Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

tesilential posted:

Listen to Jos3h.

I brew 5 gal all grain batches with minimal equipment. I use a 23 qt pressure cooker, a small 4 quart pot and a fermentation bucket.

I mash in the bucket (holds an extra gallon compared to PC) and boil in the pressure cooker on my weak apartment and now town home electric stoves.

It takes about 30 minutes to heat strike water and 45 minutes to get a boil going with the airtight pressure cooker lid on. This is a locking weighted lid, MUCH tighter seal then any pot and lid or brew kettle and it still takes a substantial amount of time.

I honestly don't think I could boil 5 gal of water indoors without the pressure cookers

I am doing 5 gallon all grain BIAB brews in a bigass 20 gallon pot indoors.
I don't think I could do it with electric burners but the pot is big enough to put under 2 gas burners on my oven. I haven't timed my brew day but I'm thinking it takes me about 2x as long as you to heat the water.

I can't wait to get setup with a turkey burner outside.

Maybe you will luck out and have parents/grandparents with a big old pot they don't use like I did? (THANKS GRANDMA)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
While pricing a recipe for a Zombie dust clone, I realized that I can get a lb of citra hops for about the same price as the 9 oz I'll need. What issues are there with adding a lb? Obviously it won't be a clone anymore, but could I ruin the beer?

For reference, here's the recipe I was going to use.

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Bitterness: 65.2 IBU

Cointelprofessional fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 16, 2011

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
You can make a beer unpleasantly bitter. Why not just save the other 7 oz for other beers? That being said, I've done a beer with a pound of hops before and it was very good but it was a DIPA and you're in IPA range right now.

If you want to do it I'd add the extra hops at 5-0 min or dry hop with them so your IBUs don't get too high.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
All citra hopped beer :barf:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Josh Wow posted:

You can make a beer unpleasantly bitter. Why not just save the other 7 oz for other beers? That being said, I've done a beer with a pound of hops before and it was very good but it was a DIPA and you're in IPA range right now.

If you want to do it I'd add the extra hops at 5-0 min or dry hop with them so your IBUs don't get too high.

I'd also look into adding like another 10% of the grain bill by weight as table sugar. You need a big beer to stand up to a goddam pound of hops, but a good DIPA is also pretty dry. The sugar gives you the extra alcohol and and also helps it finish low.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got a recipe that calls for Northern Brewer hops at 60 and 20 minutes, but I'd rather use some of the bulk hops I have in my freezer instead of buying new ones. I haven't brewed with N.Brewer before, would Willamette or Cascade make a better substitute? It's a stout, so I'm not looking for too much hop flavor/aroma.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007

mattdev posted:

Widmer's X-114, Three Floyds Zombie Dust, Founders All-Day IPA, and Surly Wet all disagree.

I would save the excess hops if I could, but I don't have a vacuum sealer to preserve anything. I would prefer to just use them fresh rather than saving them.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Toebone posted:

I've got a recipe that calls for Northern Brewer hops at 60 and 20 minutes, but I'd rather use some of the bulk hops I have in my freezer instead of buying new ones. I haven't brewed with N.Brewer before, would Willamette or Cascade make a better substitute? It's a stout, so I'm not looking for too much hop flavor/aroma.

I'd go for Willamette for the 20 minute addition, and then whichever is higher alpha acid % for bittering (if you care about maximizing your hop use, otherwise just go all Willamette). Like you said, outside of certain American examples stouts don't have much hop character. Citrusy Cascade would be out of place in a traditional English or Irish stout, which is why I'd prefer Willamette and its more floral and earthy English caracter.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Cointelprofessional posted:

Widmer's X-114, Three Floyds Zombie Dust, Founders All-Day IPA, and Surly Wet all disagree.

I would save the excess hops if I could, but I don't have a vacuum sealer to preserve anything. I would prefer to just use them fresh rather than saving them.

You can go buy the ziploc bags that have a pump at the store. Not as good as a food saver, but better than nothing. You'll get 3 qt bags and a pump for like 4 bucks.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

mattdev posted:

Sorry dude, Zombie Dust and Wet are both loving delicious.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

Huge_Midget posted:

Sorry dude, Zombie Dust and Wet are both loving delicious.

I didn't know zombie dust was all citra. I had some of that the other day at a tasting (we don't get 3F out here at all) and I really didn't like it because it just reeked of cat piss to me. It all makes sense now.

