Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Girls can totally wear dinosaurs and monkeys and super heroes too!

For maternity coats, I would just wear my regular coat and wear more layers or warmer sweaters. Are you outside that much that it would make a difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!

Sarsaparilla posted:

I guess I was kind of opposite with the gender. My boyfriend and I were both pretty excited about little boy clothes. When we found out it was going to be a girl, I was disappointed to find everything had hello kitty and butterflies and flowers (dinosaurs and monkeys and superheros are SO much cooler!) Right now we're focusing on a fairly pink-less nursery/baby stuff, a difficult task to undertake - let me tell you!

I live in Chicago and my due date is in late January and I've quickly gone from a size small to a size "small+smuggling basketball." Anybody else having trouble with maternity winter coats? I don't want to spend 100+ for something I'll wear for a month or two, tops.

I'm due January 30, and I cannot find anything fairly inexpensive either :(

I already tried my puffy coat and my nice peacoat and neither of them come close to closing.

I found a couple that weren't ridiculously dumpy or rainbow bright-ish and they were all $100+

If anyone has any ideas I would be thrilled as well

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

There's a store in the Chicago suburbs called From My Room, I think it's in Naperville, that has gently used secondhand clothes and maternity clothes. And I'm talking some nice stuff. I've seen some ritzy labels in there for maternity clothes. See if you can find a coat there.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I guess I'm very lucky in that we have the only stores around that have decent baby clothes, or I just have lovely taste and don't hate Carter's stuff. Since we didn't find out the sex until birth, we got a lot of ducks and frogs and things and the baby is cute in everything. We like dogs and have a bunch of dog printed stuff, and did the nursery in farm animals, with primary colors and no pink.

The babies don't care what they're wearing, and I don't care much either as long as it's not a pain in the rear end to dress them in it. The baby can sense when something clean is going on and will immediately barf or poo poo through the diaper.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Haha, I got a Jack-O-Lantern bib and my due date is 10/30. Not nearly as bad as the Christmas dress for a post-Christmas due date, but I still probably won't be able to use it.

I'm obviously exaggerating about the tacky baby clothes; there are some things out there that are plain and cute and don't cost a fortune. But it would be nice to find a guitar-print onesie that doesn't say "Mama's Cute 'Lil Rock and Roll Stud" or whatever bullshit they insist on putting on there. Babies don't need clothing announcing that they are cute. We already know. (They especially don't need clothing stating that they are sports heroes or princesses or future firefighters, for that matter. THEY ARE BABIES.)

I'm so glad I get to bypass the winter coat issue. I don't envy you guys; a quick search shows that there really isn't much out there. Ebay, Target, Motherhood Maternity? Or I guess you could always just get a $100 coat and mentally break it down to cost-per-wear - if you wear it every day for 3 months, it might be worth the money.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I had all these awesome plans for my baby's nursery and wardrobe, and how we weren't going to do the standard boys = blue bullshit. But I love in a freaking retail wasteland (Quebec), and I can't find a drat thing that isn't blue or pink, or ridiculously overpriced for the quality. I can't even do any decent online shopping without getting screwed on prices and/or import duties. It's bugging me that all the stuff we've been able to get so far looks so drat generic. At least my baby carriers are unusual and reflect my style.

Anybody else planning on baby wearing? So far I've got two woven wraps and a mei tai.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010
I planned on it, and got five different styles of carriers. Then I tried doing it and she screamed bloody murder nonstop in all but the crotch dangler, that she would tolerate for twenty minutes or so for about two weeks, after that is was back to screaming bloody murder. It was comfortable to wear the carriers at least :(

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

MoCookies posted:

I had all these awesome plans for my baby's nursery and wardrobe, and how we weren't going to do the standard boys = blue bullshit. But I love in a freaking retail wasteland (Quebec), and I can't find a drat thing that isn't blue or pink, or ridiculously overpriced for the quality. I can't even do any decent online shopping without getting screwed on prices and/or import duties. It's bugging me that all the stuff we've been able to get so far looks so drat generic. At least my baby carriers are unusual and reflect my style.

Anybody else planning on baby wearing? So far I've got two woven wraps and a mei tai.

If you have access to a sewing machine and a fabric store, it is pretty easy to make your own crib sheets and blankets. I'm very new to sewing and have made a couple of blankets and burp rags, and have bought fabric to make crib sheets and other things. Most of my projects only need me to sew in straight lines (which does take practice). You don't need to buy patterns - there are lots of tutorials/patterns online. But making baby clothes is more complicated - my mom helped me make one outfit and I got pretty frustrated.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

Anybody else having trouble with maternity winter coats? I don't want to spend 100+ for something I'll wear for a month or two, tops.

