Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it makes you feel any better, a 5SC SS kit would set me back $1,420 in the first place, so maybe it's not so bad.

Also, do you really need to buy all the shims? Can't you check it with a feeler gauge or mic as required and buy only what you need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Brought a some new parts for my Tamiya 415, going to be a strip down and rebuilding going on next weekend. New aluminium front and rear uprights (416/TB-03 variety, has a larger bearing size) and new bearings for the diff housings.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Mr. Ali posted:

I have only owned basic radio shack type electric RC cars when I was a kid and for the past 5-6 years I have wanted a Nitro truck. Just recently have been looking at gas cars so I am eying the 1/5 HPI Baja 5SC SS kit. It looks like a lot of fun to build and the whole thing just looks like a giant beast.

Here is what I want to order:

HPI Baja 5SC SS Kit 1/5 Gas Truck
Futaba 3PMX 2.4Ghz MX SS Radio/Receiver Kit
Team FastEddy Hinge Pin Shims - Thick 1mm
Team FastEddy Hinge Pin Shims - Medium .5mm
Team FastEddy Hinge Pin Shims - Thin .2mm
Team FastEddy HD Pipe Clamp for HPI SS Pipe
TeamFastEddy Complete Professional Series Bearing Upgrade Kit for HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC
Team FastEddy Pro Series Shim Kit
Team FastEddy High Heat Thread Locker 2ml RED (Top Strength)
Team FastEddy Steering Post Shim Kit for HPI Baja 5B/5T
Hitec HS-5645MG Digital Throttle Servo w/ Metal Gears
DDM "Black Magic" 6v Ni-MH 5000mAh Hump Receiver Battery Pack for HPI Baja 5B/5T DDM
Team FastEddy Axle/Transmission Grease
Oynx 210 Battery Charger

All that plus a few other odds and ends will reach a bit over $1500 at Daves Discount Motors plus a few other shops.

Do I really need those shims? Almost all the HPI forums swear by them. At $7 a bag its quite the overpriced item. Same with the pro bearings at $70, that's steep but I have been brainwashed into thinking its absolutely necessary. Plus it is so much easier to install the shims and bearings now while its being built instead of going back and doing it later.

Money could be used elsewere but I can justify it... somewhat. It just seems a bit excessive to spend so much on a glorified toy. That being said, I have never wanted anything more. Any tips or advice for this complete RC noob?

I don't see an engine listed... which engine are you using?

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

wav3form posted:

I don't see an engine listed... which engine are you using?

I am just using the standard Fuelie 26S that comes with the kit to keep costs down.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
5SC SS kit comes with an engine, it's the limited version that doesn't.

That list looks good, I don't know about the shims and bearings to be honest. If you're a total stickler for ultimate precision and all that anal detail, then sure go for those types of parts, but if you're just going to be bashing around I wouldn't worry about them. I can't imagine the bearing set will be cheap. If/when the standard bearings fail, seize up or rust, that's when I'd go for the upgrade bearigns as you have it taken apart for maintenance - but hey it's your toy :) You can also get red threadlock from anywhere, from any RC company it'll probably be overpriced (like air filter oil or 2-cycle oil). You also don't have the tuned pipe listed, but you list some clamp thing for it - are you going with the HPI pipe (in which case you might need the option clamp) or with another pipe?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

TremorX posted:

Awesome work, needknees!

We had a big labor day weekend race in Savannah.. I didn't place, but I had a great time. I really had a competitive truck in the XXX-SCT, but the Novak Ballistic I bought the day before had a bad sensor and poo poo my day up. I played around with my D8, but didn't race in the main. The suspension was way too stiff, making it really hard to drive. It would bounce off of jumps and I just couldn't get it to plant well enough to get a rhythm going. I'll try again next race.

Some pics:

Thanks! :haw:

Realistically I had an unfair advantage due to logging an insane number of laps at the indoor track the race ended up at due to poo poo weather. I likely wouldn't had fared as well at the outdoor track, but who's keeping track of this poo poo anyway.