Lord_Xar
Feb 1, 2006
Oh... I'm evil to the core!
Looking at brewing up my 3rd ever batch this weekend and wanted to do something a little different. I haven't gotten to all-grain yet, but extract w/ specilty grains is right up my alley. I wanted to brew an india red ale (ira) and was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for this. I've checked online and other than one from Double Mountain Brewery in Hood River, OR, I haven't found much. I haven't really gotten into making my own recipes yet, but would love to learn how. There any good sites to read up on this?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lord_Xar posted:

Looking at brewing up my 3rd ever batch this weekend and wanted to do something a little different. I haven't gotten to all-grain yet, but extract w/ specilty grains is right up my alley. I wanted to brew an india red ale (ira) and was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for this. I've checked online and other than one from Double Mountain Brewery in Hood River, OR, I haven't found much. I haven't really gotten into making my own recipes yet, but would love to learn how. There any good sites to read up on this?

I'm also brewing one of these soon.

If you want basically a red IPA you can just add 2 oz of roasted barley to any IPA recipe to get some red color.

Maybe 1 # crystal 60, 2 oz roasted barley, plus extract.

Jos3h posted a recipe a page or two back that has more crystal of you want a sweeter beer.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Corbet posted:

I did one batch of homebrew a few years ago and I'm looking to start up again. I remember having a ton of issues with boil overs because I was using a 12-quart pot and I want to get something bigger - should I just get a 20-quart or should I opt for something even bigger?

I do 5 gallon full boil batches in a 30 quart [7.5gal] turkey fryer kit. Instead of topping up, I opt to boil down to target volume so when it hits boil it's close to the rim.

With this setup, the vapor in the boil displacing volume, the foam gets pretty close to the top so I use a spray bottle full of water and squirt it keep the foam down. It's only really an issue before hot break happens and while I'm dialing in the heat for a steady rolling boil - so I only have to tend it for a few minutes.

http://thebrownbottle.wordpress.com/2010/03/12/the-basics-needed-for-all-grain-brewing/ The second pic down is pretty much exactly what I use. For a 60 minute boil, I fill it to the rivets and get almost precisely 5 gallons out of it every time.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Are ball lock kegs becoming harder to find? Keg Connection wants $50 for used ball lock kegs. They have cheaper 'converted' ones and an even cheaper one with a 'racetrack' lid. I'm pretty wary of going with either of those options.

I could go pin lock, but everything I've heard says ball lock is the way to go, plus aren't ball lock thinner, thus easier to fit more of them in a fridge?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I see 5 gallon cornies on kegconnection.com for $35, which seems pretty normal: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=421

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Prefect Six posted:

Are ball lock kegs becoming harder to find? Keg Connection wants $50 for used ball lock kegs. They have cheaper 'converted' ones and an even cheaper one with a 'racetrack' lid. I'm pretty wary of going with either of those options.

I could go pin lock, but everything I've heard says ball lock is the way to go, plus aren't ball lock thinner, thus easier to fit more of them in a fridge?

Prices do seem to be rising. I think this is for a couple of reasons:

1) They are not so widely used anymore. I think basically all of the soda fountains and bottlers have switched over to bag-in-a-box systems, so there are fewer kegs out there and the flood of decommissioned kegs is slowing to a trickle.

2) Scrap metal prices are very high right now.

I'm pretty sure either of kegconnection's lower-cost options will work ok. They are nonstandard, meaning some parts may be harder to find down the road, but these things really do hold up to abuse pretty well.

You are correct that pin-lock kegs are a little fatter than ball-locks. They are also a little shorter. Depending on your specific application, this can mean one or the other will fit better. I know a guy who specifically runs pin-locks because they work better for his kegerator.

You can also check around on Craigslist and such. I have heard that they do pop up from time to time in the $30-40 range, but that they tend to go fast when they do.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have a pair of converted ball lock kegs with "racetrack" lid. Seems to work fine. Got em from http://cornykeg.com/catalog.asp?prodid=674156 - split the order with a friend for savings on shipping.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Hey sup, I bought a Pin-lock keg just to fit in my fridge.

Racked my big-ol'-wheat onto the fresh (puree in a bag) cranberries. Made a loving huge mess, lets just say thankfully bleach gets cranberry stain off. I also tossed 4 apples into the mix after rereading the fruit section in Radical Brewing. I also had to break the secondaries in parts.

What I did: Realized all the fruit and their juice wasn't going to fit in the 5gal secondary. Racked from primary into bucket with bag and juice, then moved remaining -uncranberried - beer into a temp vessel. Racked the lightly soaked beer all back to the (now clean) bucket and then back into secondary with bag of goop, leaving some juice/beer mix behind. So I've got ~2gal not on the bag, but it's got the fresh juice mixed in with a blanket of co2 I attempted to put on top.

Here is to hoping it comes out.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I've been going through my kegs and rehabbing them all where needed.

