Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

jackofarcades posted:

I shot Fantastic in the loving face, then carried his head throughout the Helios One compound. Fittingly, nobody batted an eye.

You are a loving MONSTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

YOURFRIEND posted:

You are a loving MONSTER

Yeah, yeah, but next time you get to HELIOS One you're doing the same thing.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Now.... Clearly through no error of my own... I may have taken the gang on a small vegas vacation...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

In Freeside I like to throw heads into the garbage can fire pits and mailboxes and poo poo.

I mean, god drat those thugs never stop, maybe being a little sadistic here will scare them off but nope.

It just gets drat hilarious when you get into post mid level gear and you see these skinny dweebs in crudely stitched leather overalls and a crappy cap try and take on some huge guy in power armour wielding a machine gun with just a lead pipe.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I noticed something weird. I crash a bit, but I've gotten used to it. But when I enter caves, the game skips. It runs pretty smoothly everywhere except for in caves, for some reason. :iiam:

Also even though I love ed-e...I find Rex cute :3:

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Kharmakazy posted:

Now.... Clearly through no error of my own... I may have taken the gang on a small vegas vacation...

WHY! Repair Eyebot was 4 months sober! Now he'll relapse and his wife will leave him because of his Vegas antics. :saddowns:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

It just gets drat hilarious when you get into post mid level gear and you see these skinny dweebs in crudely stitched leather overalls and a crappy cap try and take on some huge guy in power armour wielding a machine gun with just a lead pipe.

I've noticed that followers seem to kill the thugs before I can get a shot on them. Kinda dampens the fun of trying to use overpowered weapons on them when Veronica punched him out before you could see him.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

closeted republican posted:

I've noticed that followers seem to kill the thugs before I can get a shot on them. Kinda dampens the fun of trying to use overpowered weapons on them when Veronica punched him out before you could see him.

I don't know about you but the last time the city tried to come to my defense it wound up being a random King and the crier for the Silver rush plinking away with a 9mm and a plasma pistol respectively. The crier got within 3 feet of the guy firing at least 5 or 6 shots everywhere but the thug and stopped to reload before I decided to put the thug out of his misery just to save the idiots some ammo.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Bash Ironfist posted:

I noticed something weird. I crash a bit, but I've gotten used to it. But when I enter caves, the game skips. It runs pretty smoothly everywhere except for in caves, for some reason. :iiam:

Also even though I love ed-e...I find Rex cute :3:
I crash like there's no tomorrow.
Most of the time the launcher crashes, or the game "loads" forever. Sometimes I just crash to desktop for no apparent reason.

Whatever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

YOURFRIEND posted:

You are a loving MONSTER

Alas, poor Fantastic. He had the whole NCR suckling his teats, and it felt sooooo gooood~ :smith:

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.
I can never build a character I'm happy with. I'm in the middle of Old World Blues right now and it just isn't clicking. I'm max speech and guns and lockpicking. I don't have enough ammo for That Gun and the robots just shrug it off. I'm level 16 and the wasps and deathclaws cut through me like I don't exist. Once I lost my companions I realize how much I depended on them.

I had fun with melee + explosives (ultraviolence) but I hate getting picked off by people half way across the map with carbines. I like energy weapons but I hate how they melt people.

Is perception worth boosting? Agility? I think I always end up with the same SPECIAL load out and I'm looking to make a character I can stick with and hit the level cap.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

TiCK posted:

I can never build a character I'm happy with. I'm in the middle of Old World Blues right now and it just isn't clicking. I'm max speech and guns and lockpicking. I don't have enough ammo for That Gun and the robots just shrug it off. I'm level 16 and the wasps and deathclaws cut through me like I don't exist. Once I lost my companions I realize how much I depended on them.

I had fun with melee + explosives (ultraviolence) but I hate getting picked off by people half way across the map with carbines. I like energy weapons but I hate how they melt people.

Is perception worth boosting? Agility? I think I always end up with the same SPECIAL load out and I'm looking to make a character I can stick with and hit the level cap.

For skills you want intelligence. You will get more skill points out of a high int than a related SPECIAL. Guns are great. That Gun isn't very strong because it's a 5mm. If you have Honest Hearts you should play that first and get A Light Shining in the Darkness. It absolutely owns. The perk you want for guns is Hand Loader almost above all. You can mash together your own P+, Super and other kinds of crazy bullets using ammo you find lying around that is a similar caliber. It's really good at higher levels knowing that after a bit of adventuring you can get to a bench and hammer out 200 rounds of .45AP Super using all the junk ammo you collected on your travels.

My guy is high level, so I'm skilled at just about everything, but he started mainly unarmed/guns. Unarmed will rock heavy armour when you get the perk to ignore 10DT and lets you flippantly destroy heavy armoured targets (with your hands no less). You can get Pushy from a cave near Jacobstown really easily (bar a couple of Cazadores on the way to the mine) and that thing will punch a hole in anything.