Those are some great pics of your races! Looks like the only pic that got snapped of my crap in action was of the car I did terrible with (first place b main mod 2wd woohoo :saddowns: ), my 22.

We have one more big 1/8th only race coming up locally, and I may try to make it out to regionals at Omaha's HobbyPlex new super kickass facility. Outdoor season is winding down but with Omaha's new track and our local indoor track I'm really looking forward to winter!

I sold some stuff off and have been focusing on 2wd buggy and 1/8th e lately. There's talk of trying to revitalize the 4wd 1/10th class and I've been eying one of those for awhile... might give me enough of an excuse to put one together.

Anyone have opinions or experience with 4wd 1/10th buggies? Kyosho is releasing a new kit pretty soon but it's five hundred twenty dollars for a goddamn 1/10th kit, no thanks :gonk:. Been looking at the B44.1 and DEX410 mostly. The idea of an exposed carbon chassis offroad kinda scares me a little, frankly. I know it'd probably be fine but that's a lot of abuse it has to put up with.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

krushgroove posted:

You also don't have the tuned pipe listed, but you list some clamp thing for it - are you going with the HPI pipe (in which case you might need the option clamp) or with another pipe?

I will be using the stock pipe from the kit. I actually decided to drop the clamp and the high heat thread lock and use the stock clamp and thread lock that it comes with. The stock clamp looks like it will work fine for someone like me, no need to waste money on something like that.

I decided to not get these items:
Team FastEddy High Heat Thread Locker 2ml RED (Top Strength)
Team FastEddy HD Pipe Clamp for HPI SS Pipe
Team FastEddy Hinge Pin Shims - Thick 1mm
TeamFastEddy Complete Professional Series Bearing Upgrade Kit for HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC

That alone shaves almost $100 from the total. Thanks goons!

I might also drop that Axle/Transmission Grease and see if I can find an automotive replacement/equivalent. Something tells me its not worth $17 for 2oz.

Next step is to actually buy all this stuff.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Have fun with it :) I got to drive a stock 5SC today at a TV shoot and man was that fun. Different surfaces, too: grass, tree bark, gravel, pavement. Would have been a very cool short course track!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Went to a scale crawler meeting over the weekend, lots of fun! Laidback bunch of fellows.

Piccies: https://picasaweb.google.com/frank.mckinney/UKScalerNatsOct2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

This was in the Peak District area of England. Amazingly, there was no rain, just lots of biting bugs.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

krushgroove posted:

Went to a scale crawler meeting over the weekend, lots of fun! Laidback bunch of fellows.

Piccies: https://picasaweb.google.com/frank.mckinney/UKScalerNatsOct2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

This was in the Peak District area of England. Amazingly, there was no rain, just lots of biting bugs.

I had a good time looking through those Scaler pics. Seeing the effort people put into them makes my full light kit seem half-assed and makes me want to deck my Honcho out better.

I stumbled across this on Neobuggy and had to share it - I didn't watch the entire thing, just scrolled through some of the middle bits. It was mind bending to watch though. I wonder what he could create with real estate of the VW Baja bug body
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpQLbMAq29Q

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah my trucks were the blue & white Defender (stock SCX chassis) and the bright green Wraith (Axial diff, knuckle/hub and shock upgrades) but I'm going to work on making my Defender more and more scale. There's an Italian guy that makes Lexan Nissan, Jeep and Suzuki bodies, plus floor pans for the SCX (hopefully will be getting one soon) and I'm going to learn how to wire up LEDs for scalers, I might start selling them on eBay for extra money...to buy scale crawler accessories :P

Once the Defender is closer to 'finished' (whatever that is) I'll work on making the Wraith more of a King of Hammers/Ultra 4 truck. Want to find some more driver figures too :)

Also got a Blitz recently, that is fun. Definitely needs some front mud/grass deflectors, the tub chassis just collects crap like there's no tomorrow. Going to try out an aluminum chassis conversion from radshaperc.com, should be interesting.