Not shown:
3 - Five gallon kegs currently in the serving fridge
2 - Five gallon kegs on long term loan
1 - Three gallon and 1 - five gallon that need parts

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm jealous. My keg situation is a major bottleneck for me. I can brew a really really significant amount of beer in a day and I still only have 4 kegs and 2 faucets (and a fridge that can hold about 10 kegs..).

My biggest problem is that goddamned Perlick faucets are insanely expensive, and I refuse to use the cheap chrome faucets because of all the horror stories of chrome flaking off and gross buildup inside.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Those cornies that have only a handle and no collar should be the standard.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

RiggenBlaque posted:

Those cornies that have only a handle and no collar should be the standard.

Fun fact: Those little three-gallon kegs fit perfectly inside the five-gallon Rubbermaid cylindrical cooler if you remove the handle. This makes them perfect for taking beer along to BBQs, parties, camping trips, etc.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I did an 8 gallon batch in Mid-August just because I had some yeast I wanted to use up, 5 gallons went to what I was planning on doing and the extra 3 went to my extra yeast I had. While I've already finished drinking the main batch I just got around to kegging the extra 3 gallon batch today. The OG on it was 1.054 and my reused yeast cake of the Weihenstephan yeast took it down to 1.004. There's definitely no infection, after I took the reading I made sure to drink the entire hydrometer sample to try and identify any off flavors. The beer did get up to about 78* after primary fermentation had finished up (or so I thought) and I pulled it out of my chest freezer, so I assume that and the long time in primary are what took it down so far.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not familiar with that yeast but that's good attenuation. What temp did you mash at?

All of my brews see 78* for a week or three after primary and I haven't noticed especially high attenuation.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've become really comfortable with specialty grains but I'd like to jump to the simple mini-mash described on HBT to make an oatmeal stout.

I make six gallon batches with a base of 7lb pale LME. Does a half pound each of 2-row, roasted barley, flaked barley, 77L crystal, and instant oatmeal seem OK for the mini-mash? How much water would it need with 2.5lb of grain? I'm not sure how "conversion" is handled with unmalted oatmeal and barley in the mix.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

tesilential posted:

I'm not familiar with that yeast but that's good attenuation. What temp did you mash at?

154*F. The main beer was a black saison, the only thing that would have contributed to such a low FG would be .5 lb table sugar. The saison portion went down to 1.006 but that was with the French Saison yeast which is to be expected.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

mewse posted:

I've become really comfortable with specialty grains but I'd like to jump to the simple mini-mash described on HBT to make an oatmeal stout.

I make six gallon batches with a base of 7lb pale LME. Does a half pound each of 2-row, roasted barley, flaked barley, 77L crystal, and instant oatmeal seem OK for the mini-mash? How much water would it need with 2.5lb of grain? I'm not sure how "conversion" is handled with unmalted oatmeal and barley in the mix.

You'll probably want equal parts base malt and specialty grains. So if yo have a total of 2 pounds of specialty grains as you describe, you'll want 2 pounds of 2-row. For a mini-mash, water:grain ratio is less critical than in an all-grain recipe, but you'll want to think about something in the neighborhood of 1.25 quarts of water per pound of total grain. So if you had 2 pounds of specialty grain, plus 2 pounds of 2-row, 5 quarts of water would be a good place to start. Keep the whole thing between 150 and 160 for an hour, drain to your main boiler, and add water to make your preboil volume plus your malt extract.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jo3sh posted:

Keep the whole thing between 150 and 160 for an hour, drain to your main boiler, and add water to make your preboil volume plus your malt extract.

The easy mini mash thing describes sparging in a second pot, that would be a good idea right? 1 hr at ~155 to mash, then 15 minute sparge?

e: I love this thread so much, always helping with my stupid questions

mewse fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 18, 2011

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Yep, that seems like a good idea - it will help you get the most out of your grain.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I'm getting ready to start gathering ingredients for my 3rd brew; I'm just starting to drink my first (Irish Red kit that came with my starter kit from Midwest Brewing), getting ready to bottle my second brew this weekend (Amarillo-hopped wheat, loosely based off of 3 Floyd's Gumball Head, half the batch is going to get a pumpkin tincture addition at bottling), and I'm thinking of trying out a stout for my next batch.

So does anyone have a good (extract-based - don't have the equipment for all-grain yet) stout recipe I can get my feet wet with?