Also, get yourself This Machine.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

That Gun isn't very strong because it's a 5mm. If you have Honest Hearts you should play that first and get A Light Shining in the Darkness.
A few points:

1. That Gun uses 5.56mm ammo, not 5mm.
2. That Gun is a revolver.
3. A Light Shining In Darkness isn't a revolver.
4. What's wrong with you, FO:NV is basically a Western, use a revolver. Lever-action shotguns are also permissible.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
This is I think my 3rd time playing through, and for my money it is hard to beat the fun of Explosives. I decided to pair them with Unarmed (for close quarters) and Repair to pick up the new Mad Bomber perk in GRA. The MFC grenades are fantastically useful and cheap for early on, and have a good radius. Overall the combo of melee and explosives has made for a much more player-skill heavy game, but timing those bombs just right is really rewarding. This is also my first Hardcore run, and I don't think I could go back to non-HC now, it just adds some nice challenges without feeling like a hassle.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Strudel Man posted:

A few points:

1. That Gun uses 5.56mm ammo, not 5mm.
2. That Gun is a revolver.
3. A Light Shining In Darkness isn't a revolver.
4. What's wrong with you, FO:NV is basically a Western, use a revolver. Lever-action shotguns are also permissible.

A Light Shining in the Darkness is better than two revolvers (which should be possible).

Sorry for saying the wrong ammo type. I don't use That Gun because it's a piece of poo poo. Ranger Sequoia on the other hand, you can respectably fire that thing at people.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

A Light Shining in the Darkness is better than two revolvers (which should be possible).

Sorry for saying the wrong ammo type. I don't use That Gun because it's a piece of poo poo. Ranger Sequoia on the other hand, you can respectably fire that thing at people.
Fact: That Gun has a critical multiplier of 2.5, .5 higher than your precious deagle.
Fact: That Gun has a minimum spread of .5, making it more accurate than A Jerk Shining In Badness, which has .55.
Fact: That Gun has a base damage per shot of 30 - while this is admittedly ~10% less than ALSID's 33, that totally doesn't matter because it's that gun from Blade Runner.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I figured out I like energy weapons. Yeah, there aren't as many varieties, and that gets a bit boring. But they're fun to play, something about turning dudes into ash/goo just entertains the poo poo out of me. Plus being able to recycle ammo with a high science skill is useful as poo poo. The damaging corona is really good in some situations, a pain in the rear end in close areas though, like vaults.

How do you guys take screenshots of your characters like that? Is there a free-cam command?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

If you hold f (or whatever you rebound the third person key to) down, you can rotate the camera around your character and zoom in and out. It's kind of awkward and if you're trying to take pictures of your guy ironsighting a gun with a scope it doesn't work.

Also rope kid has repeatedly that the allure of That Gun when it was weaker, and even now, was that it used the cheap and plentiful 5.56 ammunition, with its many cheap and plentiful varieties.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 17, 2011

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Strudel Man posted:

Fact: That Gun has a critical multiplier of 2.5, .5 higher than your precious deagle.
Fact: That Gun has a minimum spread of .5, making it more accurate than A Jerk Shining In Badness, which has .55.
Fact: That Gun has a base damage per shot of 30 - while this is admittedly ~10% less than ALSID's 33, that totally doesn't matter because it's that gun from Blade Runner.

Mostly I've just used too many 1911's in video games to give a poo poo about a compact one with some goofy engravings on the side. That Gun, on the other hand, is a one-of-a-kind firearm, obviously made with love and skill. :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

YOURFRIEND posted:

I personally use vats because seeing people's heads explode/pop off in slow motion never gets old.

The "no poo poo" combat messages are my favorites.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
In Vanilla NV I would say, pound for pound, the best real gun are Brush Guns when combined with the Cowboy Perk for boosted damage.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Brush_gun

There is a unique version as well in GR:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Medicine_Stick

With the advent of the Grunt Perk though things change.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Grunt

Obviously ALSID is made even more lewdly powerful, but even more nostalgic weapons like Maria from Benny get a nice new lease on usefulness.

Unfortunately for the Grunt Perk, the GR weapons don't count due to coding issues.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 31, 2017

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

50 Foot Ant posted:

If you're have a lot of CDT's, go to the Nexus and download the new crash-fixes. I did, and it solves a LOT of problems, especially in the Lonesome Road.

One of my friends crashed about every 10 minutes, after taking at least twice to get out of the loader. He used it, and BAM, everything works golden.

Another one to take a look at is the 4MB loader. It really helps too.
Can you link this? The only thing I could find on nexus related to crash fixes was a small bugfix for LR. I already use the 4GB loader but I would be very interested in something that made me crash less.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 31, 2017

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Also, don't forget to use FNVEdit to merge patch things up nicely, as well as BOSS auto-sort mod order.