I was pregnant through Ontario winter, so I found a nice new Gap maternity coat on eBay for like $75 and wore it every day. I actually like the style of it better than my non-maternity coat! My daughter was born in April, and she's a big kid (18.5+ lbs at 6 mos) and I can still zip up my maternity coat around her when I'm wearing her in the wrap. So you might be able to squeeze two winters into the coat! I like mine so much that I'm planning to get it taken in by a seamstress when I can't use it for babywearing anymore. I ended up going with some cheap used maternity jeans and camis, some non-maternity yoga pants/long johns in a size up from my regular size, and a nice hoodie and coat - and it worked well for me. Whenever I was out of the house, all that really "showed" was the nice coat and not my frumpy layers of cheap clothes underneath.

MoCookies, we live in rural Ontario and faced the same dilemma with baby clothes. I ended up finding some secondhand stuff on kijiji that was in great shape! It required some planning because I had to drive to the nearest city to meet up with the sellers, but I saved a ton of money and got to "shop" the ads online so I knew what I was getting - less stressful than shopping in brick-and-mortar stores, imo. As for babywearing, we got a pouch sling(not adjustable, meh), snugli(crotch dangler, not a good carrier), ring sling (fast to put on and off but puts baby's weight mostly on one shoulder), and woven wrap(bit of a learning curve but versatile and comfortable for me and my husband). My SIL isn't into a lot of the same parenting stuff I am and I never preached babywearing to her, but after seeing me with Julia in the wrap several times she asked me if I could help her find one. Now we wrap our girls up together all the time :shobon:

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Girls can totally wear dinosaurs and monkeys and super heroes too!

For maternity coats, I would just wear my regular coat and wear more layers or warmer sweaters. Are you outside that much that it would make a difference?

I can't stress this enough. Just because you have a girl doesn't mean you're restricted to pink clothes. No one is going to call the CPS on you. I've got plenty of dinosaurs and batman clothes for my girl. I even have a skull and cross bone sweatshirt. It's totally up to you what you put your kid in so don't fret over it. Most of the time it didn't matter because Nat spit up constantly until she was 6 mo old so she always wore huge bib over whatever she was wearing. It got to the point that it didn't matter if it was a halloween pumpkin in April as long as it was clean.

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
me gusta besar el pollo desnudo!!
I was pregnant over the Chicago winter! It's...pretty awful, haha. Stay indoors a lot. When I was pregnant (and even now still,but less so) I was super sensitive to temperature so the cold was even worse.

I'm cheap and was pretty broke at the time, so I just bought an oversized peacoat at Kmart for $20 bucks. At the very end of the pregnancy, I couldn't button it all the way but I was layering a ton so it didn't matter. I used it for babywearing the next winter so I really got my mileage out of those 20bucks.

Make sure you have boots with good traction too!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Girl clothes are awesome you're all insane. I hate anything with words on it though. Anything stating that you are Daddy's or Mommy's Lil' Buttface or whatever, yuck I hate that stuff.

Oracle posted:

There's a store in the Chicago suburbs called From My Room, I think it's in Naperville, that has gently used secondhand clothes and maternity clothes. And I'm talking some nice stuff. I've seen some ritzy labels in there for maternity clothes. See if you can find a coat there.

Naperville is a schlep from Chicago, like an hour or so depending on where you are. I am in Rogers Park so that would easily take me 1.5 hours in typical traffic. I would just get an XL coat from a Marshalls or something, or you could check out thrift stores, I've found amazing stuff. If you love thrifting and digging through poo poo, go now. That is one of the very few things that is actually a million times harder to do with a baby oh man do children hate thrift stores. It is my greatest joy to have someone watching my kid so I can spend 3 hours digging through poo poo in Salvation Army now.

Moms Stuffing fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 17, 2011

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I hate how gender-specific baby clothes have become. I found out today I'm having a boy, but until now have really struggled to find anything neutral. It's strange because I live in the UK where it's not as common to find out the sex of your baby. Most of the gender netural stuff is pretty tacky too. It's either slogans "50% Mummy, 50% Daddy" or branded stuff like Winnie the Pooh or Disney.

