Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Spike McMayhem posted:

After hours of trying to kill Rosencrantz and Guildenstern or whoever the gently caress and being repeatedly hammered or speared to death, I gave up and finally summoned... a completely naked japanese player who proceeded to absolutely slaughter them both with a god damned club while I sat around at the back trying to get a hit in.

:stare:

I had a similar experience in the same fight, except I'm not sure whether the phantom was a Japanese player (don't remember the name). He was, however, a golden phantom with pyromancy skills whose health bar was big enough that an Estus +2 barely covered 1/4 of his health. He proceeded to kite Smough around on the opposite end of the room for the whole 2-3 minutes it took me and another phantom to kill Ornstein, without taking or dealing a single point of damage; then destroyed Smough with ranged fire spells, right up until the final two blows, at which point he very obviously and graciously backed away so that I could do the honor.

That was only my second time trying the fight, too. I feel like I need to start being a white phantom more often to pay it forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can always recognize Japanese players because their names are much less likely to be an affront to adult sensibilities.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can always recognize Japanese players because their names are much less likely to be an affront to adult sensibilities.

Is there a japanese equivalent of xXxGOKUSEPHIROTHxXX? I want to know who to avoid next time I'm summoning folks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dear Watson posted:

When you say backstabs from the front, do you mean that literally? Or is it the riposte animation? I haven't had much pvp, but what I have had didn't include any of this lag and backstabbing from the front.

That was the classic :qq: about pvp Demon's Souls. It was due lag and usually a gross exaggeration.

Jetpack Postman posted:

At least you can change your guide. I wouldn't worry about the FuturePress guide becoming just a fancy collectible, since it still has accurate maps, enemy drops, NPC guides and item locations. I'm still holding out hope that end up releasing a second edition somewhere down the line...

I agree with most of the changes you'd like, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the damage on Lightning/Fire weapons or the Dark Wood Grain Ring. Scaling weapons need to buffed quite a bit so they can catch up with Elemental weapons, but the damage on those weapons should stay the same otherwise they'd fall to the same problem that the Dragon weapons had and would fall into uselessness after New Game +. The Dark Wood Grain Ring is strong, but it still takes up one of only two rings slots (one of which is likely already taken by the ring that improves HP, Stamina and Equip Weight). It's still a good tradeoff.

The ring makes your roll go further and faster. That's fine. But it also invalidates the 25 vs 50% roll distinction making going with another ring and a slower roll and less poise in your armor and a worse run your alternative. It lessens capable build variability. It's bad. Everyone that has it wears it literally all the time (unless they're ironflesh scumming the four kings).

Also scaling weapons need to ve stronger than non-scaling weapons. If they're powered the same there's no reason at all to use scaling weapons because you're just loving yourself out of hp and endurance that way. Demon's Souls got that balance just right IMO. Dragon weapons were viable in NG+, by the way, as you could then have 80 vit without a problem. In fact, the single most overpowered build used a nonscaling weapon plus Curse and vit gouging to reach its status (DBS).

raton fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 17, 2011

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
gently caress the fog ring. What a loving retarded idea. It absolutely ruins PvP gameplay.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just beat the Swamp Boss without dying.

I'm sure after posting this I'll be told that it's one of the easier bosses, but for now a pretty dang badass. :)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Is there a japanese equivalent of xXxGOKUSEPHIROTHxXX? I want to know who to avoid next time I'm summoning folks.
Not that I know of, most of them are just...names. One I played with a few times last night was just named soulfolks, what a nice name.

edit: for comparison, the last non-Japanese player I played with was named LASTBRAVE1. What is it about capslock that is so appealing?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 17, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

axleblaze posted:

I just beat the Swamp Boss without dying.

I'm sure after posting this I'll be told that it's one of the easier bosses, but for now a pretty dang badass. :)

If that's the spider boss Quelaag you're referring to then you did a hell of a lot better than me. That was one of the harder boss fights for me as a strength build character.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Why does the Iato have much steeper requirements, but less damage than the Uchigatana? Is it just a worse version? Also is it me or is the chaos blade like 3 inches longer (and thus longer attack range) than the Uchigatana, despite them both being the same weapon class.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
It feels weird hearing so many of you guys talk about how hard Queelag was. I ran straight sword and board against her and the worst problem I had was stepping backwards into standing lava like a dope, or having to wait for her to stop sitting around in lava and actually come attack me.

