Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Bret Hart naming him number one contender still rules even today.

That was one of the few good things about the dying days of WCW. Nobody gave a poo poo what anyone was doing or saying on camera, so you'd have classic lines like that come out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

So a number of us just watched Bash at the Beach '98.

gently caress this company.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box posted:

It really sums up the whole thing- the undercard does some solid work, there are some fun matches, and then the main event is something that shouldn't even be on free TV let alone something you pay money for.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2bJL09Y826c#t=182s

I am just going to leave this here.

Not that this is any sort of defense of Van Hammer, but there never was a second time that Van Hammer tried to throw Bull into the pool.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

cool ppv I got to see EDDIE GUERRERO

but seriously, everything after Jericho's match was bad. So bad. So brutally bad. I had heard you guys complain about how bad it was but wow it was bad. I could not have done that alone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Was this showing instead of the showing during the TNA PPV?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Was this showing instead of the showing during the TNA PPV?

No we've just been synctubing a lot of WCW in preparation for a PSPcast.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

No we've just been synctubing a lot of WCW in preparation for a PSPcast.

Where was it announced? I am sort of angry I missed some Eddie

Sikki Nixx
Sep 3, 2011

Whether you like it, or you don't like it, learn to love it! WOOOOO!

LordPants posted:

The man was making a joke. :smith:

Hooray! Someone understood my joke, or at least sympathized with my crippling lack of comedic timing. And for the record, I love Van Hammer. The Stringless flying Vs that would switch from left to right handed all the time were awesome. Like I said, anyone who can have a Hair metal gimmick in wrestling is a man that deserves to be idolized. If he ever does another match for Maryland Championship Wrestling, you can bet my rear end will be in the front row with my guitar, teased hair, and a van hammer t shirt...wait, did he ever have a t-shirt? if so, where can I buy it?

Sikki Nixx fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 16, 2011

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Where was it announced? I am sort of angry I missed some Eddie

It was in the WWE Discussion thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

I killed myself because of it. I'm a ghost now.

What the gently caress was that main event? I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If you folks wanted a real mind gently caress, watch Bash '99.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Fans like celebrities mixed with their wrestling.

At least Malone looked like he actually wanted to be there and had a go at learning some moves from Kanyon.

Rodman was mostly just standing on the apron sleeping. If I remember correctly they at least had the good sense to not let Rodman and Malone actually wrestle each other much and relied on DDP and Hogan to carry them.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
You want to REALLY hate WCW, put on Fall Brawl 1998.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CVagts posted:

I once watched every Ultimate Warrior segment in WCW when some dude posted them on youtube. I did that in a single night. I don't like WCW very much anymore.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Apparently I was at Bash at the Beach 98.

I don't even remember being there.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Quite possibly the worst feud of the Monday Night War era. I would say the 1990s as a whole, but I don't know enough about the early 90s to say that with 100% confidence.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Apparently I was at this nitro and do not remember much besides the main event. http://www.pwwew.net/tv/nitro/000904.htm

So I guess I saw the last war games ever?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Lone Rogue posted:

I remember this PPV from when I was a kid. Buff Bagwell VS Roddy Piper in a boxing match with Mills Lane as the Ref. It ended in a pinfall.

CVagts posted:

Im looking at the results to it. What was bad about it?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 16, 2011

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I don't remember that Buff/Piper boxing match, but on wikipedia, it says that Buff won via pinfall with a blockbuster.

I hope Pacquiao uses a blockbuster then pins his opponent next month.

I still love all this wacky poo poo so much. I'm insane.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Im looking at the results to it. What was bad about it?

Literally everything. Every match sucked, stupid booking decisions, worst Wargames ever. The best matches of the night were the Cruiserweight Title match and Raven/Saturn, and both would fit in the "decent match" range on any given Raw.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CVagts posted:

Booker T. vs. Finlay and Raven vs. Saturn made this show worth its money.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrBling posted:

Fans like celebrities mixed with their wrestling.