As for maternity coats, I'm going to look for one of those cape styles. I have seen plenty of cheaper non-maternity ones, but they still have plenty of belly room. It should also cover my post baby belly quite well.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh that's right, ponchos are huge right now. And would work swimmingly.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

dreamcatcherkwe is right. Girls look cool in dinosaurs:

There was a goon who was told she was having a girl so they had a lot of girl-y colored clothes. Welp, she had a boy and he still looked adorable in the pink clothes. :colbert:

Maternity coat: Check out Old Navy. Some of the larger stores carry maternity clothes. I'd personally just go for a larger coat.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Moms Stuffing posted:

Girl clothes are awesome you're all insane. I hate anything with words on it though. Anything stating that you are Daddy's or Mommy's Lil' Buttface or whatever, yuck I hate that stuff.

See, what you posted is way more tolerable than all the sparkly princess crap people have been giving us. We LOVE dinosaurs and luckily my mom has gone out of her way to buy us some dino things. Though honestly if there was a onesie that said "Mommy's Lil' Buttface," I'd probably slap it on her just to see what Christmas dinner reactions would be :D.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Are there any nursing covers with the wire necklines that aren't really hot for the baby?

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
A friend just posted a pic of his baby boy wearing a RUN-DMC onesie, denim overalls with one strap down and a red knit beanie hat. Now I definitely need to get something more stylish than hand-me-down baby gowns with doggies on them.

MoCookies posted:

I do! And have a ton of baby carriers. I think I have 2 Mobys, 4 slings, an Ergo, a Bjorn and a ring sling. These were all gifts or hand-me-downs (I did register for the Bjorn). I don't know where or how I'm going to use all these things. Another example of being overloaded with stuff I didn't pick out, but hopefully a lot of it will be useful. I like some of the styles, too.

Late Pregnancy Symptom Nobody Told Me About of the Day: lightning crotch. Sudden, momentary sharp pain in your junk that feels like an electric shock, probably a result of the baby's head being very low down and banging against nerves. Occurs when standing up, shifting position, walking or randomly during baby movement. (Also, I guess I didn't fully realize that I really would have to pee every 30 minutes after the baby dropped.)

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

The Young Marge posted:

I do! And have a ton of baby carriers. I think I have 2 Mobys, 4 slings, an Ergo, a Bjorn and a ring sling. These were all gifts or hand-me-downs (I did register for the Bjorn). I don't know where or how I'm going to use all these things. Another example of being overloaded with stuff I didn't pick out, but hopefully a lot of it will be useful. I like some of the styles, too.

Late Pregnancy Symptom Nobody Told Me About of the Day: lightning crotch. Sudden, momentary sharp pain in your junk that feels like an electric shock, probably a result of the baby's head being very low down and banging against nerves. Occurs when standing up, shifting position, walking or randomly during baby movement. (Also, I guess I didn't fully realize that I really would have to pee every 30 minutes after the baby dropped.)

I'm jealous! So many of my friends and family think the whole baby-wearing thing is nuts. You should check out the forums at thebabywearer.com. It's been invaluable for learning about the various carriers' pros and cons, and they've got a busy for sale or trade forum. Its a good place to sell the carriers that you've decided you don't need or like. (They're not big fans of the Bjorn, though.)

I'm also having some unpleasant sensations in the crotchal region. I can't seem to get comfortable in any type of chair; it's like everything feels "smushed" the whole time I'm sitting down, and there's nothing I can do about it. Ugh. And while I'm whining about pregnancy - I miss my old boobs. These things look like they belong to someone else; a someone else with distinctly less sexy-looking boobs. I'm shocked and amazed my husband finds all of this sexy. My belly is kinda cool looking and fun to play with, but I'm not feeling the sexy lately.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

MoCookies posted:

I'm shocked and amazed my husband finds all of this sexy. My belly is kinda cool looking and fun to play with, but I'm not feeling the sexy lately.

Enjoy it. Based on our lack of sex over the last several months and the failure of an attempt made this morning, I'm pretty sure my husband finds me repulsive.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

You know, I plan on baby wearing this, and any future kids. I'm going to just get a bigger cheap coat (definitely checking for the $20 Kmart peacoat!!!) so I can close it over the baby.

Thanks!

In other news, after the past month of bitching to myself I finally admitted to my midwife how much effin pain I am in and she talks to me about Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction. So yeah... Off to find a belly band of some kind. Anyone have a favorite for dealing with this ridiculous level of pain and inability to walk?

My belly looks like a soccer ball... I cannot imagine how bad this will hurt as I go through trimester 3.

I've also started peeing myself if I laugh too hard or sneeze or cough unless I have literally JUST PEED.