Strafing right up against her and to the right let me avoid nearly every single swing she had in close range and I just wailed on her between those.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Queelag took me 2 tries. The first try, I wasn't aware of her aurora blast attack which one shotted me with almost no startup animation it seemed. Second try I just wailed on her a little less. No biggie.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Megasabin posted:

Why does the Iato have much steeper requirements, but less damage than the Uchigatana? Is it just a worse version? Also is it me or is the chaos blade like 3 inches longer (and thus longer attack range) than the Uchigatana, despite them both being the same weapon class.

Iato is longer.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mayor McCheese posted:

If that's the spider boss Quelaag you're referring to then you did a hell of a lot better than me. That was one of the harder boss fights for me as a strength build character.

That's the one. My character has a low equipment load so I was almost always able to dodge her stuff. I oly needed to heal like 4 times too. I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of this again...I'm sure that will be short lived.

Megasabin posted:

The Iato is what I'm using right and it's fun. It's strong attack has you sheath your sword and then slash forward with it. It's fast and really useful. I'm not sure if it's ultimately better than a stab, but it's cooler.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

sentrygun posted:

It feels weird hearing so many of you guys talk about how hard Queelag was. I ran straight sword and board against her and the worst problem I had was stepping backwards into standing lava like a dope, or having to wait for her to stop sitting around in lava and actually come attack me.

Strafing right up against her and to the right let me avoid nearly every single swing she had in close range and I just wailed on her between those.

It's just a lot of the time she'll just be a complete pain in the rear end and not give you any opportunity to attack. Luckily for me since people have so much of an issue with her it makes farming for Souls and Humanity easy

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The only thing she did that troubled me was her AoE. I thought she was a really fun boss, actually. She had some neat attacks and the lava mechanic of a constantly changing battlefield was awesome.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
That's something I saw when I was summoned freaking 3 of those in a row.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have a lightning zweihander +5 and a divine large club +10. I hope that post-update the latter actually does more damage to skeletons than the former, because that's just silly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
You can only have one covenant at any given time, right?

What if you enter one covenant and then go enter another one? Do the people you used to be with get pissed at you? I entered the first covenant I came across (Way of White) and I want to know what happens if I break it off with them.

Also, is there a list of all the different covenants and the benefits of them?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shumagorath posted:

You might as well have the patch wipe everyone's saves at that point.
Actuall, I could see From doing that.

Fine by me if that's what fixing those problems amounts to. No one should really expect their first character to be optimal anyway and the current system of lit. claymore plus +21 pyromancy plus hollow shield plus 40 end plus a fuckton of vit is way too homogenous for all the possibilities present if scaling was fixed and nonscaling nerfed.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Do divine weapons even do any bonus damage against skeletons? I made my winged spear I had laying around divine because I needed something to complement my lightning spear, but I feel like I was only doing base damage to them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

sentrygun posted:

Do divine weapons even do any bonus damage against skeletons? I made my winged spear I had laying around divine because I needed something to complement my lightning spear, but I feel like I was only doing base damage to them.
I think they do 10% bonus damage.

edit: did anyone work out how much extra damage blunt weapons do to them?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Queelag was starting every fight with a big leap that stunned me followed by vomiting lava. I was horrible at dodging this. It probably didn't help that I was using the heaviest biggest weapons for a fight that requires a lot of side stepping and back peddling.

It was fun but a total pain in the rear end for my weapon speed. The only other fight that gave me as much trouble so far has been Steel Giant's grab attack.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Way of the White suck. The only benefit is some vague thing about better coop matching with other members of the covenant but it's not worth sticking with them for it.

Ditch them for the fireball flinging spider people :black101:

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. Don't know what the point of giving that guy 900 souls to tell me about kindling was, then...

sentrygun posted:

I summoned that half-naked NPC phantom and she kept her distracted for pretty much the entire fight while I two-handed my spear up her egg sac. What's that NPC's deal, anyway? I figured it was a player until they started behaving all AI-like, except I haven't encountered anyone like that in the game.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. Don't know what the point of giving that guy 900 souls to tell me about kindling was, then...