In addition, a lot of crashes seem to be auto-save related. Turning them off usually prevents a ton.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bash Ironfist posted:

I figured out I like energy weapons. Yeah, there aren't as many varieties, and that gets a bit boring. But they're fun to play, something about turning dudes into ash/goo just entertains the poo poo out of me. Plus being able to recycle ammo with a high science skill is useful as poo poo. The damaging corona is really good in some situations, a pain in the rear end in close areas though, like vaults.

How do you guys take screenshots of your characters like that? Is there a free-cam command?

I think they're a lot better when you reach the best Energy Weapons. There's a world of difference between tickling someone to death with a Laser/Plasma Pistol/Rifle and blowing people away with a huge orange Tesla Cannon. I was thinking about canceling my Energy Weapons run, but as soon as I got my first high-end Energy Weapon, it became much more fun.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Berk Berkly posted:

In Vanilla NV I would say, pound for pound, the best real gun are Brush Guns when combined with the Cowboy Perk for boosted damage.

There is a unique version as well in GR:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Medicine_Stick

With the advent of the Grunt Perk though things change.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Grunt

Obviously ALSID is made even more lewdly powerful, but even more nostalgic weapons like Maria from Benny get a nice new lease on usefulness.

Unfortunately for the Grunt Perk, the GR weapons don't count due to coding issues.

Of course there are many mods that fix the GRA and Grunt issues

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

that totally doesn't matter because it's that gun from Blade Runner.

This is really the only argument you need for why you should use That Gun and never switch away from it.

I still would like it more if I could kill everything with it.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
edit; nevermind, late to the party

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Signature That Gun.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Recently, I've had two dreams involving Fallout. In the first one, from last week, I found Ulysses' tax return on my desk at work, and I read it, to see if he put "courier" or "frumentari" as his profession. He actually had "domestic terrorist".

In the second, my mom got lost on a recent trip to Las Vegas (she did recently go there) and my wife and I went looking for her. There was a fireworks show going on at Cottonwood Cove that we could see from south of Primm, and when we got to Nipton (which was no longer depopulated) I was looking for a payphone to call home and get somebody to come pick us up when I found her in a diner being run by Ruby Nash. I asked her if she tried Ruby's casserole, and she said it was too expensive, and I said "Of course, it's made with radscorpion glands!" and then I woke up.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I rather like the Li'l Devil as my pistol of choice now. What since it's the best one DPS wise.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 31, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I enjoy that gun simply for that rear end kicking whirrrrr reloading sound when you slip in some new ammo.

Also, it properly rocks when it is modded to take .223 bullets.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Berk Berkly posted:

I wandered through most of a game (up to OWB) with a Varmint Rifle + Night scope and a 10mm pistol. That rifle shot me a lotta fiends :toot:.

edit: fan fiction weapons in wikia :allears:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Good lord look at all those mods.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Just finished Honest Hearts. Actually finished it three times: once doing things Daniel's way, once Joshua's and letting him execute Salt-Upon-Wounds, and once talking him out of it. In the end I stuck with the first ending I got. It's not perfect, but Daniel, arrogant as he is, kind of has some good points in there. I liked the dramatic branching at the endgame depending on which route you go, that was nice. Enjoyed it a lot overall, the length is my only criticism.

And... now I'm all done :smith:

e: I skipped over all the HH ending discussion from like 15 pages ago 'cause I didn't want spoilers, now reading it I'm glad I skipped it and made my own decision. Yeah I went back and saw two other endings, but I'm pretty happy with deciding to side with Daniel. But anyway thanks to all involved in that chat, it was really interesting to read :)

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 17, 2011

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I just finished Honest Hearts too. Kind of... short? But I didn't do all the exploration I could have. I went to the wiki to just get the full backstory on The Father in the Cave (having only found a couple of them) and that was really cool.

Off to OWB!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

jackofarcades posted:

I just finished Honest Hearts too. Kind of... short? But I didn't do all the exploration I could have. I went to the wiki to just get the full backstory on The Father in the Cave (having only found a couple of them) and that was really cool.

The last Survivalist entry hit me really, really hard. I teared up :smith: That whole thing was awesome, and now I have his rifle and it is amazing.

The whole DLC has made me think, which is more than I can say for Dead Money, so on the whole I rank it above DM and LR, but a little below OWB. If it was a bit longer it might have got number 1. Some of the quests fell a bit flat for me, the ones I liked best were actually the companion quests, especially Waking Cloud. The Yao Guai cave was great too, really creeped me out with the noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

50 Foot Ant posted:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=44204

That's the one. I played for almost 3 hours straight, not a single crash, and I've got all kinds of goofy mods loaded up.

Nice, been crashing. Although I can't use the options because I don't have dead money. Should I choose 'no dlc?' I have HH, LR, OWB, and GRA. Just not DM.