Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Is there a logical reason why SABnzb is disinclined to download more than one thing at once? If I have two downloads going, it ignores the second one to be added until it's finished the first. If I set them both to "force" it does them both at once, but it still prioritises whichever was added first. I've looked though the config options, but I can't see what might be causing this, or how to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Cwapface posted:

Is there a logical reason why SABnzb is disinclined to download more than one thing at once? If I have two downloads going, it ignores the second one to be added until it's finished the first. If I set them both to "force" it does them both at once, but it still prioritises whichever was added first. I've looked though the config options, but I can't see what might be causing this, or how to fix it.

My guess would be down to nzb's being made up of multiple downloads (rar/par) and the repair/extraction not being possible until the whole thing has downloaded. And so theres less multiple extractions happening at once.
It's possibly more efficient for one thing to download, then it can extract while the next job is downloading.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MeKeV posted:

My guess would be down to nzb's being made up of multiple downloads (rar/par) and the repair/extraction not being possible until the whole thing has downloaded. And so theres less multiple extractions happening at once.
It's possibly more efficient for one thing to download, then it can extract while the next job is downloading.
But the default setting is to pause downloads during extraction.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Cwapface posted:

Because then you'd be downloading both items at half your speed.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

duz posted:

Because then you'd be downloading both items at half your speed.

Yep. With Usenet, you're not just downloading "a thing" you're downloading thousands of articles comprising that thing, and are downloading one article at a time for however many connections you have. The end result should be that you're downloading at your full linespeed. So if you downloaded two things simultaneously you wouldn't get EITHER of them any faster, you'd only have the effect of halving your downstream.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

inpheaux posted:

Yep. With Usenet, you're not just downloading "a thing" you're downloading thousands of articles comprising that thing, and are downloading one article at a time for however many connections you have. The end result should be that you're downloading at your full linespeed. So if you downloaded two things simultaneously you wouldn't get EITHER of them any faster, you'd only have the effect of halving your downstream.
Ah okay. Well, surprisingly, this makes perfect sense. I thought the number of connections offered referred to how many things you could have downloading at once, not how many connections you're making at any given moment to download one thing, so more connections is faster to the same extent that your connection is. Makes me feel stupid for going with Supernews as a cheaper reseller with their 30 connections over Giganews with their 50. Sorry, I'm new to this. But it's kicking rear end so far! I'm getting stuff at a pretty much steady 10Mbps, which is, like, ludicrous for Australia, even though I'm on a (theoretical) 30/2 fibre connection.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 12, 2011

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Cwapface posted:

Makes me feel stupid for going with Supernews as a cheaper reseller with their 30 connections over Giganews with their 50.
So switch? To my knowledge there's no long-term plan with Giganews, so there should be no problem with cancelling GN and switching to SN.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Cwapface posted:

Ah okay. Well, surprisingly, this makes perfect sense. I thought the number of connections offered referred to how many things you could have downloading at once, not how many connections you're making at any given moment to download one thing, so more connections is faster to the same extent that your connection is. Makes me feel stupid for going with Supernews as a cheaper reseller with their 30 connections over Giganews with their 50. Sorry, I'm new to this. But it's kicking rear end so far! I'm getting stuff at a pretty much steady 10Mbps, which is, like, ludicrous for Australia, even though I'm on a (theoretical) 30/2 fibre connection.

10 connections can easily saturate my 15mb down, so I don't see why 50 would be much faster than 30. It's probably more to do with being in Australia.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

inpheaux posted:

So switch? To my knowledge there's no long-term plan with Giganews, so there should be no problem with cancelling GN and switching to SN.

I think he's saying the opposite, he wants to go from SN to GN for more speed.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Cwapface posted:

Telstra cable ? I was able to push it to 19Mbps once.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
(Aus chat) I peak at around 2.5MB/s through Internode's news service, which I believe is Astraweb? That's pretty much maxing my connection.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
Astraweb maxes out my 100 Mbit connection with only 15 connections active.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

deep square leg posted:

(Aus chat) I peak at around 2.5MB/s through Internode's news service, which I believe is Astraweb? That's pretty much maxing my connection.

yep but internode run a mirror of astraweb local thus you will always get awesome speeds from it.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

dj_pain posted:

yep but internode run a mirror of astraweb local thus you will always get awesome speeds from it.

I wondered that. A downside is that it doesn't support SSL so I was thinking of subscribing to something else anyway, but the speed drop would annoy me.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

deep square leg posted:

I hit 2.5 MB/s during the day and 3.5 MB/s at night on Supernews with my 100mbit Telstra Cable. These speeds seem normal for people from Australia, only those with providers that allow more connections hit faster speeds.