I summoned that half-naked NPC phantom and she kept her distracted for pretty much the entire fight while I two-handed my spear up her egg sac. What's that NPC's deal, anyway? I figured it was a player until they started behaving all AI-like, except I haven't encountered anyone like that in the game.

Before the spiderboss dies, if you're wandering around the swampy bit in flesh form, she'll invade your world. If you beat her, you get a load of soulbucks, humanity, and her cleaver.

sentrygun posted:

If it does bonus damage, it doesn't do very much. The neat thing about divine weapons - or any of the unique weapons with the white-circle looking 'holy' stat - is that skeletons knocked down by them don't reanimate. Skeletons also have really good defense vs. slashing, piercing, fire, and lightning effects, but comparatively lovely vs. blunt, so a spear is not the best thing to use against them.

Also, the 'unholy' black-circle looking effect on occult weapons and a couple of uniques - does it do anything at all to anyone?

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

sentrygun posted:

On that note, the wiki says that divine weapons permanently kill the skeletons in the graveyard and the catacombs. Does this only mean that necromancers can't revive them? Tried killing some and going to the bonfire and they where back at least.
And what is a good weapon to take to +10 divine? I'm thinking mace if skeletons are still weak to blunt like in demon's souls. Any other suggestions? 18 str/25 dex/15 int and faith. Preferably no huge weapons.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

If you're a human, she'll attack you. I had it happen twice when I was summoned as a gold phantom, along the route to Quelaag.

I legitimately didn't realize Iron Tarkus was an NPC until I got his armor. He seemed like an actual person! Unlike on Gaping Dragon or Quelaag where the incompetence of the AI shines through, he sort of seemed like he knew what he was doing. For contrast, the actual player died almost instantly.

On most bosses the NPCs are tanks. From gave them a ton of health/armor to balance the fact that they're normally really, really stupid.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

A Dark Phantom like this exists in almost every area I think. You have to be in human form and then pass by their area to trigger them spawning. She's the easiest since most people will trigger her by walking out of the second bonfire. The only other one I'm aware of that I've triggered myself is Kirk who appears if you're in human form near the waterfall or around the basilisk area in The Depths.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

StringOfLetters posted:

If it does bonus damage, it doesn't do very much. The neat thing about divine weapons - or any of the unique weapons with the white-circle looking 'holy' stat - is that skeletons knocked down by them don't reanimate. Skeletons also have really good defense vs. slashing, piercing, fire, and lightning effects, but comparatively lovely vs. blunt, so a spear is not the best thing to use against them.

Also, the 'unholy' black-circle looking effect on occult weapons and a couple of uniques - does it do anything at all to anyone?

The chaos weapons will scale damage based on your current Humanity. It's a pitiful amount making it just as useful as its counterpart.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

bat duck posted:

On that note, the wiki says that divine weapons permanently kill the skeletons in the graveyard and the catacombs. Does this only mean that necromancers can't revive them? Tried killing some and going to the bonfire and they where back at least.
And what is a good weapon to take to +10 divine? I'm thinking mace if skeletons are still weak to blunt like in demon's souls. Any other suggestions? 18 str/25 dex/15 int and faith. Preferably no huge weapons.

Certain skeletons will get back up after you punch them out rather than staying as piles of bones. These ones stop doing so if you kill the necromancer they're linked to. All skeletons will be alive when you reset at a bonfire.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
How am I supposed to go up in the hollow without warping or using a homeward bone? Just before the two ladders there's a tiny ledge that my guy just will not go over. I've tried rolling and jumping, and this is definitely the way I came down. I don't even want to get back to the bonfire, just a little higher to try getting an item again. Another issue with this area is when you try to get to the ledge that leads to the crystal lizards its really easy to get stuck in the geometry. Had to waste a homeward bone there too.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

StringOfLetters posted:

Skeletons also have really good defense vs. slashing, piercing, fire, and lightning effects, but comparatively lovely vs. blunt, so a spear is not the best thing to use against them.