Also, has anyone tried making a tincture by doing a pressure infusion with a cream whipper yet? I'm going to start playing around with it myself soon, and just wanted to see if anyone has any tips or tricks.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

1) DME and LME are pretty well interchangeable, so you should have no problem there. I have not heard that LME is easier to caramelize, but I do know that old or poorly stored LME can darken over time. I think you'll have a hard time getting as pale a beer as you would from all-grain no matter how you do it. Whatever you choose, get the palest you can and do a late extract addition to keep the color pale. The oats will add enough gums that I don't think you'll have a heading issue.

2) Yes, that's correct. DME ~=45PPG; LME ~=36PPG. 45*0.8=36

3) I really think you're going to want to do a minimash rather than just a steep. Personally, I'd replace the aromatic malt with pilsner and hold it and the oats for an hour or so at around 150. Aromatic is not a steeping grain; it needs to be mashed. It does have the diastatic power you would need to convert itself and the oats, but I am not so sure its character goes well in a Wit.

4) Flaked oats are more like quick oats than regular rolled oats. Lots of people report success just chucking quick oats into the mash, but for rolled oats, you would need to gelatinize (cook) them first.

Thanks for this. Based on your suggestions and what I was able to pick up at my LHBS, here's my recipe which I'm hoping to brew this Sunday:

code:
6 lbs Breiss Wheat DME (1 lb @ 60min, 5 lbs @ 15min)
8 oz Belgian pilsner malt
4 oz rolled oats
1.0 oz Kent Goldings (bittering for 60 minutes)
0.5 oz Saaz (flavoring for 15 minutes)
0.5 oz Saaz (aroma for 1 minute)
3/4 tsp cracked coriander (for 15 minutes)
2 oz fresh Key Lime zest (for 15 minutes)
Wyeast 3944
SG 1.048 - 1.050
FG 1.010

Cook oats per package instructions with a little extra water to ensure full gelatinization.  
BIAB-mash pilsner + cooked oats for 1 hr @ 150 in 2 gallons water, sparging once with .5 gal water @ 170.
edit: unbreak table

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Where does everybody get their malt extracts?

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Northern Brewer or Midwest Supplies. It's mostly because I live near them and can avoid shipping costs. From my own experience and what other people say, they source quality products.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Morebeer, on the rare occasions I need any.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

JohnnySmitch posted:

So does anyone have a good (extract-based - don't have the equipment for all-grain yet) stout recipe I can get my feet wet with?

Basic, and loving awesome, extract dry stout recipe:
6lbs Pilsner LME
1lbs Roast Barley (I prefer English/Belgian as they're more assertive than North American or German varieties)
Optional: .5lbs Flaked Barley
30-40 IBUs of hops
Any English/American/German ale yeast. (I like WLP007, WLP023, Nottingham dry, Wyeast 1450)

Steep the barley in ~140-150* water for 30ish minutes, add the LME, bring to a boil, add your hops, let it rip for 60 mintues. Another addition of hops at ~10 is optional. Top off to about 5.25 gallons.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

indigi posted:

Any English/American/German ale yeast. (I like WLP007, WLP023, Nottingham dry, Wyeast 1450)

Wyeast Irish Ale is my fave for stouts. Gives a nice clean dry flavor. In a smallish stout it works well to bring out the character of the roastier grains.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hey rage saq and other brewers of Belgian styles, how do you carbonate your brews?

I have a dubbel (1.072 --> 1.015) that I need to carbonate. I had planned on bottling this batch but now I've found I don't have enough proper Belgian bottles and I'm worried about bottle bombs if I use regular Sam Adams type bottles.

I'd like to carbonate to at least 3.5 volumes as per style guidelines.

Should I keg and put it under 17 psi or so and then bottle from the keg in a few weeks? I'm not in a hurry to drink it but I need the fermenting space. I'd also rather not buy empty bottles.

How do you all carb your Belgians?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

tesilential posted:

Hey rage saq and other brewers of Belgian styles, how do you carbonate your brews?

I have a dubbel (1.072 --> 1.015) that I need to carbonate. I had planned on bottling this batch but now I've found I don't have enough proper Belgian bottles and I'm worried about bottle bombs if I use regular Sam Adams type bottles.

I'd like to carbonate to at least 3.5 volumes as per style guidelines.

Should I keg and put it under 17 psi or so and then bottle from the keg in a few weeks? I'm not in a hurry to drink it but I need the fermenting space. I'd also rather not buy empty bottles.

How do you all carb your Belgians?

3.5 is pretty high unless its a saison. I normally do all my Belgian beers (including most saisons) at 3.2vol/co2. Which is about 17psi at 38f. More time under co2 isn't going to hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Dumb newbie question: a recipe I'm looking to make this weekend calls for "1.75# Caramel/Crystal #20 for steeping"

Is this the correct grain to buy?