Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TheState posted:

Got the 11" MBA yesterday. I'm pretty happy with it, except that I forgot to buy a case for it at the Apple store and Best Buy doesn't have any that fit it. Guess I'll go buy a manilla envelope, herp derp.

http://www.macworld.com/article/156205/2010/12/stm_jacket_xs.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

So I don't have my MBP I was using through work any longer, and as a result don't own a Mac. Running OSX86 is a pain in the rear end and I want a computer solely for XCode (iOS stuff) and maybe some web design. Is the base Mac Mini sufficient? I'm assuming yes in this case. I can keep my custom PC for games, so graphics don't necessarily matter. The 2GB of RAM sucks, but I can upgrade that for cheap at some point.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Mac Mini will work just fine.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
Seconding this STM bag. Perfectly acts as a sleeve (to slide into a bigger case or backpack when you're traveling heavy), or perfect as a laptop-and-charger-only slim case with the shoulder strap (when traveling light).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wolffenstein posted:

Mac Mini will work just fine.
Yeah just upgrade the RAM...and perhaps the HD cause the stock drive may be painfully slow.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

japtor posted:

Yeah just upgrade the RAM...and perhaps the HD cause the stock drive may be painfully slow.

Picked one up (took a bit since there were maybe 200 people in the store for 4S stuff); runs great so far, just in the process of updating the software.

Edit: I might try to put my Crucial M4 (128GB) in the system, if I feel up to it (installation seems like a little bit of a pain), but I've also read in a couple places that the M4s have issues. Not sure about it.

Also, will http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139083 work, RAM-wise? I don't see why it wouldn't.

double sulk fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 16, 2011

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes it's a huge difference.

I wonder why they choose to include the Geforce 9400M but not the GT version for the 2010 MBP. :confused: I know it's still not the greatest, but it was the best you could get at the time. (And I want to know how many fps of Starcraft 2 I'm missing out on).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

lord funk posted:

I wonder why they choose to include the Geforce 9400M but not the GT version for the 2010 MBP. :confused: I know it's still not the greatest, but it was the best you could get at the time. (And I want to know how many fps of Starcraft 2 I'm missing out on).
That does seem a bit weird, but I'm guessing they had the low end 15" that only had the 9400M. Check notebookcheck.net and figure out relative performance I guess :shobon:

Rog McDodge
Oct 21, 2005
I've been looking at upgrading the RAM in my iMac but I'm getting confused.

It's a 2009 model (borrowed from work), 20 inch with a 2.0 Core 2 Duo and currently has 2GB of DDR in it.

Now Crucial System Scan is telling me it will only take 4GB (2x2GB) but reading on Apple's site it says the 2009 iMacs can take 2x4GB.

Any clues who I should believe?

EDIT: Looking around there is more info about the model on this page

Read that suggests that although it was originally only capable of 4GB it is 8GB now.

Should I just go for 8GB?

Rog McDodge fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 16, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It should take 8 GB no problem. The mid-2009 iMac (which is what I'm assuming is your model since you didn't bother reading the OP /FAQ to give us the model id) is a funny bird, as previous and later 20-inch models are somewhat faster. If the machine is still in warranty make sure to put back the original chips before submitting it for service.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sulk posted:

Also, will http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139083 work, RAM-wise? I don't see why it wouldn't.

No, you need 1333MHz not 1066MHz.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I drug my 2011 13" MBP over to Starbucks today, going to run the battery down since it's on my desk all the time. I've been taking my 11" Air with me lately.

The big differences:
  • 4.5 lbs vs 2.38 lbs makes it feel like a literal brick
  • holy loving glossy screen. gently caress gently caress gently caress. It's a computer not a mirror
  • I don't have to squint to view the screen. My contact prescription is like -9.50 so it might not be an issue for you
  • I've been here 2 hours and my battery is only at 76%. I'd be closer to 50 with the 11" Air
I still have to figure out if I'm going to sell both and consolidate into one or what. I love the portability of the 11" but that can't be my only machine, even with a big monitor at home.

