Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

blackguy32 posted:

I bought this when it was on sale and unfortunately haven't played that much. I don't think I have played online at all :(
I got it for $15 a while back and this was my first time playing it. I haven't touched online either, outside of the demo. I'd be down for going through the campaign again online though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Playing Lost Planet 2 online is the only way you should play it.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Out of nowhere, Sam & Max Season 2 this Tuesday! :dance:

Not counting the digital download of Dead Space, minis and Street Fighter Alpha 3, that's 17 new PS3 games this week. :psyduck:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yechezkel posted:

Not counting the digital download of Dead Space, minis and Street Fighter Alpha 3, that's 17 new PS3 games this week. :psyduck:

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! Thank you Telltale! Thank you thank you thank you!

Oh my god, Payday comes out that day too?! I need another PSN card!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SOTC is on psn right? I can't seem to find the retail edition anywhere. And do you get all the dlc of Castlevania on PSN ?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Yechezkel posted:

Soooooo, when are we getting new PS2 Classics?

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?

Krad posted:

Probably the same time we're getting new Dreamcast Classics!

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Policenaut posted:

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! Thank you Telltale! Thank you thank you thank you!

Oh my god, Payday comes out that day too?! I need another PSN card!

Payday sounds like a good game and in trailers it may look like a good game, but have you seen that thing in action? It does not look fun. I am talking bland environments with waves of terrible AI running at you at all times. Nothing I have seen really shows it as playing like a heist at all. I looked into it when it was part of that September program and was immediately discourage from participating.

But I will be considering both Rocketbirds and Dungeon Defenders.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ulio posted:

SOTC is on psn right? I can't seem to find the retail edition anywhere. And do you get all the dlc of Castlevania on PSN ?

ICO/SOTC collection is not on PSN at this time.
All of the DLC is available, but it's not bundled with the main game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Neon Knight posted:

Payday sounds like a good game and in trailers it may look like a good game, but have you seen that thing in action? It does not look fun. I am talking bland environments with waves of terrible AI running at you at all times. Nothing I have seen really shows it as playing like a heist at all. I looked into it when it was part of that September program and was immediately discourage from participating.

But I will be considering both Rocketbirds and Dungeon Defenders.

I really like the concept for the game as it reminds me of Fragile Alliance from Kane and Lynch and it looks like an interesting enough game, I've only seen the trailer though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Code Jockey posted:

Unless there's some pain in the rear end aspect to it, I really don't think I'll mind doing this. :shobon: I've been racking up trophies just helpin' people out right now.

I blew the chance at my non-lethal playthrough at the VERY beginning gunned down the guys in the prologue portion but still going for the knock 50 guys out trophy. Next play through I'll do the whole game on hardest difficulty, non lethal. If only there was a :black101: where he was holding a stun baton. :v:

Also Detroit is awesome. Holy cow. It's kind of edging out DX1 Hong Kong as my favorite FPS environment ever.

The real pain in the rear end is the "no alarms" trophy because often you'll trip one without realizing it and kill your chances at the trophy. I didn't get that trophy until my third playthrough.

Edit: And you may as well play on Hard on your first playthrough. The only difference I noticed between difficulties is the amount of damage you deal/take. Since you'll be one-hit KOing most enemies anyway (if you play the sneaky way, like most people) the damage scaling makes no difference whatsoever, except for the bosses. Even then, if you get hit much you're probably dead anyway, no matter the difficulty. And the third boss can be one-shotted if you don't make a stupid decision about two hours before you get to him.

...! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 17, 2011

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Yechezkel posted:

I was hoping you were mistaken and it was actually Season 4, but you're not. Dammit, Telltale, make some new games; quit shoveling your back catalog at us. :mad:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

I was hoping you were mistaken and it was actually Season 4, but you're not. Dammit, Telltale, make some new games; quit shoveling your back catalog at us. :mad:

:crossarms:

The Back to the Future game only finished like a month or so ago and I think the Jurassic Park one is coming out soon. They've been making plenty of new games and complaining is beyond senseless and completely disconnected from reality.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

...! posted:

Dammit, Telltale, make some new games; quit shoveling your back catalog at us. :mad:
They have one: Jurassic Park is coming out next month.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
Are there any loot-driven ARPGs or Monster Hunter sort of games out there? I've had a PS3 for a while, but it hasn't been used for anything other than Rock Band :o:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Amrosorma posted:

Are there any loot-driven ARPGs or Monster Hunter sort of games out there? I've had a PS3 for a while, but it hasn't been used for anything other than Rock Band :o:

I enjoy Sacred 2 a lot. Its more loot driven and not really like Monster Hunter at all. But the world is huge and its pretty cheap nowadays.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

blackguy32 posted:

I enjoy Sacred 2 a lot. Its more loot driven and not really like Monster Hunter at all. But the world is huge and its pretty cheap nowadays.