So off to buy something for that lovely problem as well.

You know, all of my parent friends talked about how lovely and amazing and pretty and magical pregnancy was while we were trying.. Now that I am, I get gleeful stories of pain and discharge and all kinds of fun stuff. I find it hard to believe that I will miss being pregnant like everyone says I will!

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

limegrnxj posted:

Enjoy it. Based on our lack of sex over the last several months and the failure of an attempt made this morning, I'm pretty sure my husband finds me repulsive.

Yeah this. Our last attempt was so incredibly awkward with my 9 month pregnant belly and wrecked pelvis ruling out 99% of positions - It was at least five minutes of "you go this way. now I'll go this way-no, ow, go back-wait, try this-gently caress!" before the sexing could even begin.

Seconding the Old Navy suggestion for maternity coats - I don't think they have anything super heavy, but I did get a lightweight maternity coat from them that I love and wear with everything.

Edit to respond to this:

Doom Catcher posted:

In other news, after the past month of bitching to myself I finally admitted to my midwife how much effin pain I am in and she talks to me about Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction. So yeah... Off to find a belly band of some kind. Anyone have a favorite for dealing with this ridiculous level of pain and inability to walk?

I actually went to the hospital for this recently, after I burst into tears trying to get out of the car and it freaked my poor husband out. My pelvis feels literally split in half - It is some of the worst pain I've ever felt. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much you can do about it other than the support belts, which I hate to say, I haven't found very helpful. When it was a milder case, I found relief with warm baths and limiting my activity, but as it got more severe nothing really worked. I've heard that it's good to try to keep your knees together when you change position in bed or get up and down from the couch and stuff, as anything that separates your knees will put extra pressure on your pelvic joints. Also doing light pelvic exercises can help tone everything up and give you a bit more stability. I just toned my activity waaayyyy down and spent several days being a bit of a couch potato because it hurt too much to do anything else. Eventually it did start to ease up, slightly, and now I can manage to walk around and do light housework without the excruciating pain I was experiencing. Sorry dude :( I know how badly it sucks.

yawnie fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 17, 2011

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Boy clothes don't have to be boring

Your boy can be stylish just like mine :cool:

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Doom Catcher posted:

Wonder if this is what I have. I tell my docs about my pain and ask if there's anything I can do about it, and they pretty much say "no, it's just going to get worse."

I sleep in a recliner; that helps some. I bought one of these, and it helps some with being able to walk. Rolling around and doing pelvic tilts on an exercise ball helps. If you have access to a pool or a really deep bathtub, floating might help; my tub sucks and I can't sit in it without pain, but a nice warm shower spray aimed at my back and hips helps. Backrubs don't help me, but sitting on one of those vibrating chair-covers does. Be sure to stretch a little every time you get out of your chair. I have to stand up and just wait a minute until my hips are straightened out.

And here's one more really weird thing that feels AMAZING: My husband was being goofy one night and just started to drum on my butt with his fists and I don't know why but it feels SO GOOD. The pain just melted away. Now I make him do it every night, I get pain relief and he gets an arm workout :v:

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

yawnie posted:

Helpful Words

Thank you. She pretty much told me everything you just said, and told me to try a cheaper band first.

It really does suck and now I feel kind of validated since everyone offline has made me feel like a big whiny baby. But dude, yea it feels like someone kicked me in the pelvis and bruised it.

We just moved this weekend, and while most of my participation involved ordering everyone around I am still sore and have been laying around all day long. Ow ow ow.

On the plus... The other half finally got it through his skull that this is A Thing and not me exaggerating, and is spoiling me today.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Doom Catcher posted:

You know, all of my parent friends talked about how lovely and amazing and pretty and magical pregnancy was while we were trying.. Now that I am, I get gleeful stories of pain and discharge and all kinds of fun stuff. I find it hard to believe that I will miss being pregnant like everyone says I will!

This is exactly why I'm documenting all of my bullshit with a friend who is writing a book about all of the things they don't tell you before you get pregnant. We're compiling from a group of moms, its her book but I'm totally 100% supportive of it. Not that I wouldn't have gotten pregnant had I known, but I think knowing the possibilities of swampass vagina and the likes would have been easier to take if I knew they were on the horizon.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

yawnie posted:

Yeah this. Our last attempt was so incredibly awkward with my 9 month pregnant belly and wrecked pelvis ruling out 99% of positions - It was at least five minutes of "you go this way. now I'll go this way-no, ow, go back-wait, try this-gently caress!" before the sexing could even begin.