Rog McDodge
Oct 21, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

It should take 8 GB no problem. The mid-2009 iMac (which is what I'm assuming is your model since you didn't bother reading the OP /FAQ to give us the model id) is a funny bird, as previous and later 20-inch models are somewhat faster. If the machine is still in warranty make sure to put back the original chips before submitting it for service.

My bad. Just been on MacTracker as suggested in the OP.

It is a mid-2009 model, an education one to be precise.

MacTracker says 4GB is maximum memory, Crucial says 4GB. Site I found is 8GB and there is no specific reference to the model on Apples site.

Looking at the specs versus the other machines at the time, the only difference is the Core 2 Duo being 2ghz as opposed to 2.66ghz - that shouldn't stop it taking the 8GB though should it?

Will I see a big performance leap? 2GB is miserly...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The 9400M makes me think it'd take 8GB but I don't know for sure. Like the Mac minis of that era didn't support 8GB at launch, but a firmware update enabled it later on. According to that EveryMac page it sounds like the same deal with that iMac at least. Just buy 8GB from a place with a flexible return policy, worst case you just swap it for 4GB if it doesn't work.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

No, you need 1333MHz not 1066MHz.

I got 8GB of Crucial for $40 (a hell of a steal) and the system is dramatically quicker. The only real bottleneck right now is the hard drive, but I'll try to install the M4 I have at some point. It's absurd to think though that Apple is throwing 2GB in these by default. The system barely functions at a decent level if you have more than four or five applications open.

double sulk fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 17, 2011

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Pour one out, boys.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Aatrek posted:

Pour one out, boys.

Nah, thanks, I'm good. I might if it were one I owned personally and managed to hammer a 550 MHz G4 CPU into (yes they actually used to sell those for CRT iMacs) and it had finally given up the ghost.

All I see there is a CRT waiting to be discharged. :smith:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sulk posted:

It's absurd to think though that Apple is throwing 2GB in these by default.

Especially since they've been putting in 4 GB by default in all MBP's for at least a year.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Sulk posted:

It's absurd to think though that Apple is throwing 2GB in these by default. The system barely functions at a decent level if you have more than four or five applications open.
I think it's partly because they're clearing out the glut of 2GB DIMMs that the memory manufacturers have now and making a tidy profit on it. I think they're getting them at something absurdly cheap like $4 / stick now and they're clearly trying to keep margins on even the Mac Mini nice and high. They manufactured a very handy door that primarily serves the function of letting users replace the RAM themselves, too. If they wanted us to stick with that 2GB, they'd have left the case like the older Mac Minis and spent less of their money to help us replace RAM.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hey guys, I need an eSATA card for a Mac Pro. Not doing any any RAID, just for hooking up a 4-bay JBOD port multiplier (and the occasional single disk) that's just used for storage, never as the working drive. Any reason I shouldn't get a cheapo Silicon Image card?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Is there any way to hook up 2 external monitors to a 2010 MBP?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

astr0man posted:

Is there any way to hook up 2 external monitors to a 2010 MBP?

This:

http://texasviking.com/hardware/monoprice-com-usb-video-adapter-6038-review/

Or this:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/#close

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Does anyone have experience with that USB video adapter? The other one is a bit more than I would want to spend on this. I'm not going to be doing anything graphics extensive on the second monitor, I just want more screen real estate for doing some coding.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

astr0man posted:

Does anyone have experience with that USB video adapter? The other one is a bit more than I would want to spend on this. I'm not going to be doing anything graphics extensive on the second monitor, I just want more screen real estate for doing some coding.

I've used these before:

They're slow, but it's better than nothing. It can get choppy but if you just want one for reading PDF files or a terminal window they're great.

