everything except the last few missions in Tactics loving ruled (pile in a postapocalyptic APC and cruise around doing drivebys on mutants? Hell yes) but the real great thing about it was the multiplayer. Where you could buy the cow to fight alongside your squad.
By the time I got around to playing Fallout: Tactics, multiplayer wasn't really an option. :saddowns:

The other thing that really annoyed me is there's a pretty clear cut-off point in the game where energy weapons go from being "fun" to "absolutely loving necessary". But that's just nitpicking.

If you dig the Fallout universe and you enjoy combat-oriented games, I deffo suggest giving Fallout: Tactics a shot.

Edit:
Finally finished my playthrough of Dead Money. What a tedious piece of crap.
Listen: weird ghost aggros, excessive traps, limited ammo and healing, and labyrinthine maps are all cool. Except when you have all four. It was a genuinely un-fun experience that would have been almost acceptable if I didn't have to pay for it...

... So you can imagine how relieved I was when I finally got to the belltower and knew it was over. :smithicide:

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 16, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I've spent the last few days in Las Vegas for the first time and just drove from there to the Hoover Dam to the Grand Canyon. I gotta say I love accurate the look of the landscape is in New Vegas but I wish the sense of scale was a bit bigger. I guess getting around would be unfun as gently caress in the game if things were more spaced out but there really needed to be more wide open vistas in this game.

Bizarrely though the Hoover Dam in-game is way scaled up from real life. The top of the dam and the towers are at least twice as big in New Vegas than it is in real life. I guess they had to do it for gameplay reasons.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

So I've spent the last few days in Las Vegas for the first time and just drove from there to the Hoover Dam to the Grand Canyon. I gotta say I love accurate the look of the landscape is in New Vegas but I wish the sense of scale was a bit bigger. I guess getting around would be unfun as gently caress in the game if things were more spaced out but there really needed to be more wide open vistas in this game.

Bizarrely though the Hoover Dam in-game is way scaled up from real life. The top of the dam and the towers are at least twice as big in New Vegas than it is in real life. I guess they had to do it for gameplay reasons.

Did you stop off in Nipton to play the lottery :unsmigghh:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I was perturbed that I could not swim to hoover drat from either side. I did find that if I ran about 5 miles south of the drat there were a couple of expliosive crates... and nothing else.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Wolfsheim posted:

Did you stop off in Nipton to play the lottery :unsmigghh:

No but I got stung in the face by some Cazadors in the hills around the Strip. Or maybe I just got shitfaced on Cazadores, one or the other. :v:

e: driving through the desert is loving gorgeous but man is it weird out here for someone that grew up on the east coast

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I would assume all map scaling is for gameplay reasons, but man I do kind of wish there was another area/section before reaching New Vegas. It just felt like getting to New Vegas was so quick, and I felt like there could of been an opportunity to add more mystery to Mr House (like maybe him testing/messing with you or something) before actually meeting him. Granted you don't need to go to New Vegas right away, but it's hard not to when it's the centerpiece of the game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've done every single marked and unmarked quest, finished every DLC, explored every location, and all that is left is Hoover Dam. I don't want to do it... that means the game will be over! :saddowns:

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Node posted:

I've done every single marked and unmarked quest, finished every DLC, explored every location, and all that is left is Hoover Dam. I don't want to do it... that means the game will be over! :saddowns:

Now you know how I feel. I've done the same thing a few times over now. I'm basically doing gimmick runs like my current "Logan's Loophole" run. That is the starting trait that makes chems last twice as long and never become addicted but you can't ever level past 30. Before that I had a Hardcore mode Pure-Cannibal run.

I'm ultra-power gaming in my Logan's Run. Hit 10 INT before level 3 by rushing to New Vegas and getting implants, gambling with high luck for more money, educated at 4, Comprehension somewhere down the line to make skill books give +4 and mags +20 so I can with the help of a few +skill items, such as the Vault 3 ultilty suit( +5 Repair / + 5 Lockpick ) or Followers lab coat (+10 Science / +10 Medicine ) I can hit pretty much ever check in the game.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 16, 2011

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 31, 2017

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Berk Berkly posted:

Now you know how I feel. I've done the same thing a few times over now. I'm basically doing gimmick runs like my current "Logan's Loophole" run. That is the starting trait that makes chems last twice as long and never become addicted but you can't ever level past 30. Before that I had a Hardcore mode Pure-Cannibal run.