I already have that for PC :negative:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Amrosorma posted:

I already have that for PC :negative:

I guess there is dark souls and demons souls, but I don't really count those as very loot driven games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

I guess there is dark souls and demons souls, but I don't really count those as very loot driven games.
They do have all the loot you could ever want though.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Polite Tim posted:

I have a feeling you're pretty much halfway through, though the latter half of the game can be easily done in about five hours if you're not bothering with the 'spergy sidequests. Definitely not a long game though

The thing is (and I can't stress this enough), you really should play through New Game+ at least once (and optimally 3 times, to get all the endings), and do it fairly close to when you beat it the first time. You can definitely skip all the wonky stuff like fishing and farming and such, but budget the time to run through NG+, which only replays the second half of the game anyway.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

blue.eyed.ash posted:

The thing is (and I can't stress this enough), you really should play through New Game+ at least once (and optimally 3 times, to get all the endings), and do it fairly close to when you beat it the first time. You can definitely skip all the wonky stuff like fishing and farming and such, but budget the time to run through NG+, which only replays the second half of the game anyway.

This really is true, and I do mean that. NG+ isn't just "Start over with your stuff", it changes pretty much everything about the second half of the game, and really is completely necessary to understanding the entire story. You honestly haven't finished Nier until you've at least beaten it once on NG+, and like blue.eyed.ash said, it even skips over the entire first half of the game, so it's only a few hours at most to see it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So what's the opinion on Sideway: New York? I played it for a little bit today (before going right back into Dark Souls) but it seems like a really clever and fun 2S platformer.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I've probably beaten Shadow of the Colossus ten times now and that ending is still amazing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

...! posted:

The real pain in the rear end is the "no alarms" trophy because often you'll trip one without realizing it and kill your chances at the trophy. I didn't get that trophy until my third playthrough.

Edit: And you may as well play on Hard on your first playthrough. The only difference I noticed between difficulties is the amount of damage you deal/take. Since you'll be one-hit KOing most enemies anyway (if you play the sneaky way, like most people) the damage scaling makes no difference whatsoever, except for the bosses. Even then, if you get hit much you're probably dead anyway, no matter the difficulty. And the third boss can be one-shotted if you don't make a stupid decision about two hours before you get to him.

No alarms sounds like a nightmare. Does that mean no "suspicious", etc or just no red "oh gently caress oh gently caress" level alarms?

Speaking of bosses, I just got to the first one, and all I want to know - nothing specific - is this: if I kill him, like shoot him to death with bullets, does that disqualify me for the no-death trophy? Or do I need to find a sneaky way to deal with him? I was curious if bosses were exempt.

Also holy poo poo DopeFish! and all the references to Manderley are interesting, for sure...

I can't wait to see where this is going.

You weren't kidding. By god, you weren't kidding. DX:HR is... it's... it's really starting to be better than DX1. I never thought I'd say that, but here we are. It's that rare case when a sequel, far after the original, does alright!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The achievement tells you that you shouldn't worry about killing the bosses. There's no non-lethal ways to get rid of them.

I would've liked DE:HR more if the combat hadn't been another godawful cover shooter and that hacking minigame hadn't been everywhere. The levels were also pretty cramped and the game never gave you as much freedom as the first half of DE did.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

No alarms sounds like a nightmare. Does that mean no "suspicious", etc or just no red "oh gently caress oh gently caress" level alarms?

Speaking of bosses, I just got to the first one, and all I want to know - nothing specific - is this: if I kill him, like shoot him to death with bullets, does that disqualify me for the no-death trophy? Or do I need to find a sneaky way to deal with him? I was curious if bosses were exempt.