I've also used the VillageTronic PC card ones which are pretty slow too.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
I'm starting to get a bit of streaking on my iMac. It's strange because it mostly seems like condensation that is leaving dust marks. The streaks fade 99% when the computer is under load, but if I wake from sleep it looks like the LCD is really blotchy on the right side of the monitor where there doesn't seem to be really anything hot.

My question: what's the right protocol for dealing with this? I've read all sorts of things online but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on people fixing this problem by taking off the glass. Should I get some of those dehumidifier crystals, take off the screen and clean it, or take it to the Apple store? Does it cost money if I take it to the Apple store? I'm currently covered by Applecare.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
If anyone's interested, I just put my iMac up for sale in SA Mart.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Any reason to not buy a Mac off of amazon versus from the Apple Store (or even a retail store)? Seems like you can get stuff slightly cheaper with Amazon's Prime.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sasquatch! posted:

Any reason to not buy a Mac off of amazon versus from the Apple Store (or even a retail store)? Seems like you can get stuff slightly cheaper with Amazon's Prime.

Check refurb pricing.

Primary sources for Apple computers should always be:
  • Apple refurb (not always in stock, have to wait a couple months for new models, sometimes BTO models)
  • Apple education (BTO options, cheap AppleCare)
  • Amazon (no tax in many states, free shipping, no BTO)
  • MicroCenter
The only time you buy from the Apple store proper should be if you need a new machine the day it comes out. Otherwise, stick to the previously listed channels.
If you're shopping for an Air, it's not on refurb as of the last time I checked (some time last week).

I'll add this to the OP since it gets asked a lot.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 17, 2011

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

If you're shopping for an Air, it's not on refurb as of the last time I checked (some time last week).

I'll add this to the OP since it gets asked a lot.
Cool info, thanks. Amazon ahoy!
(And it'll be a Mini, which I haven't seen on the refurb page since the new upgrade.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sasquatch! posted:

(And it'll be a Mini, which I haven't seen on the refurb page since the new upgrade.)
Nope, no new Minis or Airs yet on refurb. They should show up any day now though.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
There were some refurb 2011 minis very briefly sometime last week, according to this: http://refurb-tracker.com/

Prices were $519 for the low end, $699 for the high end.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I think the main drive in my iMac is starting to die, I'm getting messages like this occasionally in dmesg, and when it does this my mac beach balls and can't read a particular file.

code:
hfs: cat_lookup_siblinglinks: getkey for 8958579 failed 2
disk0s2: I/O error.
         0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [ErrType IO] [ErrNo 5] [IOType Read] [PBlkNum 1806132392] [LBlkNum 966] [FSLogMsgID 970174194] [FSLogMsgOrder First] 
         0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [DevNode /dev/disk0s2] [MountPt /] [Path /.Spotlight-V100/Store-V2/83EB9359-393D-447A-A186-5DCDD7E63D40/1.indexPositions] [FSLogMsgID 970174194] [FSLogMsgOrder Last] 
hfs: cat_lookup_siblinglinks: getkey for 8959522 failed 2
nspace-handler-set-snapshot-time: 1318882050
Is there a tool like spin rite for macs that will go through and check the sectors on the drive for bad blocks? Or if I take it to the genius bar will they look at these log messages and just change the drive? I'm still under applecare...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Start backing up your files now, but you can quickly check in Disk Utility by attempting to Verify the disk. It displays SMART info under the 'Information' tab, IIRC.

Definitely have them replace the drive though; FWIW when the drive in my MBP started going, I just told them that I saw the SMART messages piling up in syslog, and they took my word for it. Even let me keep the old drive after I asked nicely.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

echobucket posted:

Is there a tool like spin rite for macs that will go through and check the sectors on the drive for bad blocks?

Tech Tool Pro 6 and Drive Genius both have the ability to scan for bad blocks, DG does go one step further and spares out the bad sectors, drawback is that this can wind up nuking your files if the your files are sitting on the bad sectors.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

movax posted:

Start backing up your files now, but you can quickly check in Disk Utility by attempting to Verify the disk. It displays SMART info under the 'Information' tab, IIRC.