I love watching work in progress videos, especially for painting, etc. - very cool stuff. Not what I would have had the guy do exactly, but very nice finished piece.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I spotted that a shop here has a Yokomo Nano-Crawler, reckon I should pick one up? Looks like fun.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rebuilt my Tamiya 415MSX over the weekend, threw in new bearings in the uprights and diff housings. Gave the motor a clean down and got a new Lipo for it. See how it goes tonight when I go and have a race.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Does anyone here have any 1:64 scale RCs? Im buying up a few online since parts are scarce and I like collecting them. mostly after Tomy Bit Char G/Micro Sizers but if theres clones that share parts I am interested.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Laserface posted:

Does anyone here have any 1:64 scale RCs? Im buying up a few online since parts are scarce and I like collecting them. mostly after Tomy Bit Char G/Micro Sizers but if theres clones that share parts I am interested.

Aren't these the same (or close to) the old Radio Shack Zip Zaps? I picked up a few cars in Radio Shack about 8 years ago, they had the full set of Initial D cars and a few American muscle cars. I have the panda Hachi Roku on my desk under my computer monitor right now. The chassis is marked Radio Shack 60-7032 if that helps find anything on eBay.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im 99% certain that zip zaps were a rebranded form of the Tomy models. microsizers were a bit longer and had a more scale look rather than the cartoony "bunched up" styling of Bits, but used the same electronics, motor and gear sets.

Ive found 3-4 websites that still list some of the rarer items in stock and have been contacting them to buy out their remaining stock. for whatever reason I love these little things and there is just some kits/body shells I absolutely have to own.

What im really after is the Super bit Char G kits for Skyline, Ferrari and Lamboghini, but I think im SOL when it comes to them.

moving in to a house with polished floorboards was both a great idea (looks awesome) and a bad idea (spending all my money on micro RCs)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah yes I remember now there were a couple of competing micro RC car lines. I'm glad I got the ones I did, plus the options and body sets. But I did only get one car, so I can't run it with anyone else, so it's basically a shelf queen, if that's possible.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Ah yes I remember now there were a couple of competing micro RC car lines. I'm glad I got the ones I did, plus the options and body sets. But I did only get one car, so I can't run it with anyone else, so it's basically a shelf queen, if that's possible.

yeah. I got a really nice set when the craze was in full swing (automodelista set) which came with FD RX-7, R32 GTR, R34 GTR and a Supra, all with racing stripes, and the electronics was series II which has speed boost/NOS button.

I also have Nissan Gloria, Celica and another plain red R32 GTR which i bought as a pull-back. Hopefully also picking up a Skyline 2000GT, blue R34, Lancer evo VII, AE86 Levin & Trueno and a NSX.

plus a bunch of pull backs to convert my gearsets to use the wider rims and tires.

Theres also the elusive photo-etch 3pc wheels made by Scala43 for the German market models, but I didnt feel like paying 60 Euro for a set of miniature BBS wheels.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Laserface posted:

Theres also the elusive photo-etch 3pc wheels made by Scala43 for the German market models, but I didnt feel like paying 60 Euro for a set of miniature BBS wheels.

How dare you call yourself a scale RC modeler. :colbert:

That's a great collection though! I have most of the Initial D set, plus a couple of muscle cars (Camaro and Barracuda, I think). I'm amazed that someone somewhere made replica mesh wheels!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Oh yeah, I was too. they have a neat little (though somewhat broken) "build your ride" type flash app that lets you choose your body and then see what their variety of wheels look like. all of them are DEEP DISH too so they really finish off the JDM look.

http://www.tomica.de/RETAILSHOP/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=87&osCsid=b394b9348d03ada6a4fdca9bf288b5c0

for 60 euro though they can kiss my rear end. the pull back Bit rims and tires do the same thing, and are pretty cool looking anyway.

EDIT: oh no I just saw what the NSX looks like with Alpine 4 holes :negative:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Hmmpf. Maybe I should sell off what I have. I got an offer here once, but I never followed up on it. I have six or eight cars, transmitters, and lots of parts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

I spotted that a shop here has a Yokomo Nano-Crawler, reckon I should pick one up? Looks like fun.
I did buy one in the end, isn't it cute?

