Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

...! posted:

gently caress this gaping dragon. I've been trying to kill the thing for two days with no progress. I may end up quitting the game over this fucker. Even with the two summoned NPCs and one other summoned guy, everyone involved gets raped every single time. It's becoming controller-throwing frustrating. :mad:
Seriously, the gaping dragon is really, really easy once you take away the wizard/mage who shoots you from above. You have to circle him at a distance when he has his mouth up/on his back. Then, he'll smash it into the ground and "charge" you, and then come to a stop. This is the moment you go and hack him up a little, and go back once he starts rising again. And repeat until he's dead.

I mean, seriously, he is very easy.

Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
More fist based weapon posts.

You can ignore stacking dexterity if you just make the claws elemental, as they'll stop scaling with both strength and dex. Of course, that may take awhile, so you might have to do some basic upgrades to get good damage out of them in the interim anyway.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

...! posted:

gently caress this gaping dragon. I've been trying to kill the thing for two days with no progress. I may end up quitting the game over this fucker. Even with the two summoned NPCs and one other summoned guy, everyone involved gets raped every single time. It's becoming controller-throwing frustrating. :mad:

It has yet to even begin to get frustrating.

Any surefire ways to co-op with someone. I've tried: reloading the sign, reloading the character, reloading the game, deleting all my messages and doing the above. Still, can't see each other's signs. I'm assuming we are on different servers or something. Oh and this is all right after he had just summoned me, so how the holy gently caress did it decide to not let us back together. :sigh:

I've run into the infinite health a-hole too, he was killing the armored boar in gold hemmed :gay:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

Seriously, the gaping dragon is really, really easy once you take away the wizard/mage who shoots you from above.

There's a what now? I did not encounter anything like that.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

...! posted:

You can easily take the gaping dragon with no damage no matter what your equipment when you know her pattern. Keep your distance from her until she chomps onto the ground. Optionally when you're feeling confident you can run in and get one or two hits on her while she's still got her mouth on the ground, but the important part is that afterwards she will always, 100% of the time do a dash attack which will hit you and likely kill you if you're near her, so just sprint away and stay to the side; after that she's stunned for a few seconds which is your chance to attack. So the pattern is to wait for her to bite the ground, after which she dashes, after which she's stunned for a few seconds and you can attack her risk-free.

Also I let myself be summoned twice for this fight today and both times watched my host just keep attacking the dragon no matter what until the host died. I guess people who know how to not suicide on this fight wouldn't need help anyway.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 16, 2011

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

If I save Solaire, do I not get his shield? I really want to keep the guy alive, but I also really want his gear. And having a thematically appropriate shield for my pyromancer takes priority.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
As far as I know no, he needs to die for you to get his stuff. If you do keep him alive though, he's an amazing asset against the last boss.

vvvvv Honestly I'd say the claws are way better than any fist weapon in the previous game. Decent reach for it's weapon type. That said they do only slightly more damage than a dagger while being slightly slower and not getting the crit bonus sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yeah.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 16, 2011

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Regarding fist weapons

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

My first advice is not to do it at all

If the move set is as terrible as it was in Demon's I'll second this. I tried once and just couldn't submit my self to that kind of pain.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So my first experience with the Four Kings was rather enlightening:

*spear to the face*
*purple flame thrower*
*explosion*

YOU DIED

This was my shortest boss attempt to date. It enlightened me in that I'll need a different tactic. Hints?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Get close to them. Their blades do less damage the closer you are. Now watch out for two attacks. Their grab and their explosion move. Learn the distance to run away just enough, and then run back in. Either that or take the grab/block the explosion if you think you can withstand it.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Toiwat posted:

This was my shortest boss attempt to date.

My shortest was with Gravelord Nito, as soon as I had control, I took maybe 1 step and my character was impaled. A solid ~2 second attempt.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Toiwat posted:

So my first experience with the Four Kings was rather enlightening:

*spear to the face*
*purple flame thrower*
*explosion*

YOU DIED

This was my shortest boss attempt to date. It enlightened me in that I'll need a different tactic. Hints?