Definitely have them replace the drive though; FWIW when the drive in my MBP started going, I just told them that I saw the SMART messages piling up in syslog, and they took my word for it. Even let me keep the old drive after I asked nicely.

Cool, I make a mirrored backup every night with Chronosync, so I'm good on that front, Disk utility doesn't show anything wrong, but I downloaded a program called "Smart Utility" and it shows this:

http://f.cl.ly/items/082z2c1j1Z473l0L1N3Z/Screen%20Shot%202011-10-17%20at%2011.11.50%20PM.png

I'm guessing if I just show the Genius that I'll probably get a new drive.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

TheState posted:

Got the 11" MBA yesterday. I'm pretty happy with it, except that I forgot to buy a case for it at the Apple store and Best Buy doesn't have any that fit it. Guess I'll go buy a manilla envelope, herp derp.

I use this. Only had mine for a week or so but liking the case so far.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

echobucket posted:

Cool, I make a mirrored backup every night with Chronosync, so I'm good on that front, Disk utility doesn't show anything wrong, but I downloaded a program called "Smart Utility" and it shows this:

http://f.cl.ly/items/082z2c1j1Z473l0L1N3Z/Screen%20Shot%202011-10-17%20at%2011.11.50%20PM.png

I'm guessing if I just show the Genius that I'll probably get a new drive.

Yep, instant new drive for you. Good on you for keeping backups! When you take it in, plan to stay at the store for awhile; they wouldn't let me leave with just a blank HDD, they had to ghost Snow Leopard back onto it. Though being an iMac, I suppose it'll take a long while more than a MBP anyways.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

movax posted:

Yep, instant new drive for you. Good on you for keeping backups! When you take it in, plan to stay at the store for awhile; they wouldn't let me leave with just a blank HDD, they had to ghost Snow Leopard back onto it. Though being an iMac, I suppose it'll take a long while more than a MBP anyways.

I figured I might have to leave it overnight and pick it up the next day... I guess it depends on how busy they are.

What's weird about this drive is that the SMART status in System Profiler shows "Verified", only this utility shows FAILING. I also tried a copy of Drive Genius and it scanned the drive and it shows bad sectors too.

I guess the morale of this is don't trust the SMART status in System Profiler.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

passionate dongs posted:

I'm starting to get a bit of streaking on my iMac. It's strange because it mostly seems like condensation that is leaving dust marks. The streaks fade 99% when the computer is under load, but if I wake from sleep it looks like the LCD is really blotchy on the right side of the monitor where there doesn't seem to be really anything hot.

My question: what's the right protocol for dealing with this? I've read all sorts of things online but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on people fixing this problem by taking off the glass. Should I get some of those dehumidifier crystals, take off the screen and clean it, or take it to the Apple store? Does it cost money if I take it to the Apple store? I'm currently covered by Applecare.

I'm not sure if what you're describing is the same as the problem I had with my iMac, but I had a problem with dust getting sucked into my iMac when the fans kicked up under load. I started getting black/grey spots under the glass and it drove me berserk. I took it in and they fixed it under Applecare (coincidentally they eventually replaced it because the graphic card fried itself a few times).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

I'm not sure if what you're describing is the same as the problem I had with my iMac, but I had a problem with dust getting sucked into my iMac when the fans kicked up under load. I started getting black/grey spots under the glass and it drove me berserk. I took it in and they fixed it under Applecare (coincidentally they eventually replaced it because the graphic card fried itself a few times).

I had the exact same thing happen to my iMac. The genius suggested it could be caused by burning candles around your iMac while it was on and it sucking in soot. Then again it might just be dust. Whatever it is, it ends up getting inside the LCD panel as well as inside the glass and they had to replace my panel to fix it. This was all covered under my Applecare.