It actually about fits in with my 1:43 diescasts:

Driving it around the desk is quite fun, though I do notice that there's a fair bit of slop in all the joints etc, and a tiny bit of control lag (such as when you release the throttle). And the suspension is too stiff, really - but that's hardly the point, it's a fun little toy that didn't cost much.

Note that I have the Mk1 version, there is a Mk2, which I believe has some slight upgrades, but the shop only had this one in stock.

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

I've been bashing around with the xl-5 'pede and having a blast.

Replacements from damage:
Rear Hex nuts, rear wheels, camber block (I think thats what it's called) steering block, random screws, traxxas body( time for another one again).

Upgrades so far:
vxl brushless motor & velineon esc, big bore shocks, 2.4 ghz traxxas transmitter.

I am looking to go bigger and better. So far I like the look of traxxas' e-revo, brushless. What do you guys think?

Must be 4wd, more stable than the 'pede but still good for light /medium bashing, brushless.

Any advice would be great!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Laser cutters make everything better.

Even a lowly T-28. This is my repaired airframe. Can you tell I've abused it a bit?

I used cardboard here.

And here, to reinforce the control horns. The plane went from flying like a whale, to flying like it's got the airbrakes on. I can live with the latter.

I love how the plane comes apart.

I remember when these servos were something like $70 each. now I get three with a $99 airplane.

Edit: This probally should have gone in the rc plane thread shouldn't it?

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 26, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

skippo posted:

I've been bashing around with the xl-5 'pede and having a blast.

Replacements from damage:
Rear Hex nuts, rear wheels, camber block (I think thats what it's called) steering block, random screws, traxxas body( time for another one again).

Upgrades so far:
vxl brushless motor & velineon esc, big bore shocks, 2.4 ghz traxxas transmitter.

I am looking to go bigger and better. So far I like the look of traxxas' e-revo, brushless. What do you guys think?

Must be 4wd, more stable than the 'pede but still good for light /medium bashing, brushless.

Any advice would be great!

Either a 4x4 Slash, which is pretty drat unkillable, but a bit lower. Still a great basher, and opens up lots of racing opportunities, as they handle great.

Or, a Revo, which is big, unstoppable, and crazy, and not that great handling. Watch youtube vids of both, you'll pretty much be able to decide what you want based on how they both handle.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm sorry this is not RC car related, but I figure some of you guys might know something about model trains. There aren't any threads in the hobby subforum that I could see.

I have a cheap HO set made by Tyco from the 80s, I need some "rail joiners" for it but I'm not sure what type to buy. They mostly seem to be code 100/83. Is that what I need?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

A friend of mine went to the track with me this weekend, and he offered to shoot some video to see how my new iPhone 4S does. I'm happy with it! Anyway, the footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UmOad54sc4

I've REALLY got this XXX-SCT dialed in... my setup is a bit oddball but it's working incredibly well for me.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
How bad is it I don't properly store my LiPo battery? Like I never charge it to 60% and let it sit. It's always near like 80% or so.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

VibrioCholera posted:

How bad is it I don't properly store my LiPo battery? Like I never charge it to 60% and let it sit. It's always near like 80% or so.

Are you a hardcore racer? If not, it doesn't really matter I think. Last week I ran a cheap LiPo pack last week that hadn't been charged or run for about 2 years, and it charged up just fine. It's not even a hardcase pack, it was fine for playing around.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm sorry this is not RC car related, but I figure some of you guys might know something about model trains. There aren't any threads in the hobby subforum that I could see.

I have a cheap HO set made by Tyco from the 80s, I need some "rail joiners" for it but I'm not sure what type to buy. They mostly seem to be code 100/83. Is that what I need?