I'm ultra-power gaming in my Logan's Run. Hit 10 INT before level 3 by rushing to New Vegas and getting implants, gambling with high luck for more money, educated at 4, Comprehension somewhere down the line to make skill books give +4 and mags +20 so I can with the help of a few +skill items, such as the Vault 3 ultilty suit( +5 Repair / + 5 Lockpick ) or Followers lab coat (+10 Science / +10 Medicine ) I can hit pretty much ever check in the game.

Yeah, Logan's Run is a fun trait because you can still get plenty of skill points and none of the 30+ perks are really that cool anyway.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah, Logan's Run is a fun trait because you can still get plenty of skill points and none of the 30+ perks are really that cool anyway.

Also all the perks + skill points combined still aren't as good as being perpetually high on buffout + medx + battle brew + coyote tobacco + mentats + psycho + jet + ultrajet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
No Rushing Water?

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
It runs out too fast and you can't get enough jet to keep up a steady supply, even with Logan's Loophole + Chemist. That's also why I'm not rolling with slasher.

FUN FACT: With 100 survival, logan's loophole and chemist Ruby Nash's radscorpion casseroles heal ~500hp.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I just want to also point out how absolutely amazing the Comprehension perk is.

Nominally, every 3 skill books you get an extra skill book work of points, or 25 33!% more skill points per book. That is spiffy-riffic. But the real game-crusher is the fact that mags give loving +20 skill. I'm not sure people realize what a massive boost that is. Not until you realize you are opening 100 super hard locks sitting at 75 skill with a Mag + Vault 3 utility suit or going all Fist of the North Star with a Pugilism Mag + Psycho+Turbo.

Also, if you are going Logan's Run, get Gifted with it. +5 to all skill is a huge boon, but the XP penalty is actually a benefit to this kind of character.

Edit: Percentages are hard

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 16, 2011

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wouldn't mind Fallout 4 as long as they bring in somebody that could write plot and dialogue and use the mechanics of FNV.

So what you're saying is, Bethesda codes/QA's the game heavily while Obsidian handles plotlines and dialogue?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Berk Berkly posted:

Nominally, every 3 skill books you get an extra skill book work of points, or 25% more skill points per book.

33% :eng101:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Psyker posted:

So what you're saying is, Bethesda codes/QA's the game heavily while Obsidian handles plotlines and dialogue?

NV was Bethesda QA anyway soooo

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Berk Berkly posted:

Nominally, every 3 skill books you get an extra skill book work of points, or 25 33!% more skill points per book. That is spiffy-riffic. But the real game-crusher is the fact that mags give loving +20 skill. I'm not sure people realize what a massive boost that is. Not until you realize you are opening 100 super hard locks sitting at 75 skill with a Mag + Vault 3 utility suit or going all Fist of the North Star with a Pugilism Mag + Psycho+Turbo.

Also, if you are going Logan's Run, get Gifted with it. +5 to all skill is a huge boon, but the XP penalty is actually a benefit to this kind of character.

Edit: Percentages are hard

For some reason skill mags are also effected by chemist + logans loophole + high times. So an ordinary magazine lasts for ~5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

gently caress Mr Gutsy; Fawkes is the true hero of the Capital Wasteland.

quote:

Pretty much. I was a part of NMA from F1, and was pretty active, but then OH NOES! I LIKED FO:TACTICS!!! and that made me some kind of horrible horrible monster. I liked the whole multiplayer thing on it, the fact I could stand up, crouch, or low crawl, the entries about how they totally hosed up NORAD by making it more of a political nuclear war country club than anything useful by removing essential systems to add poo poo like a zoo and golf course , the whole ruins sections, and of course, the APC levels.

Seeing that NMA is pretty much dead these days always warms my heart. It's sweet, sweet revenge for their 10+ years of assholery. Its even better when you see that the "new school" Fallout fans care a lot about "non-canon" things like writing Enclave vs Brotherhood of Steel and NCR fanfics and using nude mods while graphically loving every member of The Kings with their buck-naked female character. Those people are pretty much pissing right on NMA with that stuff, and I love them so much for it.