Rums
Jan 1, 2008
Anyone else having problems with the pause button on SABnzbd+? When I hit pause, the download just keeps going. If I pause the actual download itself, the download keeps going. If I pause the whole thing and the download, it might stop (sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't). If I go from paused (both individual and main) to a timer pause on the main pause button, it starts downloading again. It is incredibly frustrating. Any solutions?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I had written a while ago about having trouble using the web while Usenet was downloading. Specifically, I was unable to connect to any other pages while SABnzbd was running downloading.

All this talk about how connections actually work got me thinking. I currently run 8 connections through an Astraweb server, but my maximum network speed is only about 1.6-1.7 MB/s. I went into the server settings and dropped to 2 connections. Now, it appears that I'm getting my normal rates (maybe 1.4-1.5 MB/s), and the rest of the internet works.

Does it make sense that the redundant connections would prevent me from accessing other websites, or is this just a "it works, don't worry about it" situation.

vvvvv plausible, but I would honestly be surprised. It's relatively new, and a reliable brand. My speeds are about the same with this new configuration, and I don't have the same issues with bittorrent (though those speeds aren't generally as high).

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 13, 2011

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

The Modern Leper posted:

Does it make sense that the redundant connections would prevent me from accessing other websites, or is this just a "it works, don't worry about it" situation.

Could be your router is crappy and can't handle the load.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

dj_pain posted:

Telstra cable ? I was able to push it to 19Mbps once.
Yeah Telstra, in Brisbane. I actually have two home net connections (don't ask); ADSL2+ with TPG is the other, and I get the same speeds on both, which doesn't exactly make Telstra look good, but w/e I'll ditch them when the NBN rolls out in my area hopefully late next year.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 13, 2011

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
I have a bit of a silly question here about Sickbeard. My problem is that when I post-process anything it slows the computer down due to copying and pasting each file in the proper folder. Is there a way I can set it so that instead of re-name/copy/paste it just re-names/cuts/pastes instead?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

justlikedunkirk posted:

I have a bit of a silly question here about Sickbeard. My problem is that when I post-process anything it slows the computer down due to copying and pasting each file in the proper folder. Is there a way I can set it so that instead of re-name/copy/paste it just re-names/cuts/pastes instead?

Maybe you need to uncheck "Keep Original Files" in the post-processing settings?

<url>/config/postProcessing/

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just ran into a problem I'm hoping people here can help with. A bit of backstory: over the past few months my house has gone well over our bandwidth cap from Comcast, and we're in a bit of a bind. Between a bit of usenet & torrenting on my part (about 100gb/month), netflix/hulu streaming, and (this is the big one which I had no idea would count toward a cap) setting up crash plan online for three different computers in late September (I've got over a terabyte stored online for just my music photos and videos), we've been above our bandwidth limitations for the past three months. When I woke up our internet was shut off, and when I asked my aunt about it, she told me that, in fact, Comcast HAD been calling, but she ignored their messages because 'it sounded like they were trying to get me to buy something' :ughh: The internet's back on now, but the bandwidth has been capped to 200kb/s no matter what I'm doing, and I'm assuming after this billing cycle they're going to cut us off.

I'm kind of assuming we're screwed here, so I'm wondering if anyone's gone through the process of switching internet from Xfinity to their business class service, which I hear has no cap limits. Right now we're paying $47 per month, and business class internet seems to start at $60, which isn't that much worse to avoid these problems. Apart from that I don't really know what to do, the only other internet I know if in the area is AT&T's Uverse.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GobiasIndustries posted:

Just ran into a problem I'm hoping people here can help with. A bit of backstory: over the past few months my house has gone well over our bandwidth cap from Comcast, and we're in a bit of a bind. Between a bit of usenet & torrenting on my part (about 100gb/month), netflix/hulu streaming, and (this is the big one which I had no idea would count toward a cap) setting up crash plan online for three different computers in late September (I've got over a terabyte stored online for just my music photos and videos), we've been above our bandwidth limitations for the past three months. When I woke up our internet was shut off, and when I asked my aunt about it, she told me that, in fact, Comcast HAD been calling, but she ignored their messages because 'it sounded like they were trying to get me to buy something' :ughh: The internet's back on now, but the bandwidth has been capped to 200kb/s no matter what I'm doing, and I'm assuming after this billing cycle they're going to cut us off.

I'm kind of assuming we're screwed here, so I'm wondering if anyone's gone through the process of switching internet from Xfinity to their business class service, which I hear has no cap limits. Right now we're paying $47 per month, and business class internet seems to start at $60, which isn't that much worse to avoid these problems. Apart from that I don't really know what to do, the only other internet I know if in the area is AT&T's Uverse.