Also holy poo poo DopeFish! and all the references to Manderley are interesting, for sure...

I can't wait to see where this is going.

You weren't kidding. By god, you weren't kidding. DX:HR is... it's... it's really starting to be better than DX1. I never thought I'd say that, but here we are. It's that rare case when a sequel, far after the original, does alright!

Suspicious is okay for no alarms, you just can't let an alarm go off, ever. If you're spotted, it's okay so long as the alarm doesn't go off. If you're spotted by robots, cameras, or turrets, the alarm goes off. If you fail a hack ever, the alarm goes off (Unless you're in a place with no hostiles, like Sarif HQ or city streets). If a guard spots you, I think you're okay, but he'll yell really loud and somebody will immediately run and set off an alarm, so it's best to just avoid ever being seen altogether and not having to worry about it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Crappy Jack posted:

Suspicious is okay for no alarms, you just can't let an alarm go off, ever. If you're spotted, it's okay so long as the alarm doesn't go off. If you're spotted by robots, cameras, or turrets, the alarm goes off. If you fail a hack ever, the alarm goes off (Unless you're in a place with no hostiles, like Sarif HQ or city streets). If a guard spots you, I think you're okay, but he'll yell really loud and somebody will immediately run and set off an alarm, so it's best to just avoid ever being seen altogether and not having to worry about it.

Oh, cool then. I've been spotted, but the guards, for whatever reason, decided to take a nap immediately after spotting me and never did get the chance to ring the alarm.

Strangest thing. :c00l:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

If a guard spots you, I think you're okay, but he'll yell really loud and somebody will immediately run and set off an alarm, so it's best to just avoid ever being seen altogether and not having to worry about it.

Bear in mind you can hack alarm panels to permanently prevent them from being used to help mitigate this slightly. I only found this out about halfway through the game - since you couldn't hack the ones in the original Deus Ex, I thought that would still apply.

proka
Feb 6, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Also holy poo poo DopeFish!

That really stood out to me too. I tried to explain to my wife how cool it was that they snuck him in there, but she just shrugged. I played the poo poo out of the Commander Keen series and love to see him sneak into games.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Got a question for the thread:

What games make the ps3 worth getting?

I've been looking into getting a ps3 this Xmas. I'm already looking at the Infamous 2 or Uncharted 3 bundles, but what games made the ps3 worth getting otherwise?

What exclusives or good versions of games were really good on ps3. What did I miss in 4 years of not having a console?

Any info on good games to get ( especially cheap ones ) would greatly benefit me in shopping around on a Ps3.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Do you have an Xbox360? Are you only interested in exclusives? The Drake games are definately good and getting the upcoming system bundle sounds like a good idea. If you're crazy, you can also hold out for the Black Friday bundles that come out after Thanksgiving, but have fun camping out at 2 AM to get one.

There are also about to be a million posts in here about how you should get Demon Souls / Dark Souls, but read about the game in the thread before purchasing, its not for everyone. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439963

What type of games do you like? Sports? Action? RPG? First Person Shooters?

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 17, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doh, wrong thread, stupid tabs. :)

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 17, 2011

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Cartoon Man posted:

Do you have an Xbox360? Are you only interested in exclusives? The Drake games are definately good and getting the upcoming system bundle sounds like a good idea. If you're crazy, you can also hold out for the Black Friday bundles that come out after Thanksgiving, but have fun camping out at 2 AM to get one.

There are also about to be a million posts in here about how you should get Demon Souls / Dark Souls, but read about the game in the thread before purchasing, its not for everyone. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439963

What type of games do you like? Sports? Action? RPG? First Person Shooters?

Let's start with the 360 question. Nope. No 360. Never again. I had 2 break down on me over the time i had them ( from launch till late 2007 ). Between that and having to pay for stuff like p2p multiplayer, i flat out quit consoles for a while.

Next question: Exclusives. Im interested in anything i can play on the system. As far as uncharted goes im definitely interested in it.

I have a friend campaigning for me to get Demon Souls / Dark Souls. Im kinda not interested. They sound interesting, but the lack of true multiplayer coop makes me think twice.

