Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

OurLivesOnline posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys need to see this.

Wow.

I definitely would love to see space in minecraft at some point. Like, you actually have to build a working rocket ship launcher or use various other means to get there. Hell, put enough technology stuff in the game and eventually minecraft might resemble something between a roguelike and a game of Side Meier Civilization - adventure, research, tech up, and then explore the stars.

It's just plain great seeing scifi stuff realized so well in the game though. I hope this stuff finds its way somehow into the official game. I'd love to make space colonies with my buds, wearing our space suits and hopping around on asteroids etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svecke
Nov 8, 2008
Hopefully someone is - right now - working on an asteroid field dimension mod. :D Like the nether but in -spaaace-!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well I always thought that the world should be stacked like:

SPAAAACE
SKY ISLANDS
NORMAL WORLD
CAVEWORLD
NETHER

And instead of being other dimensions you're just going up or down.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I would love a mod that made minecraft into a first-person dwarf fortress :allears:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

OurLivesOnline posted:

I'm not sure I feel confident enough to use an installer client from the MC forums. But holy hell, it looks good.

But I know I'd love a Yogscast playthrough. For once, Lewis' skin would be appropriate for the map:allears:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
There's also Blockade Runner, which I'm tempted to get just so I can try to make a blocky replica of the Space Core.

Also enjoy a Minecraft... game show? :wth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeKdjnNjgEY

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

OurLivesOnline posted:

The voxel team is really quite ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSHmJ9nPHe4

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

redmercer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeKdjnNjgEY

I'm sad to say, that I was actually entertained by this. It's a good idea and design is well done.
It reminds me of that Yogsolympic videos, with pig rodeo and such the Yogscast made recently. I think I'll watch the next ones also.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

OurLivesOnline posted:

Dayum. That looks really good. And fun.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

OurLivesOnline posted:

Playing through this now, and while every part of it is stupidly well made and imaginative, a lot of the puzzles are really kind of a pain in the rear end.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

OurLivesOnline posted:

One step closer to space station 13 in 3d.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

MikeJF posted:

Well I always thought that the world should be stacked like:

SPAAAACE
SKY ISLANDS
NORMAL WORLD
CAVEWORLD
NETHER

And instead of being other dimensions you're just going up or down.

SPAAAACE should also be accessible by digging out the bottom of the Nether. It's SPAAAACE after all, it's under the planet too.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
This is probably asked every page, but how do I install 1.94pre on a small server for
my brother and I?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Zoe posted:

SPAAAACE should also be accessible by digging out the bottom of the Nether. It's SPAAAACE after all, it's under the planet too.

No, below the nether is the biome where you dig into the shell of the giant space turtle the world rests upon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

President Ark posted:

No, below the nether is the biome where you dig into the shell of the giant space turtle the world rests upon.

Dammit, people, keep up with the pseudo-science, when you break through the bottom of the Nether, you find yourself at the bottom of a different Nether, then you get out of that and you find yourself in China. Duh.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Petey posted:

My friends and I just created a new world with 1.8 a few weeks ago. I love it except for one thing. There are no wolves. Nowhere. I've been in and through several pine forests all over the map. Lots of other passive mobs but no wolves or signs of them. :( none of my other friends have seen any either.

Is this a thing? Anyone know why this might be?

Wolves always had a smaller chance to spawn, and combining that with the fact that each chunk spawns passives once, maybe twice if you leave the server gong long enough, means wolves have a very low chance of spawning.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Allen Wren posted:

Dammit, people, keep up with the pseudo-science, when you break through the bottom of the Nether, you find yourself at the bottom of a different Nether, then you get out of that and you find yourself in China. Duh.
My current 1.9.4pre world feels like New Zealand. A moderately large island with lots and lots of sheep and little else. Maybe if I set sail into the ocean I could find China (or at least Australia)

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

trandorian posted:

Wolves always had a smaller chance to spawn, and combining that with the fact that each chunk spawns passives once, maybe twice if you leave the server gong long enough, means wolves have a very low chance of spawning.

I'm pretty sure wolves are just flat-out broke and not spawning at all in 1.8 SMP.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

EightBit posted:

I would love a mod that made minecraft into a first-person dwarf fortress :allears:

Only problem is that it would move at one frame per minute. Or Hour.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ThndrShk2k posted:

Only problem is that it would move at one frame per minute. Or Hour.

Video game performance doesn't work this way. "Dwarf Fortress + Redstone" is a little worrying, but "Dwarf Fortress + FPS Graphics" shouldn't be a problem at all since they mostly rely on different hardware.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jetsetlemming posted:

My current 1.9.4pre world feels like New Zealand. A moderately large island with lots and lots of sheep and little else. Maybe if I set sail into the ocean I could find China (or at least Australia)

So a huge desert populated by nothing but poison spiders?

I'd stay put, personally.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

SPAAAACE
SKY ISLANDS
NORMAL WORLD
CAVEWORLD
NETHER
TURTLE
NETHER
CAVEWORLD
CHINA
SKY CHINA
SPAAAACE CHINA

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

EightBit posted:

But how would you wrestle a Skeletal Elephant's liver with the current Minecraft engine?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Video game performance doesn't work this way. "Dwarf Fortress + Redstone" is a little worrying, but "Dwarf Fortress + FPS Graphics" shouldn't be a problem at all since they mostly rely on different hardware.