Put on your heaviest armor (Havel's is a good choice), run at them, cast iron flesh, two hand your weapon, and spam RB. Recast iron flesh as necessary and hope they don't grab you too much. It's a pretty dumb fight.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Finished it. Fantastic game.

Riposted the poo poo out of the last boss, impaling him in the nuts for the win :smug:

Never did find the entrance to the giant painting in Anor Londo, something to discover on my next playthrough.

So many areas were stunning. I didn't seem to run into any of the 'I HATE THIS' in the last areas. In fact I wished both Crystal Caves and Izalith were longer. CC longer with the same design, not more invisible platform walking. And more ruined city crawling in Izalith.

Tomb of Giants was just about right, because jesus that place was brutal. Loved how you wound up overlooking Izalith and Ash Lake at various points, all while burrowing ever deeper into the bedrock before finding Nito.

Amazing, sprawling, expansive game. I'm going to have a lot of fun with gimmick playthroughs. I had a ton of fun in DeS doing just that, and this game has a lot more areas and encounters to play with.

One thing I don't get at all - how in six fucks are you supposed to figure out what the various Covenants do? I don't mind some general fuzziness (I didn't check a wiki for my first playthrough and did just fine), but after doing a little reading, the Covenants have a lot of effects and quirks that are just not explained even a little. Ignoring the difficulty of discovering them, which is a quest in and of itself.

Going to try to white phantom a ton this game so I can run around human as much as possible, so as to be invaded whenever possible. I'll see how many level 10 players with level 20 pyro gloves, fog rings, slow spells, and other idiocy I can stand before I abandon that idea.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
What's the best way to go about killing the boss(es) in Anor Londo?

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

charismaslover posted:

Reposting because this thread moves fast.

Does anyone remember the Demon's Souls collectible spreadsheet that a goon made? I modified it and made an equivilent for Dark Souls for personal use but I've uploaded it and here's the link if anyone wants to use it.

Dark Souls Spreadsheet

I'd like to check it out, but I think the file hosting is a bit busted. Every time I try to download it says that the "file you're trying to access is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." You might want to find a different host.

Edit: Speak of the devil, it stopped being busted after I made this post. Alternate file hosting sites would still be a pretty big plus, though.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Tokubetsu posted:

What's the best way to go about killing the boss(es) in Anor Londo?

Crystal ring shield and the most powerful weapon you can one-hand. Use LT (or whatever the PS3 equvilant is. L2 I think), keep your distance, and mwahahaha your way through the fight.

That said, if you wanna take out fatboy first for skinny's gear, bring a phantom (Solaire will do) to distract skinny, otherwise he'll just leap attack as you're throwing and wreck your poo poo. Fatboy is slower with his charge, so if he's second you can still throw and have enough time to get out of the way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Nito's domain lacks hospitality. Why is he trying so hard to keep me out? All I want to do is kill him and take his soul.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Because things with flesh harsh his buzz. He only uses his Flame to light his weed man leave him alone!

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Is there a guide to creating weapons anywhere? The wiki doesn't seem to be too helpful.

I can make a +5 regular weapon and a Divine Weapon, but I've got the titanite that says it can create a +10 weapon, etc but never get the option to use them on anything.

E: also, is there a shortcut to the swamp in Blighttown?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

...! posted:

I assume you've already taken out the faster bore the fight started? The dragon is easy if you keep your patience and only go in to attack after he's done his blind charge forward, gets a few hits, then retreat before he does his tail swipe or ground pound. It takes a while but you shouldn't get hit often, especially if you have a summoned player with you. I enjoy the fight so through summons I've killed him 8 times and only died once when the guy forgot to take out the caster and didn't heal me.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

I had two really weird deaths by the gaping demon where it walking past me had my character get caught inbetween its leg and the uneven floor and get instantly dying. I thought it was a weird bug that happened once and I could laugh it off, but it happened twice in a row.

A similar thing happened in Blighttown where one of the ragdolls got caught on a ladder and it ended up dragging me a thousand feet below.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Houdini posted:

Is there a guide to creating weapons anywhere? The wiki doesn't seem to be too helpful.