At least he wanted to have sex with you. My already suffering self esteem took a nosedive when it became obvious that position was not the problem. :( Pity party over here.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Bahunter22 posted:

This is exactly why I'm documenting all of my bullshit with a friend who is writing a book about all of the things they don't tell you before you get pregnant. We're compiling from a group of moms, its her book but I'm totally 100% supportive of it. Not that I wouldn't have gotten pregnant had I known, but I think knowing the possibilities of swampass vagina and the likes would have been easier to take if I knew they were on the horizon.

I think all the people who think pregnancy is awesome and magical have all given birth so long ago that they've forgotten all the bad and barely remember all the good parts, so they candy coat it.

Me, I'm having a hard time thinking of ANY good parts. But I'm very much a "pregnancy is only a (long, painful and annoying) means to an end" type of person.

And yeah, sex with the husband... I try, but most of the time it's like "oh god not too deep not too deep don't hit the cervix ahhhhhhhh" and not very fun. The couple times he has banged into it I've ended up with cramps up the wazoo afterwards.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Bahunter22 posted:

I wish I'd known about half the poo poo that's been happening to my body this pregnancy beforehand. It would have been nice to know, for example, that round ligament pain is normal and common and that I am probably not miscarrying every time I get a weird sensation in my abdomen. It would have also been nice to know that I'd be spending nine months constipated from the iron in my prenatals except for random third trimester episodes of diarrhea! They need to teach this sort of thing in sex ed classes. I bet teen pregnancy rates would drop like a rock.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Lyz posted:

I think all the people who think pregnancy is awesome and magical have all given birth so long ago that they've forgotten all the bad and barely remember all the good parts, so they candy coat it.

Me, I'm having a hard time thinking of ANY good parts. But I'm very much a "pregnancy is only a (long, painful and annoying) means to an end" type of person.

And yeah, sex with the husband... I try, but most of the time it's like "oh god not too deep not too deep don't hit the cervix ahhhhhhhh" and not very fun. The couple times he has banged into it I've ended up with cramps up the wazoo afterwards.

Some of us do actually enjoy pregnancy. I gave birth less than two years ago and I loved being pregnant, even when I was nauseous and even when I had SPD. Sorry, I guess I'm just a weirdo.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

limegrnxj posted:

At least he wanted to have sex with you. My already suffering self esteem took a nosedive when it became obvious that position was not the problem. :( Pity party over here.

I had that problem too, it made me feel like crap what with being fairly insecure anyway and a bundle of insane hormones at the time.

After Connor was born my partner seemed to get doubly horny to make up for lost time. It's pretty bad to admit but I quite enjoyed telling him I was too tired and not in the mood.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I didn't hate being pregnant. I loved the excitement leading up to her being born. The physical stuff sucked but honestly it's mostly a blur now. I don't think it's magical, but it's pretty loving cool to grow a tiny human inside you. I loved feeling her kick and watching her stick her butt out. :3

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Pregnancy sucked.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
Truth. Pregnancy really, really sucked. I am dreading doing it again.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I'm 38 weeks, so at the height of the pregnancy suckage, and I still don't hate it. I've had just about everything you could imagine go wrong during it, and I've hated how I felt at times, but I really can't say I've ever hated being pregnant - It's just too awesome, to me, the feeling that I've grown a little person, and he can even respond to outside stimulation and stuff. Seeing how my body has changed, however unattractive and gross at times, is also pretty loving cool. I would enjoy a book that talks about the things no one really tells you about (pregnancy induced carpal tunnel, anyone?), but not if it was from the standpoint of "you're going to hate pregnancy because it's awful".

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

yawnie posted:

I'm 38 weeks, so at the height of the pregnancy suckage, and I still don't hate it. I've had just about everything you could imagine go wrong during it, and I've hated how I felt at times, but I really can't say I've ever hated being pregnant - It's just too awesome, to me, the feeling that I've grown a little person, and he can even respond to outside stimulation and stuff. Seeing how my body has changed, however unattractive and gross at times, is also pretty loving cool. I would enjoy a book that talks about the things no one really tells you about (pregnancy induced carpal tunnel, anyone?), but not if it was from the standpoint of "you're going to hate pregnancy because it's awful".

Yes, exactly. Even when I was in constant pain from SPD that never went away, even when I couldn't sleep more than an hour without needing to turn over or pee or whatever, even when heartburn seemed like it was eating me from the inside out, I didn't hate pregnancy. It was too loving awesome to know that I was growing my daughter. I didn't have that, "okay I am done with pregnancy" feeling until the week before I delivered.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I'm struggling with some feelings right now and I'd really like to know if I'm being stupid or not.