Be careful, I've heard of stories where once they cut you off, they won't sell you any kind of service for 12 months.
E: Here's his story: http://www.komonews.com/news/tech/125614378.html
Here's his blog: http://www.ozymandias.com/

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
I had a similar problem with Comcast and switched to business. I got the same call as you did, can't remember if they turned off our service. But it was easy to switch over. You get a separate bill and they give you a cable modem & router combo. Once their techs came by to hook up the new modem, we called Comcast to cancel the residential service. Since I've been on business class, there have been months where I've pulled down terabytes of data, not a peep.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Rums posted:

Anyone else having problems with the pause button on SABnzbd+? When I hit pause, the download just keeps going. If I pause the actual download itself, the download keeps going. If I pause the whole thing and the download, it might stop (sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't). If I go from paused (both individual and main) to a timer pause on the main pause button, it starts downloading again. It is incredibly frustrating. Any solutions?

I've not done any testing, so take this with a grain of salt:

Given that SABnzb+ has a display refresh timer, are you hitting pause and then not waiting until the page refreshes to say it has happened? If not, you may be hitting the pause button several times and whatever the last one as the refresh hits is the setting it would display. This may or may not be the actual final setting if you hammered that button.
Did that make sense?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lenins Potato posted:

I had a similar problem with Comcast and switched to business. I got the same call as you did, can't remember if they turned off our service. But it was easy to switch over. You get a separate bill and they give you a cable modem & router combo. Once their techs came by to hook up the new modem, we called Comcast to cancel the residential service. Since I've been on business class, there have been months where I've pulled down terabytes of data, not a peep.

That's very good to know, thanks. I think I'm going to try and get that finalized over the weekend. Just a few other questions about this: a) did you have to make up a phony business to get them to authorize it, or was it pretty straightforward? Also, it's stating there's a $200 installation fee..I'd imagine I'd be able to just pick up the modem and bypass all that, right? I know how to tighten a coax cable. Finally, and this is probably dumb, but I'm assuming the 59.95/month is the standard rate, not some promo, correct? I didn't see any *s and checked all the fine print, I just don't want my aunt to have to deal with the bill doubling suddenly because I missed something.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

That's very good to know, thanks. I think I'm going to try and get that finalized over the weekend. Just a few other questions about this: a) did you have to make up a phony business to get them to authorize it, or was it pretty straightforward? Also, it's stating there's a $200 installation fee..I'd imagine I'd be able to just pick up the modem and bypass all that, right? I know how to tighten a coax cable. Finally, and this is probably dumb, but I'm assuming the 59.95/month is the standard rate, not some promo, correct? I didn't see any *s and checked all the fine print, I just don't want my aunt to have to deal with the bill doubling suddenly because I missed something.
I've done the same, switched to Comcast business last winter and used 2TB+/month for month after month with zero issues. I didn't bother waiting for warnings, I was already using well over the alleged 250GB/month limit and got a ton of extra capacity and wanted to cancel my cable TV, so I knew I'd be using tons of bandwidth for a while. I moved and am back to regular $30/month poo poo because I got caught up on all my backlogged poo poo for now. You should be able to get them to waive the $200 install fee, though they might still insist on sending someone out. Business uses DOCSIS 3 modems and Comcast insists you can't just buy your own, don't know if they're full of poo poo or what, but you can't get those for $25 like DOCSIS 2 modems anyway so no big deal. They're not going to give a poo poo if you're "really a business" or whatever, if it ever comes up just tell them you're a consultant or do contract work and need to back up lots of projects online and don't want to deal with bandwidth cap hassles.

The only issue I can imagine is that you've already violated their cap so many times, I've gone up to ~400GB/month without any warning or throttling, though I have a friend who used to live in a different neighborhood in the same town and he got automatically throttled (but no warnings given) after 250GB.

edit: also, $60/mo was standard pricing for me as well, though the one condition was that it's a contract (rare for cable/TV ISPs from my understanding), i.e. if your aunt moved, she'd have to keep using that Comcast business internet for at least a year unless she moves somewhere without Comcast service.

Straker fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 15, 2011

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

No, I didn't have to make up a business. They didn't care about any of that. I even flat out told them I was in cap trouble on residential. The install fee, no way around that. You have to use their equipment. Like Straker said, I'm not sure how hard they'll press the issue if you get your own Docsis 3 modem, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Thats also the same standard rate I'm paying too.

Edit: Oh, the great thing about Business class is the customer service. When you call them up, you typically don't have to go through the whole "unplug your modem" bullshit before they even check to see if there is a problem in the area.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lenins Potato posted:

The install fee, no way around that. You have to use their equipment. Like Straker said, I'm not sure how hard they'll press the issue if you get your own Docsis 3 modem, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Thats also the same standard rate I'm paying too.

Hmm..the modem I don't mind paying for/using theirs, but the actual installation fee might be a bit steep right now..