Games i like:
Shooters whose lynchpins arent simple 'deathmatch' or military realism.( Example, I love Team Fortress 2, I freaking hate Call of Duty and Battlefield.)
3rd person action games of all kinds.
RPGS: This is an odd one. I love western style rpgs in the vein of stuff like Elder Scrolls. Im not a big fan of JRPGS.
I love arcadey super fast competative racers.
I love fighting games.
I love anything coop. Cooperative gameplay is usually a huge seller for me.

Edit: Taking a look at the list of games in the OP, im kinda overwhelmed. Theres like 20 or so games that i couldnt play on pc.

Honestly i will say the three games im most interested in are Infamous( 1 or 2 ), Any of the uncharted games, and any ratchet and clank.

Talkc fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 17, 2011

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Talkc posted:

Let's start with the 360 question. Nope. No 360. Never again. I had 2 break down on me over the time i had them ( from launch till late 2007 ). Between that and having to pay for stuff like p2p multiplayer, i flat out quit consoles for a while.

Next question: Exclusives. Im interested in anything i can play on the system. As far as uncharted goes im definitely interested in it.

I have a friend campaigning for me to get Demon Souls / Dark Souls. Im kinda not interested. They sound interesting, but the lack of true multiplayer coop makes me think twice.

Games i like:
Shooters whose lynchpins arent simple 'deathmatch' or military realism.( Example, I love Team Fortress 2, I freaking hate Call of Duty and Battlefield.)
RPGS: This is an odd one. I love western style rpgs in the vein of stuff like Elder Scrolls. Im not a big fan of JRPGS.
I love fighting games.

• The uncharted Trilogy is an absolute must. There's a double pack of the first 2 out now for cheap and the 3rd is out in November.
  • God of War, there are 5 on the PS3 (one native PS3 game, the rest are PS2/PSP games given HD makeovers.) God of war 2 is a fantastic game and 3 should be played just for the :stare: :aaa: feeling of the set-piece battles
  • Resistance 3 plays a lot like Half life 2 and has full campaign co-op. Resistance 2 has an awesome, totally separate 8player co-op mode but if you don't like COD you might not like R2. I dunno what the player base is like now the sequel is out.
  • Metal Gear solid 4 (and the HD collection out next month, which includes the PSP game) If you've played/enjoyed the rest of the series
  • Not a PS3 exclusive, but Red Dead Redemption if you have any interest in GTA-like games. There's a GOTY edition with all the DLC bundled in. RDR is seriously one of the best games I've ever played

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

To add to that:

• Fallout New Vegas is a good western style RPG, much improved over Fallout 3. It should get a GOTY re-release in the next month or so with all the DLC bundled in pretty cheap.
  • For arcadey racers, any of the Motorstorm games are all PS3 exclusive. The two sequels are much better than the first. Also Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is really drat fun to run from cops, especially if you liked the original way back on the first Playstation.
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution is a fantastic FPS with light RPG elements and great stealthy gameplay. You can also play it as a balls out shooter if that is your thing, the choice is yours.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Talkc posted:

Edit: Taking a look at the list of games in the OP, im kinda overwhelmed. Theres like 20 or so games that i couldnt play on pc.

Honestly i will say the three games im most interested in are Infamous( 1 or 2 ), Any of the uncharted games, and any ratchet and clank.

New Ratchet and Clank comes out tomorrow too. The last one (A Crack in Time) is also really great.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Talkc posted:

Games i like:
I love fighting games.

Demon's Souls:
This is easy to pick up for 19.99 or less. If you want to do multiplayer co-op, you can always skype/irc/instant message with someone and organize it so you can join each other's games. It's not that complicated. Also, you can use Demon's Souls as a limitus test for Dark Souls. If you can beat Demon's Souls and still enjoye dit, then get Dark Souls.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Also I don't know if you've played it on PC yet or not, but just in case, Arkham Asylum is incredible, and its amazing looking sequel comes out tomorrow.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Talkc posted:

It's true there is no "real" co-op, but the game is designed around that. You're not supposed to go off with your buddy, you're "supposed" to be helping that poor guy who needs help with the boss of 2-2 because he can't do it on his own. It's definitely not everyone's thing, but it is something that everyone should at least try at some point, because you'll never play another game quite like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Krad posted:

The current rumor is the first PSN update of the month until they change their minds.

• Locked thread