That'll be code 100 rail. Pretty much any of the little metal crimped joiners will work. If they're loose you can gently squeeze them with some pliers. Just about every place that sells any kind of trains have packs of Atlas rail joiners, they'll probably be in strips that you cut apart with some side cutters.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

VibrioCholera posted:

You really aren't likely to hurt anything unless you fully discharge it and let it sit for an extended period of time. If you're semi-regularly using your battery, being stored at near full capacity or 80% like you mentioned isn't going to bother it much if at all. However, if you don't plan to use it for quite awhile (multiple weeks + ) it's a good idea to keep it at storage voltage of 3.8V per cell.

edit

Our local indoor track is gearing up for the winter season! :woop:. First race is tomorrow. The new layout is drat fun and should be a blast to race on. I did a little practice session over the weekend on it with my 1/10th buggies... I have to say I'm sold on 4wd 1/10th. Holy poo poo does it ever scoot around the track!

needknees fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 1, 2011

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
I hope this is the right thread for this, as it's not technically a car, but I couldn't find any search words that would come up with anything. There's a guy at work that does the nice cars like you guys do here, and looking at stuff he brings around got me looking at all the crazy videos of the ridiculous $10k+ jets and other silly things that I'd love to do if I had a trust fund. Since I don't, though, I was looking at getting an r/c tank, and from looking around a few other forums and videos it seems like there's quite a few for a reasonable price.

Specifically I've been looking at some of these 1/16 scale WW2 era tanks (Panzer VI Tiger & M26 Pershing) that usually have a main cannon airsoft gun (or an IR thingy to play tank laser tag I guess?). From some other postings I'd read, if you get the models that feature 'smoke & sound,' those are usually the 'premium' of the types, as they come with metal tracks and other superior parts compared to a lesser version.

Am I on the right track here, or completely off base?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Check eBay or Google for 'Heng Long RC Tank' and you'll find a ton. The Heng Long tanks have full metal upgrades if you want to get really expensive, plus more realistic suspension, photo-etched parts, figures and more. I imagine the Tamiya tanks have the same but they're more espensive.

I have a couple of the Heng Long tanks, bought them super cheap together but the one with the full metal tracks is missing a drive wheel (apparently impossible to find) and I haven't tried running the other yet. They just have the 'A, B, C' frequency selection but it shouldn't be extremely hard to set up a cheap FlySky 6-channel 2.4GHz radio setup.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Is more airplane stuff OK? This one kind of goes fast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozvcqAy0_64

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

FINALLY.

The Losi TEN-SCTE is incredible.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

TremorX posted:

FINALLY.

The Losi TEN-SCTE is incredible.

Grats! There's a few people running SCTE's around my area but that class died off in a hurry :(. Pisses me off, I still love driving my sc10 4x4.

Now that we're into the winter indoor season I've been concentrating on my 1/10th buggies. I finally put the X-Factory B4 conversion together, that little bastard is pretty neat! I am running that in stock 2wd, and on our track have been able to pull off consistent times VERY close to mod times (and in most cases better, because you can't really use all the power of a mod motor on our track). Still need to do some tweaking to it, it's lacking a bit in steering.

I also have finally found a good setup for my 22. That car has some issues but I'm one of only TWO people running them in our area. For some reason I want to be the oddball running cars other than AE stuff!

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
hi,

Id like to try RC on-road drifting and from the comments here looks like a Tamiya TA-05 is suggested. Anyone suggest a kit that I can start building with and where I can find it for a good price online?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

HoWSeR posted:

hi,

Id like to try RC on-road drifting and from the comments here looks like a Tamiya TA-05 is suggested. Anyone suggest a kit that I can start building with and where I can find it for a good price online?

For price and performance with RC drifting, I would look at the HPI products. However, I love Tamiya products but I would say get a TT-01 because it's much simpler compared to the TA-05.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Soooooo Traxxas has that new 100mph onroad car now. Casual $1k price tag.

I wonder at what point do RC cars just become outright too fast to actually control? I mean you hit a pebble at 100mph and youre pretty much boned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

control at high speed is really a question of suspention setup and a touch of aerodynamics.

Any speed is controllable. So long as you can SEE it. And you can maintain a push situation. As soon as you are in the realm of oversteer, you're screwed.