Except that he's talking about turning Minecraft into it, not making a FPS interface for DF. Minecraft's graphical efficiency is laughable. It does way too much work for what it presents. Dwarf Fortress brings most computers to their knees anyway.

Visualizers made for DF however run pretty well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

arhra posted:

I'm pretty sure wolves are just flat-out broke and not spawning at all in 1.8 SMP.

I finally saw a wolf pack on this one 1.8.1 vanilla SMP world I play on after it was on 1.8.1 for 4 weeks, so that's why i think they just have a low chance of spawning.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

redmercer posted:

I quite enjoy the Vech's "Race for Wool" map competition. It's a team-based PVP race.

The race starts at 11:34 - the earlier part is just pre-game babble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cyS8Vbj0_Q

Republicanus fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 16, 2011

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

ThndrShk2k posted:

Except that he's talking about turning Minecraft into it, not making a FPS interface for DF. Minecraft's graphical efficiency is laughable. It does way too much work for what it presents. Dwarf Fortress brings most computers to their knees anyway.

Visualizers made for DF however run pretty well.

May I ask, are you a programmer?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Orthanc6 posted:

CHINA
SKY CHINA
SPAAAACE CHINA

We already have regular China. It's called IndustrialCraft. :v:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

OurLivesOnline posted:

How could such a pretty map be such a pain in the rear end, gameplay-wise? Half the time I can't tell where I'm supposed to be going and the other half I'm thinking there's got to be an easier way to get there. I mean that first jumping puzzle alone took nearly half an hour before I said gently caress it and broke some blocks.

I just want to see the rest of the cool spaceship stuff, not land a pixel-perfect jump :(

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Bicehunter posted:

May I ask, are you a programmer?
Does it matter? It's well known that Notch isn't a top notch (:downsrim:) programmer.

Doesn't mean he doesn't get things done and the game isn't enjoyable, it's just buggy and inefficient at most times. Hopefully the code freeze and polish in the next month will clear a lot of that up.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ThndrShk2k posted:

Does it matter? It's well known that Notch isn't a top notch (:downsrim:) programmer.

You might be surprised to find out that he has a guy for that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Archenteron posted:

But how would you wrestle a Skeletal Elephant's liver with the current Minecraft engine?
Let's be honest, in practice -- in the extent the player is actually influenced by it -- Dwarf Fortress's combat is not much more complex than Minecraft's. Two entities run up to each other, there's a bunch of red flashing, and then one of them dies.
For as much as it's lauded, DF's intricate and detailed combat amounts to hardly more than a huge system written to create fluff, because so little of it actually affects the player in any way.

Someone could just write a mod for Minecraft where whenever you hit an enemy, it generates a paragraph-long description of all the damage you just did in grisly detail. It'd be about the same end result.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Zoe posted:

You just want an easier way to get to SPAAAACE.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.
It would be cool if SPAAAACE's terrain generation has the same limit as the minecraft world, but instead of an "endless ocean" with an invisible wall, you would come upon a transparent shell with a phlogiston beyond that which would contain an infinite amount of other Minecraft universes. Imagine mining the resources of one Minecraft planet dry via multiple trips through SPAAAACE to another planet, in another universe, separated by a psychedelic flowing river of cosmic goo.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

It would be cool if SPAAAACE's terrain generation has the same limit as the minecraft world, but instead of an "endless ocean" with an invisible wall, you would come upon a transparent shell with a phlogiston beyond that which would contain an infinite amount of other Minecraft universes. Imagine mining the resources of one Minecraft planet dry via multiple trips through SPAAAACE to another planet, in another universe, separated by a psychedelic flowing river of cosmic goo.

Imagine connecting to random SMP servers in this fashion. :stare:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Republicanus posted:

I quite enjoy the Vech's "Race for Wool" map competition. It's a team-based PVP race.

The race starts at 11:34 - the earlier part is just pre-game babble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cyS8Vbj0_Q

Thanks for posting this, I just watched all three parts and it was excellent. I love seeing the different directions that the community has taken this game in, in some ways it is more interesting than playing at times. (Man I need a computing that can run it at without crippling lag.)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So is it the official word that a stable 1.9 release is just not going to happen? It seems I went and got readdicted to multiplayer at the worst possible time. :(

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

It would be cool if SPAAAACE's terrain generation has the same limit as the minecraft world, but instead of an "endless ocean" with an invisible wall, you would come upon a transparent shell with a phlogiston beyond that which would contain an infinite amount of other Minecraft universes.

How long have you been waiting for an excuse to use the word 'phlogiston'?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

OurLivesOnline posted:

I don't know what to say other than "That is loving amazing! Are you kidding?!"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Raskolnikov posted:

I don't know what to say other than "That is loving amazing! Are you kidding?!"

I only watched the first part last night and I was like 'Ehh, Minecraft in space? I guess that's kinda cool' and then today I watched the rest of it and it knocked my socks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Is there a reason we're talking about space other than that sci-fi youtube video posted a while ago? Did Notch/Jeb tweet something?