I can make a +5 regular weapon and a Divine Weapon, but I've got the titanite that says it can create a +10 weapon, etc but never get the option to use them on anything.

E: also, is there a shortcut to the swamp in Blighttown?

You need to give the blacksmith a better ember before he can ascend your weapon from +5 to +6 (it's considered a completely different tier of upgrades despite being in the same line). You should find it in the chest near where you found the first butcher on your way to the Depths.

There IS a shortcut to the swamp in Blighttown through the Valley of Drakes. From the elevator, which down the path nearby the lake with the Hydra in it in the Darkmoon Gardens, go left past the Undead Dragon and you should eventually hit a large cave. Through there, you can find a waterwheel/elevator that can take you down to the Swamps. Not really a shortcut, but it's probably the only other alternate path to the swamp.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wait, so there are no divine weapons beyond +5? The only way from there is to occult weapons?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Jetpack Postman posted:

I'd like to check it out, but I think the file hosting is a bit busted. Every time I try to download it says that the "file you're trying to access is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." You might want to find a different host.

Edit: Speak of the devil, it stopped being busted after I made this post. Alternate file hosting sites would still be a pretty big plus, though.

I've now added Rapidshare and Mediafire links to the previous post.

charismaslover fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 16, 2011

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Jetpack Postman posted:

You need to give the blacksmith a better ember before he can ascend your weapon from +5 to +6 (it's considered a completely different tier of upgrades despite being in the same line). You should find it in the chest near where you found the first butcher on your way to the Depths.

There IS a shortcut to the swamp in Blighttown through the Valley of Drakes. From the elevator you can take down nearby the lake with the Hydra in it in the Darkmoon Gardens, go left past the Undead Dragon and you should eventually hit a large cave. Through there, you can find a waterwheel/elevator that can take you down to the Swamps. Not really a shortcut, but it's probably the only other alternate path to the swamp.

That's weird, because I've done that and there isn't an option to go any higher than plus 5. :suicide:

Thanks for the shortcut tip. Even if it isn't a proper shortcut, it isn't running through Blighttown again. :v:

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, so there are no divine weapons beyond +5? The only way from there is to occult weapons?

Nope, you need to find a better ember. It's in the Tomb of the Giants.

Houdini posted:

That's weird, because I've done that and there isn't an option to go any higher than plus 5. :suicide:

Thanks for the shortcut tip. Even if it isn't a proper shortcut, it isn't running through Blighttown again. :v:

There should be an option to ascend your weapon to +6 under the same option to ascend a +5 weapon to a Divine weapon. If it isn't there then I dunno what's wrong.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I think I just found the weapon to replace my halberd/mirdan hammer fetish from Demon's: the scythe. It is not as fast as the previous polearms were, but it is pretty close and the reach is about as good. I've previously tried out the lucerne and the new halberd. While the lucerne's animation looks awesome, it is way too slow. The halberd is probably about as good as the scythe, but it feels like the recovery is too slow, and it is very lacking in the area deparment - which the second attack in the scythe's chain solves.

Just +9'd it and helped some guy on the Gargoyles. That was fun!

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 16, 2011

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, Blighttown is a horrible maze. I can ride the first waterwheel thing up out of there, but where the hell do I go from there to ascend out of there?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

...! posted:

He has a very deliberate attack pattern. Just back up and watch it. Avoid the flying land on your head thing and then only attack after he's BOTH sinked his teeth into the ground AND moved forward with his teeth in the ground. You get a 20+ seconds window to wail on him. Should take you about 5 minutes.

I'm having trouble knowing when to say "right, I guess I'm not ready for this section of this area yet", most significantly in Anor Londo. O&S are just impossible, even though I can clear out most of the other guys with relative ease. I got pissed with the Darkmoon Covenant and went ahead and mashed up Gwnydolin out of anger. This made the firekeeper pissed and I had to kill her, too.

I'm also pissed that I keep failing on Lautrec and it's only because of his two dickhead cronies. I've been playing this too much.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Speedball posted:

Man, Blighttown is a horrible maze. I can ride the first waterwheel thing up out of there, but where the hell do I go from there to ascend out of there?