The problem is people giving me things. My best friend is giving me a bunch of her old baby clothes. She's had three boys and so has plenty to give. But she also bought me some things from a yard sale in her neighborhood. A swing thing, a vibrating bouncy chair, and a bathtime baby washer thing. They all looked a bit ratty and weren't anything all in the style I would want to get. I told her thank you of course, and I'm going to take all of it, but it really started getting me down.

Then another friend messaged me out of nowhere and said she had stuff for me without me even asking her. She said "You can look through it and keep what you want and then give the rest to Goodwill." I feel like she's just trying to slough the stuff off on me to clean out her closet.

People are giving me things and it's not that I don't appreciate it, but if I'm given everything, I can't give my kid anything myself. I want to pick things out for my first born. Things that aren't hand me downs. But now I have a bouncy chair and it would be wasteful and also look like I'm ungrateful if I went and got one more my style and brand new.

It's the one thing I can do for my kid right now, buy the things he's going to need and I just feel like if people are giving me stuff, I don't get to do that. I don't get to provide for my baby.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything people are doing and giving me, but I want to do things to. I want to be his provider. I want to get my first born nice new stuff, not hand me downs. We're not poor, we can afford all the stuff he needs, but it would be wasteful to go get it now that someone else has given me a second hand thing from a yard sale.

I became so upset about this I actually cried my eyes out telling my husband about how I feel.

Another thing that makes me feel so completely and utterly guilty is that I am more disappointed I'm having a boy then I thought I would be. I really wanted a girl because I just don't understand boys. I don't get it. I'm so worried that I wont be able to bond with my child because I wont get him. I also really, really hate all the stuff they have for boys. It's all full of robots and cars and planes and I hate it all. It's all so generic and crappy and ugly and I hate it so now I don't like anything I CAN get for my kid and it's just become this huge cycle of depression, guilt, and annoyance.

Am I being ridiculous?

You're not being stupid or ridiculous; you're being pregnant.

Ask everyone who is offering you items whether they will want them back later -- if they will, decline to accept them on the grounds that you just can't promise to take good enough care of them and you'd be sad to return them in bad shape or break them before they can be returned.

For everything that your friends say they will not be asking you to return: Take everything that you cannot easily dodge, thank people sweetly, then donate the gently caress out of the pile, only retaining things that you really would like to keep. Your friend who was telling you they'd give you a pile and you could donate the rest? They're just clued into the fact that this is how hand-me-downs work. Embrace the system. Smile and donate, donate, donate. You are not being wasteful - you are getting those items to people who actually need them. Your friends will be happy because they will have gotten a pile of baby stuff out of their houses and gotten to feel like they helped you out. You will have the warm fuzzies of donating lots of stuff to people in need. Get receipts for your taxes.

Is it a pain to do donations? Yes, somewhat, but you can make your husband drop things off. And you're investing in the relationship with the other moms in your mom community. And no, you don't have to use anything hand-me-down for your firstborn if you can afford to buy new. If you have a second child, you'll probably be more into hand-me-downs for the second kid because all the stuff you already own will be defacto hand-me-downs from kid #1. But this is your first kid, and you wanna nest, so go for it.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Pregnancy is a poo poo sandwich.

:mad:

How accurate were your feelings regarding male/female?

ETA: Anyone had experience with these two conditions during pregnancy: hyperemesis gravidarium and urinary tract infection?

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 18, 2011

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Bahunter22 posted:

I'm still trying to get knocked up and I compulsively read things like this thread so I know what to expect. It hasn't put me off, but I'm really glad I know what kind of things to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Gumby Orgy posted:

How accurate were your feelings regarding male/female?

Do you mean whether we "felt" it was a boy/girl and whether we were right? From the very, very, beginning, like "Oh my god there are two lines on this pregnancy test, WHAT" beginning, I "felt" I was having a girl. Then at my first ultrasound at 9 weeks, the moment I saw the fuzzy blob on the screen I suddenly felt it might be a boy. By the time I had my second ultrasound at 19 weeks, I was thinking "girl" again and the ultrasound tech said it MIGHT be a girl, but babby was moving around way too much to tell. At my third ultrasound (to see the rest of the baby we couldn't see during the second ultrasound), the tech said she was 95% sure it was a girl. So in about 5 weeks I'll know for absolute sure, but I've definitely "felt" more girl than boy this whole pregnancy.