Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

RedTonic posted:

So, what's the verdict on trading items in Dark Souls? Is it possible or impossible? I picked up a moss dropped by a summoner once, so is it only one way?

It is possible, but far too much of a pain to get set up than it is worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Man, there is a limited stock? That sucks. So you can get screwed and be cursed for the rest of the game if you happen to use it all up? Is it per vendor or global?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Why is it that there was a white flash near me and my flask was refilled and I got a humanity?

Someone else on your server kindled the same bonfire as the one you are currently at. You got a temporary +1 estus.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Crowbear posted:

Yup. It'll be available from the merchant on the lower level of the aqueduct in Firelink once you beat them.

What aqueduct? What's it near? Not the guy in the sewer, right?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Is it possible to be summoned by Alvina if you've put down a summon sign?

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
My new character just beat up Capra Demon for someone using the slow-rear end pose R2 attack with the Black Knight Sword.

About two minutes later I get a message from the JP Player and the contents are:

subject: orz

Isko
May 20, 2008
I'm kind of annoyed that the black knight weapons are random drops. I really wanted that Black Knight Greatsword.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Man, there is a limited stock? That sucks. So you can get screwed and be cursed for the rest of the game if you happen to use it all up? Is it per vendor or global?

There is a guy in New Londo who can uncurse you as well, an infinite number of times to boot. Although to get to him you're in ghost territory where you'd want to be cursed so if that ends up being the solution bring homeward bones.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

It is possible, but far too much of a pain to get set up than it is worth.

It's like trading in Diablo without the trading window only in order to connect to someone you know and trust you need to probe servers with the soapstones hundreds of times until you finally connect with your friend, and you can't communicate in-game.

Play through the game twice and try to remember the decisions you made last time and do the opposite, and you'll have seen all the content and items.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Dr. Glasscock posted:

There are other ways to remove a curse; Some enemies drop curse cures, including ghosts which you need to be cursed to damage and the clams in ash lake/crystal cave. There's also an NPC that can remove the curse for you. And there are multiple NPCs who sell the curse cure as well.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Elysiume posted:

What are the stats of the stuff they drop? Which one should I kill? The armor on the guy with the spear looks a lot cooler.
It does certainly look cooler, I can't deny that. The weapons made from their souls are both mostly unusable at the moment, though the spear could be good if they fix scaling in the patch. Skinny's armor may be way cooler looking, but fatty's armor is generally more useful. I am cartwheeling around in that poo poo right now.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

RedTonic posted:

Is it possible to be summoned by Alvina if you've put down a summon sign?

Yes.

Dr. Glasscock posted:

There is a fellow down in New Londo who will uncurse you for a fee of 1 humanity. You have to fight through The Ghost Room to get to him though. On the upside you only have to reach him once, after which he will move to Firelink.

Isko posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that the black knight weapons are random drops. I really wanted that Black Knight Greatsword.

In the final area of the game there are respawning Black Knights of every stripe

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Garin posted:

My new character just beat up Capra Demon for someone using the slow-rear end pose R2 attack with the Black Knight Sword.

About two minutes later I get a message from the JP Player and the contents are:

This post owns harder than I can describe.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Also dammit people it's ANOR LONDO it really bothers me when people misspell fictional names :spergin:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Holy gently caress the Boar Fang Helm looks loving metal! :rock:

Isko
May 20, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

In the final area of the game there are respawning Black Knights of every stripe

Alright, sounds good to me.

Ayss
Jul 11, 2007

Dirty Job posted:

I want to see a fix to a bug that I feel like I'm the only one who experiences.

Sometimes, when I'm blocking and try to attack, nothing will happen until I release my shield button or press attack again. It's particularly bad in tight situations where it has often caused me to die because my shield was down at the exact wrong moment.

I am with you and this is certainly the most frustrating thing in the game to me so far. This is easily in my top 3 all time now, I love the hell out of it so this little issue isn't hurting my enjoyment of the game.

But even so, it's not an issue that appeared in Demon's Souls, and I'd love to see it fixed.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is there any easy possible way to kill the hellkite dragon at a low level?

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 17, 2011

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Defghanistan posted:

Hey so how does one reasonably do the catacombs without a way to permanently put down those skellies? My lightning claymore +2 in't doing it and my chaos fireball doesnt even seem to put them down for good.
How does one avoid having an army of 600 skellies following him on a mad dash to suicide?

I feel like Indiana Jones with the boulder chasing him except it's an army of undead death instead

=(

Does the crystal ring shield put them down for good?...I think...I think it does!

get a divine weapon or kill the necromancers

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Garin posted:

I'm surprised the Black Knight Sword doesn't get more love. I guess not everyone gets it due to Black Knight drops being random. I've been lucky because nearly every one has dropped something for me.

It's R2 attacks are slow as gently caress, but it's R1 attacks are basically a double-damage claymore that staggers the hell out of enemies. Two-handing it is beastly.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

The Wise Teen posted:

What aqueduct? What's it near? Not the guy in the sewer, right?

If you head from Firelink towards Undead Burg, instead of climbing up the stairs, you can go along the ledge and jump to the aqueduct in question. The merchant is on there along with an item.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Something has been bothering me.