At least Malone looked like he actually wanted to be there and had a go at learning some moves from Kanyon.

Rodman was mostly just standing on the apron sleeping. If I remember correctly they at least had the good sense to not let Rodman and Malone actually wrestle each other much and relied on DDP and Hogan to carry them.
Rodman was drunk.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

tzirean posted:

Literally everything. Every match sucked, stupid booking decisions, worst Wargames ever. The best matches of the night were the Cruiserweight Title match and Raven/Saturn, and both would fit in the "decent match" range on any given Raw.

I wouldn't say it is the worst Wargames ever (Wargames 2000 is definitely worse. It might be the worst double ring War Games though) but the show is really wretched. Raven/Saturn is a good match, but the rest of it is such a steaming pile of poo poo. War Games itself seems like it is basically trying to get you to stop buying WCW PPVs by leaving the worst taste in your mouth it possibly can.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I saved up my allowance when I was 11 to buy War Games 97, the one with the NWO vs the Four Horsemen. It was so bad, and I hated the finish so much, that I just stopped watching wrestling altogether for a couple years.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The dumbest thing about that year was the fact that whoever got the pinfall got the title shot against Goldberg, ensuring that the team dynamic meant absolutely nothing and loving up the entire psychology of the match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

I saved up my allowance when I was 11 to buy War Games 97, the one with the NWO vs the Four Horsemen. It was so bad, and I hated the finish so much, that I just stopped watching wrestling altogether for a couple years.

Really? That was a pretty good use of that spot. It made me want to see Flair kill Hennig.

The pinfall/title shot aspect didn't really ruin the psychology since having three teams ruined it anyway. The whole thing was just a terrible idea.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

I wouldn't say it is the worst Wargames ever (Wargames 2000 is definitely worse. It might be the worst double ring War Games though)

Wargames 2000 isn't a real Wargames. Russo christening something "Wargames" doesn't make it so.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MassRayPer posted:

Really? That was a pretty good use of that spot. It made me want to see Flair kill Hennig.

The pinfall/title shot aspect didn't really ruin the psychology since having three teams ruined it anyway. The whole thing was just a terrible idea.

In context I suppose it wasn't so bad, but I paid for it and didn't even really get to see a main event. I felt so cheated.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Lone Rogue posted:

The entire summer of 1999 in WCW was called the "Summer of Suck" for a reason. Only the absolute depths of WCW 2000 can compare.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

In context I suppose it wasn't so bad, but I paid for it and didn't even really get to see a main event. I felt so cheated.

They did nearly a full match until the Hennig turn. Granted you didn't see THE MATCH BEYOND but that was still a decent War Games.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This was the best part of Fall Brawl 1998:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W3_VdlXmQ0

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Jericho was loving amazing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MassRayPer posted:

They did nearly a full match until the Hennig turn. Granted you didn't see THE MATCH BEYOND but that was still a decent War Games.

Once again, I was 11. It was awful to me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
What was worse. The Junkyard Invitational, or putting Hogan/Rodman vs DDP/Malone for 24 minutes when the WHC gets a 4 minute match.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Toffile posted:

What was worse. The Junkyard Invitational, or putting Hogan/Rodman vs DDP/Malone for 24 minutes when the WHC gets a 4 minute match.

There was more injuries in the Junkyard Invitational

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Toffile posted:

Goldberg squashing Hennig in 4 minutes was a good idea, so the former.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

If you haven't read Jericho's book, he wanted Goldberg to squash the poo poo out of him for the payoff but Goldberg was mad because he was on vacation for the PPV so he refused to do it. Also he didn't "get" what Jericho was doing in the feud.

Fall Brawl would be considered a "Big 4" event for WCW right. Basically their Royal Rubmle in the road to Starrcade.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Goldberg's argument was literally, "I don't do comedy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Goldberg's argument was literally, "I don't do comedy."