Look around for ladders, there's actually two up from the platform you first go to and one only leads to that snipers nest IIRC

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Gazmachine posted:

He has a very deliberate attack pattern. Just back up and watch it. Avoid the flying land on your head thing and then only attack after he's BOTH sinked his teeth into the ground AND moved forward with his teeth in the ground. You get a 20+ seconds window to wail on him. Should take you about 5 minutes.

I'm having trouble knowing when to say "right, I guess I'm not ready for this section of this area yet", most significantly in Anor Londo. O&S are just impossible, even though I can clear out most of the other guys with relative ease. I got pissed with the Darkmoon Covenant and went ahead and mashed up Gwnydolin out of anger. This made the firekeeper pissed and I had to kill her, too.

I'm also pissed that I keep failing on Lautrec and it's only because of his two dickhead cronies. I've been playing this too much.

With Lautrec lead him up the stairs, it forces him and his cronies into single file then you can just stab whoever is at the front with your spear till they die and repeat.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Noxville posted:

Look around for ladders, there's actually two up from the platform you first go to and one only leads to that snipers nest IIRC

Importantly, all the ladders are marked with torches. This makes getting around a lot easier.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So, after a goon pointed out that I missed the entrance to the depths completely and took the long way around to blighttown, I backtracked and encountered the Capri Demon.

I think I outlvled the encounter since I killed both of his dogs in one hit.

edit: Also I got aforementioned 10k souls I dropped back. I still hate the blue drakes and their stupid faces and stupid lightning attacks and their stupidness to the point where they fly off the cliff and die.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I don't know if I'm just awful at this game, but I'm having a hell of a time with the Capra demon. Doesn't help that my estoc almost always passes harmlessly over his dogs.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Tiggy Sawdust posted:

I don't know if I'm just awful at this game, but I'm having a hell of a time with the Capra demon. Doesn't help that my estoc almost always passes harmlessly over his dogs.

Basically what I did was book it up the steps and kill the dogs with a weapon that swings from the side, then it just turns into poking the Capri Demon inbetween his swings.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I'm imagining the design meeting for the Valley of Drakes went something like this:

Evil Bastard: "Ok guys, we've got this enemy type. Hits like a truck, can take a beating, and can fly around so the player loses lock-on and can't block properly. But I don't think we've quite nailed the sheer level of evil we need. So, locations people."

Evil Fucker: "Well, I've got this place full of narrow ledges that make it impossible so anyone dodging will either hit a wall or plummet to their doom. I propose we fill those narrow ledges with this new enemy and really gently caress people over."

Evil Bastard: "Good job everyone. Now let's go celebrate by throwing flaming puppies at orphans."

gently caress this place and gently caress the designers!

(I wouldn't be so angry if I wasn't killed because one of them turned around and the wing just swept me off the side :argh:)

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I just realised I forgot to go through the Valley Of The Drakes in my playthrough. I don't think I missed any bosses though. Is there anything interesting there? I think I stumbled upon 3 or 4 different entrances to it too.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Leyburn posted:

I just realised I forgot to go through the Valley Of The Drakes in my playthrough. I don't think I missed any bosses though. Is there anything interesting there? I think I stumbled upon 3 or 4 different entrances to it too.
There's an undead dragon guarding an okay shield there, but not much else. It's just a strange shortcut to three different places, but you never want to use it because of the wyverns there.
E:

gibbed posted:

An armor set, sword, shield, ring.

Brigand set, Astora's Straight Sword, Dragon Chest Shield, Red Tearstone Ring
oh wow I forgot about a lot of things.

smuh fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 16, 2011

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Finally beat Capra with the help of some Japanese dude who 1-shot him and the dogs!

Other news; my estus flasks now heal 100% of my max health! Too bad it's because im cursed and lost somewhere in a loving pitch black sewer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

smuh posted:

There's an undead dragon guarding an okay shield there, but not much else. It's just a strange shortcut to three different places, but you never want to use it because of the wyverns there.
An armor set, sword, shield, ring.

Brigand set, Astora's Straight Sword, Dragon Chest Shield, Red Tearstone Ring

• Locked thread