In the intro sequence, they mention all of the lords you must destroy for their souls in the third act of the game. Then they mention furtive Pygmy, so easily forgotten. Yet he is never mentioned again through the entire game (potentially because he is, in fact, so easily forgotten).

Seems as though there's something a bit more to the story than is presented.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Something has been bothering me.

In the intro sequence, they mention all of the lords you must destroy for their souls in the third act of the game. Then they mention furtive Pygmy, so easily forgotten. Yet he is never mentioned again through the entire game (potentially because he is, in fact, so easily forgotten).

Seems as though there's something a bit more to the story than is presented.

Sounds like somebody never talked to Kaathe...

Mordiceius posted:

You can do it as soon as you meet him by going to the area where the rats are under the bridge going as afar as you can on the lip and aiming up at him and he'll never attack you. Note you'll probably need to fire like 500 arrows because your bows and arrows are terrible and he regenerates health while on the building.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Mordiceius posted:

The top of the tower that leads into the front of the Undead Parish has a Black Knight on top of it. If you're good enough to backstab him to death or whatever else, you can shoot an arrow from there at the dragon and it'll fly off and despawn. You won't get the loot, but you'll get the souls.

For legit methods, you have to be able to outpace his self heal, something that low level players plinking arrows at him can't hope to be able to do.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Barudak posted:

Sounds like somebody never talked to Kaathe...

I did not, thank you for that clarification. I'll do it in my next run.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

sentrygun posted:

The top of the tower that leads into the front of the Undead Parish has a Black Knight on top of it. If you're good enough to backstab him to death or whatever else, you can shoot an arrow from there at the dragon and it'll fly off and despawn. You won't get the loot, but you'll get the souls.

Does he give any loot other than the drake sword? Because I already have that.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
How exactly do chaos weapons compare to lightning? I heard they cap at 20 humanity, is that right?

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
So is there any eventual benefit to sticking with Way of White? The guy at Firelink told me that they kindle bonfires for gain some kind of reward, so I've been kindling like crazy, but it's unclear whether I'm working towards something or not.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So for the Lordvessel there's the Four Kings, Nito, the dragon in the Archives, and who else? Where's the last door for the Lordvessel?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Mordiceius posted:

Does he give any loot other than the drake sword? Because I already have that.

A Dragon's Scale (I think these are limited quantity but I'm not sure) and possibly something else. He's not worth that many souls if I remember correctly, I'd just wait until you can actually manage to fight him properly and make a cool fight out of it since you can ignore him for the rest of the game after you open the shortcut ladder next to the bonfire.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

So for the Lordvessel there's the Four Kings, Nito, the dragon in the Archives, and who else? Where's the last door for the Lordvessel?

The Witch Izalith, down in Lost Izalith where Capra demons run free and lava pours out constantly.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Bed of Chaos, in Lost Izalith beyond the Demon Ruins (which itself is beyond Qualaag's Domain, which is beyond Blighttown which is beyond the Depths and if you still can't find it after all of that you shouldn't be worrying about it)

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

sentrygun posted:

A Dragon's Scale (I think these are limited quantity but I'm not sure) and possibly something else. He's not worth that many souls if I remember correctly, I'd just wait until you can actually manage to fight him properly and make a cool fight out of it since you can ignore him for the rest of the game after you open the shortcut ladder next to the bonfire.

it's 10k souls but he's also a really easy soul grinding spot for low levels so I wouldnt kill him until you're leaving the Burg/Parish

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bed of Chaos, in Lost Izalith beyond the Demon Ruins (which itself is beyond Qualaag's Domain, which is beyond Blighttown which is beyond the Depths and if you still can't find it after all of that you shouldn't be worrying about it)

Ah, alright. I thought Demon Ruins was a dead-end zone, I didn't go much farther after fighting Ceaseless Discharge. Thanks for the inf-

quote:

where Capra demons run free

:stare:

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Barudak posted:

The Witch Izalith, down in Lost Izalith where Capra demons run free and lava pours out constantly.

No, the Bed of Chaos in Lost Izalith. The witch is just for pyromancers looking to get a dope spell after you talk to the pyromancy lady in Blighttown.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

mistermojo posted:

it's 10k souls but he's also a really easy soul grinding spot for low levels so I wouldnt kill him until you're leaving the Burg/Parish

Ah, I was thinking it was in the thousands range, not ten thousands.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

How exactly do chaos weapons compare to lightning? I heard they cap at 20 humanity, is that right?

20 Humanity is about 50% more damage on my chaos gargoyle halberd +1 (~250->~400)

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

You can do it as soon as you meet him by going to the area where the rats are under the bridge going as afar as you can on the lip and aiming up at him and he'll never attack you. Note you'll probably need to fire like 500 arrows because your bows and arrows are terrible and he regenerates health while on the building.

If you apply Gold Pine Resin to your melee weapon your your right hand while having your bow equipped in your left, the lightning damage will apply to your arrows. It'll only take 30-40 arrows then. :ssh:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Professor Latency posted:

No, the Bed of Chaos in Lost Izalith. The witch is just for pyromancers looking to get a dope spell after you talk to the pyromancy lady in Blighttown.

The Witch of Izalith is Quelaana's mother. She's trapped in the Bed of Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Crowbear posted:

The Witch of Izalith is Quelaana's mother. She's trapped in the Bed of Chaos.

Ohh. Nevermind me then.

• Locked thread