And they're also weak enough that a backstab from my Lightning Spear will OHKO them anyways. Only reason I even bothered with getting a divine weapon was so that I wouldn't have to deal with those boney shits crawling up my rear end in a top hat while I hunted down their necromancer.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

sentrygun posted:

Certain skeletons will get back up after you punch them out rather than staying as piles of bones. These ones stop doing so if you kill the necromancer they're linked to. All skeletons will be alive when you reset at a bonfire.

That's why I'm wondering what the wiki meant about permanently killing them.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The NPC "Invaders" are found:
  • Before the boss cave in Blighttown
  • The Depths, bottom of the sewers / Demon Ruins after defeating the first boss / Lost Izalith outside boss chamber
  • Tomb of Giants by the gold fog door
  • Painted World of Ariamis, the undead graveyard]

It should be noted that they will not invade if you already cleared that area's boss.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

bat duck posted:

That's why I'm wondering what the wiki meant about permanently killing them.

It's just bad phrasing. Nothing that I'm aware of will keep the skeletons down through bonfire resets, which sucks because they don't drop any souls.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Mayor McCheese posted:

The NPC "Invaders" are found:
  • Before the boss cave in Blighttown
  • The Depths, bottom of the sewers / Demon Ruins after defeating the first boss / Lost Izalith outside boss chamber
  • Tomb of Giants by the gold fog door
  • Painted World of Ariamis, the undead graveyard]

It should be noted that they will not invade if you already cleared that area's boss.

And I think you have to be in human form

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Think of her as an rear end in a top hat player. You beat her so she'll help you, but charges you souls in the process.

She only charges you if she's alive at the end of the fight.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

sentrygun posted:

It's just bad phrasing. Nothing that I'm aware of will keep the skeletons down through bonfire resets, which sucks because they don't drop any souls.

It might mean the ones in the boss room but it specifies catacombs AND tomb of giants, so I dunno.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

bat duck posted:

It might mean the ones in the boss room but it specifies catacombs AND tomb of giants, so I dunno.

I haven't dug into the Tomb yet and I don't remember any assistants during the Pinwheel fight, but maybe there's a ton of those shits breathing down your neck in the Tomb's boss fight that will get back up if you're not using divine weapons.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
gently caress. My roomie got home drunk, started my game, and walked me off a ledge in Blighttown just to gently caress with me. Goodbye to 10K souls and 2 Humanity.

The sad thing is I can't figure out how to get back down from the bonfire. I can obviously go down the ladder and across the shifting bridge thing but can't remember where to go from there. Is there a ladder I'm missing or something?

edit to correct misremembered area name.

Tyro fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

keyframe posted:

gently caress the fog ring. What a loving retarded idea. It absolutely ruins PvP gameplay.

I don't mind that they're nearly invisible, or that you can't lock on to them. I don't particularly find manually attacking things hard, and in fact, relying on lock-on can get you killed in many situations where not having to lock-on could save your life. For example, in any case where you need to be able to sprint or roll away quickly without 'strafing' the target. I also find it easier to roll to someone's back when not locked on, as otherwise it tends to roll me straight into their face.

What I really hate though, is that the fog ring effectively nullifies half the magic in the game. gently caress that.

Tyro posted:

gently caress. My roomie got home drunk, started my game, and walked me off a ledge in the Depths just to gently caress with me. Goodbye to 10K souls and 2 Humanity.

The sad thing is I can't figure out how to get back down from the bonfire. I can obviously go down the ladder and across the shifting bridge thing but can't remember where to go from there. Is there a ladder I'm missing or something?

You're at the bonfire. Go straight out, kill the hollowed guy with the fire, go out a little bit and turn right into the room, not the hallway.

In the room, go down the stairs, there should be a caged area to your left, where the giant rat was - roll into the boxes in the far left corner and go down that ladder.

Passed the ladder, you go straight out of the room, down the set of stairs (maybe a ramp?) into a big room where you find Domnhall the merchant, as well as the entrance to blighttown.
Before you get to the half of the room with Domnhall, turn right, there's a big set of stairs "protected" by a rat, and those will take you straight to the boss room.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 17, 2011

• Locked thread