Ok, last ISP question for now, and thanks to everyone for answering, I didn't see another thread for this: After researching a bit more last night, I looked up the company that provided my fraternity with service at our the house we owned before I joined, ACD.net. For 54.95 a month, they offer a 20/2 ADSL2+ connection, and everything on their website seems to indicate they're pretty big on not interfering with what their customers do. We were on the 20/2 package at the fraternity, and with 20 tech-savvy guys on a non-business account, they never got a call about using too much bandwidth, and I'm sure they had that line saturated 24/7.

We're about a quarter mile from one of their central offices, so I'd imagine the speeds would be pretty good. I've never personally used a DSL account, but seems like a pretty drat good deal, no?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hmm..the modem I don't mind paying for/using theirs, but the actual installation fee might be a bit steep right now..

Ok, last ISP question for now, and thanks to everyone for answering, I didn't see another thread for this: After researching a bit more last night, I looked up the company that provided my fraternity with service at our the house we owned before I joined, ACD.net. For 54.95 a month, they offer a 20/2 ADSL2+ connection, and everything on their website seems to indicate they're pretty big on not interfering with what their customers do. We were on the 20/2 package at the fraternity, and with 20 tech-savvy guys on a non-business account, they never got a call about using too much bandwidth, and I'm sure they had that line saturated 24/7.

We're about a quarter mile from one of their central offices, so I'd imagine the speeds would be pretty good. I've never personally used a DSL account, but seems like a pretty drat good deal, no?

Sounds great. Might be worth talking to the fraternity member responsible for the internet and talk to him about the company, as well as doing research (i.e. Googling). Can never be too cautious!

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Is it normal for automatic unpacking of big files (say 10GB) to choke the poo poo out of your system? I'm running an i5 2500 with 4GB of PC10600 and my system is just totally unusable while a big file is being extracted after download, even though nothing else of any note is going on. If I was extracting a .rar of the same size manually, I wouldn't notice any slowdown.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Cwapface posted:

Is it normal for automatic unpacking of big files (say 10GB) to choke the poo poo out of your system? I'm running an i5 2500 with 4GB of PC10600 and my system is just totally unusable while a big file is being extracted after download, even though nothing else of any note is going on. If I was extracting a .rar of the same size manually, I wouldn't notice any slowdown.

Yeah, for some reason the big files just kill my system. It's gotten to the point where I'd rather unpack the files manually rather than being all "why so slow, bad computer! oh ..."

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Cwapface posted:

Is it normal for automatic unpacking of big files (say 10GB) to choke the poo poo out of your system? I'm running an i5 2500 with 4GB of PC10600
Processor speed, ram quantity and ram speed have nothing to do with unrar. What's your disk situation like? A bunch of low-power WD Green drives? For unrar and par2 to operate well you need high-end drives, stuff chugging along at 7200 rpm or better like a raptor or something SSD based.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

inpheaux posted:

Processor speed, ram quantity and ram speed have nothing to do with unrar. What's your disk situation like? A bunch of low-power WD Green drives? For unrar and par2 to operate well you need high-end drives, stuff chugging along at 7200 rpm or better like a raptor or something SSD based.

Ideally one would have an SSD based system and move the files to a NAS (or whatever other storage array one wants) once it's done unpacking then?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ControlledBurn posted:

Ideally one would have an SSD based system and move the files to a NAS (or whatever other storage array one wants) once it's done unpacking then?

That was what I ended up doing, I was getting too much slowdown when downloads were doing the post completion stuff with a traditional platter drive. Added a cheap Kingston SSD to the system which remedied everything.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

ControlledBurn posted:

Pretty much as long as it's not the system drive you shouldn't really notice a hit. I have SAB download to one drive, extract to a another and then SickBeard post-processes to one of 3 drives that store my TV shows. I never notice any slowdown at all, since all the disk I/O is happening off my system drive.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

Disgustipated posted:

Pretty much as long as it's not the system drive you shouldn't really notice a hit. I have SAB download to one drive, extract to a another and then SickBeard post-processes to one of 3 drives that store my TV shows. I never notice any slowdown at all, since all the disk I/O is happening off my system drive.

Indeed. I have two 7200RPM drives and let it download/extract to my secondary, but even when I had a lovely USB external drive as a secondary, it was fine.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I'm thinking of switching Usenet providers. I'm currently paying $22.99 a month at Newsdemon, the service is good but I could be getting cheaper for the same service pretty much. I wasn't aware of many other providers apart from Giganews before reading this thread, due to my own ignorance of not shopping around.

Supernews sounds good, but what I like about Newsdemon is that it has a UK server. I have a 50MB connection so I'm used to downloading at 5MB/s+ a second, if I could be guaranteed that at perhaps Supernews or Usenetserver I'd switch in a heartbeat. Hmm.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I get 15MB on supernews. Don't see why you wouldn't be able to get 5.

Also lmao $23 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
If you get supernews, make sure to get a block account with another provider (blocknews is a favorite), some of those Linux distros comes down in a few days and uploaders don't always provide enough pars.